ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daboll meeting in person with Mara, Tisch and Schoen for a second interview, while other coaches supposedly on the list haven't had a first interview

New GM was on with Tiki and Tierney today. Some good questions asked by them. These guys deserve the afternoon spot too on WFAN. They actually talk sports. Not Evans fault though as he is a sports nerd.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Daboll is interesting pick.
Upstater like Coughlin
Offensive guy (college and pros) like Coughlin
University of Rochester grad - in Liberty League where Coughlin coached (RIT)
Traveled some paths with Mangini
Has FIVE Super Bowl rings
He's been around awhile and should be able to identify good assistants who will probably be smart

Burrow kinda makes the Jones experiment look weak

Kid takes Cincy to the Super Bowl in his second year - and with an OL that got him sacked 10x times in last 2 games

Burrow kinda makes the Jones experiment look weak

Kid takes Cincy to the Super Bowl in his second year - and with an OL that got him sacked 10x times in last 2 games
This was the bowl game that Gettleman decided that Daniel Jones was THE MAN!!!! Vs Temple🤦🏻‍♂️

“During his senior year, Jones was named the MVP in the 2018 Independence Bowl, where he went 30–41 with 423 passing yards and five touchdowns in a 56–27 victory over Temple.”

This was the bowl game that Gettleman decided that Daniel Jones was THE MAN!!!! Vs Temple🤦🏻‍♂️

“During his senior year, Jones was named the MVP in the 2018 Independence Bowl, where he went 30–41 with 423 passing yards and five touchdowns in a 56–27 victory over Temple.”

He was also MVP of Senior Bowl in 2019

I heard Gettles himself say that it was Shurmur who wanted Jones first.

I saw Jones play at Army in 2017 and didn't even notice him. He went 19/29, 164 yds, 1 INT.

When you look at Daboll’s resume it seems like the personification of who you know and not what you know.

He and the new GM should each be sending Josh Allen some pricy gifts because #17 raised their profile tremendously.

That being said, it appears that the communication and alignment is going to improve in the Giants org so that’s impactful.

Hopefully they will retain Patrick Graham as DC because the D is not the problem.

He was also MVP of Senior Bowl in 2019

I heard Gettles himself say that it was Shurmur who wanted Jones first.

I saw Jones play at Army in 2017 and didn't even notice him. He went 19/29, 164 yds, 1 INT.
Both screwed up when they drafted a qb in the first round for the sake of drafting a quarterback in the first round. Granted the qb class was weak that year but he was still a second- third round qb at best. Should’ve bolstered other units like DLine (Ed Oliver 2 picks later) or some of the other OLinemen who the Giants didn’t have to trade up to get (still can’t believe they traded up for Jones). Can’t tell me that Daniel Jones was better than Debo Samuels or DK Metcalf coming out of that draft.

Both screwed up when they drafted a qb in the first round for the sake of drafting a quarterback in the first round. Granted the qb class was weak that year but he was still a second- third round qb at best. Should’ve bolstered other units like DLine (Ed Oliver 2 picks later) or some of the other OLinemen who the Giants didn’t have to trade up to get (still can’t believe they traded up for Jones). Can’t tell me that Daniel Jones was better than Debo Samuels or DK Metcalf coming out of that draft.
Giants didn’t trade up to #6 to get Jones. That was their pick. I was hoping they were going to take the other Josh Allen at 6 and take Jones at 16- although the Redskins wanted Danny Dimes at 15.

We could have been stuck with Dwayne Haskins…

Reactions: tico brown
Giants didn’t trade up to #6 to get Jones. That was their pick. I was hoping they were going to take the other Josh Allen at 6 and take Jones at 16- although the Redskins wanted Danny Dimes at 15.

I goofed. It’s been a long three years lol. Like I said, weak QB class. Should’ve gotten the defensive Josh Allen as well.

Reactions: Morrischiano

Dwayne Haskins isn't nearly as bad a pick for Washington as people make it out to be.
For the team, it's better for high pick QB to flame out quickly than linger around in uncertainty for 3-4 years and just waste time for the team while being bad to just mediocre.

For example - look at Josh Rosen vs. Sam Darnold.
It's clear Darnold has the better NFL career and is the better QB.

But what did they do for the Jets? Just waste time because he never definitively proved he was "it" or "not it".
From the perspective of the Jets/Cardinals: Cardinals clearly won.
Cardinals knew instantly that Rosen wasn't "it" and they could move on to select Murray who has been drastically better and the team made the playoffs 3 years later.

Dwayne Haskins isn't nearly as bad a pick for Washington as people make it out to be.
For the team, it's better for high pick QB to flame out quickly than linger around in uncertainty for 3-4 years and just waste time for the team while being bad to just mediocre.

For example - look at Josh Rosen vs. Sam Darnold.
It's clear Darnold has the better NFL career and is the better QB.

But what did they do for the Jets? Just waste time because he never definitively proved he was "it" or "not it".
From the perspective of the Jets/Cardinals: Cardinals clearly won.
Cardinals knew instantly that Rosen wasn't "it" and they could move on to select Murray who has been drastically better and the team made the playoffs 3 years later.
Matthew Stafford and Ryan Tannehill say hi.

Reactions: NickRU714
Matthew Stafford and Ryan Tannehill say hi.

What exactly is your point?
They spent a combined 18 years with their drafted teams and made 3 playoff appearances.

Tannehill spent 6 years in Miami with mediocre results (team went 42-46) and the team never made the playoffs.
That's actually the definition of "too good move on from him but not bad enough to bottom out).

Stafford spent 12 years in Detroit with mediocre results (team went 74-90). He was arguably worse for them because they made the playoffs in Year 3, Year 6 and Year 8 (losing in 1st round all 3 times). Then 4 years of bad results before they finally moved on.
Literally he was just good enough to string along the team with token playoff appearances.

Last edited:
I liked Haskins but he and Jones were second rounders who lucked-out and moved-up in a weak QB year.
Jones isn't horrible but he's not a franchise guy like even Eli was.
Kid is often hurt and he has meager pocket awareness
Mahomes and and Burrow play like they have eyes in the back of their heads
The real kicker is that Gettles liked Herbert and could have drafted him but Giants owners think Jones is Eli Doppelgänger
Herbert has a Super Bowl or two in him

Would it have occurred to the Giants coaching brain trust to use Samuel the way the Niners have? I'm inclined to doubt it.

I liked Haskins but he and Jones were second rounders who lucked-out and moved-up in a weak QB year.
Jones isn't horrible but he's not a franchise guy like even Eli was.
Kid is often hurt and he has meager pocket awareness
Mahomes and and Burrow play like they have eyes in the back of their heads
The real kicker is that Gettles liked Herbert and could have drafted him but Giants owners think Jones is Eli Doppelgänger
Herbert has a Super Bowl or two in him
Haskins was a lazy primadona.

Jones has more natural talent and works his ass off.

Herbert decided to stay in school the year of the Jones draft. He was drafted the following year.

Haskins was a lazy primadona. 4th

Jones has more natural talent and works his ass off.

Herbert decided to stay in school the year of the Jones draft. He was drafted the following year.
I know Herbert was drafted the year after Jones. Hebert was picked 6th and Giants picked Andrew Thomas 4th so they had a shot at Herbert. They could have done what AZ did when they picked Rosen in first and then picked Kyler Murray the next year. I think Gettles might have been up for it but Mara's like Jones. I never saw much of Herbert since he played out west but I watched one quarter of him and the kid is a specimen. You can watch one quarter of Jones and see he's a sitting duck in a collapsed pocket. He can scoot ok but he doesn't sense the rush behind him. Maybe he turns-up a nice player but you feel like he's a project. With Herbert, Burrow et al you feel the rest of the team is the project because they are ready to hustle

I was listening to Boomer yesterday and he said Maras need to stay out of the way. They dumped Garrett on Joe Judge and they get crushes on players

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Watching the Pro Bowl Skills Showdown.

Nevermind - I was wrong. Russell Wilson isn't washed up. Trade for him. He was pretty good in the Precision Passing.

Sidenote - Mac Jones stinks. And why did they have Hunter Renfrow/Justin Jefferson throwing?

I know Herbert was drafted the year after Jones. Hebert was picked 6th and Giants picked Andrew Thomas 4th so they had a shot at Herbert. They could have done what AZ did when they picked Rosen in first and then picked Kyler Murray the next year. I think Gettles might have been up for it but Mara's like Jones. I never saw much of Herbert since he played out west but I watched one quarter of him and the kid is a specimen. You can watch one quarter of Jones and see he's a sitting duck in a collapsed pocket. He can scoot ok but he doesn't sense the rush behind him. Maybe he turns-up a nice player but you feel like he's a project. With Herbert, Burrow et al you feel the rest of the team is the project because they are ready to hustle

I was listening to Boomer yesterday and he said Maras need to stay out of the way. They dumped Garrett on Joe Judge and they get crushes on players
Boomer knows what he’s talking about. IMO Jones has one year to play for his NYG career. If it doesn’t work the Maras need to let it go and move on from him.

Forcing Garrett on a young first time HC, I get it. Don’t agree but I understand it. But they have to stop falling in love with players like they did with Jones and Barkley and let the GM do his thing.

Unless it's a 1st rd pick, although maybe late in the round, there is no way they let him go after a single year marred by injury. Too talented.

Ha. "ESPN Insider".....
Talk about lazy reporting.

Toney is probably the best contract/value/skill on the team.

Now, if they want to explore trading Golladay? I'm in for that.

I saw some article about how they could free up close to $40m in cap space by restructuring contracts (Williams, Golladay, Bradberry, etc.) and pushing more money out to next year and beyond.

I'd rather fully tank this year.
Take any dead cap hits we need to get off bad contracts and start rebuilding the team through the draft and FA in 2023.

Look forward to a high draft pick in 2023 (for a QB potentially or to trade to a QB-needy team).

Are we allowed to make "I wish Mara would offer Daboll $100,000 per loss" jokes yet?
Instead of earning those draft picks, might as well rack up the loses, ping pong balls, or whatever else the fans want in the name of parity.

More Kadarius and Saquon trade spec

"The New York Giants will need to clear salary cap space this offseason and general manager Joe Schoen has already placed that number at roughly $40 million.

That’s a significant amount of space to clear, so it likely means several big-name players will either be traded or released outright"

Davis Webb Coming Back

Last edited:
Now, if they want to explore trading Golladay? I'm in for that.

I saw some article about how they could free up close to $40m in cap space by restructuring contracts (Williams, Golladay, Bradberry, etc.) and pushing more money out to next year and beyond.

I'd rather fully tank this year.
Take any dead cap hits we need to get off bad contracts and start rebuilding the team through the draft and FA in 2023.

Look forward to a high draft pick in 2023 (for a QB potentially or to trade to a QB-needy team).

Definitely on board with this. Use the draft for Line (O & D) build as well as linebackers. Use next year to ride out the cap situation, Jones and Barkley. Evaluate and establish keepers and clean house after that. Another high draft pick in 2023 an off you go with much more talent on the lines and much more cap space. This year I would look to trade/cut vets for cap relief but not to get stuck with dead cap space - trading Toney for pennies on the dollar makes no sense.

While many who see the situation clearly will be on board with another bad year - only problem is that unfortunately the media and fanbase will be calling for their heads next year if they tank again.

Reactions: NickRU714
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT