ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 NY Jets Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can absolutely see Rodgers living somewhere in NYC. He is an outside the box type person and while he can like “the darkness” of rural Oregon, I could also see him enjoying the energy, diversity and attractions of NYC. Could see him emerging from a jazz club in the Village late at night.
He'll stay in NYC.
The type of media exposure he'll get there would be tough for him to pass up.

Patriots F’d them by trading the 14th pick to the Steelers. I think the jets thought they had that UGA OT.

Will McDonald IV might be good
At 239 he seems a little small for edge.
At 4.7 he might be a little slow for a chas'em down LB
Big 12 co-Defensive Lineman of the Year (2021)
3× first-team All-Big 12 (2020–2022)
He'll be 24 in June

Unfortunately they missed out on the OTs. The drop back to 15 cost them but they had to do it. I’m ok with the edge/OLB , they need more speed at OLB. McDonald is a good player from a solid program. They will use him as a rush end early in his career.

I was in Franklin Lakes one day and saw a big and beautiful colonial revival with a brook and bridge across it. I told my friends about seeing the house and they said "Oh that's Phil Simms' House." That street was as attractive as any I've ever seen. Of course it was near a lake lol
It went on the market a couple of years ago. And if you want to see a neighborhood- you have to drive through Urban Farms in Franklin Lakes. Algonquin Rd, Indian Lake drive and Shinnecock Rd- insane homes either on a lake or Mountain View’s. It’s my daily walk I take…tons of current and ex athletes in the area. AR would fit well lol

Reactions: ashokan
It went on the market a couple of years ago. And if you want to see a neighborhood- you have to drive through Urban Farms in Franklin Lakes. Algonquin Rd, Indian Lake drive and Shinnecock Rd- insane homes either on a lake or Mountain View’s. It’s my daily walk I take…tons of current and ex athletes in the area. AR would fit well lol

Franklin Lakes is pretty nice (I was on Greenridge Road).
On another day that I was near Simm's home, I saw a house with all the NYC TV trucks out front.
Turned-out to be Bernie Kerik's house and he was being arrested.
The thing I liked about the street was big homes that were like mansions but they seemed laid-back and not flashy

Unfortunately they missed out on the OTs. The drop back to 15 cost them but they had to do it. I’m ok with the edge/OLB , they need more speed at OLB. McDonald is a good player from a solid program. They will use him as a rush end early in his career.
GB picked a guy that would have been available at like 25.

Jets pick is a headscratcher. They drafted essentially the same player last year in Jermaine Johnson, and barely used him.
Couldn’t agree more ! After the OTs were gone, I was hoping for a trade down or using the pick on a WR or Kincaid at TE. Give Rodgers more weapons !

Couldn’t agree more ! After the OTs were gone, I was hoping for a trade down or using the pick on a WR or Kincaid at TE. Give Rodgers more weapons !
It looked like they made a pretty big attempt to move down, but there weren’t anyone that felt compelled to move up.

Teams weren’t as high on the WRs as the predraft buzz suggested, based on how long it took that run to start.

They HAVE to get an IOL at 42 if they don’t trade down, because then it will be easier to bounce AVT out to tackle when necessary.

Jets pick is a headscratcher. They drafted essentially the same player last year in Jermaine Johnson, and barely used him.
There were scouts warning before 2022 draft about Johnson's skills (lack of) in the NFL.
He is a bull rusher without a lot of tricks - he uses hustle.
That worked his senior year in college (were he had a more dominant year than other years)
Johnson ended-up with almost as many special team snaps as on defense - considered a red flag for a 1st rounder

Will McDonald is considered a different type of rusher - more technique than bull.
Playing in the AFC vs Buffalo and Miami 2x each (Tyreek Hill says Tua is most accurate passer in NFL) , the Jets want more pressure and Johnson wasn't bringing it.
McDonald is a little smaller than Johnson and I wondered if he would end-up as LB Johnson but Jets def want him as DE.
I suspect Johnson might end-up at LB, and other scouts said he is much better without blockers in front of him

Like this:

Reactions: Doctor Worm
There were scouts warning before 2022 draft about Johnson's skills (lack of) in the NFL.
He is a bull rusher without a lot of tricks - he uses hustle.
That worked his senior year in college (were he had a more dominant year than other years)
Johnson ended-up with almost as many special team snaps as on defense - considered a red flag for a 1st rounder

Will McDonald is considered a different type of rusher - more technique than bull.
Playing in the AFC vs Buffalo and Miami 2x each (Tyreek Hill says Tua is most accurate passer in NFL) , the Jets want more pressure and Johnson wasn't bringing it.
McDonald is a little smaller than Johnson and I wondered if he would end-up as LB Johnson but Jets def want him as DE.
I suspect Johnson might end-up at LB, and other scouts said he is much better without blockers in front of him

Like this:

I have a hard time getting worked up about the idea of the Jets having too many assets invested in something as important as the pass rush, considering it isn’t that long ago we had to suffer through the organization focusing effort and cap space on things like another team’s diva running back.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I absolutely don’t see Johnson at LB, there is no way in todays game that you have a big 265 LB. He is a 4 down DE. McDonald could potentially be a situational LB at 240 lbs. McDonald will be used as a 3rd down rush DE right now. He is an explosive player, they will send him after the QB.

I have a hard time getting worked up about the idea of the Jets having too many assets invested in something as important as the pass rush, considering it isn’t that long ago we had to suffer through the organization focusing effort and cap space on things like another team’s diva running back.

It doesn't seem like they got a pass rush though.

The DE picked after Johnson - George Karlaftis from Purdue - was a PFWA All-Rookie with 6 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 7 pass blocks. Jets actually traded up with TN to get Johnson.

The Chiefs picked Karlaftis after he slid down the board (he was projected as top 15 but other positions rose)

Johnson might not be a waste but it seems he'll need to go LB even more now with MCDonald pick

Kansas City Chiefs rookie George Karlaftis made this first impression on Andy Reid
Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article261164792.html#storylink=cpy

It doesn't seem like they got a pass rush though.

The DE picked after Johnson - George Karlaftis from Purdue - was a PFWA All-Rookie with 6 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 7 pass blocks. Jets actually traded up with TN to get Johnson.

The Chiefs picked Karlaftis after he slid down the board (he was projected as top 15 but other positions rose)

Johnson might not be a waste but it seems he'll need to go LB even more now with MCDonald pick

Kansas City Chiefs rookie George Karlaftis made this first impression on Andy Reid
Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article261164792.html#storylink=cpy
Last year was last year. I was referring to people talking like taking McDonald was frivolous because we had other bigger needs.

Joe Douglas' comment on Joe Tippmann, the Wisconsin C whom the Jets drafted in the second round:

"He probably has the best mullet in the draft."

I assume that wasn't their primary decision-making criterion.

• Haha
Reactions: MADHAT1
Jets trade down eight spots in 4th round, then draft OL Carter Warren from Paterson!

362685970_658969939607367_2297268886035496745_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT