ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

The "size/grit/toughness" debate has been a pretty contentious one for awhiles amongst NHL fans.

The league has clearly gone more towards speed and skill, especially amongst fwd's, but there is still a need for grit and toughness.

IMO, instead of bringing in "toughness" you need your speed/skill guys to be bring that grit and toughness. That's pretty much what Palat is. I think it's what Nico is. Mercer, Zetterlund. All these guys bring it. I don't think Hughes and Bratt bring a ton of toughness, but they are going to play big minutes for us, so those guys learning to play their game when the going gets tough in the playoffs is what I am talking about.

The 4th line clearly bring it, yet they aren't old school goons. Ton of speed, and even a good bit of goal scoring, to go along with size and grit, on that 4th line.
I'm looking to protect our small skill guy's, with what amounts to 1 or 2 deterrents. I'm not looking for Slap Shot 😆. Just like how the Champions have been built in this area. All have had the size and the toughness along with the skill.

I'm looking to protect our small skill guy's, with what amounts to 1 or 2 deterrents. I'm not looking for Slap Shot 😆. Just like how the Champions have been built in this area. All have had the size and the toughness along with the skill.
This is where you trip me up - you say you want to protect our small guys and you mentioned Colton as possible player, however, I don't recall ever seeing him in a fight and for good reason, he's never fought, at least in the NHL.

Now Colton would make a fantastic Devil and would add size and grit for next year and beyond, but he's no fighter.

How about three deterrents…

slap-shot-hanson-brothers.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TM94goRU
This is where you trip me up - you say you want to protect our small guys and you mentioned Colton as possible player, however, I don't recall ever seeing him in a fight and for good reason, he's never fought, at least in the NHL.

Now Colton would make a fantastic Devil and would add size and grit for next year and beyond, but he's no fighter.
I'm not looking for fighters, just bigger guy's who can keep the opposition honest. The right guy or two, will act as a deterrent from opposition players taking keep shots. Similarly to Arnott's role on the A-line. Just protection which should make others think, gee if I do this, the NJD have a player who might do the same type of thing to X player. Now let me fill in the blank.

The Blue Jackets not taking a cheap shot or unnecessary risky hit, because they don't want the NJD to do it to Johnny G. Deterrents not fight fest.

The Art of War, Hockey Style.

Last edited:
What's with these Romanian flag sweaters they're wearing tonight? I didn't even think it was the Devils
Reverse retros.

Between these and the Jersey Black's we rarely see them where their red's anymore, which annoys me.

And even their regular reds were downgraded when Adidas took over. Hoping once that contract is up we get back to something more like the classic red and blacks we won cups with.

Reverse retros.

Between these and the Jersey Black's we rarely see them where their red's anymore, which annoys me.

And even their regular reds were downgraded when Adidas took over. Hoping once that contract is up we get back to something more like the classic red and blacks we won cups with.
Thank you.

It's an inconvenient truth.
And I liked the original ones too.

The original reverse retro wasn’t too bad either.

But the “Jersey” one, the regular one from adidas and the one from today. 👎

And I liked the original ones too.

The original reverse retro wasn’t too bad either.

But the “Jersey” one, the regular one from adidas and the one from today. 👎
Today's jerseys were fine on their own, I just want to look at the team on the ice, and know it's the Devils.

And I do understand this is not a Devils thing, but an all sports thing.

Rangers are in a lotttt of trouble. Team doesnt give a shit. Realistically, if torts wasnt with philly, this team needs a torts type of coach up their ass

Today's jerseys were fine on their own, I just want to look at the team on the ice, and know it's the Devils.

And I do understand this is not a Devils thing, but an all sports thing.
Too much going on including KC and the Colorado homage.

Do one at a time.

Reactions: TM94goRU and RU-05
Rangers are in a lotttt of trouble. Team doesnt give a shit. Realistically, if torts wasnt with philly, this team needs a torts type of coach up their ass
Yep; it’s danger zone time right now. We’ll find out what this team is made of, but not looking good.

Stretch of Ottawa, Ottawa, Chicago (2 at home) and we get 3 points out of it? No bueno.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I'm not looking for fighters, just bigger guy's who can keep the opposition honest. The right guy or two, will act as a deterrent from opposition players taking keep shots. Similarly to Arnott's role on the A-line. Just protection which should make others think, gee if I do this, the NJD have a player who might do the same type of thing to X player. Now let me fill in the blank.

The Blue Jackets not taking a cheap shot or unnecessary risky hit, because they don't want the NJD to do it to Johnny G. Deterrents not fight fest.

The Art of War, Hockey Style.

The Devils greatest enforcer......Troy Crowder.
Fights with Bob Probert were better than most Mayweather fights. Some of these shots remind me of what Ali said about Earnie Shavers: "Earnie hit me so hard it shook my kinfolk back in Africa."

Last edited:
Yep; it’s danger zone time right now. We’ll find out what this team is made of, but not looking good.

Stretch of Ottawa, Ottawa, Chicago (2 at home) and we get 3 points out of it? No bueno.
I am incapable of rooting for the Rangers to lose while a game is going on, but when I look at the big picture, anything that hastens Gallant’s departure is a good thing. Is there anything more telling than GG standing there like a stone faced moron after Trouba tried to fire up the team post fight?

They do need a change in tone, but unfortunately a Torts type disciplinarian brings dinosaur era tactics. The Rangers aren’t built to play that way and too many guys have NMCs, so they need to bring in someone who understands the modern game better and plays a system that suits the players they have.

Nothing highlights how broken Ranger leadership is better than the statement that Hayek has won the 3LD job and sending Jones to the AHL. They are obsessed with the errors Jones makes while being a guy who exits the defensive zone and enters the offensive zone effectively, and they like Hayek’s bigger size and ability to handle the front of the net while ignoring that the whole reason the Rangers are still in the defensive zone is because Hayek is bad at exiting the zone and prolongs the opponents chances with his poor puck handling.

Would love to be wrong, which is rare, but I’ll bet anyone that Philly wins tonight
Damn I wish I checked this thread yesterday, I woulda made some money lol

Reverse retros.

Yeah that's one thing I miss from Lamoriello being here--he was very adamant that our uniforms are our uniforms and we aren't changing them or adding new ones. Obviously the reverse retro is forced on everyone by Adidas, but there are too many uniforms now and even worse is that sometimes teams don't even wear their current colors anymore.

Reactions: RU-05
I'd also like to point out that during the loss to Toronto, some people on here were saying the refs erred by disallowing a goal for incidental contact with the goalie and not calling an interference penalty. I pointed out that there might not be a penalty when contact is incidental, but the goal is still disallowed. Multiple people on here told me I was wrong. I didn't get to watch last night's game, but from listening to it on the app, it sounded like the same thing occurred on what would have been the tying goal--no penalty but no goal. Think about it, incidental contact with the goalie happens often and play continues. The contact doesn't become a penalty just because a shot goes into the net. Those who ref know the rules better than those who don't.

Does anyone think there is dissension in the rangers locker room? I could never understand how Trouba was voted captain say over Kreider? And when I hear Trouba speak, it’s tough on the ears.

Does anyone think there is dissension in the rangers locker room? I could never understand how Trouba was voted captain say over Kreider? And when I hear Trouba speak, it’s tough on the ears.
Whether or not the players wanted someone else, it is a problem now because while (to his credit) Trouba seems to be one of the few players who gives a shit, he is also playing very poorly lately and other players aren’t going to be motivated by someone who is a big part of the problem on the ice.

I'd also like to point out that during the loss to Toronto, some people on here were saying the refs erred by disallowing a goal for incidental contact with the goalie and not calling an interference penalty. I pointed out that there might not be a penalty when contact is incidental, but the goal is still disallowed. Multiple people on here told me I was wrong. I didn't get to watch last night's game, but from listening to it on the app, it sounded like the same thing occurred on what would have been the tying goal--no penalty but no goal. Think about it, incidental contact with the goalie happens often and play continues. The contact doesn't become a penalty just because a shot goes into the net. Those who ref know the rules better than those who don't.
Last nights game the contact occurred in the crease. Thus there can be contact and no penalty.

The toronto game, if we are talking about the 2nd disallowed goal involving tatar occured outside the crease. So there is a difference so as not to make theb2 comparable.

That said i read a bunch of different things regarding the tatar incident and it was still hazy amd now i forget what was what.

I am incapable of rooting for the Rangers to lose while a game is going on, but when I look at the big picture, anything that hastens Gallant’s departure is a good thing. Is there anything more telling than GG standing there like a stone faced moron after Trouba tried to fire up the team post fight?

They do need a change in tone, but unfortunately a Torts type disciplinarian brings dinosaur era tactics. The Rangers aren’t built to play that way and too many guys have NMCs, so they need to bring in someone who understands the modern game better and plays a system that suits the players they have.

Nothing highlights how broken Ranger leadership is better than the statement that Hayek has won the 3LD job and sending Jones to the AHL. They are obsessed with the errors Jones makes while being a guy who exits the defensive zone and enters the offensive zone effectively, and they like Hayek’s bigger size and ability to handle the front of the net while ignoring that the whole reason the Rangers are still in the defensive zone is because Hayek is bad at exiting the zone and prolongs the opponents chances with his poor puck handling.
Nailed every aspect. It's one thing to lose or get outplayed, but the widespread almost apathy and lack of focus is troubling. It's a striking streak of really bad losses.

And I can't understand the Hayek thing. No sense.

Nailed every aspect. It's one thing to lose or get outplayed, but the widespread almost apathy and lack of focus is troubling. It's a striking streak of really bad losses.

Brother in law is a huge Ranger fan and was at the Edmonton game.

Said he’s never seen a Garden crowd that angry at the end.

Last nights game the contact occurred in the crease. Thus there can be contact and no penalty.

The toronto game, if we are talking about the 2nd disallowed goal involving tatar occured outside the crease. So there is a difference so as not to make theb2 comparable.

That said i read a bunch of different things regarding the tatar incident and it was still hazy amd now i forget what was what.
I was actually hoping the radio announcers would specify if the contact was in the crease or not, but they never did. However, the contact occurring in the crease actually makes it more likely for a penalty to be called. Goalies are more protected inside their crease than when they venture out. Either way, my point was disallowing the goal doesn't mean there has to be a penalty.

Reactions: RU-05

Go and watch the post game interviews from last night.

I don’t like how Trouba is playing right now, but he was so worked up about the attitude they played with yesterday that he had to take time to compose himself.

Gallant was asked about the game and he liked how they competed.

They need to call him him a cab.

If 2 guys make the same wrong call it makes the first guy right?
Didn't see the goal you referenced here, but if the circumstance was the same then the call was incorrect. The rule is it's either a goal or a penalty( and disallowed). If you are deemed to have interfered with a goaltender resulting in a goal, whether intentional or not, it's a penalty and no goal.

ADVERTISEMENT