ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

despicable me minions GIF

Tonight is why I try to wait until after the game to make declarative statements. 😆

In the grand scheme I will take 1 point and a huge learning experience for my team the young NJD. They must bring better effort to start games, as well as play more than 30 minutes to win. The game was lost when they got on their back foot for their last power play in the 3rd. Once you ease up, it is hard to get rolling again. The pretty passing PP was akin to the prevent defense in 🏈. The Devils allowed the Predators to stay in the game, and with a couple of good bounces they won.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
I wonder if Nashville broke the record for quickest goal to start a game ( 11 seconds) and time left ( 8 seconds)for game tying goal in sane game.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Tonight is why I try to wait until after the game to make declarative statements. 😆

In the grand scheme I will take 1 point and a huge learning experience for my team the young NJD. They must bring better effort to start games, as well as play more than 30 minutes to win. The game was lost when they got on their back foot for their last power play in the 3rd. Once you ease up, it is hard to get rolling again. The pretty passing PP was akin to the prevent defense in 🏈. The Devils allowed the Predators to stay in the game, and with a couple of good bounces they won.
Very good point pertaining to power play at end of game though Devils were trying to kill clock. I also thought Nashville was much more physical than Devils. Also what is injury status with Myles Wood? He didn’t play last night and Smith was playing forward.

Very good point pertaining to power play at end of game though Devils were trying to kill clock. I also thought Nashville was much more physical than Devils. Also what is injury status with Myles Wood? He didn’t play last night and Smith was playing forward.

Wood wasn’t feeling well, sick

Devils had no excuse to let the preds skate so easily up the ice and into the zone and then leave someone all alone in front

Take a friggin penalty, tackle the guy if you have to.

Gag city

Spot on! This is why I started talking about getting bigger and more physical. Gee and it is Bastian and Wood, two of our bigger players who have missed time. The physicality goes up greatly in the Spring.

Hopefully Ruff was being 100% honest and Wood will be back soon after a illness. He came to the rink but felt sick Ruff said in the post game.

He often doesn’t do basic hockey coaching things like matching lines at home or calling timeouts when the team is in the middle of giving up a lead, so why do you expect him to do something like adjusting his system?

He points out when Jones, who is is an excellent puck handler, makes a defensive mistake and benches him in favor of Hayek who is inept at getting out of his zone. He made Trouba, who is playing laughable bad, captain. He played Nemeth most of last year and didn’t give Lundkvist a chance. He has no idea what being an effective defenseman requires.
Is it too early for me to start the Barry Trotz chants?

Is it too early for me to start the Barry Trotz chants?
Trotz isn’t exactly known for giving young players a chance, either. He is light years ahead of Gallant as a tactical coach, but I don’t think the Ranger roster has the players for his style (and they have a lot of players they can’t move).

By the way, what do you think about the latest thing that drives me nuts about Gallant? Playing Trouba who is injured and struggling overall on the PP2 unit instead of Jones who is made to run a PP from the point, and playing Sammy Blais on the PP even though he has scored ZERO goals as a Ranger?

Trotz isn’t exactly known for giving young players a chance, either. He is light years ahead of Gallant as a tactical coach, but I don’t think the Ranger roster has the players for his style (and they have a lot of players they can’t move).

By the way, what do you think about the latest thing that drives me nuts about Gallant? Playing Trouba who is injured and struggling overall on the PP2 unit instead of Jones who is made to run a PP from the point, and playing Sammy Blais on the PP even though he has scored ZERO goals as a Ranger?
His style doesn't mesh with anyone really, let alone young players. It's just that my pet peave for years has been the poor structure and foundation with which they play. Especially given the caliber of their goaltending.

Jones I can't explain, because one can argue the greatest asset he brings would be as PP QB. And I'm still waiting to see anything that justified acquiring Blais, let alone goals or PP time.

Spot on! This is why I started talking about getting bigger and more physical. Gee and it is Bastian and Wood, two of our bigger players who have missed time. The physicality goes up greatly in the Spring.

Hopefully Ruff was being 100% honest and Wood will be back soon after a illness. He came to the rink but felt sick Ruff said in the post game.
Three of our biggest forwards are injured/sick, Wood, Bastian and Palat, they come back we're going to be fine rest of the season and playoffs, we don't need to go out and grab a 33-year old slowpoke from the Islanders.

I'm all for improving this team, and if there is a big forward out there that can play Devils hockey (fast and relentless), they need to better than whoever they're going to replace, which never told me when I asked you who would that be. You don't want to break up BMW line, maybe the most effective 4th line in NHL.

So who do you sit or move? Tatar? Yegor? Mercer? Haula?

Reactions: robcac26
Three of our biggest forwards are injured/sick, Wood, Bastian and Palat, they come back we're going to be fine rest of the season and playoffs, we don't need to go out and grab a 33-year old slowpoke from the Islanders.

I'm all for improving this team, and if there is a big forward out there that can play Devils hockey (fast and relentless), they need to better than whoever they're going to replace, which never told me when I asked you who would that be. You don't want to break up BMW line, maybe the most effective 4th line in NHL.

So who do you sit or move? Tatar? Yegor? Mercer? Haula?
I was talking about an enforcer like Martin, who I like. Although I said it would never be him. Hey we just see this differently. I think if the Devils stand pat, they have little chance to get out of the second round, and that is if they make it past the first.

Now depending on the trade package(s), which I believe should include Severson, you could fit most in, and make them more effective.

Tatar is who I personally would trade and here is why. He is having his career statistical year so far. I think back to the half-season stats Dave Clarkson put up his last year as a Devil. We should have traded him then, and to maximize value, we should trade Tatar now, if there is a good deal to be had.

Haula can be our making the playoffs good luck charm as well as needed experience. Dawson and Yegor I would not look to move. Of course if a GM wants to part with a superstar or a top 10 1st round pick, which I don't expect, everything has to be looked at. In all of this I'm talking about good hockey trades, not just doing something to say hey we made a trade.

I was talking about an enforcer like Martin, who I like. Although I said it would never be him. Hey we just see this differently. I think if the Devils stand pat, they have little chance to get out of the second round, and that is if they make it past the first.

Now depending on the trade package(s), which I believe should include Severson, you could fit most in, and make them more effective.

Tatar is who I personally would trade and here is why. He is having his career statistical year so far. I think back to the half-season stats Dave Clarkson put up his last year as a Devil. We should have traded him then, and to maximize value, we should trade Tatar now, if there is a good deal to be had.

Haula can be our making the playoffs good luck charm as well as needed experience. Dawson and Yegor I would not look to move. Of course if a GM wants to part with a superstar or a top 10 1st round pick, which I don't expect, everything has to be looked at. In all of this I'm talking about good hockey trades, not just doing something to say hey we made a trade.
They're waaaaaay ahead of schedule with the rebuild, this year Fitz and Marty were just hoping to be competitive and hopefully make the playoffs, not be looking at a shot at the President's Trophy. You just don't break that up on a roll of a dice at this stage of the rebuild, every thing has gone well, why risk it before you really find out what you truly need and who you need to keep.

And they just told Zetterland and Boqvist to find apartments, so we know they're staying put:

I don't think we're going to see any big moves this season and to me it's the right call. Send the lads into hellfire and let's see what they got.

Last edited:
They're waaaaaay ahead of schedule with the rebuild, this year Fitz and Marty were just hoping to be competitive and hopefully make the playoffs, not be looking at a shot at the President's Trophy. You just don't break that up on a roll of a dice at this stage of the rebuild, every thing has gone well, why risk it before you really find out what you truly need and who you need to keep.

And they just told Zetterland and Boqvist to find apartments, so we know they're staying put:

I don't think we're going to see any big moves this season and to me it's the right call. Send the lads to hellfire and let's see what we got.
I agree with this sentiment. The only reason I want Severson traded is his expiring contract and as a right shot defenseman, I think the NJD would do well in the trade. I'm not looking for any mortgage the future type moves, just one or two players to help make sure our goalies don't get run regularly, or our most skilled players have protection from cheap shots like Austin Watson's stick work on Nico recently. I wouldn't do anything that hurts the future.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
I agree with this sentiment. The only reason I want Severson traded is his expiring contract and as a right shot defenseman, I think the NJD would do well in the trade. I'm not looking for any mortgage the future type moves, just one or two players to help make sure our goalies don't get run regularly, or our most skilled players have protection from cheap shots like Austin Watson's stick work on Nico recently. I wouldn't do anything that hurts the future.
But who are you going to sit or move? This is a rare time when a team has every player in the lineup playing well. Even Brendan Smith has been solid and stepped in to play forward last night and was solid.

And goons like Watson are still going to do their thing, no matter what tough guys we have in lineup.

Severson would get a decent return and I do think he's a player getting rid of wouldn't hurt the team's growth or even this year's (thanks to Bahl), but they won't move him because he's beloved not just in the locker room but throughout the organization, he's really one of the nicest guys you can meet. I just can't see them doing that to someone who has played nine mostly crappy years with the team, it would be cruel to dump him now with it's about to get real good. He's gone after this year but they'll let him stay to the end. That's my take at least.

But who are you going to sit or move? This is a rare time when a team has every player in the lineup playing well. Even Brendan Smith has been solid and stepped in to play forward last night and was solid.

And goons like Watson are still going to do their thing, no matter what tough guys we have in lineup.

Severson would get a decent return and I do think he's a player getting rid of wouldn't hurt the team's growth or even this year's (thanks to Bahl), but they won't move him because he's beloved not just in the locker room but throughout the organization, he's really one of the nicest guys you can meet. I just can't see them doing that to someone who has played nine mostly crappy years with the team, it would be cruel to dump him now with it's about to get real good. He's gone after this year but they'll let him stay to the end. That's my take at least.
If they fail to move Severson, they are being short sighted and forgetting it is a business. Being too nice helped lead us here, 1 playoff since 2012. Your question which I think I answered, is a hard one to drill down on because there is the hidden variable, what will we get.

I have not done a deep dive in who is available, so I will just say I'm not looking for a 🌟 type that would cost a Holtz, Hughes, Nemec, or first round pick. A new age Randy McKay type, who would by mere presence, cut down on the cheap stuff and will not hurt long term.

Yeah I think the role of enforcers is exaggerated these days. The wild west of the 70s and 80s is long gone, and now with the instigator penalty you pretty much only have fighters fighting other fighters, which means you don't really need a Semenko to protect a Gretzky like you used to. What you need for a long playoff run is skilled depth because injuries are inevitable when you get that far into the spring, and with how fast the game is now, giving a roster spot to a slow goon is putting yourself at a disadvantage in my opinion. These days if you're gonna have a guy who fights, he better also be able to make plays with the puck, or at least contribute to sustained pressure in the attack zone. One-dimensional goons are a thing of the past.

We aren’t trading a roster player if we’re in position to make the playoffs. Woukd totally crush the team

No one does less to impact a game than LaFreniere.
The man literally can’t advance the puck.
I would bench his ass
He friggen stinks!
Goes weeks without making a note worthy play
Slow, milk toast shot, can’t stick handle and is a worthless forechecker

Last edited:
Laughable 3 on 3 combinations
Trochek is your best forward you idiot Gallant.
He can actually make a play

He dresses Hayak so he takes a puck handler out of the lineup.
Sending LaFreniere out 3 on 3 is an enormous joke
Lafreniere shows nothing saying he could do anything with the extra space. Kravstov was having a good game and should have gotten that time.

TM94 makes good points

We don’t need a Jimmy McKenzie or Oliwa type of enforcer but a heavy forward that has a physical edge while taking a regular shift.
Thank you, you nailed it again. This is why I said " new age enforcer" in the other post. The fighting is no where near what it used to be, but now you have more stick fouls and guys not pulling up on players in dangerous positions. My example of Islander Matt Martin, was because he is a chief reason why their goalie doesn't usually get touched, let run. Enforcer's now are there to make opposition players think. It will cut down on the cheap stuff, which will help our skill stay healthy.

I also think our lack of big strong keep them honest player(s) is our last great need baring injury. Goaltending seems solid, as well as defense. This is the area left that needs fixing IMO. I'm not expecting Stanley Cup Champion's '23, but I would like to maximize the year.

Thank you, you nailed it again. This is why I said " new age enforcer" in the other post. The fighting is no where near what it used to be, but now you have more stick fouls and guys not pulling up on players in dangerous positions. My example of Islander Matt Martin, was because he is a chief reason why their goalie doesn't usually get touched, let run. Enforcer's now are there to make opposition players think. It will cut down on the cheap stuff, which will help our skill stay healthy.

I also think our lack of big strong keep them honest player(s) is our last great need baring injury. Goaltending seems solid, as well as defense. This is the area left that needs fixing IMO. I'm not expecting Stanley Cup Champion's '23, but I would like to maximize the year.
This is what I'm saying is exaggerated though. In an age where only fighters fight, having an enforcer on your team I really don't think is deterring anything. If some guy who isn't a fighter hits your goalie, then your fighter goes after him and then their fighter steps in and now you have two fighters fighting each other and either the guy who ran the goalie is standing off to the side watching the fight, or he turtles and goes down but draws an instigator penalty in the process. The guys that the fighters were actually intimidated by--Georges Laraque, Derek Boogaard, Colton Orr, etc. are defunct now. Today, the intimidating fighters that people are actually afraid of are in the minors at best.

This is what I'm saying is exaggerated though. In an age where only fighters fight, having an enforcer on your team I really don't think is deterring anything. If some guy who isn't a fighter hits your goalie, then your fighter goes after him and then their fighter steps in and now you have two fighters fighting each other and either the guy who ran the goalie is standing off to the side watching the fight, or he turtles and goes down but draws an instigator penalty in the process. The guys that the fighters were actually intimidated by--Georges Laraque, Derek Boogaard, Colton Orr, etc. are defunct now. Today, the intimidating fighters that people are actually afraid of are in the minors at best.
Okay, then use a different term. Feel free to disagree, but I think we need more than pests like Wood and Bastian, or good team guys like Smith. I look at where the NJD want to get back to, Stanley Cup 🏆, and even in this new era from the Blackhawks to the Kings, to the Blues, and through the Lightning and Avalanche, they ALL had a bigger tougher line-up to play against.

Yes the era of goon, dropem and fight is over. However while it has changed, it has not, especially in the playoffs, gone soft. I'm not looking for us to fight everyone, I want a defensive weapon, which I think will stop the cheap stuff. I don't want to see the NJD make the playoffs, only to lose in the 1st round quickly, because they got beaten up. Just like what happened the last time against the Bolts.

Who are the "new age enforcers" in the NHL? I'm not even sure what that means.

It doesn't deter nothing, the goons in the league are still going to goon it up. It's what they get paid to do.

Reactions: robcac26
LOL, I used some literary licence and termed them new age enforcers, get over it. I already gave an example with Matt Martin. The tough guys who police the ice.

Feel free to disagree, I know some agree with me like Craig Button. After I posted about this, I heard Button say he couldn't put the Devils as a Cup Contender because they needed "work" with the forward group. Yes he was talking about their lack of size and grit.

Laugh all you want, I know I'm RIGHT. Now I expected a few likes, not multiple negative quotes, so consider this the last time I will post on this subject.

Last edited:
Have to laugh, the same geniuses who insist I don't know what I'm talking about, last year had the same take when I posted about the Devils trading for a younger goalie.

Same set-up, same know-it-alls asked questions and acted like I was dead wrong. Well when questioned, I said I would try to trade with a team like the Capitals. Hmmm, enter Vitek Vanecek age 26. I'm very happy Fitz had the same line of thinking.

The same posters insisted that the NJD best chance was that small undrafted goalie, who was later busted for steroids.

I don't think I will post in this thread anymore, because it is not really fun currently. I used to like posting hot takes that were fun not serious, but things stop being fun when some start being obtuse, and keep quoting on the same subject over and over again.

I will leave with a prediction. If the NJD do not make the necessary move(s) to get playoff ready, bigger, stronger, tougher, they will NOT make it past the 2nd round. Sadly if they stand pat in this area, I do not think they will get out of the first. Right now we are a nice regular season surprise team only.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdh2003
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT