ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 50 years since the July 23rd-27th Detroit riots

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
We had a thread on the Newark riots, but I wanted to comment on the Detroit riots. I was a very little kid when this happened, and we were living in Grosse Pointe Farms north of Detroit. I vaguely remember people being scared, and my dad keeping his shotguns loaded. Mack Ave was the main thoroughfare going into and out of Detroit, and the fear was the rioters would come down that road into the Grosse Pointes. Silly when you look back at it, but back then there was far less information available than there is now

The original post which catalogued the '67 Newark N.J. riots transgressed into the gentrification of New York City ???... I grew up in one if not the most affected towns in all of Essex County...this once viable blue collar town bares little resemblance to the post WWII town I and many knew...the writing was on the wall in the early to mid 60's where the influx of southern poor began to move into Newark...the only area that lasted any length of time was "down neck" and even then caution became the norm...the Central ward began an infrastructure collapse...the areas of South Orange Ave ( West Side ) Clinton Aves, Lyons Ave, Chancellor Ave. became anything but safe ...the border area of Grove Street became known as Ghetto...simply white flight became reality...the Jewish stronghold's ( Weequahic section near Beth Israel Hospital ) became a shady area...many moved out to yes "the suburbs"...Here's it in a nutshell...racism was prevalent and people began to "RENT not SELL" their homes...when people are able to own something of their own normally most attempt to maintain it...In this case too many had no reason to upgrade something that was not really theirs...We can go back and forth as to the reasons why but block busting became the norm...The old town of 59,000 American immigrants ( the far majority Italian, German , Ukrainian , Irish and Pole ) never thought about moving out until the southern influx...

There's a movie coming out next week about the riots of Detroit, directed by Katherin Bigelow (Zero Dark 30).

When rage overflows people tend to riot even though perhaps they shouldn't. Still, the American Revolution gave us the Boston Tea Party and the Boston Massacre, events we now consider to be holy. There's always a double standard in place.

Reactions: RUMountie
When rage overflows people tend to riot even though perhaps they shouldn't. Still, the American Revolution gave us the Boston Tea Party and the Boston Massacre, events we now consider to be holy. There's always a double standard in place.
The only people who consider them holy are the New York / New England dems....other than that the point is simple... NOTHING has changed in those northern cities impacted by the riots except a few hundred K less people and a few new buildings...take a walk down South Orange Ave. to see how it really has not changed...the Central ward sans Shop Rites still a war zone.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
We had a thread on the Newark riots, but I wanted to comment on the Detroit riots. I was a very little kid when this happened, and we were living in Grosse Pointe Farms north of Detroit. I vaguely remember people being scared, and my dad keeping his shotguns loaded. Mack Ave was the main thoroughfare going into and out of Detroit, and the fear was the rioters would come down that road into the Grosse Pointes. Silly when you look back at it, but back then there was far less information available than there is now
A bit before my day and even my oldest siblings were just toddlers, but my parents have lots of stories about the riots as they grew up in Detroit and were a young married couple living on Pemberton Road in Grosse Pointe near the Lake. One of the more interesting stories was my mother being 8 months pregnant and was followed home from the grocery store by a guy who started to run at her. Fortunately for her, she was getting close to home and so she screamed and my Dad came out, chased him down and sent him to the hospital. Needless to say, it was a major reason for him shortly after accepting a job in NYC, which is how I was born in good ole NJ.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Exactly, they should plow under 1/3 to 1/2 of the city and leave it open space.

Or give it to neighboring cities...shitcago (murderville) ...another liberal stronghold is headed for a similar fate...with that deblasio-like loser or a mayor, it won't be long! But the "I want free shit" crowd keeps electing those clowns so something about sewing and reaping...?

Reactions: MulletCork
The only people who consider them holy are the New York / New England dems....other than that the point is simple... NOTHING has changed in those northern cities impacted by the riots except a few hundred K less people and a few new buildings...take a walk down South Orange Ave. to see how it really has not changed...the Central ward sans Shop Rites still a war zone.
Putting down riots, I understand, but what are you talking about when you say only NY/New England dems revere Boston Tea party or Boston Massacre? Only those dems appreciate American Revolution? Don't you appreciate it?

Putting down riots, I understand, but what are you talking about when you say only NY/New England dems revere Boston Tea party or Boston Massacre? Only those dems appreciate American Revolution? Don't you appreciate it?
I definitely appreciate the history of the American Revolution /The Boston Massacre and why it came about... What occurred in Newark , Detroit and several other cities was much different ...The '67 Riots came about through years of racial discord and a lack of investment into a crumbling brick and mortar society... I can only talk about the city Newark and the collapse of what once was a viable business , educational and wonderful place to live and grow...the towns which bordered Newark at the time , Irvington, East Orange, Hillside were directly impacted...The area known as the Central Ward felt the greatest impact from this civil uprising which has still not recovered...The same is true for the other "rust belt " mid west city, Detroit...It has only been the past 10 years where some semblance of rebirth has begun in Newark... It should be noted it is not just the white corrupt politicians from the 50-60's but black corrupt politicians who lead Newark to a 50 year mess... The riots main issues then are still around...it is a societal lack of concern... When the most corrupt state in the Union finally removes the ilk that govern's it's cities and towns then and only then can a place like Newark truly return to those glory days...BTW : After seeing the early trailers on the '67 riots don't be surprised if those inner cities ignite once more...hope not but most my age will not run out to see a propaganda film.

This thread belongs in the racist banter ...I mean "Current Events" forum.

I definitely appreciate the history of the American Revolution /The Boston Massacre and why it came about... What occurred in Newark , Detroit and several other cities was much different ...The '67 Riots came about through years of racial discord and a lack of investment into a crumbling brick and mortar society... I can only talk about the city Newark and the collapse of what once was a viable business , educational and wonderful place to live and grow...the towns which bordered Newark at the time , Irvington, East Orange, Hillside were directly impacted...The area known as the Central Ward felt the greatest impact from this civil uprising which has still not recovered...The same is true for the other "rust belt " mid west city, Detroit...It has only been the past 10 years where some semblance of rebirth has begun in Newark... It should be noted it is not just the white corrupt politicians from the 50-60's but black corrupt politicians who lead Newark to a 50 year mess... The riots main issues then are still around...it is a societal lack of concern... When the most corrupt state in the Union finally removes the ilk that govern's it's cities and towns then and only then can a place like Newark truly return to those glory days...BTW : After seeing the early trailers on the '67 riots don't be surprised if those inner cities ignite once more...hope not but most my age will not run out to see a propaganda film.
Sharpe James was the BEST mayor Newark's ever had!

The movie about the riots, simply entitled "Detroit", opens to wide distribution on Thursday. 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I was born in the North Ward and raised there and in Belleville and we had a North Ward Citizens Committee lead by a guy named Anthony Imperiale who rallied the area in cars with citizen soldiers protecting our part of the city/area.. my dad was a truck driver whose boss had him put a "soul brother" sign in his windshield and my dad was a rough dude...no fear...2 years afterward I joined the Corps...lotsa heroin brought into the McCarter Hwy projects soon afterward by the "country boys" Lucas clan was circulating the area from Asia soon after cutting out the Italian mob...

Admittedly Imperiale was known as a rabblerouser and bigot by many...
I was born in the North Ward and raised there and in Belleville and we had a North Ward Citizens Committee lead by a guy named Anthony Imperiale who rallied the area in cars with citizen soldiers protecting our part of the city/area.. my dad was a truck driver whose boss had him put a "soul brother" sign in his windshield and my dad was a rough dude...no fear...2 years afterward I joined the Corps...lotsa heroin brought into the projects soon afterward by the "country boys" Lucas clan was circulating the area from Asia soon after cutting out the Italian mob...

E
But the downtown area looks much better and safer lately...Newark was always a rough town.Dutch Schultz was murdered there early 30s.....

Maybe Samuel Adams was to liberal for them and they think all ( including Sam) of the Founding Fathers are Libitards [laughing][winking]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT