ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Giants and Rutgers employ the same PR department?

What changed since yesterday?
It's literally been 2 days of bashing Mara for retaining Judge.
Just do it yesterday along with DG and save yourself the negative press.
Does it really matter? They did what needsed to be done. No one will remember the PR missteps next year.

Usually I don't feel bad for coaches fired but I do feel a bit sorry for Judge, he was just over his head big time.
He was making $5 million/year if I recall. That remaining $15 million will probably make him feel better.

Usually I don't feel bad for coaches fired but I do feel a bit sorry for Judge, he was just over his head big time.
Yeah, I feel some sadness over his firing. He was given a bad roster with little depth and then injuries accumulated. That being said, he wasn’t experienced enough to get out of his own way.

Hearing an interesting theory about why the delay in Judge being fired:
Perhaps they are hearing back-channel from agents/GM candidates that they aren't interested in the job if Judge is forced upon them for even 1 year.

This is very encouraging and signals maybe ownership will stop meddling.

If someone is willing to take the job and have their most important hire be forced upon them (similar to Judge having Garrett forced upon him) then it's a bad hire.

Reactions: Scangg
Hearing an interesting theory about why the delay in Judge being fired:
Perhaps they are hearing back-channel from agents/GM candidates that they aren't interested in the job if Judge is forced upon them for even 1 year.

This is very encouraging and signals maybe ownership will stop meddling.

If someone is willing to take the job and have their most important hire be forced upon them (similar to Judge having Garrett forced upon him) then it's a bad hire.

As with any big decision there are probably multiple reasons. For instance maybe financial considerations gave them pause. This is the 3rd HC in a row they've fired after 2 years. With all the severance owed this means essentially they've been paying double or for some years triple coaches salaries since 2017.

Its critical they get the GM decison right so maybe it took a few days to come to their senses.

I know many like to justify the offensive performance because of "historically bad OL" but I'll just put this out there as perspective.

Obviously the OL was awful.
But other teams have awful OLs as well and manage to at least be halfway competitive.
At some point, the skill positions at QB, RB and WR need to overcome the awful OL to at least score a couple TDs.

Hopefully better HC/OC will help next season since the players aren't really changing.

Note - have no idea who this guy is (writes for The Athletic?) but he uses ESPN/PFF stats. I'm just assuming his numbers are accurate.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Fun story:

My kids were at my cousin's house on Sunday. Her fiancé is also a Giants fan.
Sunday night had the Chiefs game on and my son goes:
"Know who won the game earlier? The Buccaneers. They beat the Eagles. The Eagles stink."
Told him: "That's right. The Buccaneers won and we don't like the Eagles".

And then he goes "and their fans are rude."
I said "Yup, that's correct as well. Eagles fans are rude."

Fun story:

My kids were at my cousin's house on Sunday. Her fiancé is also a Giants fan.
Sunday night had the Chiefs game on and my son goes:
"Know who won the game earlier? The Buccaneers. They beat the Eagles. The Eagles stink."
Told him: "That's right. The Buccaneers won and we don't like the Eagles".

And then he goes "and their fans are rude."
I said "Yup, that's correct as well. Eagles fans are rude."
There's nothing in the world that can replace good parenting.

Regarding Poles:

1. He was Director of College Scouting for the Chiefs from May 2016-Jun 2018
2017 draft they moved up from #27 to #10 to get Mahomes (two 1st and a 3rd) - even though Alex Smith just had a career year and led them to the playoffs.

Obviously don't know how much he was involved (I'm sure the actual GM and Andy Reid made final calls) but he was at least in the room for making that pick.

2. I've heard multiple reports that the KC front office was very cognizant of the elite QB contracts being handed out and started planning on how to work with Mahomes' massive cap numbers.
Basically as soon as they drafted him, they operated with an eye on when he would get a huge contract and kept it in mind when making any future moves/contracts.
Again, not sure how much he was involved in that planning but at least he was in the room.

Regarding both candidate: coming from teams that have had to deal with huge QB contracts is a massive plus. There is nothing else in football like dealing with these massive QB contracts and all the loopholes needed to stay competative.

Reactions: Scangg
Regarding Poles:

1. He was Director of College Scouting for the Chiefs from May 2016-Jun 2018
2017 draft they moved up from #27 to #10 to get Mahomes (two 1st and a 3rd) - even though Alex Smith just had a career year and led them to the playoffs.

Obviously don't know how much he was involved (I'm sure the actual GM and Andy Reid made final calls) but he was at least in the room for making that pick.

2. I've heard multiple reports that the KC front office was very cognizant of the elite QB contracts being handed out and started planning on how to work with Mahomes' massive cap numbers.
Basically as soon as they drafted him, they operated with an eye on when he would get a huge contract and kept it in mind when making any future moves/contracts.
Again, not sure how much he was involved in that planning but at least he was in the room.

Regarding both candidate: coming from teams that have had to deal with huge QB contracts is a massive plus. There is nothing else in football like dealing with these massive QB contracts and all the loopholes needed to stay competative.

And they would be moving to a team that has NOT been planning on how to work with massive cap numbers for a QB contract, and has a salary structure to prove it. Hope you don't mind bouncing on the bottom for a few years as they work through it. Either that or use another strategy.

2 of the best candidates. Get er done
A NFL team cannot hire a GM or HC without first interviewing a minority candidate in person. Poles interview on Wednesday may be a formality in order to offer Schoen the job.

Schoen also interviewed with the Bears.

And they would be moving to a team that has NOT been planning on how to work with massive cap numbers for a QB contract, and has a salary structure to prove it. Hope you don't mind bouncing on the bottom for a few years as they work through it. Either that or use another strategy.
Seattle having Russell Wilson on a 4rd Rd draft picks' salary for the first 4 years allowed them to build a roster that got to the Superbowl in his 4th year. Hard to manage a roster when your QB makes $30-50M. That's why hitting on starters in rounds 2-5 is sooo critical for sustained success.

Seattle having Russell Wilson on a 4rd Rd draft picks' salary for the first 4 years allowed them to build a roster that got to the Superbowl in his 4th year. Hard to manage a roster when your QB makes $30-50M. That's why hitting on starters in rounds 2-5 is sooo critical for sustained success.

3rd rd. And they got Bobby Wagner in the 2nd. Richard Sherman the year before and others. Incredible talent that all hit their 2nd contract around the same time, which is why the were never able to sustain their excellence.

Reactions: Morrischiano
A NFL team cannot hire a GM or HC without first interviewing a minority candidate in person. Poles interview on Wednesday may be a formality in order to offer Schoen the job.

Schoen also interviewed with the Bears.
Schoen has always seemed to be the frontrunner. If he gets it does he bring the Bills OC as HC is the next question

Just hire Jim Harbaugh and be done with it . Giants don’t need unproven coach or an unsuccessful retread. Dan Quinn’s blundering in the Super Bowl still doesn’t sit well with anyone that knows the game.
Don't follow the NFL anymore. Just came across that info and posted it as an FYI.

Reactions: Plum Street
Just to make fellow G fans a bit happy amidst the ocean of gloom:

NFC East success this century:
Giants: 3 NFC titles 2 SBs
Eagles: 2 NFC titles 1 SB
The other two: 0/0

Daboll now considered the favorite for the HC job.

New York Giants: The Giants are planning to hire Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen as their new GM and are working out a contract. Adam Schefter was the first to share. Ian Rapoport shares to expect Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and former Dolphins head coach Brian Flores to be on the list of candidates they interview.

New York Giants: The Giants are planning to hire Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen as their new GM and are working out a contract. Adam Schefter was the first to share. Ian Rapoport shares to expect Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and former Dolphins head coach Brian Flores to be on the list of candidates they interview.
Quinn and Flores were reached out to because they were both on every GM finalists' HC target list. Expect Daboll to be interviewed on Monday if the Bills lose Sunday.

Frankly, I'm done with Patriot proteges in NYC, particularly with Flores' drama with the front office in Miami.

Quinn and Flores were reached out to because they were both on every GM finalists' HC target list. Expect Daboll to be interviewed on Monday if the Bills lose Sunday.

Frankly, I'm done with Patriot proteges in NYC, particularly with Flores' drama with the front office in Miami.
Believe it or not, Daboll began his career under BB in New England in 2000. I think you guys should go with Flores, that way you can bring back Joe Judge as STC. Best of both worlds right there. Daboll looks like Jets GM Joe Douglas - could be confusing to the NY media.

Reactions: Section124
Losing a game for a better draft pick wouldn't deter me. I know that the Eagles canned him, but there was also a concern about deterioration in QB play and other personnel and no one's ever accused the Eagles of being run perfectly.

No coach is perfect, but exactly which other coach with a Super Bowl win under his belt are the Giants looking at?

Players have so many incentives packed into their contracts these days that losing a game on purpose is practically impossible

Didn’t Pederson and the Eagles fall apart after Reich left for Indy?
There were other internal issues with the QB, which also played out a little this year in Indy. They also got hit by a ton of injuries his last two years in Philly. They got hit by a bunch of injuries during the SB year, but the team went all in on winning that year, so they had enough depth to overcome it.

Reactions: NickRU714
Has Pederson called plays?
Pretty sure he didn't in KC and Reid called them.

I want an offensive playcalling HC.
It ensures you have offensive continuity.
If the OC is successful then he'll get an HC position and your replacing the offense potentially.

You also aren't going to get the best offensive coaches available because they will get HC opportunities and aren't making a lateral move to be Giants OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT