ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

I think he's as good as anyone for that job. Great at taking a mediocre team and making them better. Does he have the horses (and patience) to do that in Philly? Press conferences will be epic.
Ryan Ellis won’t play this season and likely will never play again. Couturier is injured again and will likely miss all of October and November at the very least. At best they are probably an 82 point team this season unless some kids really step up out of nowhere and become very good NHL players suddenly and Kevin Hayes plays much better than he did last year.

Reactions: phlop87
Had to find these thread pages deep, to rip Tom Fitzgerald yet again. Yesterday the NJD released Johnnson. I have lost count how many players Fitzgerald has jettisoned and gotten nothing in return!

Go back a month or 2, the Ducks were several million dollars under the floor. A capable GM, that is good and confident shops him then, and gets at least a draft pick, in this year's deep draft. Not Tom, who apparently likes losing capable NHL talent for nothing.

Ok Rangers fans, my dad won a lot and always believed in the light switch theory…for the most part.
His old Yankees never won in spring training but won 10 World Series and another few pennants in his career.
Time for the Blueshirts to stop the exhibition game sleepwalking and use the save it for the season philosophy.

Ok Rangers fans, my dad won a lot and always believed in the light switch theory…for the most part.
His old Yankees never won in spring training but won 10 World Series and another few pennants in his career.
Time for the Blueshirts to stop the exhibition game sleepwalking and use the save it for the season philosophy.
Zap-

I don’t give a crap about how the Rangers play in the preseason.

-I care about the Rangers as always recently, making poor decisions about the 10th-13th forwards and 6th-7th defensemen on the team.

-I care that, once again they are playing bottom 6 wingers in the top 6.

-I care that they benched Kravstov after two bad periods playing on a line centered by a guy who had a horrifically bad preseason (Trocheck) even though the guy who made the top 6 instead of him was a Ranger PTO away from being out of the league.

-I care that they keep (and keep playing) Reaves, who costs the cap space of two players, even though he is one of the worst players in the league and the supposed toughness he brings doesn’t deter anything (another Ranger got run last night with Reaves dressed. He did nothing when Subban slewfooted Blais last year and ended his season).

The Rangers made it to the semis last year playing some of the worst defensemen and forwards in the league at the bottom of their lineup and are doing it again. Imagine how good they would be if their 4th line and 3rd pair were league average.

Reactions: zappaa
Season preview, lots of talk about NYR:

Interesting, but no big surprises from the talking heads.

Notably absent from any predictions are some recent big time EC teams: BOS/PIT/WAS/NYI. Will this be the year that the changing of the guard, with “down” teams like NJD, is completed?

They can for sure win it all if they get their act together, but no way would I bet that TOR would win their division, let alone a Stanley Cup. Win one playoff round in 20 years first, then I’ll be a believer. Funny thing is, if they get that monkey off their back, they just might keep rolling.

My surprise teams to sneak into the playoffs - OTT, CLB

My Dark Horse cup winner - CAL.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Interesting, but no big surprises from the talking heads.

Notably absent from any predictions are some recent big time EC teams: BOS/PIT/WAS/NYI. Will this be the year that the changing of the guard, with “down” teams like NJD, is completed?

They can for sure win it all if they get their act together, but no way would I bet that TOR would win their division, let alone a Stanley Cup. Win one playoff round in 20 years first, then I’ll be a believer. Funny thing is, if they get that monkey off their back, they just might keep rolling.

My surprise teams to sneak into the playoffs - OTT, CLB

My Dark Horse cup winner - CAL.
The Devils with league average goaltending will challenge for the playoffs.

I think Shesterkin is still really good this year, but Sorokin has a crazy good year like Shesty did last year.

Reactions: mdh2003
The Devils with league average goaltending will challenge for the playoffs.

I think Shesterkin is still really good this year, but Sorokin has a crazy good year like Shesty did last year.
I can see it. Sorokin is a very good goalie. And with the NYI scoring woes, they will need it. I’ll say the same thing that I have for a few years now - NYI make the playoffs, look out. They will pound their first 2 round opponents.

Cant wait for the first puck to drop tonight. Agree with KYK and Zap about miller If I could find odds on him winning the Norris trophy I'd put 100 on him

I can see it. Sorokin is a very good goalie. And with the NYI scoring woes, they will need it. I’ll say the same thing that I have for a few years now - NYI make the playoffs, look out. They will pound their first 2 round opponents.
Sorokin had pretty similar stats to Shesterkin in Russia (albeit playing a completely different style).

He already has put up good numbers, now he has the experience to make the big jump like Shesty did.

The Devils made some solid moves this off-season. They should be competing for a playoff spot this year. Offense was not their issue last year, it was the goaltending. If they can stay healthy at that spot, should be improved.
I thought Devils would be awful this year and then looked at over under and odds of making the playoffs and they are expected to be better than they have.

nice seeing PK retire.

Reactions: TM94goRU
One of the cleanest games the Rangers have played against a quality opponent in a long time.
Mika…. My God, shot out of a cannon all night

Last edited:
One of the cleanest games the Rangers have played against a quality opponent in a long time.
Mika…. My God, shot of cannon all night
+1
Pretty easy win. Out shot TB and even had a huge FO margin (which never happens). When do the playoffs start? :)

Reactions: zappaa
+1
Pretty easy win. Out shot TB and even had a huge FO margin (which never happens). When do the playoffs start? :)
Unbelievable that there was even a question whether Gallant would give Hayek or Jones the LHD spot.

Jones is so much better with the puck that his ability to get the puck out of the zone will far outweigh any perceived lack of toughness due to his size.

Tough break for Kravstov on a cheap play by Hedman. Yet another example of a Ranger getting hurt by a cheap shot when Reaves is dressed (showing he doesn’t deter anything).

311505417_10158750765137466_6931512635155382793_n.jpg

Martin Brodeur feeling real good about the NJD. He gave an interview with NHL.com where he said the Devils were ready to get back to where we should be.

Let's get back in the playoffs. First victims the Philadelphia Flyers.

How the PHuk can opening night be only on espn+
Absolutely absurd. Bettman is and always will be a complete moron.

How the PHuk can opening night be only on espn+
Absolutely absurd. Bettman is and always will be a complete moron.
I think it's free and MSG is showing the game if you live in the NYC area.

EDIT; I stand corrected, not on MSG. Twats.

Good luck guys see you in 2 years when the Flyers might be capable of getting more than 80 points.

It is now happening in every sport with these streaming services. The league's are taking the money and giving the streaming service an exclusive. Fan's didn't think things would rise like this when they cut the chord. ESPN+ only tonight. $9.99 per a month. A lot of games on the service, not just hockey. I can't stand Disney but it is nice for the games.

Alex Holtz scores his 1st NHL goal! Devils up 1-0. Damn now 1-1 2 goals in 23 seconds.

Torts has the Flyers looking more like the Flyers. This game could have happened in 1997! Blackwood must control his rebounds better, on Allison's goal.

It is now happening in every sport with these streaming services. The league's are taking the money and giving the streaming service an exclusive. Fan's didn't think things would rise like this when they cut the chord. ESPN+ only tonight. $9.99 per a month. A lot of games on the service, not just hockey. I can't stand Disney but it is nice for the games.
It’s opening day!
They have an elderly fanbase in nursing homes, assisted living situations and just plain tech challenged.
Not to mention low income families.
It’s not a very nice thing to do

It’s opening day!
They have an elderly fanbase in nursing homes, assisted living situations and just plain tech challenged.
Not to mention low income families.
It’s not a very nice thing to do
I'm right there with you, on this being wrong even though it does not affect me personally. That is why I made the comment about the streaming services. All pro leagues now do this, look at Thursday Night Football exclusively on Prime.

They sold everybody on cutting the chord, but you used to get more content for less! Now you need around 5 or more streaming services not to miss something that used to be on basic cable in the '90's or early '00's. Once again the fan gets asked to pony up more, or gets screwed.

Rangers up 3-0 on Minnesota after 1. Panarin & Lafraniere looking good on the same line. Shesty being Shesty.

Laffy with 2 nice assists. We may have something playing with Bread.

ADVERTISEMENT