ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m relaxed. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings with my facts. Sorry.

Next time, watching a few seconds of film and reading anything before posting might be useful as a tip
😆, Personally I don't like drafting WR in the first round unless you believe they will be Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, or Calvin "Megatron" Johnson. There are just so many that can play.

Reactions: ashokan
Got a extra 1st, 3rd and 4th next year so far. I’m hoping for a O linemen tonight and a edge rusher

Reactions: TM94goRU
😆, Personally I don't like drafting WR in the first round unless you believe they will be Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, or Calvin "Megatron" Johnson. There are just so many that can play.
I probably would have preferred OL but I’m fine with it since they fixed so many holes in FA

I probably would have preferred OL but I’m fine with it since they fixed so many holes in FA
Look in hindsight i should not have posted. You and the other poster sound like the diehard I use to be. I was making an attempt to get back into it. Not trying to troll anyone.

Reactions: GORU2014
I didn't call you out specifically originally, I just noted there were some impressively false statements about this pick.

Only later did we get into the details.
Facts and stats don’t matter to some.

Got a extra 1st, 3rd and 4th next year so far. I’m hoping for a O linemen tonight and a edge rusher
I'm meh on a late round edge rusher. Especially in a draft where there were no high ends ones.

I'll take a stab at shooting from the hip(aka pulling out my arse) but I imagine it's rare to find a high end pass rusher late.

1st rnd talent, but a bit of a knee issue? I feel we haven't done real well with that over the years.

Look in hindsight i should not have posted. You and the other poster sound like the diehard I use to be. I was making an attempt to get back into it. Not trying to troll anyone.
All good, hopefully they give everyone more of a reason to watch this year

Really liked the trade down again as well as the LB/Edge they got at 50. Needed pass rush badly.

Awesome pickup with Azeez! He was being mentioned quite a bit as a potential #11 pick for the G-Men a month or so ago, so to get him at #50 is a steal, like the commentators on ESPN were all saying! And to get another 3rd round pick in next year’s draft to boot?Finally, one of Gettleman’s ideas worked in our favor!

We’re stacked with picks in 2022.

And where do we think that came from? Stats say otherwise. I just read he had the lowest drop rate in college football.
My disappointment is in taking WR at that spot in the first place. Once the big 3 were gone, there was much more value in taking, for example, Paye, the top edge rusher in the draft at 20 than the 8th best WR according to Pro Football Focus, or the 5th best according to the NFL gradings. Maybe they're right, and everyone else is wrong, but it seems to me that, as is often the case with Gettleman, he reaches for a player at a specific position (Toney, Jones) or just takes the wrong guy (Thomas last year). Giants took the 1st of 5 Tackles in the 1st round last year, and Thomas graded out the worst of the 5 after their first season. Maybe he'll get better, he could turn into a HOF guy in the end for all we know, but the current Capo Regime's short term draft results so far are not super encouraging. At least we're doing better than Mayock, so I can always laugh at my boss.

I am very encouraged that he traded down twice and got three more picks for next year, when there will be a much more normal season this year and a full evaluation period. 2nd round- fantastic value at the spot with the #4 edge. 3rd round, Robinson is ranked #6 corner by PFF, played slot corner, but over half of his snaps were in press coverage, so the guy is really athletic and versatile. Rare to see a slot corner play press, so again at 3rd round looks right now like a good pick. Then again, I thought the same thing of Will Hernandez in the 2nd a couple years back, and he has since lost his starting job, so what do any of us really know?

These are the facts: The Giants have drafted 3 of the top 55 players rated by PPF --- AND ---
have acquired an extra 1st round, extra 3rd round and extra 4th round pick in the 2022 NFL draft.
Yeah, lol, that Gettleman is a real dullard.

Reactions: GORU2014
My disappointment is in taking WR at that spot in the first place. Once the big 3 were gone, there was much more value in taking, for example, Paye, the top edge rusher in the draft at 20 than the 8th best WR according to Pro Football Focus, or the 5th best according to the NFL gradings. Maybe they're right, and everyone else is wrong, but it seems to me that, as is often the case with Gettleman, he reaches for a player at a specific position (Toney, Jones) or just takes the wrong guy (Thomas last year). Giants took the 1st of 5 Tackles in the 1st round last year, and Thomas graded out the worst of the 5 after their first season. Maybe he'll get better, he could turn into a HOF guy in the end for all we know, but the current Capo Regime's short term draft results so far are not super encouraging. At least we're doing better than Mayock, so I can always laugh at my boss.

I am very encouraged that he traded down twice and got three more picks for next year, when there will be a much more normal season this year and a full evaluation period. 2nd round- fantastic value at the spot with the #4 edge. 3rd round, Robinson is ranked #6 corner by PFF, played slot corner, but over half of his snaps were in press coverage, so the guy is really athletic and versatile. Rare to see a slot corner play press, so again at 3rd round looks right now like a good pick. Then again, I thought the same thing of Will Hernandez in the 2nd a couple years back, and he has since lost his starting job, so what do any of us really know?
Paye isn’t a good fit for their defense. He’s a developmental 4-3 player

"Developmental" players aren't taken 21st overall.
That’s not true. Plenty of players get picked early based on athleticism and upside. Trey Lance was picked 3rd overall based on upside even though he’s from a smaller school with limited experience. Plenty of non-QB examples too (I think Jalen Reagor was actually 21 last year for one).

In any event, he’s more of a traditional 4-3 DE and the Giants need more of a 3-4 OLB type given their scheme, so Paye never made sense.

My disappointment is in taking WR at that spot in the first place. Once the big 3 were gone, there was much more value in taking, for example, Paye, the top edge rusher in the draft at 20 than the 8th best WR according to Pro Football Focus, or the 5th best according to the NFL gradings. Maybe they're right, and everyone else is wrong, but it seems to me that, as is often the case with Gettleman, he reaches for a player at a specific position (Toney, Jones) or just takes the wrong guy (Thomas last year). Giants took the 1st of 5 Tackles in the 1st round last year, and Thomas graded out the worst of the 5 after their first season. Maybe he'll get better, he could turn into a HOF guy in the end for all we know, but the current Capo Regime's short term draft results so far are not super encouraging. At least we're doing better than Mayock, so I can always laugh at my boss. I am very encouraged that he traded down twice and got three more picks for next year, when there will be a much more normal season this year and a full evaluation period. 2nd round- fantastic value at the spot with the #4 edge. 3rd round, Robinson is ranked #6 corner by PFF, played slot corner, but over half of his snaps were in press coverage, so the guy is really athletic and versatile. Rare to see a slot corner play press, so again at 3rd round looks right now like a good pick. Then again, I thought the same thing of Will Hernandez in the 2nd a couple years back, and he has since lost his starting job, so what do any of us really know?

Thomas played much better in the second half of the season. He was having technique issues, was one of the reasons that they may have brought in a consultant an let go of the OLine coach in November.

"Developmental" players aren't taken 21st overall.
Kwity Paye is a huge risk. HUGE. He has simply not proven it on the field. It's all about potential with him, not production, like it is with Toeny.

Toney had 70 receptions last year, for 1000 yards and 11 TD's in 11 games. Think about that for a minute. Against SEC defenses. That's pretty damn good production against elite corners. It's another offense weapon for a team that desperately needs playmakers.

Paye on the other hand, has had only 11.5 sacks over 4 years (granted, he only played 4 games in 2020) so he's never had more than 6.5 sacks (jr year) in any year. The other three years he had either 1 or 2 sacks.

No one in their right mind would say Paye is more of a guarantee than Toney. No one.

I'm so glad the Giants didn't spend a first round pick on a gamble.

Reactions: RU-05
Not one O lineman taken and their O line ranked 31 out of 32 last season. Plus they lost their most consistent O lineman. Year 2 doesn't automatically mean they are gonna improve. Just look at Hernandez. One could say he has gotten worse. All the weapons in the world aint gonna matter for Jones if he has no time, just like last season. You would of thought they would have learned something from the last few years.

Not one O lineman taken and their O line ranked 31 out of 32 last season. Plus they lost their most consistent O lineman. Year 2 doesn't automatically mean they are gonna improve. Just look at Hernandez. One could say he has gotten worse. All the weapons in the world aint gonna matter for Jones if he has no time, just like last season. You would of thought they would have learned something from the last few years.

Very surprising and disappointing they didn't grab any O linemen.

However, I think they're counting on a) Nate Solder returning after sitting out last year and b) they drafted 3 linemen last year (Thomas, Peart and Lemiux) and it seems they're confident they'll all improve substantially now that they have a year under their belts.

Reactions: Postman_1
Very surprising and disappointing they didn't grab any O linemen.

However, I think they're counting on a) Nate Solder returning after sitting out last year and b) they drafted 3 linemen last year (Thomas, Peart and Lemiux) and it seems they're confident they'll all improve substantially now that they have a year under their belts.
I agree we should have picked up an O-linemen with our third or fourth round picks, or at the very least, one of our 6th round picks (I thought for sure we were going to get one in that round.)

While the Giants have a need at right guard, with Zeitler being released, people are forgetting we signed free agent Zach Fulton last month, whose played in 107 games in his 7 year career, including 90 starts. He started all 16 games at right guard for the Texans in 2020.

You can argue what the Giants' greatest need was, getting playmakers for Jones to put more points on the board (Toney) or getting players to put pressure on opposing QB's (Ojulari and Smith). I think drafting an O-linemen who can be a staple for the next 6-8 years should have been no lower than the third greatest need we had going into the draft, so for that reason alone, we missed big time with that one.

I just don't get drafting a running back who will be no better than 3rd string, ahead of a much more needed offensive lineman.

I'm still hoping we can bring in one more experienced free agent o-linemen for one of the starting positions. If we do that, I think we are SOLID going into the 2021 season.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I agree we should have picked up an O-linemen with our third or fourth round picks, or at the very least, one of our 6th round picks (I thought for sure we were going to get one in that round.)

While the Giants have a need at right guard, with Zeitler being released, people are forgetting we signed free agent Zach Fulton last month, whose played in 107 games in his 7 year career, including 90 starts. He started all 16 games at right guard for the Texans in 2020.

You can argue what the Giants' greatest need was, getting playmakers for Jones to put more points on the board (Toney) or getting players to put pressure on opposing QB's (Ojulari and Smith). I think drafting an O-linemen who can be a staple for the next 6-8 years should have been no lower than the third greatest need we had going into the draft, so for that reason alone, we missed big time with that one.

I just don't get drafting a running back who will be no better than 3rd string, ahead of a much more needed offensive lineman.

I'm still hoping we can bring in one more experienced free agent o-linemen for one of the starting positions. If we do that, I think we are SOLID going into the 2021 season.
Fulton also led the league last year in giving up 11 sacks. I agree with you hopefully they can bring in a veteran O lineman. There are still a few out there.

NFL schedule 2021: Don’t expect Giants-Buccaneers in Week 1, insider says

giphy.gif

Gettleman did awesome in the draft. Not just my opinion. Every article I read rated his picks highly. Some had us as having one of the top 2 or 3 drafts. Toney was a great pick. Jacksonville said they were going to take him at 25. We will pick up some free agency OL that is a cap cut later. Schedule is easy. 11-6 is what I see.

Gettleman did awesome in the draft. Not just my opinion. Every article I read rated his picks highly. Some had us as having one of the top 2 or 3 drafts. Toney was a great pick. Jacksonville said they were going to take him at 25. We will pick up some free agency OL that is a cap cut later. Schedule is easy. 11-6 is what I see.
Yeah, I just got around to looking up NYG draft ratings and the grades are mostly really high. Really hoping for a CHI tank next year.

Reactions: Postman_1
Has anyone taken a look at Washington's schedule? Wow. Not many wins outside the division. Might be between the Giants and Cowboys. First to 9 wins. If that much. In a 17 game season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT