ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 MLB Postseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the F SACRIFICE bunts with one out ?????

how the hell do you not use Hader ?????

must of had a bad COOL WHIP+ when its raining on the road. Maybe his hard hit rate and his war+(x=-c+/- ¥) wasn’t good with the lights on.
Melvin was horrible 2 straight games.

Aside from the game being managed poorly, you really have to give credit to the Phils for slugging the fvck out of the ball.

Harper is in another world right now

Reactions: Knight Shift
He turned and bunted ball straight to pitcher, didn’t try to push or pull ball down the line. Mets allowed a horrible hitter to have his 3 best games of season against them all in a row.

Who the F SACRIFICE bunts with one out ?????

how the hell do you not use Hader ?????

must of had a bad COOL WHIP+ when its raining on the road. Maybe his hard hit rate and his war+(x=-c+/- ¥) wasn’t good with the lights on.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with Hader. He hasn't gone 6 outs for a save in a long time. I guess you could have gone Hader and then someone else in the 9th but Suarez has been dominant all year and had only given up one HR to a lefty up until that point.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with Hader. He hasn't gone 6 outs for a save in a long time. I guess you could have gone Hader and then someone else in the 9th but Suarez has been dominant all year and had only given up one HR to a lefty up until that point.
He doesn’t need to go 6 though?

He could have pitched the 8th and Martinez absolutely could have faced 3 batters in the 9th.

Martinez was our closer for when Hader was broken.

Absolutely criminal to end the season without throwing Hader out there.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I doubt it was a sacrifice. Gresham was probably bunting on his own.
I agree he was bunting for a hit. But he may have been thinking that a sacifice putting the lead run into scoring position would not be a terrible outcome. When you're on the road, you play for a win, and putting the lead runner in scoring position helps do that.

My question is this: why didn't the Padres hit for Grisham with a left-hander on the mound, especially because Grisham hadn't gotten a hit in the whole series? Why not, for instance, bat Alfaro for him?

He doesn’t need to go 6 though?

He could have pitched the 8th and Martinez absolutely could have faced 3 batters in the 9th.

Martinez was our closer for when Hader was broken.

Absolutely criminal to end the season without throwing Hader out there.
Martinez pitched three innings yesterday, and so was probably unavailable today.

He turned and bunted ball straight to pitcher, didn’t try to push or pull ball down the line. Mets allowed a horrible hitter to have his 3 best games of season against them all in a row.
Even a dumber move with Suarez on the mound, he was probably the best fielding pitcher in the majors this year.
Look I'm glad that he didn't, but I would've had Hader pitch to the best part of the lineup, including the hottest hitter on the planet against whom he has the platoon advantage. Then pitch someone else against the bottom of the lineup in the 9th.

Reactions: The RUT
Nah he was available, he was available for more yesterday too (Melvin said in the post game)
First, I think Melvin was blowing smoke. If Martinez could have gone more than three innings yesterday, he would have -- he was unhittable.But he had thrown 43 pitches -- that's a lot for a reliever. Second, even if he was available to go further yesterday, that doesn't mean he could have gone today. A lot of pitchers can't go two days in a row after a prolonged outing like that.

Hader hasn't gone more than an inning all year. Robert Suarez hadn't given up a run since August 29. Staying with Suarez was a logical move. He just got a pitch over the plate, and Harper took it the other way.

For me, the unanswered question remains, "why didn't Melvin pinch-hit for Grisham in the ninth?"

First, I think Melvin was blowing smoke. If Martinez could have gone more than three innings yesterday, he would have -- he was unhittable.But he had thrown 43 pitches -- that's a lot for a reliever. Second, even if he was available to go further yesterday, that doesn't mean he could have gone today. A lot of pitchers can't go two days in a row after a prolonged outing like that.

Hader hasn't gone more than an inning all year. Robert Suarez hadn't given up a run since August 29. Staying with Suarez was a logical move. He just got a pitch over the plate, and Harper took it the other way.

For me, the unanswered question remains, "why didn't Melvin pinch-hit for Grisham in the ninth?"
He’s been very versatile this year, started for us, closed for us, set up man, long relief. I supposed you could make the argument is arm isn’t built up.

Garcia was also available for the 9th even if Nick couldn’t go.

I disagree staying with Suarez was the logical move. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but the save was very clearly in the 8th. You have to bring Hader in.

Grish struggled the series, but you already brought Azocar in to run for Bell so your choice is either Campy or Alfaro. I would have been fine with both.

The drag bunt was just a pathetic call. Idk if it was Grish or Melvin, but so so bad. Just swing the bat.

He’s been very versatile this year, started for us, closed for us, set up man, long relief. I supposed you could make the argument is arm isn’t built up.

Garcia was also available for the 9th even if Nick couldn’t go.

I disagree staying with Suarez was the logical move. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but the save was very clearly in the 8th. You have to bring Hader in.

Grish struggled the series, but you already brought Azocar in to run for Bell so your choice is either Campy or Alfaro. I would have been fine with both.

The drag bunt was just a pathetic call. Idk if it was Grish or Melvin, but so so bad. Just swing the bat.
If he had been able to lay down the drag bunt, everyone would be taking about how brilliant it was. But it wasn't a good move with an excellent fielder like Ranger Suarez on the mound. If I were Melvin, I would have pinch-hit for Grisham. On the other hand, who would have substituted for Grisham in the field in the bottom of the ninth if the Padres had scored? Certainly Alfaro couldn't have.

I can see Garcia for the ninth, but I continue to think that staying with Suarez was a reasonable thing to do. It just didn't work.

If he had been able to lay down the drag bunt, everyone would be taking about how brilliant it was. But it wasn't a good move with an excellent fielder like Ranger Suarez on the mound. If I were Melvin, I would have pinch-hit for Grisham. On the other hand, who would have substituted for Grisham in the field in the bottom of the ninth if the Padres had scored? Certainly Alfaro couldn't have.

I can see Garcia for the ninth, but I continue to think that staying with Suarez was a reasonable thing to do. It just didn't work.
Forgive my ignorance here, not sure if the rule changed with the DH change.

Azocar ran for Bell who was DH so Azocar to CF and then Campy or Alfaro as DH.

Since we're talking about the DH, it's worth mentioning that the Phillies would almost certainly not be going to the World Series if the DH hadn't become universal. Harper can't play right field because of his elbow. At best, perhaps he could play first, which means either Hoskins' bat is lost or he has to play left field, which means Schwarber's bat is lost. Hoskins played left field in 2018 when the Phillies had Carlos Santana and Hoskins was definitely *not* a plus fielder. That's why the Phillies traded Santana at the end of the season.

Excited Ric Flair GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Here are Bob Melvin's comments. He says they were going to try a four-out save with Hader. Suarez hadn't allowed a homer to a left-handed hitter all year. He also says that Grisham was trying to bunt for a hit.
Yeah I saw, and logically I understand the point. I guess my complaint is, where has the respect for “the moment” gone?

Harper has been playing out of his mind and it’s just one of those things in sports. In that scenario, to me, you have to throw your best against their best.

If Hader comes in and goes 1, 2, 3 then the game is over IMO.

Aside from that, the series was lost long before yesterday. The Padres had so many opportunities they let the series slip away from them IMO.

Best thing about all of this is Soto started to do serious damage for the first time as a Padre. Hader still here for next season. Tatis will be back. Fan base got to see October baseball.

Lots of good things about this season.

Even a dumber move with Suarez on the mound, he was probably the best fielding pitcher in the majors this year.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I liked the bunt. He's been ice cold and facing a lefty. You bunt for a hit, but at minimum, you get the winning run to second. Not to mention, you've got a pitcher who's juat come in, coming off a slippery mound, who has to spin to make the play. I'm a lefty and I pitched a bit in my high school days. That is not an easy play, especially with the runner blocking your view.
So worst case scenario, you now need one hit to go ahead instead of two. If the manager is gonna send him up there, which he shouldn't have, this was not a bad play at all.

If Philly were to win it this year, that would be 3 of the last 4 years a World Series Champion would come from The NL East, just the Marlins and our loveable Mets not doing it,😟 That would then put the NL streak at 4 years running. We shall see, still some great baseball to watch.

If Philly were to win it this year, that would be 3 of the last 4 years a World Series Champion would come from The NL East, just the Marlins and our loveable Mets not doing it,😟 That would then put the NL streak at 4 years running. We shall see, still some great baseball to watch.
Houston looks really solid, have to wonder if the Phils will cool off or if this is who they are now.

Harper looks like a man possessed

Mets have 0
Pretty sure I just stated that.Switched my logo back since my work is done here. 😎 One last thing, just heard on WFAN,that the Yankees set a new MLB record of losing 5 ALCS in a row,just not in consecutive years,so you always can have that. Over and out,I'm done.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I just stated that.Switched my logo back since my work is done here. One last thing, just heard on WFAN,that the Yankees set a new MLB record of losing 5 ALCS in a row,just not in consecutive years,so you always can have that. Over and out,I'm done.
Hahahaha “my work here is done”

I had a bunch of friends texting me yesterday talking smack since the Padres lost.

They’re all Yankee fans so I obviously proceeded with gifs of people sweeping the floor.

I’d be so angry as a Yankee fan.

• Haha
Hahahaha “my work here is done”

I had a bunch of friends texting me yesterday talking smack since the Padres lost.

They’re all Yankee fans so I obviously proceeded with gifs of people sweeping the floor.

I’d be so angry as a Yankee fan.
most likely same type of fans that hit all their Met's fan friends with 1 hit wonder GIFs too.

Off season will be interesting for everyone.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I liked the bunt. He's been ice cold and facing a lefty. You bunt for a hit, but at minimum, you get the winning run to second. Not to mention, you've got a pitcher who's juat come in, coming off a slippery mound, who has to spin to make the play. I'm a lefty and I pitched a bit in my high school days. That is not an easy play, especially with the runner blocking your view.
So worst case scenario, you now need one hit to go ahead instead of two. If the manager is gonna send him up there, which he shouldn't have, this was not a bad play at all.
I agree. Analytics says you shouldn't trade an out for an advance in base, especially when there's already one out. But my gut says it's OK to do it here for the reasons you've mentioned. Beside, unlike the normal situation, two batters are being advanced. OTOH, as as others have said, Ranger Suarez is an exceptionally good fielding pitcher. (Notice he ends his delivery by going into an excellent fielding stance, while most lefties fall off toward third base.) Even so, a bunt past the mound would have worked. Perhaps the Padres should have hit for Grisham, but that would have meant weakening the defense and giving up the DH in extra innings.

I get that, make the opponent make a play in tough conditions. But I think you have to be aware of the situation there. It would be a way better play with Robertson, or one of the other Phillies lefties Alvarado or Hand on the mound. Suarez doesn't get out out control and is an elite fielding pitcher.

I get that, make the opponent make a play in tough conditions. But I think you have to be aware of the situation there. It would be a way better play with Robertson, or one of the other Phillies lefties Alvarado or Hand on the mound. Suarez doesn't get out out control and is an elite fielding pitcher.
It’s a dumb play.

Just completely unnecessary.

If the call was from Melvin, then why is he even at the plate if you have that little confidence in him?

If the call was Grisham’s then it’s a good thing Tatis will be playing OF next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT