ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 3 Rhino Poachers eaten alive by Lions

GSGS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
The very definition of poetic justice, lol.

"Although (game reserve owner Nick) Fox admits that the incident was tragic ..." - can't help but wonder if he was chuckling when saying that? He should make sure that a supply of ketchup is available for the lions for the next time this happens, I hear that poachers without any seasoning can be kind of bland.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...y-lions-in-south-africa/ar-AAzCxRl?ocid=ientp

Unfortunately lions are pretty efficient at it. They probably made quick work of it, snapping the poachers’ necks. They deserved a much slower demise.

Unfortunately lions are pretty efficient at it. They probably made quick work of it, snapping the poachers’ necks. They deserved a much slower demise.
Getting eaten by wild dogs would be far far worse..... they go for the most vulnerable areas of the body and dont bother waiting to suffocate their prey.

Reactions: RUSK97
The very definition of poetic justice, lol.

"Although (game reserve owner Nick) Fox admits that the incident was tragic ..." - can't help but wonder if he was chuckling when saying that? He should make sure that a supply of ketchup is available for the lions for the next time this happens, I hear that poachers without any seasoning can be kind of bland.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...y-lions-in-south-africa/ar-AAzCxRl?ocid=ientp
Couldn't this be a case of murdering the poachers and letting the lions hide the evidence?

Not that I would mind.. I am against the death penalty.. but I can forgive its use.. understand it.

Couldn't this be a case of murdering the poachers and letting the lions hide the evidence?

Not that I would mind.. I am against the death penalty.. but I can forgive its use.. understand it.
Better just to cripple them: the lions would take care of the rest.

65aaffd754f96985e3cc2fd30408db44--smiling-animals-wild-animals.jpg

While I don't condone poaching in any shape or form, ask yourself what drove these men to hunt rhinos? Do they not know it's wrong? Are they just greedy and selfish bastards with no care in the world? Do they just hate rhinos and feel justified in killing them? Or are there other forces at play that are, perhaps, hard for us to understand thousands of miles away in our WiFi equiped homes, electric cars, 401ks, and leftover meals that we readily throw away?
Let's just be greatful we live under much much better circumstances because there's no saying what any of us is capable of if relegated to a life of no jobs and no means of putting food on the table.
If you must direct your anger anywhere, then direct it at the people in the "Western world" who continue to buy this stuff. Those are the real scumbags in all of this.
Wake me up when the punishment for the poachers matches that of those who are buying these items for their living room walls and whatever else they do with them. Forget fines, how about a decade of hard labor?
"Oh no, we can't do that. After all, they're just animals..."

Last edited:
If you must direct your anger anywhere, then direct it at the people in the Western world who continue to buy this stuff. Those are the real scumbags in all of this.
Well...technically the Eastern World. The largest markets for rhino horn (most often sold in powdered form) are China and Vietnam where they are consumed in tonics meant to cure any number of ailments.

While I don't condone poaching in any shape or form, ask yourself what drove these men to hunt rhinos? Do they not known it's wrong? Are they just greedy and selfish bastards with no care in the world? Do they just hate rhino and feel justified in killing them? Or are there other forces at play that are, perhaps, hard for us to understand thousands of miles away in our WiFi equiped homes, electric cars, 401ks, and leftover meals that we readily throw away?
Let's just be greatful we live under much much better circumstances because there's no saying what any of us is capable of if relegated to a life of no jobs and no means of putting food on the table.
If you must direct your anger anywhere, then direct it at the people in the Western world who continue to buy this stuff. Those are the real scumbags in all of this.
Wake me up when the punishment for the poachers matches that of those who are buying these items for their living room walls. Forget fines, how about a decade of hard labor?
Perhaps you should read the whole article first? It has nothing to do with the "Western World" as you so colloquially put it.

Reactions: mdk01
Well...technically the Eastern World. The largest markets for rhino horn (most often sold in powdered form) are China and Vietnam where they are consumed in tonics meant to cure any number of ailments.
How's it working out as a cure for those ailments ?

I value all life, including the human life of those I disagree with. This is a sad story.

I value the lives of those endangered rhinos far more than those of people who want to kill them so they can sell their horns. And the lives of the lions, who might have perished without food, were also more valuable. The efficient laws of natural economics prevailed.

Once limp, always limp.

They grid up Dragon Bones to drink with tea, it is suppose to give them boners... it doesn't do anything. Maybe thinking about drinking Dragon Bones does something.

You might be wondering, WTF are dragon bones? Well, turns out these are Dinosaur fossils. Who knows how many unknown species of dinosaurs will never be discovered because these morons were grinding them up for this nonsense.

Then there is Shark Fin soup... eating dogs and cats... killing elephants for stupid reasons, etc. The list goes on forever.

But all of that is coming from Asia. (CHINA and others)

the African poachers are poor AF and they do this to survive. They will kill anyone who tries to stop them. I won't cry for them. They are murders of wild animals and humans.

The whole thing is a mess. The poor animals caught in the middle, and it is all in the name of the pseudoscience quackery that is fueling the whole thing. It is pure madness!!!

They grid up Dragon Bones to drink with tea, it is suppose to give them boners... it doesn't do anything. Maybe thinking about drinking Dragon Bones does something.

You might be wondering, WTF are dragon bones? Well, turns out these are Dinosaur fossils. Who knows how many unknown species of dinosaurs will never be discovered because these morons were grinding them up for this nonsense.

Then there is Shark Fin soup... eating dogs and cats... killing elephants for stupid reasons, etc. The list goes on forever.

But all of that is coming from Asia. (CHINA and others)

the African poachers are poor AF and they do this to survive. They will kill anyone who tries to stop them. I won't cry for them. They are murders of wild animals and humans.

The whole thing is a mess. The poor animals caught in the middle, and it is all in the name of the pseudoscience quackery that is fueling the whole thing. It is pure madness!!!
Agree 100%. The Middle and Far East are so caught up in some weird ancient traditions. Time to embrace science and join the 21st Century.

Having been in the Serengeti, I’m surprised this sort of thing doesn’t happen more often. You definitely feel like part of the food chain there.

Good for the lions. They got theirs.

The poachers eaten by lions incident was relayed on an episode of Discovery Channel's Naked and Afraid XL a few weeks ago. This made the cast members particularly afraid of falling prey to a lion attack. With that said, I'm sure that the N & A crew have armed guards protecting the cast. Otherwise, a few would have been eaten throughout the years.

Just an FYI, big game hunters and trophy hunters are two different groups. I am a deer hunter. I have never gotten a deer put on a wall. But I still have 30 pounds of venison in my freezer.

Yeah, the trophy hunters or ones that kill endangered species for fun, like rhinos, elephants , giraffes, Lions.

I'm not talking about hunting for food such as Deer.

Reactions: seels2662
While I don't condone poaching in any shape or form, ask yourself what drove these men to hunt rhinos? Do they not known it's wrong? Are they just greedy and selfish bastards with no care in the world? Do they just hate rhino and feel justified in killing them? Or are there other forces at play that are, perhaps, hard for us to understand thousands of miles away in our WiFi equiped homes, electric cars, 401ks, and leftover meals that we readily throw away?
Wake me up when the punishment for the poachers matches that of those who are buying these items for their living room walls. Forget fines, how about a decade of hard labor?

You can’t possibly be serious.

Reactions: Kbee3
Just an FYI, big game hunters and trophy hunters are two different groups. I am a deer hunter. I have never gotten a deer put on a wall. But I still have 30 pounds of venison in my freezer.
I have no issues with hunting and when it’s a plentiful species like whitetail deer, so be it. But there is absolutely no reason to hunt species that are under population pressure. I don’t hunt, but I fish. And I feel the same exact way about those going after big ticket trophies like bluefin tuna (even though they’re consumed).

Reactions: seels2662
I teach environmental science and am as liberal as they come. I am not inherently against hunting big game for trophies but obviously against the poaching of endangered and threatened animals or the luring of game off protected lands in order to shoot them.

Deer and other animals in many areas can be considered pests. The hunting of said animals is a necessity to control the population and to protect the ecosystem from overeating of vegetation. What is considered exotic to us may be a pest in another country (e.g. ask an African cattle herder how he feels about lions or an Australian how they view kangaroo). Hunting licenses are often granted for a significant sum of money to allow for an influx of revenue often used to aid in the conservation of the hunted species and its habitat. The idea is allow for the limited hunting of a species to help conserve an even greater number and other species in the habitat. The issue isn't the hunting itself, its when governments don't do a good job monitoring or regulating.

As for poachers I agree with the individual who asked for a little empathy for them. Am I stricken with grief that they died? No...but in my experience getting to know some of what goes on in these countries most of the poachers are not evil men hellbent on destroying a species....they are just trying to feed their families. The issue is with the demand as a result of a large population believing in superstitious eastern medicinal remedies that call for beaks, horns, antlers, tusks, etc. To tackle the issue you need to tackle demand first and then tackle a way to provide alternatives to supply incentives. The more industrialized and educated the rural areas of China and other eastern countries become, the less weird medicine they'll subscribe to. Converting a hunting economy to a tourism economy is a great way to make sure people have an influx of cash to their communities. "Racing Extinction" is an excellent movie if you are interested in this topic.

I teach environmental science and am as liberal as they come. I am not inherently against hunting big game for trophies but obviously against the poaching of endangered and threatened animals or the luring of game off protected lands in order to shoot them.

Deer and other animals in many areas can be considered pests. The hunting of said animals is a necessity to control the population and to protect the ecosystem from overeating of vegetation. What is considered exotic to us may be a pest in another country (e.g. ask an African cattle herder how he feels about lions or an Australian how they view kangaroo). Hunting licenses are often granted for a significant sum of money to allow for an influx of revenue often used to aid in the conservation of the hunted species and its habitat. The idea is allow for the limited hunting of a species to help conserve an even greater number and other species in the habitat. The issue isn't the hunting itself, its when governments don't do a good job monitoring or regulating.

As for poachers I agree with the individual who asked for a little empathy for them. Am I stricken with grief that they died? No...but in my experience getting to know some of what goes on in these countries most of the poachers are not evil men hellbent on destroying a species....they are just trying to feed their families. The issue is with the demand as a result of a large population believing in superstitious eastern medicinal remedies that call for beaks, horns, antlers, tusks, etc. To tackle the issue you need to tackle demand first and then tackle a way to provide alternatives to supply incentives. The more industrialized and educated the rural areas of China and other eastern countries become, the less weird medicine they'll subscribe to. Converting a hunting economy to a tourism economy is a great way to make sure people have an influx of cash to their communities. "Racing Extinction" is an excellent movie if you are interested in this topic.

Thank you. Your post intelligently sets forth my views on hunting and poaching perfectly.

Mafia hitmen are just trying to feed their families, too. Ditto crack dealers.

Ask yourself what all of the other guys in the community who aren't poachers are doing to feed their families.
That’s an excellent comparison you just made. It’s very appropriate to compare American crime families to poor African people.

So in answer to your question what are other people in the community doing to feed their families? They are immigrating to other countries, their prostituting themselves, they’re working their fingers to the bone in sweatshops and agricultural fields likely owned by a company that’s not even based in their home country, they’re walking around barefoot and gold mines or diamond mines or dismantling toxic electronic waste by hand, they’re working for druglords are warlords in their area, Or they’re not doing anything at all for money because they’re too busy trying to find water, I could go on and on. And the people that aren’t doing any combination of these things? They’re starving.

That’s an excellent comparison you just made. It’s very appropriate to compare American crime families to poor African people.

So in answer to your question what are other people in the community doing to feed their families? They are immigrating to other countries, their prostituting themselves, they’re working their fingers to the bone in sweatshops and agricultural fields likely owned by a company that’s not even based in their home country, they’re walking around barefoot and gold mines or diamond mines or dismantling toxic electronic waste by hand, they’re working for druglords are warlords in their area, Or they’re not doing anything at all for money because they’re too busy trying to find water, I could go on and on. And the people that aren’t doing any combination of these things? They’re starving.

Sounds like an overpopulation problem to me.

Sounds like an overpopulation problem to me.
It is. They need access to healthcare and family planning services. Women need to be allowed to go to school and not merely considered baby vessels. The people that have to go searching for water? Women. No time for education they spend all day gathering water and raising children.

ADVERTISEMENT