ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

Brazil looked unstoppable and Croatia won like, well, Croatia. Hopefully Brazil doesn't stumble against Croatia, as I'd rather watch them play. And how good would a Brazil-France final be? The over/under on goals might be 10, lol.

Brazil looked unstoppable and Croatia won like, well, Croatia. Hopefully Brazil doesn't stumble against Croatia, as I'd rather watch them play. And how good would a Brazil-France final be? The over/under on goals might be 10, lol.
Or Brazil England

Spain with only 3 shots as we are in the 79th minute despite dominating possession vs. Morocco. Still scoreless. Are we headed for extra time?

Spain with only 3 shots as we are in the 79th minute despite dominating possession vs. Morocco. Still scoreless. Are we headed for extra time?
this spain team has all the hallmarks of a pep-style possession based team...but with none of the actual excitement

Japan-Croatia, to me, was the worst set of PKs I've ever seen at this level. Am I wrong?

I mean Croatia went 3 of 4…but, as I stated above, Japan’s approach was just pathetic.
yes... looks like they were REALLY afraid of not getting them aimed on goal!

Multiple long runs with no shot on the end. Surprising. I thought that Morocco clearance was about to be an own goal.

Worst shootout I’ve ever seen especially for a team with players of that quality.

Think they were on the take?

This plus 1000. CR7 was the greatest player I ever saw in his day. But they are better off without him now in 2022 IMO.
Agree. I was hoping he had one more great run in him for this WC, but it looks like they are playing better w/o him.

john strong making a statement about whether portugal was a one star team or whatever was so...ignorant. i f'ing hate Fox's coverage.

Never saw back to back days of games where three PK's were blocked/missed. What's wrong with these shooters?
Ronaldo will play last 20 min. do not fear.

Never saw back to back days of games where three PK's were blocked/missed. What's wrong with these shooters?
Ronaldo will play last 20 min. do not fear.
1) film. These keepers study the tendencies of the likely shooters more than ever. This was discussed extensively the other day.

2) I’ve seen 12 year old girls take harder penalty shots than the three Japanese guys who all got stopped on low, soft shots to the corner. Worst approach I’ve ever seen at this level.

Croatia giving Brazil all they can handle, playing very connected soccer all over the field, especially on defense and in midfield. Brazil hasn't really had any great chances (apart from one shot that got blocked by a defender) and seem frustrated, while Croatia has had a few nice possessions in the final third, but hasn't quite been able to make that last pass. Should be a fun 2nd half.

Croatia giving Brazil all they can handle, playing very connected soccer all over the field, especially on defense and in midfield. Brazil hasn't really had any great chances (apart from one shot that got blocked by a defender) and seem frustrated, while Croatia has had a few nice possessions in the final third, but hasn't quite been able to make that last pass. Should be a fun 2nd half.
Brazil is only going to get more frustrated if they don't break through soon. I feel like Croatia has no problem pulling a guy to the ground if he beats his man 1-on-1. It reminds me of Cincinnai vs our WRs in 2006.

Reactions: RU848789
Amazing saves in that sequence from the Croatian keeper (even though Brazil was offside on the 2nd one - where Croatia probably would've been called for a handball for a PK). Things getting exciting.

not sure how many yellows were handed out already, but i could see this game being affected by a double-yellow the way both teams are playing hard but also with lots of fatigue - mistakes happen

penalties suck - i'll probably stop watching if nobody scores in extra time
And Croatia's record in shootouts is very good the last few years (and last WC), so good strategy by them to play for PKs. Would far rather see Brazil win if it comes to PKs, as they're just a lot more fun to watch for me.

ADVERTISEMENT