ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NJ HS Football Playoffs Thread…

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Since the playoffs start this week for the Public Schools tonight, let’s see if we can get a playoff thread started here talking about future Rutgers players and opponents. Should get interesting when the Non Publics start next week.

Been to a different Shore Conference game with my son's every Friday night and some Saturdays when Rutgers is on the road. Tonight I think it'll be 5-3 Middle Twp @ 6-2 Raritan. I always love this time of year comparing records and no common opponents. Most of the matchups seem to be lopsided. Not sure how other conferences have done but The Shore Conference sent 21 out of 42 schools into the platoffs.

Reactions: gmay8
Been to a different Shore Conference game with my son's every Friday night and some Saturdays when Rutgers is on the road. Tonight I think it'll be 5-3 Middle Twp @ 6-2 Raritan. I always love this time of year comparing records and no common opponents. Most of the matchups seem to be lopsided. Not sure how other conferences have done but The Shore Conference sent 21 out of 42 schools into the platoffs.
I think you’re talking about the playoffs in your area (if I’m wrong, apologies). But there’s 182 teams in the state playoffs:

22 from Non Public:
14 from Non Public Group A
8 from NP Group B

160 from Public:
5 Public Groups (Group 1,2,3,4,5)
4 Public Sections (North Jersey 1, North Jersey 2, Central, South)
8 teams in each Bracket (South Group 1, North Jersey 1 Group 3, Central Group 5, etc)

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I think you’re talking about the playoffs in your area (if I’m wrong, apologies). But there’s 182 teams in the state playoffs:

22 from Non Public:
14 from Non Public Group A
8 from NP Group B

160 from Public:
5 Public Groups (Group 1,2,3,4,5)
4 Public Sections (North Jersey 1, North Jersey 2, Central, Sou
8 teams in each Bracket (South Group 1, North Jersey 1 Group 3, Central Group 5, etc)
I'm talking strictly the 42 Shore Conference teams across Monmouth and Ocean counties that range from groups 1-5 where 21 of them made the playoffs

Montclair forfeits due to ineligible player? Zap might have a few choice comments on that one.

I was at the Raritan 34 Middle Twp 13 game. How do you explain Raritan, exit 117 in the South Jersey Group 2 bracket and Atlantic City is in the Central Jersey group 5 bracket,lol Middle Twp was 2 hours south by Cape May. I realize they try to balance the group size schools but this is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I was at the Raritan 34 Middle Twp 13 game. How do you explain Raritan, exit 117 in the South Jersey Group 2 bracket and Atlantic City is in the Central Jersey group 5 bracket,lol Middle Twp was 2 hours south by Cape May. I realize they try to balance the group size schools but this is just plane stupid.
More strange map work in group 1…South Hunterdon = South Jersey. Woodstown = Central Jersey.

• Angry
More strange map work in group 1…South Hunterdon = South Jersey. Woodstown = Central Jersey.
At least Jersey City’s Lincoln and Hillside are no longer in South Jersey. And there was that year when Newark Shabazz played Willingboro for the basketball South Jersey final.

I believe this was earlier in the year between Vineland and Eastern. What would you have done if this ref did this to your team?

Not a good year for NJ football. Don Bosco, currently ranked #1, squeaked by sub .500 DePaul in their opening round game. Earlier this year they were crushed in Florida.Other Jersey parochial “ powerhouses’ went out of state and were beaten, except for BC which beat a team from Arizona. No real dominant team this year. Not sure there were any real dominant position players of the 5 star or high 4 star variety.

Last edited:
Not a good year for NJ football. Don Bosco, currently ranked #1, squeaked by sub .500 Paramus Catholic in their opening round game. Earlier this year they were crushed in Florida.Other Jersey parochial “ powerhouses’ went out of state and were beaten, except for BC which beat a team from Arizona. No real dominant team this year. Not sure there were any real dominant position players of the 5 star or high 4 star variety.
Playoffs for Parochials start next week.

Since the playoffs start this week for the Public Schools tonight, let’s see if we can get a playoff thread started here talking about future Rutgers players and opponents. Should get interesting when the Non-Publics start next week.
"Wear RED to the game!" 😎

So several weeks ago we went to see Ocean Twp HS play mainly to watch their QB a Temple signed recruit. I commented to a couple of fans why is he still in the game up 4 TD's in the 4th and still running the ball himself on several plays? Well it turns out at some point before last night's State game he was ruled out because of a separated shoulder, non throwing arm. Backup played and they got smoked by the 7th seed. I wonder if the head coach wishes he had some of those 4th quarters back to give game experience to the backup! Reading this link sounds to me that maybe Temple pressured this young man not to play or else. Just my gut feelings.https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...ngton-township-without-qb-douglas-in-sj3.html

I believe this was earlier in the year between Vineland and Eastern. What would you have done if this ref did this to your team?

I have been reading a lot about that. At first it seemed outrageous. but I think what happened was that the referee thought it was a clear first down, noticed that when the guy jerked the stick forward to "stretch" it to ten yards, the guy on the other end wasn't holding tight, and the sticks moved too far forward. So he took it into his own hands to make it a first down. From what I understand, yeah, that's not what the referee is supposed to do if he thinks the sticks were moved incorrectly.

• Haha
Reactions: tico brown
And then there's this, sickening. If it isn't perceived gangs and guns cancelling games or making them no spectators it's this type incident. I remember several years back in the Central jersey Group 2 Final, Raritan beat undefeated Lincoln HS Jersey City I believe. Parents of Lincoln had a huge brawl in the parking lot among themselves, blaming their own players and coaches. Absolutely crazy and scary. Police were called it was nuts. https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/o...cean-129970&group=0&test_id=2&article_click=1

And then there's this, sickening. If it isn't perceived gangs and guns cancelling games or making them no spectators it's this type incident. I remember several years back in the Central jersey Group 2 Final, Raritan beat undefeated Lincoln HS Jersey City I believe. Parents of Lincoln had a huge brawl in the parking lot among themselves, blaming their own players and coaches. Absolutely crazy and scary. Police were called it was nuts. https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/o...cean-129970&group=0&test_id=2&article_click=1
I saw something similar up close and personal when my older Son’s HS lacrosse team beat a much higher seeded team in their conference tournament.

Started with the opposing team being so shocked at losing (“how dare they beat US!”) they angrily jumped into the middle of the my Son’s team winning celebration. And then the parents started saying stuff.

We all knew to get out of dodge quick after that.

I saw something similar up close and personal when my older Son’s HS lacrosse team beat a much higher seeded team in their conference tournament.

Started with the opposing team being so shocked at losing (“how dare they beat US!”) they angrily jumped into the middle of the my Son’s team winning celebration. And then the parents started saying stuff.

We all knew to get out of dodge quick after that.
Yup, 100% you made the right choice. When parents and players get into a frenzy it's best to move on,as nothing good is going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT