ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NHL Playoff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rough and tumble game tonight - defensive struggle with lots of good hitting. Next goal likely wins. Fortunately for the Rangers, TB hit a crossbar and a post in the first period.

Leaving game. Tough ending but sort of expected. Vibe at MSG was not good throughout entire game. Rangers are fatigued as the prior two 7 game series and no rest has taken its toll

There is still hope, but the Rangers look gassed. Shooting angles bad, passing & timing off. Was a good run. Hopefully a miracle will happen (since the Rangers never make anything easy), but Avs-Lightning will be a great series. Let's hope for another game 7, but if not, the Avs offense against Vassy will be a good watch.

I am not one who believes the refs have an agenda, but the incompetence and complete inability to have any kind of consistency gets very frustrating.

TB tied up game 3 on a PP after Trouba reached out his arms like he was going to hold a TB player behind the net, but never actually grabbed the guy.

Kakko is skating behind the net and gets grabbed into a headlock, right in front of the ref, nothing called.

Goodrow getting picked by Nick Paul so he couldn’t get in front of Sergachev’s shot that went in should have been an obvious interference call as well.

Reactions: RU Cheese and Mod9a
On most of the sports morning shows. Lightning Fan sucker punched. Bad look for Ranger fans based on the comments in the media including WFAN. I'm guessing the guy was crowing about the Tampa win and probably deserved something but not a sucker punch. Be a man, then whoop his ass.

Last edited:
On most of the sports morning shows. Lightning Fan sucker punched. Bad look for Ranger fans based on the comments in the media including WFAN. I'm guessing the guy was crowing about the Tampa win and probably deserved something but not a sucker punch. Be a man, then whoop his ass.
I saw that on a Rangers message board I frequent. I was happy to see there that the disgust over the sucker punch and desire to see the idiot caught seemed unanimous.

I imagine that I should avoid the Rangers board on Reddit, which based on its usual tone would probably have a significant percentage of the posters joking about the punch.

I saw that on a Rangers message board I frequent. I was happy to see there that the disgust over the sucker punch and desire to see the idiot caught seemed unanimous.

I imagine that I should avoid the Rangers board on Reddit, which based on its usual tone would probably have a significant percentage of the posters joking about the punch.
I dislike the Rangers as much as the next guy, but every fanbase has their share of imbeciles and the people stopping to help the guy were also Ranger fans...so this isn't a Ranger fan thing as much as one guy being an idiot.

I dislike the Rangers as much as the next guy, but every fanbase has their share of imbeciles and the people stopping to help the guy were also Ranger fans...so this isn't a Ranger fan thing as much as one guy being an idiot.
People like this are horrible and I hope he gets arrested and justice is served. We see way too much of this behavior.

On the flip side, I also saw a few NYR fans immediately come to the victim’s aid. There are still some good people out there. We should all try to be better.

Reactions: Section124
People like this are horrible and I hope he gets arrested and justice is served. We see way too much of this behavior.

On the flip side, I also saw a few NYR fans immediately come to the victim’s aid. There are still some good people out there. We should all try to be better.
People don't know how dangerous that can be. Too many end up dead. Happened in Philadelphia recently. Bouncer at a club was tired of listening to a drunk who got kicked out. Guy never saw it coming and died later from his head hitting the ground.

In 50 years of watching hockey, I have never seen a player miss more open net chances than Strome.
And in 20+ years reading this board, I've never seen a more accurate, spot-on post.

Desperately hoping that he's wearing another uniform next year.

And in 20+ years reading this board, I've never seen a more accurate, spot-on post.

Desperately hoping that he's wearing another uniform next year.

Unless he takes a very large discount, there is no reasonable situation where he should be wearing a Rangers' jersey next year.

I may have to skip tonight’s just to keep my blood pressure from spiking to 300/200.

The rumor going around is that Kakko will be a healthy scratch tonight. He isn’t putting up many points, but other numbers show him as one of the top 3 forwards in the team at 5v5 in creating scoring for and limiting scoring chances against while he is on the ice.

If Gallant benches him for either guy that is one the bottom three guys in the team at the same numbers (Hunt or Reaves). I am f**king done with Gallant..

I may have to skip tonight’s just to keep my blood pressure from spiking to 300/200.

The rumor going around is that Kakko will be a healthy scratch tonight. He isn’t putting up many points, but other numbers show him as one of the top 3 forwards in the team at 5v5 in creating scoring for and limiting scoring chances against while he is on the ice.

If Gallant benches him for either guy that is one the bottom three guys in the team at the same numbers (Hunt or Reaves). I am f**king done with Gallant..

I like Gallant, most of the time. This would border on stupidity though.

I realize possession on the wall might not result in points, but neither do the guys you mention, AND they don't hold possession of the puck. So, where is the "upgrade?"

I like Gallant, most of the time. This would border on stupidity though.

I realize possession on the wall might not result in points, but neither do the guys you mention, AND they don't hold possession of the puck. So, where is the "upgrade?"
Especially when even many of the Ranger stars are struggling at 5v5 and that is where Kakko is doing all of his work.

Up until last game, the kid line was doing a great job of keeping offensive zone time (better than the top two lines) and Gallant was still giving them about 11 minutes a game (way less than the top six and only as much as the 4th line).

Hockey is such a game of inches. In that last game, Tampa Bay hit a crossbar and a post, early, and the Rangers got a lead. And then after TB tied it up, late in the game, Strome whiffed on an open net. Game could have easily gone either way as it was a hard-hitting, hard fought game with both teams playing pretty well, especially defensively. Rangers need to bring that kind of energy again, tonight to force a game 7.

Rangers just look lethargic - no excuse for that. TB has had a bunch of good scoring chances (aided by some bad defense by the Rangers) and will convert sooner or later.

Having trouble clearing the puck. And look a step slow. Need some puck luck early in the 2nd to give the team some juice

Rangers just look lethargic - no excuse for that. TB has had a bunch of good scoring chances (aided by some bad defense by the Rangers) and will convert sooner or later.
The only line that has consistently shown energy is the kid line, and moron Gallant broke them up.

Even on other lines, Lafreniere and Chytil have been noticeably active.

Gallant also inexplicably put Strome in the lineup when he evidently couldn’t even make it through the warmup skate.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Unless there is an injury to Kakko, Gallant looks like an overhyped jackass! It seems like a move just to make a move. In the process you take away your best line. This is the type of decision that could have further implications down the line for coach and/or young player.

The only line that has consistently shown energy is the kid line, and moron Gallant broke them up.

Even on other lines, Lafreniere and Chytil have been noticeably active.

Gallant also inexplicably put Strome in the lineup when he evidently couldn’t even make it through the warmup skate.
That should have little to do with it - the lack of intensity is across the board. Only thing keeping the Rangers in this game is Shesterkin.

I feel bad for Shesterkin because he, unlike the rest of the team except maybe Lindgren, is battling like hell.

Does the “A” that some of the Rangers wear on their sweater stand for ABSENT?

Reactions: TM94goRU
Second goal in the playoffs where a goal was scored after player makes contact with goalies' glove standing in the paint.

Outplayed from the minute we let them off the mat in Game 3.

Great season; lost to a better team.

Reactions: scfa99
Game would've been 6-1 without Shesterkin's acrobatics. I know TB is a great team, but what happened to that Ranger team that was so fast and was passing so well? And I don't know if I've ever seen so many giveaways and failures to cover a man as tonight - TB must've had 8 or 9 2 on 1s.

I feel bad for Shesterkin because he, unlike the rest of the team except maybe Lindgren, is battling like hell.

Does the “A” that some of the Rangers wear on their sweater stand for ABSENT?
Agree. I thought best forward was Lafraniere. Did Kreider even play?

And was the name "Hunt" even mentioned on the broadcast? Gallant is an idiot.

Reactions: scfa99
No Canadian teams again in the SC…boy no bet that sticks in their craw…

Reactions: goru1869
Rangers need a front line center. Look for a Giorgiev for center deal in offseason. Rangers can’t score at even strength .

Reactions: tico brown
Rangers need a front line center. Look for a Giorgiev for center deal in offseason. Rangers can’t score at even strength .
The 5 v 5 boogey man that everyone was talking about finally caught up with the Rangera this series.

Outplayed from the minute we let them off the mat in Game 3.

Great season; lost to a better team.
Tampa showed why they are champions with the way they pulled things together, but they shouldn’t have had the chance to do so.

As the Rangers started showing signs of fatigue in games 3-5, and were getting hemmed in their defensive zone for long periods of time, Gallant played the line most effective at keeping the puck in the offensive zone for only 11 minutes a game, and bet everything on veterans who didn’t perform.

My feeling on this playoff run went from “this is going to be great experience for the young players” to “what a missed opportunity, thanks to horrible coaching”.

For all of the great signs we saw from players 22 and under, there were just as many new questions raised about veterans the Rangers gave big contracts and NMCs to.

Tampa showed why they are champions with the way they pulled things together, but they shouldn’t have had the chance to do so.

As the Rangers started showing signs of fatigue in games 3-5, and were getting hemmed in their defensive zone for long periods of time, Gallant played the line most effective at keeping the puck in the offensive zone for only 11 minutes a game, and bet everything on veterans who didn’t perform.

My feeling on this playoff run went from “this is going to be great experience for the young players” to “what a missed opportunity, thanks to horrible coaching”.

For all of the great signs we saw from players 22 and under, there were just as many new questions raised about veterans the Rangers gave big contracts and NMCs to.

Not a fan of NMC clauses; particularly outside of 3-4 years. I get players wanting stability, it makes sense, but the team gets no assurance that the player they signed won't turn into the player they're stuck with.

Not a fan of NMC clauses; particularly outside of 3-4 years. I get players wanting stability, it makes sense, but the team gets no assurance that the player they signed won't turn into the player they're stuck with.
It’s pretty common around the league that players of a certain level and above get some trade protection when signing a deal, but the Rangers give out full NMCs way too easily, and even Nemeth got a modified NTC from them.

Meanwhile, Tampa only has Vassy, Kucherov and Stamkos under full NMCs. They managed to sign McDonough and Hedman with some form of NTCs and according to Capfriendly the Point deal has no trade protection at all. There’s no way those three wouldn’t have gotten NMCs from the Rangers.

Reactions: miker183
It’s pretty common around the league that players of a certain level and above get some trade protection when signing a deal, but the Rangers give out full NMCs way too easily, and even Nemeth got a modified NTC from them.

Meanwhile, Tampa only has Vassy, Kucherov and Stamkos under full NMCs. They managed to sign McDonough and Hedman with some form of NTCs and according to Capfriendly the Point deal has no trade protection at all. There’s no way those three wouldn’t have gotten NMCs from the Rangers.

Completely agree. You give out NMCs to a select few. Too many, and you get no roster flexibility in a very restrictive salary cap.

Game would've been 6-1 without Shesterkin's acrobatics. I know TB is a great team, but what happened to that Ranger team that was so fast and was passing so well? And I don't know if I've ever seen so many giveaways and failures to cover a man as tonight - TB must've had 8 or 9 2 on 1s.
The Rangers prowess is predicated on the east west pass. Tampa has the horses and game plan to stop that dead. That’s why the Rangers couldn’t do anything 5 v 5. If you noticed throughout the games, Tampa had a ton of odd man rushes off turnovers, on you guessed it, misguided east west passing.

Reactions: tico brown
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT