ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NHL Playoff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure OTHMANN is either NHL or CHL bound next year. I think CUYLLE is AHL eligible.

You are correct. I don't know why a 19 year old wouldn't be eligible for the AHL, but I looked it up, and he isn't.

Somewhat problematic, because I don't think returning to the OHL helps, and I don't think him playing 8-9 minutes/ game helps.

Reactions: zappaa
He's an excellent PP QB
The Flyers had the 32nd ranked PP last year (I had to look that up because I was barely paying attention). I believe it was pretty much QB’d all year by “nothing but wrist-shots” Provorov and “nothing but passes” Yandle (who managed to put up a minus 47 season)…which is actually tough to do.
Flyers need to hope their top pick Gauthier can contribute soon, at least as a good skating power/reachy winger. I think eventually he gets moved to center in a few years. He does have a decent snipe which might keep him on the wing but in the top 6 and not as third line center. Seems like Couturier and Hayes are locked in as the top two centers for some time based on their contracts.

Last edited:
You are correct. I don't know why a 19 year old wouldn't be eligible for the AHL, but I looked it up, and he isn't.

Somewhat problematic, because I don't think returning to the OHL helps, and I don't think him playing 8-9 minutes/ game helps.
It's a rule that must have resulted from negotiations with the CHL. The CHL teams of course don't want to be constantly losing their star players, so I guess the compromise was that the only way one of their players can go pro is if they're good enough to go straight to the NHL. Otherwise, they play out the rest of their junior career until they either age out or make their NHL team the next year. Another factor is that without this rule, the CHL would feature significantly less talent because you don't need to be property of an NHL team to play in the AHL, so an AHL team can offer you a salary while CHL players only get weekly stipends of $50-150 a week.

I brought this up a few times when people on here were suggesting Lafreniere didn't belong in the NHL. He wasn't eligible for the AHL and continuing to cakewalk through the Q would do nothing for his development. The NHL was the right place for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdh2003
It's a rule that must have resulted from negotiations with the CHL. The CHL teams of course don't want to be constantly losing their star players, so I guess the compromise was that the only way one of their players can go pro is if they're good enough to go straight to the NHL. Otherwise, they play out the rest of their junior career until they either age out or make their NHL team the next year. Another factor is that without this rule, the CHL would feature significantly less talent because you don't need to be property of an NHL team to play in the AHL, so an AHL team can offer you a salary while CHL players only get weekly stipends of $50-150 a week.

I brought this up a few times when people on here were suggesting Lafreniere didn't belong in the NHL. He wasn't eligible for the AHL and continuing to cakewalk through the Q would do nothing for his development. The NHL was the right place for him.
Reminds me of how Ray Borque’s son managed to make in the 300-400k range a few years ago by signing an AHL deal with the Hershey Bears (he was on the 2018 US Olympic team). He had long aged out of all the restrictions on young players.

Devils should have drafted Shane Wright with the 2 pick. So what they ll have too many centers. Get wingers to support the centers or if Nico doesn’t make it to next level - he can always be traded. I’m not a huge Nico fan. I don’t see the flashes with him as I see with Hughes.

TD grew up a Flyers fan in south Jersey… It’s the same reason Johnny Hockey’s name comes up in trade rumors involving the Flyers.
Funny that UFA signings begin July 13 and Johnny Hockey is a UFA so the deadline for buyouts is July 12. Interesting scenario that I’ve seen is a buyout of Lindblom and a trade of Van Reimsdyk with Flyers retaining some of his salary. Would be quite a coup to find enough cap space for Gaudreau after he just put up 115 points.

Reminds me of how Ray Borque’s son managed to make in the 300-400k range a few years ago by signing an AHL deal with the Hershey Bears (he was on the 2018 US Olympic team). He had long aged out of all the restrictions on young players.
Yeah signing directly with an AHL team is pretty common, I'd guess probably about half of the league's players are contracted directly to their team and aren't property of an NHL team. Bourque's situation was a little unusual though. He was on a two-way contract with the Capitals in which he made something like $350k while playing in the AHL, which is pretty standard. However, when that contract expired the Capitals didn't want to re-sign him, but the Bears wanted to keep him and he agreed to a deal with them directly. I'm not sure how much he was making on that AHL contract, but I'd be surprised to find out if it was still over $300k. I think the average AHL salary is something like $50k. I'm sure he made more than that, but $300k is a massive salary for an AHL team to pay out.

Yeah signing directly with an AHL team is pretty common, I'd guess probably about half of the league's players are contracted directly to their team and aren't property of an NHL team. Bourque's situation was a little unusual though. He was on a two-way contract with the Capitals in which he made something like $350k while playing in the AHL, which is pretty standard. However, when that contract expired the Capitals didn't want to re-sign him, but the Bears wanted to keep him and he agreed to a deal with them directly. I'm not sure how much he was making on that AHL contract, but I'd be surprised to find out if it was still over $300k. I think the average AHL salary is something like $50k. I'm sure he made more than that, but $300k is a massive salary for an AHL team to pay out.
Yeah I wish Jagr would come back and play in the AHL. Watching a 50 ish year old abusing 180 lb kid defensemen near the net would probably make ‘The Best Thing I Saw Today’ on the regular…
As for Bourque, I know Hershey draws well so a little extra salary was probably not a burden and maybe he had a whole fan club thing going on there…

Funny that UFA signings begin July 13 and Johnny Hockey is a UFA so the deadline for buyouts is July 12. Interesting scenario that I’ve seen is a buyout of Lindblom and a trade of Van Reimsdyk with Flyers retaining some of his salary. Would be quite a coup to find enough cap space for Gaudreau after he just put up 115 points.
Flyers have bought out Lindblom just now. JVR is the key to a deal that could bring Johnny Hockey home.

I believe Othmann played his predraft year in Switzerland, so if he doesn’t make the Rangers I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rangers work out a deal for him to land there with the ability to get him back later in the season if necessary.

I believe Othmann played his predraft year in Switzerland, so if he doesn’t make the Rangers I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rangers work out a deal for him to land there with the ability to get him back later in the season if necessary.
Don’t like a kid Othmann’s age playing on the big ice Krup.
The NHL game is now all about time and space and you’ve got to much of it on those big ice sheets in Europe.
The Rangers need to up their gap play and stop allowing speed out of their own end big time

Don’t like a kid Othmann’s age playing on the big ice Krup.
The NHL game is now all about time and space and you’ve got to much of it on those big ice sheets in Europe.
The Rangers need to up their gap play and stop allowing speed out of their own end big time
I’d rather he play in the AHL or not play on the Olympic size rink, but I don’t think the OHL challenges him enough to actually develop much next year.

I don’t want Kadri….
Much prefer Kane if doable
There’s a lot of lower price guys out there. I would rather they go after some solid players that could play on the 3rd line.

Getting Kane or Kadri just repeats the cycle that most of the kid line players get blocked from the top 6 and get no PP1 time and limited TOI overall.

Goodrow is goin to Philadelphia say the rumor mills
They need to make cap space for him somehow. I’ve heard they’ve shopped JVR, Provorov and Konecny…all big cap hit contracts but JVR only has one year left on his. UFA signings can happen starting tomorrow and I’ve heard Calgary has already made a nice offer (8 yrs-80 million-ish to keep Johnny. I do think he would feel energized playing for his favorite team when he was a kid. Plus, he’s good friends with Hayes…but bad contracts may spoil things.

Last edited:
Islanders or Devils. As of right now the Flyers don’t want to pay the price it would take to get someone to eat the JVR contract, so they don’t have near the cap space for Gaudreau.
Well maybe the Flyers will sign Phil Kessel instead…lol. Kessel made $1 million per goal last year…in 82 games…

They need to make cap space for him somehow. I’ve heard they’ve shopped JVR, Provorov and Konecny…all big cap hit contracts but JVR only has one year left on his. UFA signings can happen starting tomorrow and I’ve heard Calgary has already made a nice offer (8 yrs-80 million-ish to keep Johnny. I do think he would feel energized playing for his favorite team when he was a kid. Plus, he’s good friends with Hayes…but bad contracts may spoil things.
Philly has so many bad contracts they are basically stuck being terrible for 2-3 years. Gaudreau won’t be there barring a huge turn of events tonight.

Janne Kokkenen was bought out by the Devils. There is chatter Pavel Zacha will be traded. Bleacher Report has Johnny Hockey signing with the NJD.

bag of pucks for Zacka
More than that, but LMAO! I think if it does happen, it will be part of a bigger deal, not a one for one. Zacha is an RFA and needs a new contract. Given his lack of consistency, Fitz rightfully does not want him to eat the cap space and take a roster spot.

@RUDiddy777 Can the Devils sign John Gaudreau ?

Wish I could help you, but I just have tickets for my son. I don’t really follow NHL closely much anymore. Really never regained it after the strikes and lockouts kept killing any momentum. Will be fun when the Devils are good. My favorite was 94 when the Devils/Rangers we’re at each other’s throats. A good devils team is great for the businesses down there.

Wish I could help you, but I just have tickets for my son. I don’t really follow NHL closely much anymore. Really never regained it after the strikes and lockouts kept killing any momentum. Will be fun when the Devils are good. My favorite was 94 when the Devils/Rangers we’re at each other’s throats. A good devils team is great for the businesses down there.

That street between the 4 bars and the box office really comes alive pregame when the games mean something

As of this moment, all signs point to Gaudreau signing with the Devils.
Wow,
Johnny Hockey in NJ!
We would have two guys right next to us who you can’t take the puck from…him and Barzal.
With all due respect, Bread doesn’t have their handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT