ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-2023 English Premier League Season.

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Surprised no one started this thread on the Premier League 22-23 season. Not a bad first weekend.

Tottenham, Arsenal, and Chelsea started off strong.

Manchester United lost their first game again.

And even though I’m going to miss Gabriel Jesus, Manchester Citys Erling Haaland scored two goals in thirty minutes while Jack Grealish scored 3 goals in 38 games last season. So that should take the sting out of Grealish enjoying his Jed Lowrie type contract as City defends the PL and hopefully go over the Champions League hump.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Grealish is a ball dominate 10 that distributes and controls play… not score goals.
Signing never made sense with de bruyne in place. But hey - when you are city you can just light money on fire anyways.
Completely takes the piss out of the epl when you have a team operating like that.

I think Grealish was signed for the female City fans. Big Spurs fan here - like their additions and their front 3 are as good as anyone. Funny thing is I was in London a couple of weeks ago and wanted to get a Spurs jersey at the big Lillywhites store in Piccadilly. All out of Spurs jerseys - why? Son. Asians in London buy everything with Son on it. Talk about changing the narrative of Asian players. He is great to watch - such a direct style to his game. I think a top 3 for Spurs is reasonable. I always thought Sterling was a bit overrated - so his signing will not be super impactful on Chelsea with a lesser cast IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown
I agree that Grealish was a waste with KDB there.

No issues with them spending the money as other orgs in the PL does the same. No one blinks an eye when United, Chelsea, and other clubs do this. Kinda like the Dodgers and now Padres and Mets over here.

I agree that Grealish was a waste with KDB there.

No issues with them spending the money as other orgs in the PL does the same. No one blinks an eye when United, Chelsea, and other clubs do this. Kinda like the Dodgers and now Padres and Mets over here.
I am far from a City fan, but KDB is a joy to watch, as was YaYa and Kompany in their primes.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Surprised no one started this thread on the Premier League 22-23 season. Not a bad first weekend.

And even though I’m going to miss Gabriel Jesus, Manchester Citys Erling Haaland scored two goals in thirty minutes while Jack Grealish scored 3 goals in 38 games last season. So that should take the sting out of Grealish enjoying his Jed Lowrie type contract as City defends the PL and hopefully go over the Champions League hump.
I didn't see Arsenal but heard not the greatest performance. They are young. Chelsea also labored. Both are relying on City castoffs Jesus and Sterling which shows just how good City is. Spurs are very good/deep, but it is City's title to lose IMO. Haaland will score a million goals with service like de Bruyne provides. I hope Leeds stay up because what an ideal situation if so for BA and Adams.

Good match this week. Atmosphere was decent at the ground. Worrying start but that goal Ward-Prowse scored might've been the wake up call they needed. I tried getting a ticket for the Chelsea match but was impossible.

Reactions: MadRU

Jesus is a good player but his finishing is very poor. Haaland is a proper striker that will bag goals left and right

So happy Premier League is back!!
Fulham had a nice showing vs Liverpool in their first match back in the top tier. I like Liverpool, but I'm going to find myself rooting for Fulham all season, I like USMNT's Robinson as an attacking back, and they have a Slovak goalie.

Possible early drama at Man U with Ronoldo not starting after expressing his desire to leave and only playing 45 mins of pre-season. Tim Howard had some interesting insights, about how the team may or may not react, and what this could evolve into all the up to the Glazers.

Last edited:
Good match this week. Atmosphere was decent at the ground. Worrying start but that goal Ward-Prowse scored might've been the wake up call they needed. I tried getting a ticket for the Chelsea match but was impossible.
I think it’s City, Liverpool, Spurs finishing in the top 3 this season, not necessarily in that order

Last edited:
Reactions: cshelley
It’s a club I am not a fan of, but l think people are sleeping on Arsenal this year.

Artera got a lot out of a young team last year but they stumbled when the pressure got greater late in the season. Now he has had a summer to clear out the players he thinks don’t fit and add a bunch including a few from City who would have experience on a winning team.

It’s a club I am not a fan of, but l think people are sleeping on Arsenal this year.

Artera got a lot out of a young team last year but they stumbled when the pressure got greater late in the season. Now he has had a summer to clear out the players he thinks don’t fit and add a bunch including a few from City who would have experience on a winning team.
Remember Arsenal didn’t play any European football last year, basically played one game a week. This year they play Europa League on Thursday nights. Depth will be tested.

Reactions: RuSnp and HPNJRUfan
Let's go Chelsea! KTBFFH!!!!

Werner back to RB Leipzig this week. Shame it didn't work out with him.

Liking the moves this transfer period with Boehly coming in. Still need to work on getting the ball in the net but it'll come. City/Pool 1/2. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal fight for the other 2 Champs spots. I would have told you Man U will not be that good again before the Brighton loss.

Relegated teams Southampton, Nottingham, Bournemouth.

I'm guessing flirt with relegation a bit before settling in at the lower-middle of the pack. Still, at least we can still make fun of Sunderland, and that is what really matters.
They did finish strong last season. The optimist in me is hoping for a finish in the 10-12 range with something they can build upon for the following season.

Big Liverpool supporter here (Grandmother is a Scouser). All the credit to Fulham, but most of our team looked like they were sleep walking on Saturday and of course we got no help from VAR.

Ready for all the banter from the rivals, this season should be fun. Imagine being us!

YNWA JFT97

Reactions: JMORC2003
Interested in seeing how New Castle finish out the transfer market. They will soon move the big 6 to a big 7, with West Ham also hanging around.

First week under the belts now let’s see how things go. A winter World Cup will really make for an interesting season. Teams with depth will really have an advantage especially with the new 5 sub rule.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think it’s City, Liverpool, Spurs finishing in the top 3 this season, not necessarily in that order
Those 3 are the betting favorites. I still think Chelsea 3rd. Spurs 4th. West ham. Then Arsenal. Maybe Man U after that? Big rebuild for the former giants.

Sounds like Man U are trying to bring in Rabiot from Juve.

Not sold on Leicester. I think both New Castle and West Ham are better.
Yes Newcastle could be quite good and obviously have no budget concerns if and when the opp arises. I dont want to overreact to the BHA result but it isnt that crazy to see a scenario where ManU are double digits.

Yes Newcastle could be quite good and obviously have no budget concerns if and when the opp arises. I dont want to overreact to the BHA result but it isnt that crazy to see a scenario where ManU are double digits.
Waiting to see if Man U panic buys at the end of the window

By the way... how great is it having this much soccer to watch these days???
-MLS has been at it since March (Red Bulls fan)
-Champions League just ended Memorial Day weekend, group play begins the week after Labor Day
-Same with Premier League and they're right back at it already w/ the short off-season
-My kid's fall travel began practicing
-HS and College is a few weeks away.
-And the big one... World Cup in November w/ USA qualifying.

Not to mention it's never difficult to find PSG or a Mexican league on beIn sports.

Wow, what a time to be a soccer fan.

Not sold on Leicester. I think both New Castle and West Ham are better.
I said maybe! West Ham I'm not sure about. Newcastle much better but still needs more talent. It can happen though.

ADVERTISEMENT