ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely on board with this. Use the draft for Line (O & D) build as well as linebackers. Use next year to ride out the cap situation, Jones and Barkley. Evaluate and establish keepers and clean house after that. Another high draft pick in 2023 an off you go with much more talent on the lines and much more cap space. This year I would look to trade/cut vets for cap relief but not to get stuck with dead cap space - trading Toney for pennies on the dollar makes no sense.

While many who see the situation clearly will be on board with another bad year - only problem is that unfortunately the media and fanbase will be calling for their heads next year if they tank again.
You're giving the fanbase way to much credit. They will be calling
for heads to roll after the first three and out in the first game.

Reactions: RUInsanity
'On Friday, February 11, the team officially announced the hiring of offensive coordinator Mike Kafka. A former signal-caller for the Philadelphia Eagles during his playing days, Kafka spent the past five seasons in Kansas City, most recently serving as the Chiefs’ quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator.'

“The New York Giants got an absolute stud,” Chiefs star tight end Travis Kelce said of the team’s new hire, via the New York Daily News. “You’re gonna be prepared. You’re never gonna feel like you don’t have an upper hand against the opponent, and that’s something you don’t get throughout the league with every offensive coordinator.”

Say what you want about Jones on the field performance but he's been nothing but professional off the field and in the locker room by all accounts.

You can act like Aaron Rodgers and cause problems when you back it up with MVP level play.
While Murray has been very good - he hasn't been lights out and seems to get dinged up every year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...a-cardinals-odd-place-amid-frustrations-sides

NFL officially set the 2022 salary cap, franchise tag and 5th Year Option numbers.

Salary Cap: $208.2m (this had already been agreed upon I believe)
Giants are still over the cap after cutting Booker and Kyle Rudolph.
Need to free up approx $7m by March 16th (trade Bradberry? trade Saquon? cut Shepard?)

Daniel Jones 2023 5th Year Option (QB - Playing Time Achievement - No Pro Bowl): $22.3m
Dexter Lawrence 2023 5th Year Option (DT - Playing Time Achievement - No Pro Bowl): $10.7m

Giants have until May 2nd to decide on the options for 2023 and they are fully guaranteed immediately if they pick them up.

Looks like Gettleman is the gift that keeps on giving. Last years first, WR Toney looks like another crap pick. NYG are looking to trade him for flaking out and not showing up to any off season workouts. Yeesh. What a disaster of a GM.

They need to knock it out of the park next week with 2 top 7 picks. You have to think if they can get one each of the top 3 OLs (Neal, Ekwonu, Cross) and EDGEs (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker) that would be close to optimal.

Trade 5 and still get one of 3 OT
Trade 7 and still get one of the DE or get C from Iowa around 14-16

3 first rounders next year and pick up a few 2’s or 3’s this year or next

Giants became "specimen" shoppers like Al Davis used to be
Their OL picks were the biggest and strongest but couldn't move (Hernandez, Flowers)
Then there is Saquon - who is a freak - but some people (including Carl Banks) saw the weightlifting and mass as warning flags. Legs that can squat 600lbs come with their own stresses built-in
Toney seemed like another specimen (broke Beckham's rookie record) but with a rap name like "Yung Joka" you wouldn't be surprised if he went off the beam like Beckham

Looks like Gettleman is the gift that keeps on giving. Last years first, WR Toney looks like another crap pick. NYG are looking to trade him for flaking out and not showing up to any off season workouts. Yeesh. What a disaster of a GM.

They need to knock it out of the park next week with 2 top 7 picks. You have to think if they can get one each of the top 3 OLs (Neal, Ekwonu, Cross) and EDGEs (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker) that would be close to optimal.
Here’s a NYG draft preview that mentions the 6 guys above, plus one more each OL/EDGE.

My guess - unless all 4 EDGEs are taken before them, they take the best/remaining of those EDGEs with the 5th, then the best of the remaining OL with the 7th. Otherwise they go OL, then DB.

https://www.giants.com/video/2022-n...d00006bud3HAAQ&campaign=dk-cl-ed-em-nz-447725

"From the very start of the employment of Joe Schoen as general manager and Brian Daboll as head coach, there was more hope than overwhelming confidence expressed that Daniel Jones would be the franchise quarterback moving forward. That hope remains, but long-term commitments are not based on hope, which is why the Giants have declined to pick up Jones’ fifth-year option."

Makes sense.
Would have been terrible to fully guarantee approx $22mil in 2023 to Jones.

I wonder if they would spend #36 on a QB if they all fall and someone they want is available.

Reactions: ashokan
hey need to knock it out of the park next week with 2 top 7 picks. You have to think if they can get one each of the top 3 OLs (Neal, Ekwonu, Cross) and EDGEs (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker) that would be close to optimal.
Optimal it is.

Reactions: mdh2003
Giants collapsed after the 2012 Super Bowl
A lot of that had to do with the OL breaking down
Giants went on losing streaks despite having DEs like JPP, Mathias Kiwanuka and Olivier Vernon playing together.
Giants needed OL first, second and third
These days the OL get hurt routinely and you cant have enough because you cant trade for good ones
They all have to play multiple positions
Eli was a long ball thrower who got stuck throwing slants to Beckham because OL couldn't hold blocks
Jones couldn't do much either - and he has no rush awareness to boot.
I also liked the Charles Cross kid who went to Seattle
Some had him going to Giants in first
Long arms, big hands, 4.95 40, athletic with 31" vertical at 305 (and an early leaver)

co237ed.jpg

Last edited:
The thing you used to hear about the draft is that its success can't be judged for 2 or 3 years. Now everyone does it immediately.

My recollection is that NFL drafts have always been graded/judged immediately and very rarely do the "graders" ever go back several years down the line to critique their own innacuracies (unless they were right LOL). Fans of teams that make questionable picks in the higher rounds might tend to be the ones who clamor for waiting 2-3 years to judge.

Giants have the 4th pick in the 2nd round. Lots of good options still on the board. My top potential choices - Booth (CB - Clemson), Dean (LB - Georgia), Brisker (S- PSU), Trey McBride (TE - Colorado St.), Malik Willis (QB - Liberty)

Giants have the 4th pick in the 2nd round. Lots of good options still on the board. My top potential choices - Booth (CB - Clemson), Dean (LB - Georgia), Brisker (S- PSU), Trey McBride (TE - Colorado St.), Malik Willis (QB - Liberty)

If available and they go on the basis of position of need it will be McBride. If BPA it will be Dean.

Here’s a NYG draft preview that mentions the 6 guys above, plus one more each OL/EDGE.

My guess - unless all 4 EDGEs are taken before them, they take the best/remaining of those EDGEs with the 5th, then the best of the remaining OL with the 7th. Otherwise they go OL, then DB.

https://www.giants.com/video/2022-n...d00006bud3HAAQ&campaign=dk-cl-ed-em-nz-447725
Well, kinda self evident, BUT, wth - I’ll give my self some props, ha. Not just the NYG that hit it out of the park, lol.

In retrospect, I seriously underestimated the value of those DBs. Now, I am guessing that NYG were NEVER going to take an OL first. If the top EDGEs we’re gone, they would go with DB, then OL.

Very curious if WILLIS is there, do NYG take him in the top of the 2nd? No inside info, but I get the feeling that NYG want to draft their future QB next year. But, maybe not. This pick will tell us a lot about this NYG GM.

My recollection is that NFL drafts have always been graded/judged immediately and very rarely do the "graders" ever go back several years down the line to critique their own innacuracies (unless they were right LOL). Fans of teams that make questionable picks in the higher rounds might tend to be the ones who clamor for waiting 2-3 years to judge.
Oh, don't get me wrong. There have always been those who react with dead-certain evaluations at the time of the draft. There are just more of them now, and the reactions are pointless. Even the teams don't know whether they got it right until years later, and you can be darn sure that people in the media and fans on the internet know even less. It's just that this practice of giving immediate opinions of success or failure is much more rampant now, with internet sites looking for clicks and the frenzy to have an opinion and to have it noticed that comes with today's social media.

Take a few steps back, and you see that it's all nonsense. We'll know whether the Giants first two picks pan out in a couple of years, not now.

Most here on draft night thought the Toney pick was a wasted pick who they didn’t need. And now some reports are that they’re trying to trade Toney.

Basically any pick under Gettleman was a wasted pick. Thomas, McKinney, Slayton for a season were the good ones.

Anyway they killed it last night. Got their top rated OL and an edge who has the highest upside which they desperately needed.

Reactions: daneman100
Wouldn’t mind the TE or DBs on that list.

Even though I’m in the minority that Jones can STILL become a good to VERY GOOD QB if he had admin that knows how to build a team, (AN O LINE), it would be interesting if they took Willis with the pick.

I would take Willis. Saying you’ll take a QB next year is iffy. No idea at this point Giants draft position or how actual draft shakes out.
I’d take him. Better talent than Jones.

But what would become of the controversy that will remain until Jones is gone?

Would only be a year. I think they're going to wait until next year though. Maybe take a QB tomorrow.

Would only be a year. I think they're going to wait until next year though. Maybe take a QB tomorrow.
Would you rather take a chance at Willis tonight since he’s up there with CJ Stroud and Giants may not pick that high next year.

I would take Willis. Saying you’ll take a QB next year is iffy. No idea at this point Giants draft position or how actual draft shakes out.

I probably would too. But, is he going to be there and/or what is the GM’s strategy?

My insane, way to too early, complete guess:
NYG have another crap year and another top 10 pick, trade up (+2024 first and 2nd) to get their guy in 2023.
Save this post, lol.

Guess for 2nd this year:
I think they are going Georgia. The LB, if he’s still there. Otherwise, the WR.

Would you rather take a chance at Willis tonight since he’s up there with CJ Stroud and Giants may not pick that high next year.
I still don't think we're going to be very good next year. There are multiple QBs that will be rated higher than the ones this year. Even if we're top 15 we should have a shot at a good QB.

Most here on draft night thought the Toney pick was a wasted pick who they didn’t need. And now some reports are that they’re trying to trade Toney.
Everyone knew he was a head case except Gettleman. Most knew he would live up to that billing and he didn't disappoint in that aspect. That's why the new GM is trying to jettison him quickly.

If I'm playing GM - I take a chance on Willis. He's talented but apparently needs seasoning and he can sit behind Jones/Taylor next year as the Giants will not likely be contenders.

Since I'm not the GM - my guess is the Giants preferential choice will be Dean. He fits the attack type scheme players that Martindale wants on D. Problem is that Dean might not be there when they pick. Their second choice is probably Booth - in order to replace Bradberry (who they will still try to trade/cut for cap relief). While they need a TE - I didn't get the impression the Daboll's offense in Buffalo relied heavily on the TE position for receiving - so this may not be a priority.

I still don't think we're going to be very good next year. There are multiple QBs that will be rated higher than the ones this year. Even if we're top 15 we should have a shot at a good QB.

If the Giants are not in a position to have a high draft pick next year isn't it likely that at least part of the reason would be Jones' has improved given a hopefully better OL?

If the Giants are not in a position to have a high draft pick next year isn't it likely that at least part of the reason would be Jones' has improved given a hopefully better OL?

Not necessarily.

Giants were terrible last year and still ended up only 5th.
In a draft with marquee QB prospects a good chance the top 3-4 picks are mostly QBs.
That doesn't even include teams trading up for a QB.

It's really Willis now or potentially the 3rd or 4th best QB next year.
Unless the projection is for Giants to be literally close to winless.

Reactions: tico brown
Everyone knew he was a head case except Gettleman. Most knew he would live up to that billing and he didn't disappoint in that aspect. That's why the new GM is trying to jettison him quickly.
Toney was there best player on offense for a while . I know it’s not saying much, but the guy is talented

Just drafted Toney’s replacement?

A little concerning they felt the need to spend an early 2nd round pick on WR after the huge Golladay deal and Toney as a 1st round pick last year.

Can’t purge the roster of Getteman players soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT