ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

I am so curious of the pathology of this culture. I know that media conglomerates have owned the Garden and their teams forever. My intuition tells me something is there, re: corp vs. other owning structures, but I’m not smart enough to know if it is a causal thing. Certainly the thinking has lived on, and apparently is thriving, into the quasi sole ownership of the Dolan years. But maybe that fact speaks more about the current owners, and their motivations, than the institution. IOW, birds of a feather…
The Dolan that owns the team now is the son of the guy from Cablevision, so they really aren’t “corporate”. He is more interested in a band he is part of than the Rangers. He handed off control of the team to Glen Sather, who is supposed to be in semiretirement but allegedly gets involved in any big decisions.

So, even if the people actually running things most of the time make the right decisions day to day, they are always at risk of the people with the real power swooping and taking control from them on a whim.

That is what happened after the Tom Wilson debacle. A total overreaction to one game without understanding the big picture of what was going on.

The Dolan that owns the team now is the son of the guy from Cablevision, so they really aren’t “corporate”. He is more interested in a band he is part of than the Rangers. He handed off control of the team to Glen Sather, who is supposed to be in semiretirement but allegedly gets involved in any big decisions.

So, even if the people actually running things most of the time make the right decisions day to day, they are always at risk of the people with the real power swooping and taking control from them on a whim.

That is what happened after the Tom Wilson debacle. A total overreaction to one game without understanding the big picture of what was going on.
I think you made all my points better than I did, lol.

No. They don’t have the salary cap space for that. Ultimately if they bring in another high salary contract it spells the end of Bratt on the roster after this year
Nobody ever said dealing with an embarrassment of riches was easy, lol. GMs have creative ways to handle the cap. Unfortunately, the better the team plays, the more that 1st this year keeps losing value, lol.

Regardless, certainly tough decisions need to be made. Should be fun to watch.

They have Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec in the wings to replace Severson and Graves at entry level contracts. If they pan out, that 7-8 mil saved will go a long way.
Johnsson ($3.4mm), Bernier ($4.1mm), Blackwood ($2.8mm if they roll with Vanecek/Schmid), and Graves/Severson all run the risk of not coming back. Tatar is a maybe, but I doubt he gets a raise from his $4.5mm salary.

Key guys to sign include Bratt (will be a $3-5mm raise from the $5.5mm this year), Wood and Haula (maybe one or both...but doubt they get big bumps), Sharangovich probably gets a $3mm raise from his $2mm this year, while McLeod, Bastian, Zetturlund likely get modest bumps.

Reactions: robcac26 and RU-05
Johnsson ($3.4mm), Bernier ($4.1mm), Blackwood ($2.8mm if they roll with Vanecek/Schmid), and Graves/Severson all run the risk of not coming back. Tatar is a maybe, but I doubt he gets a raise from his $4.5mm salary.

Key guys to sign include Bratt (will be a $3-5mm raise from the $5.5mm this year), Wood and Haula (maybe one or both...but doubt they get big bumps), Sharangovich probably gets a $3mm raise from his $2mm this year, while McLeod, Bastian, Zetturlund likely get modest bumps.
Ya, lots of salary coming off that doesn't need to be replaced. Tatar, if we decide to keep him, probably takes a cut. Haula, for whatever reason has always been on team friendly deals, and with his lack of goal scoring this year(he does provide positive impacts in other ways) he probably stays cheap.

It's all about Bratt and Wood, and there should be plenty of room for that.

Looks like Kratsov is a scratch Krup
Gallant is probably pissed that after Monday night he can’t put Laf/Kakko on the 3rd line, and he sent Jones to Hartford, so the only young guys he has left to f**k with are Kravstov and Gauthier.

So, he will scratch Kravstov and give Gauthier about 6 minutes of ice time.

Reactions: zappaa
Looks like Kratsov is a scratch Krup
By the way, it is a limited sample size, but when when Kravstov is on the ice the GF/60 is 3.56 and the GA/60 is only 1.16.

That is the best numbers on the team, ahead of Chytil in second place.

I happen to be in Vegas this week for work; will be at the game tonight. Not expecting much from my Rangers, but we’ll see.
My prediction is that at some point tonight Gallant is icing a line of Mika/Kreider/Goodrow.

What is Boesser contract?

Did Johnsson money come off already? He was waived and sent down

Did Johnsson money come off already? He was waived and sent down
When you send a player down to the AHL it only reduces what they count against the cap by $1 million, so if Johnson’s contract was $3.4 he is still a $2.4 cap hit for this year.

Zap-

This one’s for you (and it isn’t even adjusted for ice time which would move him UP the list):

Zap-

This one’s for you (and it isn’t even adjusted for ice time which would move him UP the list):

Still don’t like him lol.
Period and 1/2 gone tonight and Laf hasn’t touched the puck yet
He usually scores after I bad mouth him.
Chytyl with top 6 minutes but can’t win a face off, not even a stalemate

Still don’t like him lol.
Period and 1/2 gone tonight and Laf hasn’t touched the puck yet
He usually scores after I bad mouth him.
Chytyl with top 6 minutes but can’t win a face off, not even a stalemate
As I have been saying, I don’t see anything elite with Laf either, but his production is solid for the level of deployment he was getting until recently.

Chytil is so good at so much, I don’t understand why the Rangers don’t hire an ex-player who was good at face offs just to work with him on that.

Reactions: zappaa
Perfect example of a badly run versus a well run NHL team on display Fri night.

Dryden Hunt is a borderline NHLer who has bounced around the league. Picked up by the Rangers last year, he showed the skills of a good 4th liner. Unfortunately the Rangers played him as a 2nd liner for much of the season (where he was ineffective), and even benched a healthy Kakko for him in the series deciding game against Tampa. Then, even though he had value as a 4th liner, they waived him this year and lost him for nothing.

The team that picked him up for nothing was Colorado. They have been playing him on the 4th line.

Last night, the Avalanche were missing 5 forwards due to injury, and had brought up a bunch of guys from the AHL. Even with all of the missing forwards, they played Dryden Hunt where he belongs, on the 4th line.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Perfect example of a badly run versus a well run NHL team on display Fri night.

Dryden Hunt is a borderline NHLer who has bounced around the league. Picked up by the Rangers last year, he showed the skills of a good 4th liner. Unfortunately the Rangers played him as a 2nd liner for much of the season (where he was ineffective), and even benched a healthy Kakko for him in the series deciding game against Tampa. Then, even though he had value as a 4th liner, they waived him this year and lost him for nothing.

The team that picked him up for nothing was Colorado. They have been playing him on the 4th line.

Last night, the Avalanche were missing 5 forwards due to injury, and had brought up a bunch of guys from the AHL. Even with all of the missing forwards, they played Dryden Hunt where he belongs, on the 4th line.
Totally get your point, but probably worth noting that the Rangers also picked up 2 points last night against that better run team.

That was a solid quick trip out west against 2 good teams, after the big third period against STL at home. Hopefully the spark needed to get a streak going.

Totally get your point, but probably worth noting that the Rangers also picked up 2 points last night against that better run team.

That was a solid quick trip out west against 2 good teams, after the big third period against STL at home. Hopefully the spark needed to get a streak going.
The Avalanche were missing 5 forwards and 2 defensemen and the Rangers needed an excellent game from Shesterkin to get the game to a shootout and win.

It was a very weak performance, and in any case not relevant to the point I was making.

Here’s a question for you. How many teams would be giving Blais power play time when he hasn’t scored a goal since he became a Ranger and hasn’t even picked up a power play point in 5 years??

The Avalanche were missing 5 forwards and 2 defensemen and the Rangers needed an excellent game from Shesterkin to get the game to a shootout and win.

It was a very weak performance, and in any case not relevant to the point I was making.

Here’s a question for you. How many teams would be giving Blais power play time when he hasn’t scored a goal since he became a Ranger and hasn’t even picked up a power play point in 5 years??
You’ll notice that I started my post saying “totally get your point.” And again, I’ll agree with you that Blais shouldn’t be getting minutes at all, let alone PP time.

Just a fan here happy we got 4 points in 2 games out west against the defending Cup champions and the current best team in the west. No need to argue.

As I have been saying, I don’t see anything elite with Laf either, but his production is solid for the level of deployment he was getting until recently.

Chytil is so good at so much, I don’t understand why the Rangers don’t hire an ex-player who was good at face offs just to work with him on that.
His production as defined by a single metric.

His ES assist totals are weak. His PP #'s are non existent. His ES shot rate is weak too, which is probably the most concerning stat. But prior to this season his ES shooting % was way up there. This year it's merely decent, and his goal scoring is looking rather pedestrian.

Though, full disclosure, I'm a Devils fan.

His production as defined by a single metric.

His ES assist totals are weak. His PP #'s are non existent. His ES shot rate is weak too, which is probably the most concerning stat. But prior to this season his ES shooting % was way up there. This year it's merely decent, and his goal scoring is looking rather pedestrian.

Though, full disclosure, I'm a Devils fan.
If you are unfamiliar enough with what goes on with the Rangers to criticize Lafreniere’s power play production, you probably should stick to worrying about the Devils.

If you are unfamiliar enough with what goes on with the Rangers to criticize Lafreniere’s power play production, you probably should stick to worrying about the Devils.
He’s averaged over 1:10 of pp toi per game in his career. To have zero goals in 3 years for a guy who is supposed to be a goal scorer is pretty impressive.

And his lack of pp production was just one thing i noted.

He’s averaged over 1:10 of pp toi per game in his career. To have zero goals in 3 years for a guy who is supposed to be a goal scorer is pretty impressive.

And his lack of pp production was just one thing i noted.
The Ranger 2nd power play unit exists to pick up the puck from Shesterkin with 20-30 seconds left in the power play after the other team clears it from their zone.

The 1:10 of pp ice time you cited backs up my point, as with the Rangers 3.3 power plays per game that works out to about 20 seconds for each one.

Nobody on the Rangers second power play unit has production, because the first unit doesn’t leave the ice much and the second unit isn’t left with enough time to even set up in the offensive zone very often.

If Lafreniere was automatically put on the first unit like most #1 picks who are drafted by bad teams, his production wouldn’t be as glaring. That would have worked out to 28-29 goals last year at the historical average of such picks (pp goals being 50% of their even strength goals).

The 1:10 of pp ice time you cited backs up my point, as with the Rangers 3.3 power plays per game that works out to about 20 seconds for each one.

Nobody on the Rangers second power play unit has production, because the first unit doesn’t leave the ice much and the second unit isn’t left with enough time to even set up in the offensive zone very often.

If Lafreniere was automatically put on the first unit like most #1 picks who are drafted by bad teams, his production wouldn’t be as glaring. That would have worked out to 28-29 goals last year at the historical average of such picks (pp goals being 50% of their even strength goals).
This math assumes zero goals scored by the top unit. I know last year at least the rags had a very good pp

And obviously second units get less time then top units. That goes for every team. Buy zero goals over three seasons? I see Colin Blackwell put some points up in limited minutes a couple years ago for you guys.

This math assumes zero goals scored by the top unit. I know last year at least the rags had a very good pp

And obviously second units get less time then top units. That goes for every team. Buy zero goals over three seasons? I see Colin Blackwell put some points up in limited minutes a couple years ago for you guys.
You said you don’t pay much attention to the Rangers. Trust me when I say that the first unit deployment on the Rangers power play is extreme, and what the second unit gets to work with is a running joke among many Ranger fans.

I watch most of the Ranger games and I am hard pressed to pull up individual memories of the second unit scoring goals. I know it has happened, but I would expect the total for the whole unit is only a handful each year,

I think the best example of the Rangers power play usage/scoring being out of the ordinary is that Kreider’s even strength production wasn’t great last year and he scored 50+ goals.

I expect the Rangers to get the best of the Devils tonight, they're starting to percolate and we're starting to cool off.

Trouba man. Some “captain” we have.
He was never worth the salary they gave him, because he signed off a big offensive year where he was carried by Morrisey and he will never get the PP time with Fox around, but this year he makes Hayek look like a shut down defenseman by comparison.

He was never worth the salary they gave him, because he signed off a big offensive year where he was carried by Morrisey and he will never get the PP time with Fox around, but this year he makes Hayek look like a shut down defenseman by comparison.
I feel like his captaincy was a knee jerk reaction to the one-game Tom Wilson fiasco. He throws a few big hits on people in the playoffs and gets the C.

Hughes had a chance to put it out of reach on the penalty shot Glad be missed it

ADVERTISEMENT