ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

Great news! No more soccer for another 4 years. NFL is starting in a few mins. Time to enjoy our real sports.
I really wonder what it is about you that makes you this way. I know it’s not new and this is your thing. But underneath it all, why? Just why? Why can’t you just let people enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy without trolling? Even if it’s all an act, it’s a sad, pathetic existence.

Wow what a final. I had bet France before the tournament started but found myself rooting for Messi to pull it off. Great game.

Reactions: cshelley
Great great game ! Very happy for Messi!
Memo to FIFA: Make the overtime sudden death like hockey! Only go to PKs if no one scores in 30 minutes of overtime

Premier League picks up again December 26th. Then the January transfer window. Great times for soccer.

Reactions: cshelley
Bring back the golden goal. PK should never decide the champ. Bad enough there are PKs during the match ,often times for inconsequential “ penalties”.

Reactions: RU848789 and Jimpeg
Still can't get over how dumb that handball-PK was with 4 minutes left in OT - let the shot go and hope your keeper saves it - the shot wasn't point blank. And then that kick save by Martinez in the last minute of OT clearly saved the match for Argentina. Mbappe with 3 goals and Messi with 2 and great plays all over the field and so much drama and incredible end to end action. The best ever for me. Want to rewatch it after the celebrations are over.

My summary...

Wow, just wow! Best ever World Cup since I started watching them in 1978. Just incredible soccer and the most amazing drama, after it looked like Argentina was going to win going away, being up 2-0 after a PK by Messi and a fantastic team goal put away by DiMaria, and not having even given up a shot through 71 minutes. But then a dumb foul for a PK by Argentina and Mbabbe scored and then 90 seconds later Mbappe scores off of a beautiful volley to tie it up.

And then it got crazy with great plays all over the field and so much drama and incredible end to end action. Argentina barely survived the end of regulation as France finally was dominating and then both teams took turns making great plays in the 30 minutes of OT, with Messi scoring 8 minutes into OT, but failing to hold on, as they committed a really dumb handball with 2 minutes left in OT and Mbappe converted the PK. Then both teams had golden opportunities to win it in the last 6 minutes (including stoppage time), with both keepers making great saves (especially Martinez's kick save).

But unfortunately, the game had to be decided by PKs, which is still a travesty - they should play sudden death OT until someone scores (adding unlimited subs after 30 minutes of OT)T, like hockey does, which is the right way to win a championship. Argentina won the PKs as their keeper made a save and one of the French PKs was sent wide, while nobody on Argentina missed. So happy for Messi to finally win a WC, as he's been my favorite player for a long time - and of course he won best player of the WC. Best WC final ever, for me, which means the best soccer match I've ever seen. Want to go watch the replay after seeing the celebrations.

Bring back the golden goal. PK should never decide the champ. Bad enough there are PKs during the match ,often times for inconsequential “ penalties”.
Golden goal was abolished because it was found to be counterproductive. Fearing immediate defeat, teams played ultra conservative in OT and few golden goals were scored. That's the rationale at least.

I really wonder what it is about you that makes you this way. I know it’s not new and this is your thing. But underneath it all, why? Just why? Why can’t you just let people enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy without trolling? Even if it’s all an act, it’s a sad, pathetic existence.
I agree. I'm not a soccer guy but why come in the thread being an ass just to try to needle people. If youre not a fan just don't watch and don't take part in the thread about it. It's not that hard. Problem is for some people being an ahole is just as easy.

Still can't get over how dumb that handball-PK was with 4 minutes left in OT - let the shot go and hope your keeper saves it - the shot wasn't point blank. And then that kick save by Martinez in the last minute of OT clearly saved the match for Argentina. Mbappe with 3 goals and Messi with 2 and great plays all over the field and so much drama and incredible end to end action. The best ever for me. Want to rewatch it after the celebrations are over.
That handball was a pen. He made himself bigger. The players know the rules.

FIFA instituted the Golden Goal some time ago. Sadly, it resulted in very negative extra-time play - teams got really conservative with the rule in place.

Try again D Bag. Women's World cup is 9 months out and since the US is always a favored team the coverage will be everywhere.

I hope you enjoy it even less than the Men's WC
^^^lol
raw

I'm betting it's a result of that Hawaiian disease....Lak a nookie.

ADVERTISEMENT