ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NHL Playoff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassOf02

Heisman Winner
Sep 30, 2010
The best postseason in all of sports gets underway tonight. Round 1 matchups are:

Panthers/Caps
Leafs/Lightning
Canes/Bruins
Rangers/Pens

Avs/Predators
Wild/Blues
Flames/Stars
Oilers/Kings

Will Toronto finally win a playoff series (would be their first since 2004)?
Will the obvious cream rise (Panthers/Avs), or will there be chaos for a top seed?
Will Colorado shake the demon of another early exit?
Will Edmonton, with arguably the 2 best players in the NHL, get anywhere?
Will ANY Canadian team end the Stanley Cup drought?
Can Igor Shesterkin stand on his head for 2 straight months (please!)?

My heart says Rangers vs anyone in the Stanley Cup final. My head says Panthers/Wild, and I’ll take the Panthers.

Let the games begin!

Reactions: robcac26
First officiating controversy of the playoffs, as the refs waive off a late 3rd period Rangers goal due to goalie interference. Tough call as it sure looked like Kakko was pushed into DeSmith.

Rangers/Pens headed to OT, tied 3-3.

Have to have clear evidence to overturn. How in heaven’s name was there clear evidence? He did not take a direct line to the goaltender

Question for hockey experts. The Penguins challenged that call after call on ice was a good goal. But they used their timeout in the 2nd period. Guessing you don’t need to have a timeout to still use your challenge?

Question for hockey experts. The Penguins challenged that call after call on ice was a good goal. But they used their timeout in the 2nd period. Guessing you don’t need to have a timeout to still use your challenge?
I think if you lose the challenge in that instance, it results in a delay of game penalty.

I think if you lose the challenge in that instance, it results in a delay of game penalty.
Yeah I looked it up and you’re right. Can challenge regardless of TO…if you lose, it’s a DOG penalty. This game should’ve been over 2 hours ago.

Headed to 3OT.

Tonight's officials should be retired by this time tomorrow. In addition to questionable calls, game winner scored after clear by the Rangers was stopped in the corner because Tweedle Dum was unable to get out of the way of the puck.

Ice is TOO crowded; 4 officials not needed.

Tonight's officials should be retired by this time tomorrow. In addition to questionable calls, game winner scored after clear by the Rangers was stopped in the corner because Tweedle Dum was unable to get out of the way of the puck.

Ice is TOO crowded; 4 officials not needed.
Rangers won tonight with 3 minutes left in regulation. Except Bettman’s boys said no.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Was at game tonight. Classic for a game 1. Igor was unreal. Tough loss especially after Pens backup goalie came in during 2nd overtime.
Trying to think but this may have been my first hockey playoff game in decades.
Crowd was electric at beginning of game and then crowd gradually sizzled down.
Gotta say was disappointed again with Rangers crowd.
Amateur moment of night was when Rangers were touting on scoreboard that game was a sellout. Come on ! It’s the damn playoffs! Better sellout. !

First officiating controversy of the playoffs, as the refs waive off a late 3rd period Rangers goal due to goalie interference. Tough call as it sure looked like Kakko was pushed into DeSmith.

Rangers/Pens headed to OT, tied 3-3.

Have to have clear evidence to overturn. How in heaven’s name was there clear evidence? He did not take a direct line to the goaltender
Here is the text of the relevant part of the rule:

"If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a
defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the
goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the
attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player
has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

My guess is that although Kakko was pushed by Dumoulin before making contact with DeSmith, when watching the replay they didn't see Kakko making "a reasonable effort to avoid such contact." Now exactly how he's supposed to do that in the split second after being shoved while also trying to get the puck on net, I have no idea, but that is what the rule says. These calls seem to go either way though.

That used to be the rule because the punishment for a failed challenge was losing your timeout. Then to reduce the number of frivolous challenges, they upped the punishment to a delay of game penalty, so you no longer need to have your timeout to challenge a play.

Panarin played the most bizarre hockey game I’ve seen from him in years.
Completely avoided taking the puck to the net or shooting it.
Unfortunately for Ranger fans (Bread’s) performance last night was a carbon copy of his 3 games against the Hurricanes in the bubble a few years ago…a non factor perimeter player with little impact.

Change coaches, personnel, GM’s and styles, but you can’t change the Ranger curse of allowing ridiculous amounts of time, space and open ice.
History tells me the Rangers 2nd periods after strong 1sts against quality teams is horrendous….if you can’t keep it up, then just play even tight to the vest hockey for two periods and save yourself for a strong 3rd period..

Panarin played the most bizarre hockey game I’ve seen from him in years.
Completely avoided taking the puck to the net or shooting it.
Unfortunately for Ranger fans (Bread’s) performance last night was a carbon copy of his 3 games against the Hurricanes in the bubble a few years ago…a non factor perimeter player with little impact.

Change coaches, personnel, GM’s and styles, but you can’t change the Ranger curse of allowing ridiculous amounts of time, space and open ice.
History tells me the Rangers 2nd periods after strong 1sts against quality teams is horrendous….if you can’t keep it up, then just play even tight to the vest hockey for two periods and save yourself for a strong 3rd period..
He does not look healthy. Was very apprehensive to be even a little bit physical and his general game was just off.

He does not look healthy. Was very apprehensive to be even a little bit physical and his general game was just off.
My Rangers insider told me he’s fine Cheese.
I watched Ranger forwards last night for 5 periods skating backwards in the offensive zone allowing Letang to get a full head of steam and no pressure to get rid of the puck or make a decision.
Remind me the next time you see a Carolina forward skating away from the puck carrier 5 on 5

Rangers won tonight with 3 minutes left in regulation. Except Bettman’s boys said no.
+1
Amazing play by KK to win the game. The video ref must of had a FanDuel superboost on the Pens last night. That's the only way to explain such an awful call.

Sadly, it is very tough for a team to overcome such thievery.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
+1
Amazing play by KK to win the game. The video ref must of had a FanDuel superboost on the Pens last night. That's the only way to explain such an awful call.

Aside from the fact we stunk for basically 5 periods.
The refs thought Pittsburgh also played almost two games with 2 minutes in penalties.
So…..they didn’t hold, cross check, interfere with, trip or slash any Rangers except one

+1

If they waved off on the ice, I get it; though Kakko did not contact goalie on his own.

But they OVERTURNED the call on the ice. The only thing I can think of was the league not wanting the deciding goal to be controversial.
By doing so, it's exactly what they caused to happen.

Rangers up 2-0, Pens awarded 3 straight power plays. Rangers pull ahead 3-2, Pens awarded another power play. Then the reversal. I don't want to believe in bias, but am I to believe that the Penguins played 105 straight minutes of penalty free hockey?? Power plays were 4 to 1.

Bizarre.

If they waved off on the ice, I get it; though Kakko did not contact goalie on his own.

But they OVERTURNED the call on the ice. The only thing I can think of was the league not wanting the deciding goal to be controversial.

Rangers up 2-0, Pens awarded 3 straight power plays. Rangers pull ahead 3-2, Pens awarded another power play. Then the reversal. I don't want to believe in bias, but am I to believe that the Penguins played 105 straight minutes of penalty free hockey?? Power plays were 4 to 1.

Bizarre.
And a long 5 on 3

Bizarre.
The league does not tell the refs who should win games, and the refs don't care who wins either. They're out there trying to perform to the best of their abilities just like everyone else on the ice. Even if the league was pulling strings like that, it would be in their best interest to make sure the New York team wins, not Pittsburgh.

My Rangers insider told me he’s fine Cheese.
I watched Ranger forwards last night for 5 periods skating backwards in the offensive zone allowing Letang to get a full head of steam and no pressure to get rid of the puck or make a decision.
Remind me the next time you see a Carolina forward skating away from the puck carrier 5 on 5
Augh - that's even worse.

You're right on second point. D gap control got progressively worse as night went on.

The league does not tell the refs who should win games, and the refs don't care who wins either. They're out there trying to perform to the best of their abilities just like everyone else on the ice. Even if the league was pulling strings like that, it would be in their best interest to make sure the New York team wins, not Pittsburgh.

I want to believe that to be true.

The way that game transpired really changed the momentum . . .twice. And the overturned goal couldn't possibly have showed definitive proof that Kakko could have avoided the keeper; it's completely subjective. It's like trying to prove a negative; almost impossible. If there is any doubt, the call on the ice should hold.
In my opinion, THAT call was a CHOICE; not based on a rule.

You must not know about the league’s preference of NHL’s Golden Boy Sidney Crosby and his Pittsburgh Penguins all of these years?

Totally agree-
That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a ridiculous amount of non calls and an unfair, unbalanced application of penalties last night.
The Penguins D man was the guy laying on the goalie last night, not KK!!!!

I want to believe that to be true.

The way that game transpired really changed the momentum . . .twice. And the overturned goal couldn't possibly have showed definitive proof that Kakko could have avoided the keeper; it's completely subjective. It's like trying to prove a negative; almost impossible. If there is any doubt, the call on the ice should hold.
In my opinion, THAT call was a CHOICE; not based on a rule.
Of course it's subjective, that's why these calls are unfortunately a total crapshoot, just like "distinct kicking motion." If the refs were instructed to decide outcomes, first of all there would have to be so many people in on it that someone would have spoken out about it by now and then the league would lose credibility forever, and secondly if they wanted the Penguins to win, they would have just called no-goal on the ice instead of calling it a goal, hoping they challenge it, and then overturning it. Every team has fans that think the league is out to get them whenever a controversial call goes against them.

Totally agree-
That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a ridiculous amount of non calls and an unfair, unbalanced application of penalties last night.
The Penguins D man was the guy laying on the goalie last night, not KK!!!!
There very well might have been, there are wrong calls in pretty much every game, and sometimes one team gets more calls in their favor than the other. I'm just saying it's not some league conspiracy against the Rangers. It doesn't matter that it was a Penguin on top of DeSmith at the time the puck went in, Kakko clearly made contact with him--the issue was they didn't feel he did enough to avoid that contact. As I said, I don't know how he's supposed to do so in that scenario, but unfortunately the rule says you have to make an effort to avoid it and whether right or wrong, they felt he did not.

Of course it's subjective, that's why these calls are unfortunately a total crapshoot, just like "distinct kicking motion." If the refs were instructed to decide outcomes, first of all there would have to be so many people in on it that someone would have spoken out about it by now and then the league would lose credibility forever, and secondly if they wanted the Penguins to win, they would have just called no-goal on the ice instead of calling it a goal, hoping they challenge it, and then overturning it. Every team has fans that think the league is out to get them whenever a controversial call goes against them.

So, quick question then, do you believe that the call on the ice should have stood?

When in doubt, you need to defer to the on ice call. Had the call been no goal on ice, I certainly saw no evidence to justify overturning a "no goal" call either.

So, quick question then, do you believe that the call on the ice should have stood?

When in doubt, you need to defer to the on ice call. Had the call been no goal on ice, I certainly saw no evidence to justify overturning a "no goal" call either.
If I was reviewing it, I'd probably call it a goal, but given how the rule is written, I can see how someone would justify the opposite although I disagree with it in this case. I think the rule needs to be better written though, and these goalie interference reviews are always a coin flip. My point is really just that the refs are making the calls that they feel is right, they aren't puppets controlled by some evil entity known as "the league." When they are wrong, it's because they just got it wrong--not because they were told to make the wrong call.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdh2003
There very well might have been, there are wrong calls in pretty much every game, and sometimes one team gets more calls in their favor than the other. I'm just saying it's not some league conspiracy against the Rangers. It doesn't matter that it was a Penguin on top of DeSmith at the time the puck went in, Kakko clearly made contact with him--the issue was they didn't feel he did enough to avoid that contact. As I said, I don't know how he's supposed to do so in that scenario, but unfortunately the rule says you have to make an effort to avoid it and whether right or wrong, they felt he did not.
You could just as easily make the argument that Kakko took a line to the top of the crease to avoid contact with DeSmith, but was thrown off that line by Dumolin’s push (right between the 2 & 4 in KK’s back).

No one is right or wrong in this debate I guess; it’s just wild that they overturned the call on the ice.

And when I allow my emotions to kick in, it sure feels like the Pens get that call way more than their fair share.

Bizarre.

And a long 5 on 3
Clearly a slash by Crosby during that whole sequence.

The best postseason in all of sports gets underway tonight. Round 1 matchups are:

Panthers/Caps
Leafs/Lightning
Canes/Bruins
Rangers/Pens

Avs/Predators
Wild/Blues
Flames/Stars
Oilers/Kings

My heart says Rangers vs anyone in the Stanley Cup final. My head says Panthers/Wild, and I’ll take the Panthers.

Let the games begin!
Big fight in that game last night.

If I was reviewing it, I'd probably call it a goal, but given how the rule is written, I can see how someone would justify the opposite although I disagree with it in this case. I think the rule needs to be better written though, and these goalie interference reviews are always a coin flip. My point is really just that the refs are making the calls that they feel is right, they aren't puppet masters controlled by some evil entity known as "the league." When they are wrong, it's because they just got it wrong--not because they were told to make the wrong call.

Agree. But, the refs in this case, made what they felt was the right call. And some guy in Toronto, with no real feel for how that particular game is progressing changed the call.

No matter which way the refs made that call last night; it should have been left to their judgement. No video will show what kind of lean or pressure Dumoulin applied to Kakko. So a video official determining he could have done more to avoid contact is guessing at best.

Agree its not a conspiracy, but as a fan, one sometimes feels that way.

Agree. But, the refs in this case, made what they felt was the right call. And some guy in Toronto, with no real feel for how that particular game is progressing changed the call.

No matter which way the refs made that call last night; it should have been left to their judgement. No video will show what kind of lean or pressure Dumoulin applied to Kakko. So a video official determining he could have done more to avoid contact is guessing at best.

Agree its not a conspiracy, but as a fan, one sometimes feels that way.
The referees give their input during the phone call too, so we don't really know if they changed their mind upon watching the video or if they wanted to stick with the original call and were overruled. I agree with you though that the refs should be able to make the calls after the review. It would streamline the review process, but I guess they are concerned that if they did that, they would be biased towards confirming their original call or could be influenced by what the home crowd's reaction would be. Seems to work fine in NCAA hockey though.

The Penguins have gotten favorable officiating for years. It's no secret and it's known across the league. Is it a conspiracy? No. Is it officials falling prey to give a (notoriously whiny) star player every benefit of the doubt? Yes.

Thats general statement and not related to terrible goal call.

Reactions: mdh2003
If it was that clear, I wonder what the on ice confusion was?

And Bettman is a Sindey fan.

if it wasn’t clear…why was it overturned? Cause to overturn something has to be clear.

I guess cause Bettman is a Crosby fan…lol.

League surely has to be neutral..but League is 50000% rooting for a Ranger trip to finals

if it wasn’t clear…why was it overturned? Cause to overturn something has to be clear.

I guess cause Bettman is a Crosby fan…lol.

League surely has to be neutral..but League is 50000% rooting for a Ranger trip to finals
The video ref had money on the Pens. Happens all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: robcac26
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT