ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giants picked up the 5th year option on Barkley.
New CBA makes it fully guaranteed when picked up.

Cap Hits:
2021: $10.0m
2022: $7.2m

Think that was more or less guaranteed to be picked up by the team.

He is also eligible for a contract extension this offseason.
I wonder if there is any pressure, from either side, to start talking about a contract now.

Would assume the other top 2018 picks will start getting contract extensions in the next couple of months:
Baker, Ward, Chubb, Nelson, Lamar (not top pick but definitely a top performer from the draft)

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-pick-up-fifth-year-option-on-rb-saquon-barkley

Last edited:
Looking at the Giants cap numbers for 2022 with Barkley now guaranteed.
Better really hope the team is productive this year.

All the backloading and restructuring of contracts for the 2021 signings go up ALOT in 2022.
They are already at $195m with only 39 players under contract
This is a Win-Now team it looks like.

2022 Cap Hits:
Williams - $26.5m
Bradberry - $20.5m
Golladay - $21.15m (hey remember when everyone complained about the OBJ cap number and said teams don't win Super Bowls with a high priced WR? That was a fun time)
Adoree Jackson - $15.5m
Logan Ryan - $10.7m
Shepard - $10.5m

Luckily Jones will still be cheap ($8.3m).
He won't be over $20m until 2023.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-giants/

So who should we be looking for tonight?

Pass rusher? OL? Figure we are now set at WR.

Haven't paid much attention.

So who should we be looking for tonight?

Pass rusher? OL? Figure we are now set at WR.

Haven't paid much attention.

Edge rusher. Paye (Michigan St.) Phillips (Miami) or Oweh (Penn St) in the 1st, or
Rousseau (Miami) in the 2nd or Odeyingdo (Vandy) in the 3rd

OT: Slater(Northwestern) in the 1st or Little (Stanford) in the 2nd

With a deep WR class Elijah Moore (Miss.) might be a value pick in the 2nd

Reactions: RU-05
Edge rusher. Paye (Michigan St.) Phillips (Miami) or Oweh (Penn St) in the 1st, or

Given injuries and inconsistency amongst our receiving corp in recent years even with Galloway I'd be all for adding in the 2nd rnd. Just not in the 1st.

How do those 1st rnd pass rushers compare to the OL guy as per BPA? Are all thought to be solid picks around our spot?

Given injuries and inconsistency amongst our receiving corp in recent years even with Galloway I'd be all for adding in the 2nd rnd. Just not in the 1st.

How do those 1st rnd pass rushers compare to the OL guy as per BPA? Are all thought to be solid picks around our spot?

None are rated as highly as OT Slater. And as per my earlier comment about a trade down for value if there is a QB left on the board that is coveted, one or more will be available if they trade down 3 to 6 slots. The edge rusher who is rated above them and near Slater is Parsons of Penn St., but I'm wary about a possible case of Nuke LaLoosh disease.

Looking at the Giants cap numbers for 2022 with Barkley now guaranteed.
Better really hope the team is productive this year.

All the backloading and restructuring of contracts for the 2021 signings go up ALOT in 2022.
They are already at $195m with only 39 players under contract
This is a Win-Now team it looks like.

2022 Cap Hits:
Williams - $26.5m
Bradberry - $20.5m
Golladay - $21.15m (hey remember when everyone complained about the OBJ cap number and said teams don't win Super Bowls with a high priced WR? That was a fun time)
Adoree Jackson - $15.5m
Logan Ryan - $10.7m
Shepard - $10.5m

Luckily Jones will still be cheap ($8.3m).
He won't be over $20m until 2023.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-giants/
Is Jones good enough to be over $20m ? I don’t see them keeping shep with that cap hit

Reactions: NickRU714

Out of them Edge Rushers I like Paye the best. Phillips has injury issues and Oweh is more of a 2nd round IMO. I think he had zero sacks last year. One name to watch out for is Azeez Ojulari from Georgia I think they like him.
Something about Parsons worries me. Will they take another guy with character issues after what happened with Baker?
I would prefer them go O line in the 1st but who knows. The kid from USC Vera Tucker I read was on their radar. Like you said WR is very deep this year. I did hear Judge only went to two pro days. Parsons Penn St and Phillips Miami so that may mean something or not.

Check out this story on Paye. It will make you like him.

Out of them Edge Rushers I like Paye the best. Phillips has injury issues and Oweh is more of a 2nd round IMO. I think he had zero sacks last year. One name to watch out for is Azeez Ojulari from Georgia I think they like him.
Something about Parsons worries me. Will they take another guy with character issues after what happened with Baker?
I would prefer them go O line in the 1st but who knows. The kid from USC Vera Tucker I read was on their radar. Like you said WR is very deep this year. I did hear Judge only went to two pro days. Parsons Penn St and Phillips Miami so that may mean something or not.

Check out this story on Paye. It will make you like him.

If they go OL at 11 the only name, if still available, is Slater. As you can tell from my prior post, I share your concerns about Parsons.

Reactions: Postman_1
Is Jones good enough to be over $20m ? I don’t see them keeping shep with that cap hit
Really remains to be seen. Big season for him coming up. Question becomes more interesting if he and the team are OK, but Gettlemen gets the ax. Even then I figure he gets at least another year.

Really remains to be seen. Big season for him coming up. Question becomes more interesting if he and the team are OK, but Gettlemen gets the ax. Even then I figure he gets at least another year.
Yep. I think the worst thing for the giants would be for Barkley and Jones to have average type seasons the next two years . With the team not really sure if they should go on with them

Yep. I think the worst thing for the giants would be for Barkley and Jones to have average type seasons the next two years . With the team not really sure if they should go on with them
2 average seasons from either and they are gone imo.

Problem is, you extend contracts in advance. So they, or their cap hit, might linger beyond that. Not really sure how that works.

Reactions: Plum Street

Problem is, you extend contracts in advance. So they, or their cap hit, might linger beyond that. Not really sure how that works.

With Barkley that's problematic as full recovery from an ACL can take more than a full season. Jones is more dependent on his supporting cast, but can be more fairly evaluated.

With Barkley that's problematic as full recovery from an ACL can take more than a full season. Jones is more dependent on his supporting cast, but can be more fairly evaluated.
But 2 average seasons from Barks? Plus the contract consideration?

Way early on that, but where would he get big money if it came to pass?
Like where around the league? Ya I doubt he would. But does he sign with us prior at a price we are comfortable with? Which is likely lower then what he would want, and certainly lower then what he at one time envisioned he would get.

I hear ya though, not a now problem, need to get him back healthy and hopefully productive first.

Way early on that, but where would he get big money if it came to pass?

I think you are right the book is finally out "don't give a RB a huge contract extension".
Can't see another RB getting a huge contract.

Ezekiel Elliot
Todd Gurley II
Leonard Fournette
McCaffrey (productive but team isn't going anywhere with him as the offensive lead)

Just look at the 5th year option numbers:
Barkely - $7m for RB with a Pro Bowl
Darnold - $18m for a QB who has just played a lot of snaps

I agree . Unless they come back on team friendly deals . But that would mean it’s time to think about getting a quarterback

Heard #1 next year were super valuable because teams will be able to do a full real evaluation of prospects.

Reactions: TM94goRU
That was a great deal by DG. Bears, will they get lucky with Fields I wonder.

Name the last great NFL QB from OSU
What a tough question. On the NFL level I don't think they have had one. I will say Mike Tomzayke however you spell it was ok. Former OSU QB Tom Tupa was a good NFL Punter, so there is that.

Art Schlicter may have been great, if he could have stayed away from gambling and prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT