ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

He allegedly already turned down 8 x 8 from the Canucks, and has an unsustainable shooting percentage. He is pretty much like Kreider last year.

He would old have been a good pickup for some teams, I don’t see how he improves the Isles enough to make them a contender,
I dare say from our perspectives that is the best part. Lou worried about making the playoffs overpays for a good, not great player, who may very well try free agency. 😆

It could not happen to better fish sticks! LOL

I think it's a high price IF it turns out to be a rental only, but time will tell.
If he isn’t a high priced rental, they will be overpaying to keep him long term.

Here are Horvat’s goal totals-16,20,22,27,22,19,31 and on pace for 50 with a crazy high shooting % this year that will revert to normal going forward. He wants more than 8 million a year.

Great trade for the islanders. They can make a legit run now
I’ve said the same thing about NYI for a few years now - they are the LAST team you want to face in rounds 1 or 2. They are constructed for NHL playoff hockey. Reg season? Not so much. They needed to make a move, we will see if it’s enough.

With the NYI getting Horvat, Tarashenko back on Devils radar as possible cheaper Plan B to Timo Meier.

Tom Fitzgerald has said they don't want a straight rental. The Sharks will allow teams to talk to Meier before trade.
Those guys are All Stars, so they would obviously make the team better. But I still say NJD needs more meat and bite. If not him, someone like Tyler Bertuzzi would fit nicely.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Unfortunately for the Rangers, Kakko shows a lot more signs of being an excellent player than Lafreniere right now.

If you went back in this thread to discussions questioning all of the Ranger prospects, you will see that I pointed out underlying numbers showing that Chytil, the entire time he was a Ranger, was a much better player than the Rangers use of him made him appear. Now, everybody is seeing how good he is.

Kakko is in a similar situation right now. His defensive and puck possession numbers paint him as a possible future Selke winner (if Bergeron ever retires), and for two years now every line he plays on does better than it does without him. He is not going to put up elite numbers like Hughes, but he is going to be a really good player on a team’s first line who plays the 200 foot game so that his linemates are able to score much more than they would without him.

Lafreniere has 5v5 production that show he should be an NHL player, but nothing is showing in his numbers to contradict the idea that his rating as a #1 pick was completely wrong.
Of LAF. Correct - from what I have seen of him, he is not close to playing like a 1 overall. No doubt. But, I think of him like a player version of NYI. Reg season may not be his thing, but he can probably excel in playoff hockey. I think he did ok as a first timer last year. Very curious about this year. Is his head so messed up now that he loses that too? That would be a shame and so Rangery. Get blessed with their first ever 1st and they either mucked it up or the whole hockey world was wrong about the kid. What a mess.

Of LAF. Correct - from what I have seen of him, he is not close to playing like a 1 overall. No doubt. But, I think of him like a player version of NYI. Reg season may not be his thing, but he can probably excel in playoff hockey. I think he did ok as a first timer last year. Very curious about this year. Is his head so messed up now that he loses that too? That would be a shame and so Rangery. Get blessed with their first ever 1st and they either mucked it up or the whole hockey world was wrong about the kid. What a mess.
I think it is probably some of both.

Lafreniere isn’t what everyone thought he was, and Rangers’ mismanagement is making sure he doesn’t even reach what he could be.

Reactions: mdh2003
Islanders are the clear winners of this deal
Time will tell. If they miss the playoffs, still a real possibility, what pick did they give up? Now the other question is do the younger players live up to their projected ability?

The answer to these questions will determine how the trade looks. If Lou signs him to an extension, that helps the NYI side of the deal.

Phil Housley was the player I thought of, as an example of a rental Lou traded for. Horvat was selected with the pick the NJD gave Vancouver for Scieds the goalie.

Time will tell. If they miss the playoffs, still a real possibility, what pick did they give up? Now the other question is do the younger players live up to their projected ability?

The answer to these questions will determine how the trade looks. If Lou signs him to an extension, that helps the NYI side of the deal.

Phil Housley was the player I thought of, as an example of a rental Lou traded for. Horvat was selected with the pick the NJD gave Vancouver for Scieds the goalie.
What did Lou give to Buffalo for Housley?

Those guys are All Stars, so they would obviously make the team better. But I still say NJD needs more meat and bite. If not him, someone like Tyler Bertuzzi would fit nicely.
I agree totally! This is why I hope we do get Meier, true power forward. There has been talk about Adam Henrique as well. If they do trade for him, I would also want Frank Vatrano, for the reason you highlighted.

What did Lou give to Buffalo for Housley?
Tommy Albelin, Cale Hulse, and Pepe's brother Jocelyn Lemieux on February 26, 1996.

Sidenote, Jocelyn Lemieux was gotten for Brick NJ own Jim Dowd from the Hartford Whalers. Another Lou overreaction. At that time having a NJ player should have been a marketing tool. Lou fails to sign Pepe, so trades for his brother.

Last edited:
Pepe’s bro was trash

We got Tommy back for 2003
Cale was meh

The 96 team had no excuse to not make the playoffs
Bingo, I added a paragraph to this answer. The 96 team took the year off to celebrate. Annoying but it happens.

Lou has been quoted, I will paraphrase, I never look at what we give up in a trade, I focus on what we get.

Question for Devils fans

Do you feel confident enough in Schmid to include Blackwood in a trade package by the deadline?
They have an extra goalie when Bernier comes back. So yes I would think Blackwood would be traded. I have seen deals where he gets traded for another goalie.

Devils have had many horrible 1st round picks

Probably more than most teams

Holtz is already looking like a bust
They have made their share. The beginning of the end of the cup era was the pick of Aaron Foster in my book. Ari Ahonen was horrible. It happens with GM'S and head coaches, when they have been in their jobs for an extended period of time, they lose their inside knowledge of the prospects. It happens from Lou to Jimmy Johnson.

I know you are sure Holtz is a bust, he may turnout to be but it is too early. I think he gets traded, and blossoms. He has fallen into Ruff's doghouse and needs a change of scenery.

They have made their share. The beginning of the end of the cup era was the pick of Aaron Foster in my book. Ari Ahonen was horrible. It happens with GM'S and head coaches, when they have been in their jobs for an extended period of time, they lose their inside knowledge of the prospects. It happens from Lou to Jimmy Johnson.

I know you are sure Holtz is a bust, he may turnout to be but it is too early. I think he gets traded, and blossoms. He has fallen into Ruff's doghouse and needs a change of scenery.

If he’s in the doghouse , why not bus him to Utica ?

F'ing Carolina! Can't even lose a game down 4-1 in the third.

We may have our differences on this board in terms of Devils vs. Rangers (and even some of you even like the Islanders?) But hopefully we can all agree that the Hurricanes are really annoying.

Seems like every time they add new events to the skills competition, it is either confusing, boring, or both.

Seems like every time they add new events to the skills competition, it is either confusing, boring, or both.
I liked the beach/dunk tank thing. The goalies shooting for the other net was a bit hard to keep track of, but interesting.

But you’re right — my favorite is the fried & true accuracy event.

Reactions: robcac26
I watched the skills competition with my daughter this morning. I loved it when I was growing up but thought it was a really bad job by the NHL.

It was just boring. There were non-stop commercials and then most of the broadcast was talking heads or whatever the weird theatrics were. Little to no action. Hell, even the hardest shot event was ruined from their new technology so everyone is sitting and waiting 5 seconds for a reading.

I did like the dunk tank event, and liked seeing Ovi's kid out there but that's literally the only thing I remember or took away from the event. Terrible job by NHL.

I watched the skills competition with my daughter this morning. I loved it when I was growing up but thought it was a really bad job by the NHL.

It was just boring. There were non-stop commercials and then most of the broadcast was talking heads or whatever the weird theatrics were. Little to no action. Hell, even the hardest shot event was ruined from their new technology so everyone is sitting and waiting 5 seconds for a reading.

I did like the dunk tank event, and liked seeing Ovi's kid out there but that's literally the only thing I remember or took away from the event. Terrible job by NHL.
It was unwatchable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT