ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NHL Playoff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t think that one was a hold.

Agree about the hold. Third penalty was, in my opinion, a smart one to take. Beaten to the puck; you have to eliminate the scoring chance.
Of course, better if you kill the penalty.

Agree about the hold. Third penalty was, in my opinion, a smart one to take. Beaten to the puck; you have to eliminate the scoring chance.
Of course, better if you kill the penalty.
Adam Fox in the post game press conference is on our side with that one too.

I didn’t think that one was a hold.
I thought the penalty that led to the second TB goal was weak, but the consistency in all three penalties was that Trouba lost position, so the refs are going to be looking at any disruption in the offensive player’s skating as being caused by something illegal.

I thought the penalty that led to the second TB goal was weak, but the consistency in all three penalties was that Trouba lost position, so the refs are going to be looking at any disruption in the offensive player’s skating as being caused by something illegal.
It just looked so ticky tack to me.

We’re the last team to complain about penalties. Think game 7 vs penguins in overtime. That was tricky tacky for an overtime in game 7.
Bottom line is we had a 4 minute power play late in 3rd period and muffed it. That was the game !

With everything else happening that wasn’t being called, absolutely. It is just that Trouba got himself in a position where it could be called based on an assumption.

Sucks to lose, but overall a solid game once again. Can't beat TB all the time. Now 5-1 against them this season.

Turning point of the game; about 25 seconds before Tampa's third goal, the announcer says:
The Rangers haven't lost to Tampa all year.

STFU. Game over. Hate that crap.

Just . . . .SHHHHH!!!!

Reactions: TM94goRU
Game 4 in the Avs/Oilers series is insane tonight. Oilers, down 0-3 in the series, had a 4-2 lead midway through the 3rd. Avs just flip a switch and score 3 consecutive goals. Oilers tie it up late in the 3rd. OT coming. Something tells me this one will be decided in the first 5 minutes of OT.

Edited to add: defenses and goaltending in this series absolutely suck. Mike Smith is flat out terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: robcac26
Smith is absolutely terrible. On flip side, Makar may be the second best player in the world. And if he's not, he will be.

Kowharski just said “holy shit that’s close “
😂😂😂😂🚨🚨🚨🚨
When asked how he sees it from a refs point of view

Reactions: RU848789
Kowharski just said “holy shit that’s close “
😂😂😂😂🚨🚨🚨🚨
When asked how he sees it from a refs point of view
I just saw that, hilarious hearing him try to backtrack, "holy shucks" hahaha. Tough judgment call though. It looks like the puck is above his shoulder, but the rule is that it's a high stick if the puck is played "above the normal height of the shoulders," and since Lehkonen is leaning forward, his shoulders are lower than usual. However, it's pretty hard to guess where the normal height of shoulders is exactly, and then for this puck to be probably within a couple inches on either side of wherever you draw this imaginary line, this call is a total coin flip even on the replay, no way anyone can be totally certain seeing it happen in real time. The best thing to do is probably to just let it play out to ensure you don't rob them of what might be a fair scoring chance, and then review it if a goal happens. Seems like that's what they did and they probably determined it to be inconclusive.

I had to watch the SportsNet broadcast, and those knuckleheads had the rule all wrong until someone finally corrected them after the handshake. They kept trying to determine if the puck was above the crossbar, which of course is only relevant if the puck is deflected into the net.

Smith is absolutely terrible. On flip side, Makar may be the second best player in the world. And if he's not, he will be.
Is Smith a good GT? Definitely not. However this Av's team is a machine. I recall the 1st half of last December where they averaged 7 goals a game (including against the Rangers). I can't see how they don't win the cup (even with their shaky GT).

Makar is just incredible. That line when he plays with MacKinnon, Landeskog, Toews is hard to beat.

Game 4 in the Avs/Oilers series is insane tonight. Oilers, down 0-3 in the series, had a 4-2 lead midway through the 3rd. Avs just flip a switch and score 3 consecutive goals. Oilers tie it up late in the 3rd. OT coming. Something tells me this one will be decided in the first 5 minutes of OT.

Edited to add: defenses and goaltending in this series absolutely suck. Mike Smith is flat out terrible.
Gretzky said something similar the other night.

Is Smith a good GT? Definitely not. However this Av's team is a machine. I recall the 1st half of last December where they averaged 7 goals a game (including against the Rangers). I can't see how they don't win the cup (even with their shaky GT).

Makar is just incredible. That line when he plays with MacKinnon, Landeskog, Toews is hard to beat.
I know the Avs are very good, but look at the goals they scored this series. Smith had AT LEAST 1-2 bad goals each night and also had multiple terrible turnovers each game (he's the most overrated puck handling goalie of all time).

This would've been a competitive series with literally any of the other playoff teams' starting goalies (e.g., the other 15).

I know the Avs are very good, but look at the goals they scored this series. Smith had AT LEAST 1-2 bad goals each night and also had multiple terrible turnovers each game (he's the most overrated puck handling goalie of all time).

This would've been a competitive series with literally any of the other playoff teams' starting goalies (e.g., the other 15).
That was also mentioned too. Sounded like they were trying to be nice without too much of a “come on, man!”

The difference between Smith and Vassy/Shesty is like the difference between playing football against Alabama or UConn.

The loss of Kadri will have a huge impact when they play NY or TB as well.

I agree the GT has been bad. I had Koskinen (and Kuemper) as my fantasy team goalies this year and neither were great. I haven't paid attention to why he hasn't been playing but his GOA was higher anyway. I got a lot of wins though. Calgary series was no better. I write it off as more offense in the Western conference. Even Shesterkin looked bad against Pittsburgh for a few games. Overall I just think the Av's are better than everyone else. I hope the Rangers get to face them in the finals regardless.

The difference between Smith and Vassy/Shesty is like the difference between playing football against Alabama or UConn.

The loss of Kadri will have a huge impact when they play NY or TB as well.
Agree Kadri is a big loss. That line is dominating. However, I think they will be more than fine without him. I just hope the Rangers (if they win) can score enough because I still think it will be a high scoring series (whether against even Vassy or Shesty).

I agree the GT has been bad. I had Koskinen (and Kuemper) as my fantasy team goalies this year and neither were great. I haven't paid attention to why he hasn't been playing but his GOA was higher anyway. I got a lot of wins though. Calgary series was no better. I write it off as more offense in the Western conference. Even Shesterkin looked bad against Pittsburgh for a few games. Overall I just think the Av's are better than everyone else. I hope the Rangers get to face them in the finals regardless.
There are rumors that Koskinen is playing in Switzerland next season, so I wonder if that's why Woodcroft stuck with Smith the whole time. Smith also put up good numbers the last couple months of the season, but he did look pretty bad in the playoffs. Not sure if you were wondering why Kuemper hasn't been playing either, but he took himself out of Game 1 after taking a few pucks to the head. He also suffered an eye injury in the second round, so that could have something to do with it too.

There are rumors that Koskinen is playing in Switzerland next season, so I wonder if that's why Woodcroft stuck with Smith the whole time. Smith also put up good numbers the last couple months of the season, but he did look pretty bad in the playoffs. Not sure if you were wondering why Kuemper hasn't been playing either, but he took himself out of Game 1 after taking a few pucks to the head. He also suffered an eye injury in the second round, so that could have something to do with it too.
They said on last nights game that Kuemper could have relieved Francouz if needed. At one point it seemed like he was coming in when Francouz seemed hurt. Both scare me in goal as well.

In full disclose the Av’s have been my western conference rooting interest since I used to go to Denver monthly on business since the 90’s when they moved there. Prior to them I rooted for the Oilers since Messier was my favorite player growing up. Was so happy when he came to the Rangers. I could love either way from a western conference perspective. Need the Rangers to win this series though.

They said on last nights game that Kuemper could have relieved Francouz if needed. At one point it seemed like he was coming in when Francouz seemed hurt. Both scare me in goal as well.

In full disclose the Av’s have been my western conference rooting interest since I used to go to Denver monthly on business since the 90’s when they moved there. Prior to them I rooted for the Oilers since Messier was my favorite player growing up. Was so happy when he came to the Rangers. I could love either way from a western conference perspective. Need the Rangers to win this series though.
Yeah Kuemper returned to the lineup but just as a backup last night, so I guess he could have played if they needed him to but they probably just stuck with the guy that got them up 3-0 in the series.

Just a hockey side note… I would hate to see it happen as a Ranger fan, but whoever is running the Devils should have already talked to Bruce Cassidy and offered him whatever he wants to take the HC job.

I like Trotz, but his system kind of stifles offensive creativity while Cassidy’s Bruins played good defense while allowing a skilled top line to score a ton. It isn’t Cassidy’s fault that the Bruins inexplicably keep the bad GM (who made awful trades, drafted badly and couldn’t build a middle six to put them over the top) and blame the coach instead.

Another great post up above! The Devils owner's sold a minority stake in the Devils and Sixers today. If they care about their investment at all go hard after Cassidy, keep the 2nd overall pick for Slafkowsky, and trade a young defenseman and/or draft picks for Kevin Fiala.

Mike Smith may have been as bad as a goalie that I have ever seen. Flopping all over like an amateur. If I’m Edmonton, I go all out for Giorgiev.

Not a good first period for the Rangers. Only down 1-0, but Tampa dominating the play. So much forechecking and offensive zone time for the Bolts. Rangers only had maybe 1-2 shifts that were mildly threatening.

The kid line is keeping up all sorts of pressure in the offensive zone, so of course Gallant is playing them much less than the Panarin line (which is completely ineffective all series) and barely more than the fourth.

Better offensive zone possession in the second period, but I can’t think of one grade A scoring chance. Tampa minimal pressure but springs Kucherov for a breakaway goal. 2-0 Tampa. Don’t think anything is getting past Vassy tonight. Rangers are poor 5v5 on the road.

Better offensive zone possession in the second period, but I can’t think of one grade A scoring chance. Tampa minimal pressure but springs Kucherov for a breakaway goal. 2-0 Tampa. Don’t think anything is getting past Vassy tonight. Rangers are poor 5v5 on the road.
I hate to belabor the point, but the three skaters on the kid line had the best 5v5 numbers for this series out of all forwards going into this game, and have been generating pressure tonight, and have gotten a little over 7 minutes TOI after two periods.

I hate to belabor the point, but the three skaters on the kid line had the best 5v5 numbers for this series out of all forwards going into this game, and have been generating pressure tonight, and have gotten a little over 7 minutes TOI after two periods.
100% correct. And now Chytil is out.

A hundred games in,and we still seem to refuse to look for the back door wing looking for a loose puck. Huge systemic problem.

Ever since the first Tampa Bay power play goal in game 3, it seems Tampa regained their mojo and the Rangers seem tired. Hopefully the team rebounds in game 5, but I don't like what I see right now.

Ever since the first Tampa Bay power play goal in game 3, it seems Tampa regained their mojo and the Rangers seem tired. Hopefully the team rebounds in game 5, but I don't like what I see right now.
Unfortunately, waiting for the players he counts on too much to rebound instead of adjusting based on what is working seems to be Gallant’s strategy, and that is what is going to sink the Rangers (and was probably why other GMs “inexplicably” fired him).

-Rooney has been bad for much of the second half of this year, so leaving Motte on the fourth line to play with him and the worthless Reaves (what exactly does he “deter”?) wastes Motte’s speed. Motte should have been moved to RW with Copp and Panarin and then the fourth would just be a grinding line with Rooney/Goodrow/Reaves(though Reaves shouldn’t even be dressed).

-He is overplaying the first line given their ineffectiveness at 5v5, and probably wearing out Mika and CK because they play on both specials as well.

-Panarin (something is going on with him, maybe an injury) has been a turnover machine at 5v5, and given his extensive PP in most games that line should be deployed less at 5v5 as well.

-Given that the Ranger’s defense is getting trapped in their own zone and wearing down, it is ridiculous that he is giving the kid line limited ice time like they are a defensive liability when they often show “the best defense is a good offense” by keeping up a lot of offensive zone time.

Well the games in Tampa went the way I expected. If nothing changes the trajectory of the series again, the tale of it will be the NYR had enough to scare Tampa Bay into picking up their physicality!

This series changed when the Bolts started to "bump", Shesterkin and other Rangers. This is not the first time Tampa beat a team up to win. Right there in Game 3, NYR up 2-0 in both regards, the Bolts started hitting, some legal some iffy shots as well.

Well the games in Tampa went the way I expected. If nothing changes the trajectory of the series again, the tale of it will be the NYR had enough to scare Tampa Bay into picking up their physicality!

This series changed when the Bolts started to "bump", Shesterkin and other Rangers. This is not the first time Tampa beat a team up to win. Right there in Game 3, NYR up 2-0 in both regards, the Bolts started hitting, some legal some iffy shots as well.
Good thing one of the worst players in the league Reaves is playing to keep things like Shesty getting run from happening.

Rangers may simply be exhausted / fatigued. They have not had extended time off since the playoffs began and it’s tough to play every game at high intensity as the Rangers have had to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT