ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW (which is nothing, but hopefully interesting nonetheless) here are the PointsBet odds as of 1/27 as to who will be the Jets starting QB in 2023.

Derek Carr +275
Jimmy Garoppolo +375
Mike White +500
Lamar Jackson +575
Aaron Rodgers +600
Zach Wilson +900
Bryce Young +1600
CJ Stroud +1600
Will Levis +1800
Tom Brady +2200

My guess is that it will be one of the two betting favorites. Although Tom Brady at +2200 is an intriguing bet, given that he will have only a small handful of suitors.

FWIW (which is nothing, but hopefully interesting nonetheless) here are the PointsBet odds as of 1/27 as to who will be the Jets starting QB in 2023.

Derek Carr +275
Jimmy Garoppolo +375
Mike White +500
Lamar Jackson +575
Aaron Rodgers +600
Zach Wilson +900
Bryce Young +1600
CJ Stroud +1600
Will Levis +1800
Tom Brady +2200

My guess is that it will be one of the two betting favorites. Although Tom Brady at +2200 is an intriguing bet, given that he will have only a small handful of suitors.
Derek Carr. Ugh. Might as well stick with Zach. At least there’s upside. Carr is garbage.
If Jets go outside to get a qb, think it ll be Jimmy G. though he ll be out for season by mid October. Lol.
Can’t believe they have odds for this. Lol.

Derek Carr. Ugh. Might as well stick with Zach. At least there’s upside. Carr is garbage.
If Jets go outside to get a qb, think it ll be Jimmy G. though he ll be out for season by mid October. Lol.
Can’t believe they have odds for this. Lol.
OK then how about some other possibilities, all of whom will be free agents (although I am pretty sure the first two will re-up with their current teams):

Daniel Jones
Geno Smith
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Brissett
Taylor Heinecke
Andy Dalton
Gardner Minshew
Baker Mayfield
Annnd my personal favorite...
Sam Darnold!

Reactions: Knightmoves
One way or another, I am pretty sure Zach will be back. They take a big cap hit if they cut him. And I doubt he has any trade value at all.

I am absolutely certain that unlike his first two years, he will not just be handed the starting job. They will bring in a veteran. I don't think Mike White counts.

So, the question is: are the Jets looking for somebody to compete with Zach, or somebody to whom they will hand the keys?

And, other than Rodgers or Jackson, who won't come cheap, is there anyone to whom you are willing to just hand the keys?

OK then how about some other possibilities, all of whom will be free agents (although I am pretty sure the first two will re-up with their current teams):

Daniel Jones
Geno Smith
Teddy Bridgewater
Jacoby Brissett
Taylor Heinecke
Andy Dalton
Gardner Minshew
Baker Mayfield
Annnd my personal favorite...
Sam Darnold!
Honestly and not a popular answer but I'd stick with Zach. Giants showed patience with Daniel Jones and Jets should do same with Zach. That being said, Jets should still have a respectable veteran at qb to either back up or help to devleop Zach such as a Jimmy G or maybe even a Derek Carr (ugh)’but give the kid some weapons at receiver and let’s see what he can do. I realize it’s not the popular opinion but Jets mismanagement of qbs is legendary and it would be a shame if same happens with Zach given his mediocre Wrs ( except for Garrett Wilson) / no tight end and no running game after Hall got hurt.

Honestly and not a popular answer but I'd stick with Zach. Giants showed patience with Daniel Jones and Jets should do same with Zach. That being said, Jets should still have a respectable veteran at qb to either back up or help to devleop Zach such as a Jimmy G or maybe even a Derek Carr (ugh)’but give the kid some weapons at receiver and let’s see what he can do. I realize it’s not the popular opinion but Jets mismanagement of qbs is legendary and it would be a shame if same happens with Zach given his mediocre Wrs ( except for Garrett Wilson) / no tight end and no running game after Hall got hurt.
I hate to say it but it's probably their best option.

Jackson wants a lot of money and he wants it fully guaranteed.
He knows he risks injury more - but so do the teams
The very things he wants reminds the teams why they shouldn't over-pay a running QB
I always kinda liked Minshew's potential but maybe not with the Jets
Jets do QBs about the way Rutgers does

Reactions: Knightmoves
In one of the great "What Ifs" of Jet QB lore Peyton Manning was almost a Jet. After the 1996 season Bill Parcells was named coach of the Jets and Manning finished his JR. year and there was speculation that he would enter the draft in 1997. The Jets owned the #1 pick in that draft and most certainly would have picked him. Imagine Manning and Parcells working together to bring the Jets to multiple Super Bowls.
But of course this being the Jets, Manning stayed at UT and the Jets traded the pick to the Rams (who chose HOF OL Orlando Pace) and through a series of further trades the Jets ended up with James Farrior.
Ah the Jets.......

Reactions: ashokan
Peyton should have more Super Bowl wins
He was MVP 5 times, 7x All Pro 1st team, 3x 2nd team, 14 times Pro Bowl
He owns the passing stat record book

Indy was a bad spot
Polian had a strategy where he expected Peyton to get leads in most games, and opponents would have to play catch-up - so he used smaller players on defense to better defend against the pass.

That seemed to be ok in regular season but in playoffs they would get beat-up.

It became more obvious how bad Indy was by the way they wrecked Andrew Luck
The guy should have been a HOF QB instead of a recovering sack dummy

To me the answer is Aaron Rogers if they want to win now.

Would be good for ZW to learn.

Also, has anyone ever seen this before:

The Jets locker room has no faith in Zach Wilson. That alone is reason to bring in a new starter.

I don’t think the Jets handled Wilson well from the beginning. The Jets were certainly not the only NFL club that had him rated as a very high prospect. In retrospect they should have had him sit behind a vet QB (which is what they will do now) . Wilson did not play a ton of games in college (injury kept him out a while) and he was considered a raw but talented prospect. What the locker room thinks of him can be changed over time , especially if his play improves significantly. He is only 23. The OC and QB coach hires are important.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Sauce and Wilson win

New York Jets rookies Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson won Defensive and Offensive Rookie of the Year, respectively. It is only the third time in history that teammates have won the Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year awards in the same year.

Revis and KLECKO to HOF

Last edited:
Who do you guys want as QB?

Looks like we’re gonna miss out in Carr and Rogers. Jackson staying In Baltimore…

Looks like we’re gonna miss out in Carr and Rogers. Jackson staying In Baltimore…

NY area media can be brutal on QBs
I didn't expect any of the big names and was leaning toward Minshew.
His first two years he was a starter and did pretty well
He was 37-11 for TDs/INTs
I also think Minshew is the kind of quirky character NYC might like
He almost had a cult going with Jax
After that it looks like Baker Mayfield is in the mix - maybe Darnold returns (Jax only want to ,give him 7 million)

Some other names here:

I agree that it looks like Carr is headed to the Saints. However, Carr has a full no-trade clause, so there is no deal until he says there is.

I think the Jets are still very much in there with Rodgers. The first question is does he want to retire. He will likely make that decision in a week or two. If he decides to play on, I think there is a good chance he lands with the Jets. The Packers have made it clear they are ready to move on, but don't want to trade him within the conference.

I personally would be fine with Garoppolo or Brissett for a year, while Wilson gets the grooming he should have gotten two years ago. Use the savings to shore up the OL.

Very interesting.
Didn't watch the Jets much (Giants fan) but heard they really killed the draft.

Wasn't the RB a rookie too? Breece Hall?

Weren't some people down on Gardner and the Jets taking him so high.

Very interesting.

Breece Hall is tremendous and before he got hurt he was one of the favs for offensive rookie of the year.
He only started three games but had 463 yds ( 5.8 per carry) and 4 TDs.
On top of that he had another TD and 218 receiving
He reminded me of Rice more than anyone else I've seen

https://theathletic.com/3705023/2022/10/18/nfl-rookie-of-the-year-breece-hall-sauce-gardner/

Reactions: NickRU714
Very interesting.

Hall was on his way to being Off ROY before he got hurt. He may need a full season before he is all the way back after the ACL injury. Some Jet fans were not for taking a CB that high but Gardner is unique and overall he was a popular pick at #4. They got lucky , I thought the Texans would take him at #3. They went with Stingley the CB from LSU.

I give up on Jet QBs. I don't have the slightest idea who it will be I'm thinking the guy from SF.
I don't trust Rodgers. Watching him play last year there were a lot of times he seemed disinterested. I'm guessing he retires.

Hall was on his way to being Off ROY before he got hurt. He may need a full season before he is all the way back after the ACL injury. Some Jet fans were not for taking a CB that high but Gardner is unique and overall he was a popular pick at #4. They got lucky , I thought the Texans would take him at #3. They went with Stingley the CB from LSU.

Having a lockdown corner like Sauce with a 12 sack DT like Williams is a heck of a keystone on defense. DCs loved Revis because he could handle team's best WRs alone while letting others blitz.

With the Jet's- this becomes very difficult. They just had the greatest draft in their history and maybe one of the best ever. Who ever gets the O and D ROY. And they had Hall before hurt that also could have been in the running. And then another big weapon in Moore. On D- they were very dominate with a lot of young talent in DB and DL.
They need TE/LB/OL and of course - QB.

A guy like Rodgers could possible make them into a SB contender overnight with the O weapons they have and their defense. But he is at max- only going to stay on top of his game for the next 2 years.
Carr- at first, I was not impressed and it seems he is going elsewhere - but when I really look at him- he may actually be the best option as he could go another 5 very productive years. And in my mind- he just never seemed like "that guy" then you look again and the dude is a 65% passer with 4k yds pretty much every year.With the Jet's D and the weapons they now have- that may actually be the less splashy but the better move. But, looks like it isn't going to be a choice anyway.

Garappolo - he would actually be a great fit in NY- his personality, looks, etc would make him a star if he could stay healthy. But that is his problem...he would worry me

Jackson - way too much money

Everyone else- We are just F-d...D Jones would actually be a GREAT fit but he is staying where he is.

Jet's f-ed themselves with two top 1st round QB's that both flopped.

And now, they have a ton of talent in so many areas, they will not be seeing a top 5 pick for a while. But missing the pieces to make them any more than a WC team.Unless, they find a way to Carr or Rodgers.

Carr is back on the market. The Raiders had worked out a trade with the Saints, but Carr's negotiations with the Saints (he has a full no-trade clause) have broken down. Carr reportedly now plans to veto any trade, and force LV to release him. They will no doubt do that by Wednesday. Otherwise they owe him a ginormous bonus.

So on Wednesday, Carr becomes a free agent and immediately signable by anyone. This is in contrast to the other NFL free agents who cannot sign until mid-March. So for the next month, he owns the QB market.

Between this development and Rodgers upcoming decision on whether or not to retire, it will be an interesting week for Jet QB watchers..

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
To me the answer is Aaron Rogers if they want to win now.

Would be good for ZW to learn.

Also, has anyone ever seen this before:

Aaron Rogers is the single most overrated player in the NFL. Every year ‘experts’ claim Green Bay is a super bowl contender simply for having rogers while ignoring the fact that he hasn’t even played in a super bowl in over a dozen years

Aaron Rogers is the single most overrated player in the NFL. Every year ‘experts’ claim Green Bay is a super bowl contender simply for having rogers while ignoring the fact that he hasn’t even played in a super bowl in over a dozen years
So, this year, 65% 3600 yds 26TD 12 Int and maybe his worst full year. 17 years and only 3 double digit Int…
4 MVP
I sort of feel that maybe there are other team factors that have held them back.

Makes me wonder if you have Dan Marino down as 2nd most overrated.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
With the Jet's- this becomes very difficult. They just had the greatest draft in their history and maybe one of the best ever. Who ever gets the O and D ROY. And they had Hall before hurt that also could have been in the running. And then another big weapon in Moore. On D- they were very dominate with a lot of young talent in DB and DL.
They need TE/LB/OL and of course - QB.

A guy like Rodgers could possible make them into a SB contender overnight with the O weapons they have and their defense. But he is at max- only going to stay on top of his game for the next 2 years.
Carr- at first, I was not impressed and it seems he is going elsewhere - but when I really look at him- he may actually be the best option as he could go another 5 very productive years. And in my mind- he just never seemed like "that guy" then you look again and the dude is a 65% passer with 4k yds pretty much every year.With the Jet's D and the weapons they now have- that may actually be the less splashy but the better move. But, looks like it isn't going to be a choice anyway.

Garappolo - he would actually be a great fit in NY- his personality, looks, etc would make him a star if he could stay healthy. But that is his problem...he would worry me

Jackson - way too much money

Everyone else- We are just F-d...D Jones would actually be a GREAT fit but he is staying where he is.

Jet's f-ed themselves with two top 1st round QB's that both flopped.

And now, they have a ton of talent in so many areas, they will not be seeing a top 5 pick for a while. But missing the pieces to make them any more than a WC team.Unless, they find a way to Carr or Rodgers.
I agree with most of this. Rogers would make them a legit SB contender overnight. There is some risk, as I agree he looked somewhat disinterested last year, but I think that's given the WR moves and challenges they had.

Carr is interesting. I feel like he's been almost a compiler as opposed to a prolific passer. He's had excellent offensive minds / systems, as well as talent to work with on the side of the ball. But far too often I seem to remember him losing a game or throwing a costly interception as opposed to winning one or throwing GW TD. I'd probably pass but recognize options are limited.

So, this year, 65% 3600 yds 26TD 12 Int and maybe his worst full year. 17 years and only 3 double digit Int…
4 MVP
I sort of feel that maybe there are other team factors that have held them back.

Makes me wonder if you have Dan Marino down as 2nd most overrated.
Look up Kirk Cousins numbers if you care about stats. Reality is Aaron chokes in the playoffs vs anyone but Dallas

Look up Kirk Cousins numbers if you care about stats. Reality is Aaron chokes in the playoffs vs anyone but Dallas
I do not have AR anywhere near my top of QB's...but you also have to be fair and see that in many of those playoff loses- the defense was giving up between 30-51 pts...
It doesn't all sit at his lap.
Cant compare to Cousins- AR has 3k more passes and same number of int...and a ration of almost 5-1 TD-int vs 2.4-1 TD-Int

Anyway- even if overrated(which he is)- I just don't go with most overrated ever.
He would be a perfect piece to the puzzel for the Jet's who have 2 insanely good WR's, good running game and a top 10 defense.

I agree with most of this. Rogers would make them a legit SB contender overnight. There is some risk, as I agree he looked somewhat disinterested last year, but I think that's given the WR moves and challenges they had.

Carr is interesting. I feel like he's been almost a compiler as opposed to a prolific passer. He's had excellent offensive minds / systems, as well as talent to work with on the side of the ball. But far too often I seem to remember him losing a game or throwing a costly interception as opposed to winning one or throwing GW TD. I'd probably pass but recognize options are limited.
As a Raiders fan, I am pissed about Carr getting pushed out. He is a great leader and much better QB than most people think (who haven't watched him regularly). The Raiders should have fired McDaniels and kept Carr.

As for the Jets, Carr would be an amazing fit for the team. And a 4-5 year solution. He is a vet, but still rather young.

To me, it all comes down to what they have to give up for Rodgers.

The Jets aren’t only an QB away from being a SB contender. They need help at OL and LB, and giving away draft picks will make it hard to fix those positions..

I’d rather sign Carr, and draft to fill the other needs . The ceiling at QB wouldn’t be as high, but we would be a better overall team.

I do not have AR anywhere near my top of QB's...but you also have to be fair and see that in many of those playoff loses- the defense was giving up between 30-51 pts...
It doesn't all sit at his lap.
Cant compare to Cousins- AR has 3k more passes and same number of int...and a ration of almost 5-1 TD-int vs 2.4-1 TD-Int

Anyway- even if overrated(which he is)- I just don't go with most overrated ever.
He would be a perfect piece to the puzzel for the Jet's who have 2 insanely good WR's, good running game and a top 10 defense.
I promise you, you could have a prime Peyton manning and the jets would find a way to screw it up…. He isn’t the ‘missing piece’. The jets are like the knicks, forever cursed

Reactions: yesrutgers01

I’d take the playoffs - lol folks forget who you’re dealing with here.

If Carr refuses the trade and gets released to be a free agent that may change the calculus. Both Carr and AR will be super expensive. But FA Carr doesn’t cost picks.

If Carr refuses the trade and gets released to be a free agent that may change the calculus. Both Carr and AR will be super expensive. But FA Carr doesn’t cost picks.
Carr may actually even be the better long term plan for the Jets. He would get this team to the playoffs with a fighters chance. And as you said- doesn't cost picks. And if we have a good 2-3 year run in the playoffs, FA's become more available as well.
AR would be splashy and he may even get you deep into playoffs for the next 2 years. But did we mortgage the future? And woud we have to offer him an extension to have him come and then be stuck with a very aging QB?

The other thing is, Carr will likely be released in the next few days and can sign immediately, to begin working with his new organization.

Rodgers will likely not show up for a lot of the offseason stuff.

The other thing is, Carr will likely be released in the next few days and can sign immediately, to begin working with his new organization.

Rodgers will likely not show up for a lot of the offseason stuff.
That is what a team has to debate. Carr will be there and a team player but..,AR, is just that much better but you are truly going ALL IN.

Carr is born/raised in CA - played at Fresno.
Doesn't seem like a guy to come to the NE after almost 10 yrs with Raiders
He might not even have a winter coat lol

Read this article through. Carr is awful in games under 40 degrees. I don’t think a fit in NJ

Read this article through. Carr is awful in games under 40 degrees. I don’t think a fit in NJ

He threw for over 300 yards in last season's playoff loss vs Cincinnati in the cold. He's fine in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT