ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

Those two definitely have to pan out to make this work Cheese.
Yes. Blais will be fine to make roster and hopefully he can contribute in that role. Kratsov has loads of talent, but I worry a) his age and d zone play will result in him seeing marginal ice time, or worse, b) he gets sent down and bolts for EU.

I am not particularly happy because I think they made a premature decision to favor Schneider over Lundkvist. It is going to be interesting to see who they use as their 3rd pair LHD.

Once they decided to trade him, I am as happy with the return they got for him as I was unhappy with the return on the Buchnevich trade.

it is the easiest prediction in the world that if they are in contention the Rangers will trade for rentals at the deadline (they can’t afford to take on cap for next year), so at least now when they trade a 1st round pick for 30 games of a second line RW they will still have another first to use in what is supposed to be a good draft.
Why do you say that re: defense? I thought Schneider looked much better from what I saw.

I personally hate deadline deals. I feel like rentals never pan out and are always overpriced. The prospect pool is surprisingly light when you look past NHL roster. Would love for them to keep one or both of those picks.

Why do you say that re: defense? I thought Schneider looked much better from what I saw.

I personally hate deadline deals. I feel like rentals never pan out and are always overpriced. The prospect pool is surprisingly light when you look past NHL roster. Would love for them to keep one or both of those picks.
Schneider is only around 20 so there is lots of time for improvement, and it needs to be kept in mind that he played a lot with Nemeth as well, but his struggles with the puck aren’t offset by the fact he plays tough.

Crazy day o
Quick Devils (and Rangers) question... I recently switched to Hulu Live instead of Xfinity which I had for years. I don't think i'll get MSG so therefore no Devils games or Knicks, or Rangers... I'm a Devils fan, so not as concerned about Rangers.

Is there another way to watch MSG, specifically the Devils that you guys know of? Is there an NHL network, like the MLB or NFL have?

There is an NHL network but NYI/NYR/NJD games will be blacked out when shown. (Assuming you’re in the metro area)?

Quick Devils (and Rangers) question... I recently switched to Hulu Live instead of Xfinity which I had for years. I don't think i'll get MSG so therefore no Devils games or Knicks, or Rangers... I'm a Devils fan, so not as concerned about Rangers.

Is there another way to watch MSG, specifically the Devils that you guys know of? Is there an NHL network, like the MLB or NFL have?

you would need to purchase a VPN. Set your location to a different city and that will work.
You can buy an NHL package, and with the VPN the Devils won’t be blacked out

Zac jones looks really comfortable out there and very good. He was the favorite over robertson to begin with but tonight solidifies it I think

Also kandre is just special. This is the year he takes his game to another level

Reactions: RU Cheese
Zac jones looks really comfortable out there and very good. He was the favorite over robertson to begin with but tonight solidifies it I think
I hope GG’s positive references toward Libor a few days ago was lip service!
Jones should have been slightly miffed by it…. “he’s going to play a lot of hockey for us”
That was a strange quote by Turk

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
They needed it to take another year. They are going to have difficulty paying Miller what he deserves this summer.
Agreed. Rangers are really screwed this offseason with miller and laff. Theyre going to have to move some guys.

- My guess is they move Lindgren (which sucks because contract isnt that bad) and have robertson replace with him on second pair and bump kandre to play with fox. If Trouba didnt have the NMC youd obviously move that 8mm cap hit
- They’ll have to move Goodrow and replace him with Will Cuylle
- They’ll obviously not resign Reaves and maybe carry Matt Rempe as a 13th
Those moves above save about $7mm plus cap will go up about $2mm and kandres and laff’s roughly $2mm combined comes off the books and the three buyouts come off the books for girardi, shattenkirk and deangelo adding another $3.5mm in cap space leaving them $13.5mm to spread between the two of them. They’ll likely need to have 2 year bridge deals between $4-5mm each with the understanding in place that they’ll cash in summer 2025 when the cap will be up significantly.
They’ll also need to get Chytil locked up as well as Zac Jones (he’ll be easy). The chytil one is gonna be tough.
2023-2024 opening night roster might looksomething like this
Kreider-Mika-Laff
Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov
Othmann-Chytil-Kakko
Cuylle-Carpenter-Rempe/Sykora

Kandre-Fox
Robertson-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

Quite possible Krav gets moved after the year but this is kind of just a template

There's always a lot of discussions on 2nd deals as Rangers tend to go bridge. I'd lock Miller up if they can make the cap work.

Agreed. Rangers are really screwed this offseason with miller and laff. Theyre going to have to move some guys.

- My guess is they move Lindgren (which sucks because contract isnt that bad) and have robertson replace with him on second pair and bump kandre to play with fox. If Trouba didnt have the NMC youd obviously move that 8mm cap hit
- They’ll have to move Goodrow and replace him with Will Cuylle
- They’ll obviously not resign Reaves and maybe carry Matt Rempe as a 13th
Those moves above save about $7mm plus cap will go up about $2mm and kandres and laff’s roughly $2mm combined comes off the books and the three buyouts come off the books for girardi, shattenkirk and deangelo adding another $3.5mm in cap space leaving them $13.5mm to spread between the two of them. They’ll likely need to have 2 year bridge deals between $4-5mm each with the understanding in place that they’ll cash in summer 2025 when the cap will be up significantly.
They’ll also need to get Chytil locked up as well as Zac Jones (he’ll be easy). The chytil one is gonna be tough.
2023-2024 opening night roster might looksomething like this
Kreider-Mika-Laff
Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov
Othmann-Chytil-Kakko
Cuylle-Carpenter-Rempe/Sykora

Kandre-Fox
Robertson-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

Quite possible Krav gets moved after the year but this is kind of just a template
This summer they will still have Mika locked up for another 7 years (big mistake) and Trocheck for 6.

I don’t see them paying Chytil. He is blocked and they can’t afford to pay their 3C any real money with all of the other big contracts they have.

This summer they will still have Mika locked up for another 7 years (big mistake) and Trocheck for 6.

I don’t see them paying Chytil. He is blocked and they can’t afford to pay their 3C any real money with all of the other big contracts they have.
Youre probably right. 3C likely becomes a revolving door the next few years cycling guys like a stastny in and out. Not saying it’ll be him specifically but that type of player. A 34-37 y/o vet who wants another shot at a cup like a toews, or ideally jordan staal

if chytil goes 20G/30A this year he likely commands something like 5X5ish and cant afford that

There's always a lot of discussions on 2nd deals as Rangers tend to go bridge. I'd lock Miller up if they can make the cap work.
I don’t know if his role on the Rangers is ever going to get him a ton of points.

If they can convince him his slot is similar to the real good defensemen on the Islanders who don’t get a lot of points (Pellech and Pullock) his number would be $5-6 and lock him up now.

If he thinks he can grow his offensive game with the physical tools he has to be amongst the elite D in the league, his number would be $9 and I wouldn’t do that now with him and bridge him instead.

I don’t know if his role on the Rangers is ever going to get him a ton of points.

If they can convince him his slot is similar to the real good defensemen on the Islanders who don’t get a lot of points (Pellech and Pullock) his number would be $5-6 and lock him up now.

If he thinks he can grow his offensive game with the physical tools he has to be amongst the elite D in the league, his number would be $9 and I wouldn’t do that now with him and bridge him instead.
They likely could lock him up 6 years 5mm. Buy a couple ufa years, he gets to hit ufa at 29 win/win for both. Dont know if its cap permitting for the rangers though

They likely could lock him up 6 years 5mm. Buy a couple ufa years, he gets to hit ufa at 29 win/win for both. Dont know if its cap permitting for the rangers though
They can afford to pay Miller $5 million a year with the dead cap coming off the books and having Garand as the goalie backup on an ELC salary.

Then to afford Laf, Jones, Blais they will need to say goodbye to Goodrow, Reaves and Chytil. Lindgren will be a tough decision for them.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Let see if the first thing happens to make the next thing an actual problem.
Even if he didn’t progress anywhere past where he ended last year, you would still be looking at a bridge of at least 3.

I have FuboTV-gets all the Rangers games (and I think Devils too). I think they let you do a 1 week trial so you can see if you like it. Very sports-based, which works for me (BTN, SEC Network, YES, etc). Check it out.

Even if he didn’t progress anywhere past where he ended last year, you would still be looking at a bridge of at least 3.
I don't know anything about the bridge stuff in the NHL. That's all new to me.

Had no idea what you guys were talking about. 🤷‍♂️

They might be somewhat improved but in the Metro they’d have to be significantly better to reach the playoffs. I don’t see enough upgrades to the roster to see significant improvement.
I’ve been saying it for 2-3 years, but one day I’ll be right, lol, so I’ll say it again: PIT and WAS will start their descent (now?…soon?) and other young ascendant teams, like NJD, will fill the gap. TBH - for bubble teams like the devils, I would be more worried about the ATL. I’d would not be shocked if they got 5 teams this year. OTT is gonna be a problem…real soon. DET and dare I say…BUF?!…are on the same track.

I have FuboTV-gets all the Rangers games (and I think Devils too). I think they let you do a 1 week trial so you can see if you like it. Very sports-based, which works for me (BTN, SEC Network, YES, etc). Check it out.
When I picked which service to use last year, I went with YouTube TV because I would only be giving up the NHL network, while Fubo didn’t have the Turner networks that have a lot of games.

Does Fubo have TNT, TBS, etc. now?

I don't know anything about the bridge stuff in the NHL. That's all new to me.

Had no idea what you guys were talking about. 🤷‍♂️
When people use the term “bridge deal” in the NHL, it is because the teams have a lot of control of young players and players cannot become unrestricted free agents until they are 27 or have 7 years in the league.

Teams have to decide how be use that control.

With a guy like Fox, there was no question he was really good and the Rangers signed him to a long term deal (9.5 million x 7 years). The Rangers are happy because they locked him up through age 29-30, three years part when he could have been a free agent. Fox is happy because he makes a ton of money and will become a free agent when he is young enough ti get another good deal,

It is when you don’t know how good a player really is that the bridge deal comes in.

Next summer K’Andre will be 23 years old, four years from free agency. The Rangers have cap issues the next couple of summers so giving him a two to three year bridge deal would work for them, because he is still not a free agent at the end of it. Miller probably won’t love it because if he has to wait until he is 25-26 a ears old to get his first big contract, he probably won’t get a second because he will be too old at 32-33.

TLDR- a bridge deal is a short contract that uses up some of the years a team controls a player, but not all of them, so they can put off giving that player a long term deal for a while.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
When people use the term “bridge deal” in the NHL, it is because the teams have a lot of control of young players and players cannot become unrestricted free agents until they are 27 or have 7 years in the league.

With a guy like Fox, there was no question he was really good and the Rangers signed him to a long term deal (9.5 million x 7 years). The Rangers are happy because they locked him up through age 29-30, three years part when he could have been a free agent. Fox is happy because he makes a ton of money and will become a free agent when he is young enough ti get another good deal,

It is when you don’t know how good a player really is that the bridge deal comes in.

Next summer K’Andre will be 23 years old, four years from free agency. The Rangers have cap issues the next couple of summers so giving him a two to three year bridge deal would work for them, because he is still not a free agent at the end of it. Miller probably won’t love it because if he has to wait until he is 25-26 a ears old to get his first big contract, he probably won’t get a second because he will be too old at 32-33.

TLDR- a bridge deal is a short contract that uses up some of the years a team controls a player, but not all of them, so they can put off giving that player a long term deal for a while.
Thank you.

And good news about Fox as his sweater was requested by my older boy for Christmas this year. Nice to hear he’ll be around awhile in case Santa does his thing.

Great info, thanks for posting.

I enjoyed the NHL discussions in years past. But if the ranger fans want to self-segregate, whatever.
I am a Ranger fan first but I like and watch hockey overall. However, it appears the most notable thing about the Flyers this year will be Torts shaking things up and not controlling his temper as they continually lose.

Reactions: mdh2003
I like how you purposely left out the Islanders and Flyers. I smell your fear...
Lol.

If this is for me, I also successfully predicted final 4 appearances for NYI in 2 of the last 3 years. They let me down last year. I absolutely loved the PO makeup and coaching of those teams. Reg season, not so much. TROTZ coached that team as well as humanly possible. If LAMBERT doesn’t do the same, and coach to the team’s strengths, it‘s going to be tough sledding. NYI are not getting any younger. If they don’t get SOME kind of secondary scoring (the only real weakness for years) while most of these big guys are 30ish, this window will unceremoniously slam shut. Regardless, they should be in the mix, but I’m not predicting any more final fours.

PHI is a train wreck. They will be in the BEDARD sweepstakes.

I also left out CAR/NYR (most likely will finish 1/2) and CLB (will get a shot in the from Johnny Hockey and be on the bubble).

Way to early MET prediction:
NYR
CAR
PIT
NYI
NJ
CLB
WAS
PHI

Not a lot of points difference from 3 to 7.

I am a Ranger fan first but I like and watch hockey overall. However, it appears the most notable thing about the Flyers this year will be Torts shaking things up and not controlling his temper as they continually lose.
TORTS vs TDA will be worth the price of admission. What’s your over/under on games before DEFCON 1? I’m gonna say 24.

TORTS vs TDA will be worth the price of admission. What’s your over/under on games before DEFCON 1? I’m gonna say 24.
I think that it can go two ways.

They might be fighting from day one. However, I think there is a a chance greater than 0% that Torts likes ADA and lets him loose. The thing Torts hates is a player who appears to not care or try his best. That has never been ADA’s problem.

I think that it can go two ways.

They might be fighting from day one. However, I think there is a a chance greater than 0% that Torts likes ADA and lets him loose. The thing Torts hates is a player who appears to not care or try his best. That has never been ADA’s problem.
Maybe. But ADA is always a whisper from doing something really stupid. I think he was pretty quiet last year. He’s due, lol.

I've been a Rangers fan for over 30 years. Only once has the post-game ever been must see TV - those Torts II years.

When I picked which service to use last year, I went with YouTube TV because I would only be giving up the NHL network, while Fubo didn’t have the Turner networks that have a lot of games.

Does Fubo have TNT, TBS, etc. now?
Good point-if you're interested in other games on TBS, TNT Fubo doesn't carry those networks. I didn't miss it much except I have yet to see Paul "Biz Nasty" Bissonnette on camera.

I think he's as good as anyone for that job. Great at taking a mediocre team and making them better. Does he have the horses (and patience) to do that in Philly? Press conferences will be epic.

ADVERTISEMENT