ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

My favorite team lost today but at least my second favorite moves on. Dutch vs Argentina should be a good game.
I'll be rooting for the Dutch (best side to never have won the WC) and the English (they invented the game, always have talent but have only won once) from here on out and I wouldn't mind seeing Messi win one with Argentina, as he's my favorite player ever.

Reactions: BHSPCRU
Home from my American Outlaws watch party at Mollys in Bethlehem, PA…gutted..but proud…I am US til I die and will always be…we have 3 and a half years to get this right…and I believe we will…co hosting the World Cup in 2026 is exciting and I will be at every US match…
….

Here’s a question. The Australian player, just a bit ago, was fouled as he was off the field fighting for the ball, which was in the goal line, with an Argentina player. If the foul were called, while the fouled player was off the field, does it count as a foul in the penalty box?

We have been mired in the same place for 28 years. Likely in the 15-20 range of top national teams. Most WCs we will qualify for, sometimes making it out of groups and sometimes not. Once in a while we will miss the WC entirely, but once in a while we will get a lucky Round of 16 match-up and advance to quarters. It is what it is. No reason to think this will improve.
Sad ! Every friggen kid in this country plays soccer !!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I'll be rooting for the Dutch (best side to never have won the WC) and the English (they invented the game, always have talent but have only won once) from here on out and I wouldn't mind seeing Messi win one with Argentina, as he's my favorite player ever.
I’ll be rooting for close, highly competitive games with all teams playing great and all games going into OT, but not ever making it to PKs which I hate. No preference as to whom wins now that the US is out.

Messi showing some fire, pushing the Aussie away when the guy was grabbing his jersey.

Nah, he really doesn't. But you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. If you feel differently, detail exactly what mistakes were made, what you would've done differently tactically or strategically, and try to make a case for why it would've been more successful.

I think GB has done a really good job with this team so far, since he was hired. We played a team that executed better than us and lost today. It happens.

The US approach to the game was exactly what gave us the best chance to win, IMO. Literally the only question I had was the choice of Ferreira and we have no idea what we don't know about that decision, so critiquing it would be uninformed blather.

When Reyna came in at the half, even with his fresh legs, he didn't exactly dominate the game. And it's not like anybody else has killed it at center forward for us.

The 3 goals were not GB's fault, at all, in any way. The first was the US midfielders, who were struggling a lot in the early part of the game and making constant mental mistakes, being caught out of position in transition. That was 100% on them and I am pretty certain they knew it even as it was happening. It was also some devastatingly good play in the moment by the Netherlands players.

The other two goals were directly attributable to bad player mistakes at the back.

This US squad has played better, and for sure they made crucial mental mistakes today. But I saw no evidence of bad coaching at all. Coaching a team is not like arranging chess pieces or being a puppet-master. The players had a good plan, one that gave them a good chance to win.

It's mental mistakes on the field that did us in today. Not bad strategy or poor preparation or awful subbing.
Where i think GB failed today was to not change the way we wanted to attack the Dutch. If Ferreira is the guy to start, you have to want to attack the Dutch back 3 with early moves, diagonal runs, anything that gets the tall trees moving and potentially breaking down the formation. Trying to heave late crosses high in the air into the box at the far post or penalty spot is a low percentage play against the Dutch. In some ways, they were the worst matchup for us amongst the teams that are left. They sit back and absorb pressure, have a wing back that can exploit our fullback's defensive shortcomings, strikers who can move and get Zimmerman shaky, and tall guys in defense who will snuff out crosses and set pieces.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Is it really "sad" though?

I feel there is something endearing about the US national team NOT being an world power. Is anyone really interested in US basketball at the world level? Would anyone care about American Football if there was a world tourney and we were drubbing the likes of Argentina 2000-0?

Where i think GB failed today was to not change the way we wanted to attack the Dutch. If Ferreira is the guy to start, you have to want to attack the Dutch back 3 with early moves, diagonal runs, anything that gets the tall trees moving and potentially breaking down the formation. Trying to heave late crosses high in the air into the box at the far post or penalty spot is a low percentage play against the Dutch. In some ways, they were the worst matchup for us amongst the teams that are left. They sit back and absorb pressure, have a wing back that can exploit our fullback's defensive shortcomings, strikers who can move and get Zimmerman shaky, and tall guys in defense who will snuff out crosses and set pieces.
But as you say the Dutch sit back and absorb pressure. I don't think they were going to put themselves in position to have their formations broken down.

Is it really "sad" though?

I feel there is something endearing about the US national team NOT being an world power. Is anyone really interested in US basketball at the world level? Would anyone care about American Football if there was a world tourney and we were drubbing the likes of Argentina 2000-0?
No it’s not sad really . From a sports perspective it is sad. We don’t need to be a world power but it would be nice to make a run once every 20 years in this tournament.

A couple of things I watched the game at Darcys in Bradley Beach had to get there before 8 am to get a seat by 9 am there was line in the rain waiting to get in. Darcys is so much fun for a game totally packed crowd.

As amny have mentioned the three goals from NED were defensive breakdowns of unmarked players. Second goal was a deflection as well . The third goal was inexcusable to let an offensive player get behind you like that.

Looking forward to seeing this team grow over the next 4 years. Curious as to why Gio R. did not get on the pitch earlier?

Agree that I would’ve liked our forwards and mids to apply earlier pressure with crosses instead of holding the ball so much in the final third. Hard to know, though, that the cause of that was coaching or just player decisions.

Entry passes are a big area of weakness with this US team. Timing of the crosses is often late. And quality of the touches, particularly from the left side, has been lacking during all of qualifying and in the group stage and today. A. Robinson has been really bad at it, which sucks since he’s so good at getting up there and on the ball.

It would be one of my key areas to develop, either by practice sessions or by personnel adjustment. We could also use a taller, stronger, center forward to be a significant threat on crosses into the box.

But as you say the Dutch sit back and absorb pressure. I don't think they were going to put themselves in position to have their formations broken down.
You can get VVD in transition and, since they were man marking us, having the 9 not solely play thru the middle... create overloads on one side to create space for midfield runners or the wingers on the far side to run into spaces. Third man runs. Things like that to create decision points for the CBs to have to decide whether to stay on their mark or stay home to cover the zone against the guys running into the box on the far side. Being static and letting them do both...mark the 9 and still cover the middle can't work.

This channel is fantastic if you want to dig deep into tactics

Reactions: mildone and RU-05
Here’s a question. The Australian player, just a bit ago, was fouled as he was off the field fighting for the ball, which was in the goal line, with an Argentina player. If the foul were called, while the fouled player was off the field, does it count as a foul in the penalty box?
if the ball was still in play in the box and the player is fouled along the touch line along the box then that should be called as a penalty in the box as the ball was still in play and the foul prevented the offensive player trying to get back into play.

Why was the "your teen choice awards" line cut from the Dorito commercial?

Thought that was the best line.

You can get VVD in transition and, since they were man marking us, having the 9 not solely play thru the middle... create overloads on one side to create space for midfield runners or the wingers on the far side to run into spaces. Third man runs. Things like that to create decision points for the CBs to have to decide whether to stay on their mark or stay home to cover the zone against the guys running into the box on the far side. Being static and letting them do both...mark the 9 and still cover the middle can't work.

This channel is fantastic if you want to dig deep into tactics

What are CBs?

🤪

Better question is how much will they develop?

To the original point, if USA does not advance at least a round at the 2026 WC, it would seem like we continue to be stuck in the mud.

The stars do seem aligned though.

Personally, I'm more optimistic about the team than I've been before. The US is developing loads of world-class talent - It really is amazing. The most glaring need has been at striker (#9).

But yeah, getting over the hump will be hard.

I don't know if Dempsey makes good points or not, but his presentation is terrible.
Deuce is constrained in the Fox studio broadcast. He's trying to be as professional as he can be here. Deuce in the studio on Paramount+/CBS for Champions League coverage is more his speed. Complete informal clown show entertainment there.

Argentina missed an absolute gimme, off a beauty feed from Messi.

And then another beauty op set up my Messi.

And then rips a shot wide on a great shot. This guy is good.

I'm not sure if this game is live or not? 🤣

Why sad? We lost against a team (ranked #8 I believe in the world) that didn't make as many mistakes and capitalized on their chances. I'll take that kind of 3-1 loss everytime over surviving an onslaught for 120 minutes and losing in PKs

US is one striker away from being extremely dangerous. If I could take 1 player off my second fave team, Lewandowski (who is completely wasted in the polish side) would be lethal playing with our guys.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Until we start getting the Ja Morants of the US playing soccer (which I don't think will ever happen) the US will be in the 10-20 range of world ranking. Not too bad all things considered.

Approximately 7% of American youth regularly play soccer, and the rate has been going down.

It's called the mommification of the U.S. Moms are 80% of the heads of families. They don't want their fragile little boys playing with helmets, mouthpieces and shoulder pads. If there is blood on her boy, she will hire a lawyer.

In big time soccer there are plenty of bumps and bruises. And a little blood. Man soccer.

Why does Stu Holden assume Poland doesnt have the stamina to stay strong in second half?

Uh-huh. All you seem to know how to do is make broad critical comments, echoing all the other uninformed and inexperienced non-coaches out there. I have yet to see you contribute a single statement that would demonstrate that you actually have any kind of detailed soccer coaching knowledge at all.

If you're so knowledgeable about all this, then explain in detail what you would've done differently. Then defend how you are so certain it would've made such a big difference. You have no way to prove it, of course. But at least you could demonstrate a solid foundation in soccer tactics and coaching terminology, demonstrate a true understanding of the game at a deep enough level for your opinions to be worthwhile on the subject.

And don't just say "subbing" or starting lineup. That's a total cop out that reflects no expertise whatsoever and cannot possibly be proven to be correct. Get into detail, show your stuff.
Awwwwe, did I hurt your hoo-hah Mrs B?

ADVERTISEMENT