ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Airfares to Europe through the roof! $$

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
Was looking to rebook a trip to Belgium for the 3rd time. Looked at moving it from the first week of April to the middle of July. The April outdoor event I was going to see, Tour de Flanders, will go on without fans allowed. Figured by July things we be much more open. I guess so did everyone else. Airfare for April (and last Sept) was almost $600. Airfare for July $1,700!! Almost triple!!

• Wow
Reactions: MrsScrew
Airlines have received billions to be kept from going bankrupt during COVID. I'm wondering how they treated mgmt bonus while getting free money form the govt? Who and how will that money need to be repaid?

Well Delta is not paying executive bonuses until contributions to the employees profit sharing plans are reinstated. And they took salary cuts earlier this year.

Was looking to rebook a trip to Belgium for the 3rd time. Looked at moving it from the first week of April to the middle of July. The April outdoor event I was going to see, Tour de Flanders, will go on without fans allowed. Figured by July things we be much more open. I guess so did everyone else. Airfare for April (and last Sept) was almost $600. Airfare for July $1,700!! Almost triple!!
That is fairly typical. Summer fares to Europe are almost always sky high,

I have been to Aruba many times and have often seen price fluctuations

Typically if you are looking at fares 10 months out it could be $1200 a ticket or more
If you wait the price drops down to $425 or so,

This has happened enough times for me to think it is standard with United

Reactions: BLewis1968
Wait until Covid truly ends(at least in most peoples minds), demand will go through the roof as people will want to get away. There will not be enough supply to meet that demand at first with all the planes mothballed along with Pilots that were furloughed or in need of hours to get current(pilots need x amount of hours to be able to legally carry passengers)

I have flown a couple of times domestically over the past two months and the prices were cheap as hell.

Reactions: Jm0513
Same here. Have been back and forth to FL multiple times and cheaper than ever, on both United and JetBlue for me. Just booked on United for end of April for $150 round trip.
Same here had trip cancelled last April to Sarasota. Have used the refund credit to book 2 trips, 1 to Orlando and one to Sarasota and still have a small balance.

Reactions: MulletCork
WhiteBus
The airlines see you like a dope boy and we know a dope boy gets robbed all the time:

giphy.gif

Also cruise bookings way up with prices increasing rapidly. Must be all the seniors that have been vaccinated.

Is that a direct flight to Brussels? Brussels is very expensive. Not so much when connecting through Frankfurt or Heathrow.
British Airways/American PHL/LHR/BRU.
No direct flights from Philly. Through Heathrow is the fastest 1 stop flight.

Norwegian is no longer doing transatlantic flights. And I am sure they are not the only ones. Which airlines did you have it with?
British Airways/American. Schedule flights the same as when I first booked. Leave PHL 6:40pm through Heathrow land BRU 10:30 next morning. Actually more airlines available now than a year ago but this is the shortest 1 stop flight.

I don't know the exact dates but a quick scan of Google Flights shows nonstop flights at $796 from either JFK or EWR to Brussels in July.

Seems like the problem is Philly.

And $796 ain't bad for a nonstop flight in the summer to a more infrequent airport. I have paid around $5-600 for Paris in May and $900s for Spain in August. Croatia in June I used miles but would have been well over a grand.

I doubt a car both ways from Philly area to JFK or EWR would run a grand.

I don't know the exact dates but a quick scan of Google Flights shows nonstop flights at $796 from either JFK or EWR to Brussels in July.

And $796 ain't bad for a nonstop flight in the summer to a more infrequent airport. I have paid around $5-600 for Paris in May and $900s for Spain in August. Croatia in June I used miles but would have been well over a grand.

Was thinking about looking at Paris as I was going to the final of the Tour de France for the day. Roundtrip train to Brussels.
Have zero desire to go through JFK. That ride sucks from here. Plus I'm 5 mins from PHL.

Same here had trip cancelled last April to Sarasota. Have used the refund credit to book 2 trips, 1 to Orlando and one to Sarasota and still have a small balance.
Same here, been back and forth probably 8x in last 3-4 mos. All flights cheap as hell. In Fla now headed back to Jersey Fri. Coming back down on the 8th to hit a Mets game on the 9th. Back home the 10th. $38 round trip.

Found cheaper non stop flights than JFK from Newark to both Brussels and Paris. Newark is much easier to get to from Philadelphia.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Primary cost of airlines is Fuel/J-3.

Gas goes up, pricing goes up.

Car gas now up all over USA. Approx every .50 cents per gallon increase it costs the average car owner $200.
Enjoy.

Uber is about $150

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Primary cost of airlines is Fuel/J-3.

Gas goes up, pricing goes up.

Car gas now up all over USA. Approx every .50 cents per gallon increase it costs the average car owner $200.
Enjoy.
Yup. Crude prices have doubled since the election and with the Keystome pipeline shut down they're only going to go higher.

Looks like prices jumped over the weekend from JFK and Newark.

Refineries shut down in Texas during deep freeze which reduced supplies of refined product across the US.

Get used to this. Business travel is likely going to see a permanent impairment post-Covid. These seats have always been the most profitable ones for airlines. They are going to need to make up this difference on the leisure travelers and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Reactions: BigWill
Get used to this. Business travel is likely going to see a permanent impairment post-Covid. These seats have always been the most profitable ones for airlines. They are going to need to make up this difference on the leisure travelers and it ain't gonna be pretty.
The airline industry has been eating off the consulting and sales industries for so long that it'll be a serious adjustment once the reality of a post-covid working world hits.

How does this affect prices in July or for the rest of the year?

The current spike in gasoline prices (and jet fuel) should be temporary as far as the Texas situation goes. But with the stimulus and strong pent up travel demand, you can expect flight costs to continue to move up, especially if the vaccine is efficiently distributed before peak summer travel (aggressive?).

Gas prices aren't "spiking", they are INCREASING because of the politics of supply and demand in the current Executive Orders from 1600.

You will be seeing $ 5 a gallon gas in some States by this summer. IMO Calif, Wash, Oregon are heading there now.

ADVERTISEMENT