ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 30 for 30 - Douglas-Tyson

Yup - biggest upset ever in sports. Up to this day Tyson was the most dominant athlete I had ever seen before he lost. You look at Tyson differently now knowing his whole career, but before that Douglas loss he was the definition of invincible.

Thought the 30 for 30 was really good - liked they told it from Buster’s view. Buster was a gentle soul and very likeable - but also one hell of a talented boxer. His combos were beautiful especially for a HWT - would be really interesting to see an in shape Buster (like in Tyson fight) fight Holyfield instead of what showed up that night.

Yup - biggest upset ever in sports. Up to this day Tyson was the most dominant athlete I had ever seen before he lost. You look at Tyson differently now knowing his whole career, but before that Douglas loss he was the definition of invincible.

Thought the 30 for 30 was really good - liked they told it from Buster’s view. Buster was a gentle soul and very likeable - but also one hell of a talented boxer. His combos were beautiful especially for a HWT - would be really interesting to see an in shape Buster (like in Tyson fight) fight Holyfield instead of what showed up that night.

-----
I watched that fight live and like everyone else I was shocked at the result.... sadly, Buster never again looked anywhere near as good as he did that night.... he never ran from Tyson, often moved forward and kept after him..... that
uppercut was devastating

Reactions: Peteyd
First time I saw Tyson was on TV when he had a minor fight before he was champ. The pre-fight show had some clips of Mike's first round knockouts. Guy looked like a terminator. You could see he would be champ.

The fight on that day only lasted one round. When Mike was interviewed almost immediately after the fight, he said:

"I wanted to bwake his noeth and dwive the bonez into hith bwain"

"Ok this is going to become an interesting chapter in sports history" is what I thought.

I was at a wedding, could not believe he lost the fight when I found out later.

I remember getting up in the morning, hearing it on the radio.. and stopping dead in my tracks....... seemed impossible....
I screamed to myself "GTFOOH!!!!!!" when i heard this on FAN the next morning.

I remember thinking...actually nothing, I have no recollection of this event and I lived in Vegas at the time!

:sunglasses:

Reactions: RUPete
I remember thinking...actually nothing, I have no recollection of this event and I lived in Vegas at the time!

:sunglasses:

Only the mirage took the action from what the 30 for 30 showed . And the fight was in Japan.
I honestly thought buster douglas was dead before last night .

Watched the fight live. I remember my parents went out that night and when they came home I couldn’t stop talking about it

I was in Saratoga Springs, NY...we watched the bout at a family friend's house in his entertainment mecca. Probably had way North of 6 figures invested in that room alone. It was a treat...and aa hug surprise.

They mentioned last night that Tyson's cut man didn't bother to bring a steel compress to the fight, thinking BD would get destroyed. They showed him using a cold rubber glove instead on Tyson's left eye.

It's up there for sure. But still have to go with USA over USSR in hockey Olympics in 1980

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Never got the Tyson fascination.
He never beat anybody. Just a bunch of stiffs.
Ali would have toyed with him.

Never got the Tyson fascination
He never beat anybody. Just a bunch of stiffs.
Ali would have toyed with him.

Looking back on it that's easy to say. I don't know if you were following boxing during that time, but I think you would be in a very small minority before the Douglas fight if you were to say you weren't in complete awe of Mike Tyson. Tyson was really other worldly with the way he was knocking people out. .

Certainly a shocker, but boxing has had its share of other unlikely results. Ali vs Liston first fight even if Liston took a dive, Foreman vs Frazier (can still see that punch on Frazier's head) for just a couple. The idea that any fighter is invincible is more of a constructed stage by his handlers than a reality.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The only thing I watch on ESPN anymore is 30 for 30 and E60. have not watched this episode but saw a preview of it on E60. They also had a story on Deontay Wilder, the current heavyweight champ. Quite a fascinating story if you have a chance to check it out on replay. Never boxed until he was like 19 or 20 and in a couple years was the bronze medalist in the Olympics. Seems like a good guy

Reactions: PaRU102
-----
I watched that fight live and like everyone else I was shocked at the result.... sadly, Buster never again looked anywhere near as good as he did that night.... he never ran from Tyson, often moved forward and kept after him..... that
uppercut was devastating
Watched it live as well, on HBO, at a buddy's house. We were shocked beyond belief.

Was at a comedy club somewhere in Central Jersey. People kept getting up during the show and not coming back. Got up to see what was going on and the fight was on in the bar. Never went back to my seat. Girlfriend was super pissed.

I appreciate The Greatest as much as other fans, but I am not so sure Ali would have beaten Tyson when both on top of their game. Tyson took this fight for granted...a motivated, sharp Tyson may have been the best fighter of all time. Ali lost fights too.

Reactions: miket007
I appreciate The Greatest as much as other fans, but I am not so sure Ali would have beaten Tyson when both on top of their game. Tyson took this fight for granted...a motivated, sharp Tyson may have been the best fighter of all time. Ali lost fights too.
+1
Tyson lost his foundation when D'Amato passed away and Don King tricked him into getting rid of Rooney.

To me, Tyson was like they ripped Clubber Lang off the silver screen and made a real fighter out of him.

He was THAT intimidating. He destroyed everything.. until he didn't. I was not a fan... maybe things were too easy for him and he got sloppy.. and by them some better fighters came up and they had the right plan to beat him. Like an older Ali had for George Foreman... he saw he was destroying boxers and figured out how to beat him.

Reactions: cicero grimes
It's definitely a story of "what if". He obviously had his moments of greatness, but he probably could have been legendary (Ali level or beyond).
Think you nailed it when you mentioned him getting rid of Kevin Rooney was the beginning of his downfall
Kevin was a Cus D'Amato disciple and keep Tyson grounded as much as he could.

His marriage to Robin Givens didn't help either

I think i remember nbc putting updates in a crawl during Saturday night tv updating that Tyson got knocked out

To me, Tyson was like they ripped Clubber Lang off the silver screen and made a real fighter out of him.

He was THAT intimidating. He destroyed everything.. until he didn't. I was not a fan... maybe things were too easy for him and he got sloppy.. and by them some better fighters came up and they had the right plan to beat him. Like an older Ali had for George Foreman... he saw he was destroying boxers and figured out how to beat him.
Tyson in his prime really had no competition. Put him in the 70's and I am not sure how he would fare against the great heavyweights of that era. He may have wound up as a Ron Lyle or Ernie Shavers type.

I remember calling around to local bars to see who might be showing the fight as it was a pay per view event. Heavyweight championship bouts were still big spectacles and Tyson was the Superstar of boxers. My wife and I went to the The North Brunswick Pub to watch and it was packed. You couldn't even get near the bar to buy a drink it was so crowded. When Tyson was knocked down the place erupted into an unbelievable roar. Everyone was just stunned that Tyson could lose the fight. He had been so utterly dominating up to that point in time and Douglass was a relatively unknown boxer. It was a mix of disbelief and the feeling that you were witnessing one of the all time great upsets in sports.

Joe Frazier or George Foreman would have both
destroyed Tyson.
Watch his fights with Evander.
Evander never broke a sweat.
That was the real Tyson. Got KO'd by every real fighter he fought.
But he looked excellent against tin cans like Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon.

Joe Frazier or George Foreman would have both
destroyed Tyson.
Watch his fights with Evander.
Evander never broke a sweat.
That was the real Tyson. Got KO'd by every real fighter he fought.
But he looked excellent against tin cans like Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon.
Saw Teddy Atlas talking about Tyson and he said he lost every fight he was in.... meaning that whenever a fighter really challenged him he backed down and gave up. He would win most fights before stepping in the ring or just on physical talent, but when someone else could actually challenge him he crumbled.

Saw Teddy Atlas talking about Tyson and he said he lost every fight he was in.... meaning that whenever a fighter really challenged him he backed down and gave up. He would win most fights before stepping in the ring or just on physical talent, but when someone else could actually challenge him he crumbled.
I don't know about that. Watch the fight posted here. He was getting blown up all night and kept coming forward. If he had hit Douglas with the upper cut that floored him, with a minute left in the seventh round, `he probably wins this fight. As it was, it came with no time left in the round. Douglas caught a huge break there.

Tyson really perfected that "peek a boo" style of defensive fighting where you bait the other guy into getting frustrated and lunging to hit you, only to come out of your crouch, with balance and leverage and completely destroy your off balance opponent, who is falling towards you on the missed punch. He somehow forgot all about that defensive style and from Douglas on, just sort of showed up, stood up and brawled. At 5'11" 210 pounds, that's not a winning style.

I remember Tyson in spring/summer 1986 when he would fight on ABC what seemed like every month. Splitting from Rooney was his downfall because everyone after that was yes men. Honestly he was done when he came back from prison, no doubt in my mind he beats Holyfield had they fought that spring of 1990. Buster beating Tyson was bigger than usa/ussr

ADVERTISEMENT