ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 37% of all jobs can be done from home

We are already seeing this in my area. Companies are realizing they don’t need staff in high-rise buildings and are examining leases. Still is cheaper to help pay for internet and support IT remotely then pay for expensive leases on tall buildings, utilities, and IT etc.

Things are definitely going to change. My company of over 40K employees are all working from home and there have been no issues. I'm not sure that it will stay like this forever but I'm pretty sure that we won't be back in the office every day.

Reactions: DirtyRU
I am WFH now and love it but not sure I would have liked it early in my career.
My wife went from 2 days in the office to full time at home. She said she tends to get more work done at home than in the office. No people stopping by to chit chat. Now this may not be everyone but she tends to work more hours also, as she no longer has a 1hr commute. So she doesn't mind taking meetings at say 5 pm.

However, I'm not sure I like it. I'm her only human contact most week days.(a pitfall of living amongst farms, no neighbors) So when I get home from work it's like a game of 20 questions. Before I even get a chance to answer the 1st one, she's already on question 18.

Last edited:
Can be, but I think something is lost if you're 100% from home. There's a value to interacting with other employees, though I think it can be accomplished with 1 or 2 days a week in the office.
Agreed. New/young employees will suffer as I don’t believe mentoring and the passing down of knowledge/experience by senior employees is as effective when we are remote.

My wife went from 2 days in the office to full time at home. She said she tends to get more work done at home than in the office. No people stopping by to chit chat. Now this may not be everyone but she tends to work more hours also, as she no longer has a 1hr commute. So she doesn't mind taking meetings at say 5 pm.

However, I'm not sure I like it. I'm her only human contact most week days.(a pitfall of living amongst farms, no neighbors) So when I get home from work it's like a game of 20 questions. Before I even get a chance to answer the 1st one, she's already on question 18.
Can be, but I think something is lost if you're 100% from home. There's a value to interacting with other employees, though I think it can be accomplished with 1 or 2 days a week in the office.
Agree with both of you.

It’s a very nice option but I don’t think it’s the only one.

There's tradeoffs to it. Personally, I've used the time saved from not commuting to get back into an excercise routine and get in shape. Professionally, I fell like the lack of F2F results in more meetings / Zoom calls than in the last to get some things done.

Reactions: RU205 and MoobyCow
I love working from home, and our office has not missed a beat. That said, if we hadn't already been working together for years it might have been different. If I started a new job and was remote it would also be different.

There are things I know, and ideas I have brought to the company that came from interacting with people in other areas, people I would not generally talk to on a day-today basis. In fact, most of my job is now taken up by things that were outside of my original scope, because I saw what someone else was doing and added to it, or pitched an idea where I saw a gap.

Can I do my job 100% remote? Obviously. Would I be adding the same type of value, and bring the same new ideas? Nope, not without a baseline of overlap/interaction with people that only comes from being around them, overhearing conversations and just catching up.

Synergy is a crappy buzzword, but it's also a real thing. When you're completely siloed, as we mostly are from home, you do lose something.

I'm honestly saving roughly 3/4 of my paycheck these days. I never realized how much money I wasted paying people to do $#it for me because I had to commute 13 hours/week. Hell, I don't need to go into the office anymore, and if my company has an issue with it, I can get a closer job for half the money and still be ahead.

Our office of 15-18 is definitely getting more done from home, and 90% have been working together for a long time, which helps worfkflow.

My wife and I work in the same office. Normally, I would stop in and see her 3 or times a day because her office was near the entrance/exit to our suite. We now work on opposite ends of the house, and sometimes I go the entire day without seeing her until late afternoon.

I'm honestly saving roughly 3/4 of my paycheck these days. I never realized how much money I wasted paying people to do $#it for me because I had to commute 13 hours/week. Hell, I don't need to go into the office anymore, and if my company has an issue with it, I can get a closer job for half the money and still be ahead.
Since March, I have filled my fuel tank on my car once, and I currently have 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

I'm a computer programmer. I have one screen for my workbench. Another for emails and other items. A third for zooming Brady Bunch style. Definitely, not alone.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Really looking forward to being back in the office 3 days a week. I only live with my girlfriend who is starting to go into work again so I basically go for over 8 hours a day without any in person socializing which surprisingly takes a bit of a mental toll on you, especially when the phone convos are all business related. I also had a 5-10 minute commute so it’s not like I’m saving tons of time at home.

But I have noticed that I become much more irritable in general if I work over 50 hours in a week in a full WFH environment when in the past I never did, and it has to do something with lack of socializing.

Really looking forward to being back in the office 3 days a week. I only live with my girlfriend who is starting to go into work again so I basically go for over 8 hours a day without any in person socializing which surprisingly takes a bit of a mental toll on you, especially when the phone convos are all business related. I also had a 5-10 minute commute so it’s not like I’m saving tons of time at home.

But I have noticed that I become much more irritable in general if I work over 50 hours in a week in a full WFH environment when in the past I never did, and it has to do something with lack of socializing.

You should try being introverted, working like this is perfect for me.

To each his own. I sometimes go weeks without talking to coworkers, even via email, and it's glorious. No bosses checking in. No useless meetings for no reason other than to say you had a meeting about it. No brutal coworker weekend stories. Gorgeous!

I've been wfh for over a decade. I don't miss the interaction, but occasionally get stir crazy. Usually that's solved easily by mixing work travel in - a trip a month or so - and having a second office (at the ski lodge) but during pandemic have just had to try to get outside more on a daily basis.

And what will companies do with all their 7-10 year leases for commercial office space? Just eat it. Sub-lease it. Use it for storage.

People will be returning to their leased offices when things get back to normal. I've been working from home since March and the cabin fever ,can drive you nuts....wait until winter when you are inside for 22 hours a day.

Last edited:
And what will companies do with all their 7-10 year leases for commercial office space? Just eat it. Sub-lease it. Use it for storage.

People will be returning to their leased offices when things get back to normal. I've been working from home since March and the cabin fever ,can drive you nuts....wait until winter when you are inside for 23 hours a day.
The companies within a year or two of their leases running out will prepare to downsize and cancel. Others will consolidate their footprint, which will still save some money. The commercial real estate market is in for some dark years.

I love working from home, and our office has not missed a beat. That said, if we hadn't already been working together for years it might have been different. If I started a new job and was remote it would also be different.

There are things I know, and ideas I have brought to the company that came from interacting with people in other areas, people I would not generally talk to on a day-today basis. In fact, most of my job is now taken up by things that were outside of my original scope, because I saw what someone else was doing and added to it, or pitched an idea where I saw a gap.

Can I do my job 100% remote? Obviously. Would I be adding the same type of value, and bring the same new ideas? Nope, not without a baseline of overlap/interaction with people that only comes from being around them, overhearing conversations and just catching up.

Synergy is a crappy buzzword, but it's also a real thing. When you're completely siloed, as we mostly are from home, you do lose something.
My job is mostly WFH and with a Cali HQ, I was hired to me a remote employee. With that said, there is something lost by not having coworkers nearby at times. There have been many times that when in the office, two of us may be discussing a situation we may be facing with a prospect or client, or maybe with legal with T& C's. And by talking, someone else may overhear your problem and be able to join the conversation and add in how they had the same problem and how they solutioned it. And many other brainstorming type of conversations that came about around the water cooler. And Zoom meetings for a first call with a prospect just sucks...just saying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT