ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Alabama backup QB transfer

RUchip

All Conference
Oct 15, 2010
5 star redshirt freshmen Blake Barnett to transfer out of Alabama. The California native is only a redshirt freshmen and he started vs USC, but he lost the starting job for 3.5 games. He ran the spread out of HS and initially committed to Notre Dame as was the #2 QB behind UCLA's Josh Rosen.

Side note he's engaged to a professional surfer chick who is from and currently lives in New Jersey.

He should have gone to USC but another CA QB committed first forcing him to look elsewhere and then ended up in Alabama.

Knowing our luck with CA QBs maybe we pass ...

Can i be the first to say...do you think we have a chance?

I just want to say it so no one else will

can he get a hardship exemption on a transfer?
Hardship? yes.
2BDB7AEF00000578-0-image-a-16_1441064275776.jpg

I don't know.....we have Laviano and he has this year and next year.....(sarcasm of course)....if there is a way.....Yes please....

Reactions: RUchip
5 star redshirt freshmen Blake Barnett to transfer out of Alabama. The California native is only a redshirt freshmen and he started vs USC, but he lost the starting job for 3.5 games. He ran the spread out of HS and initially committed to Notre Dame as was the #2 QB behind UCLA's Josh Rosen.

Side note he's engaged to a professional surfer chick who is from and currently lives in New Jersey.

And even if he came here, Laviano would still start due to his performance during practice

He should have gone to USC but another CA QB committed first forcing him to look elsewhere and then ended up in Alabama.

Knowing our luck with CA QBs maybe we pass ...
That's funny - ended up at Alabama. Would have been funnier if it was as a walk-on. We should have such luck.

Because the last 2 big QB transfers worked out so well. It's got to work out eventually? Is that the theory?

Reactions: eceres
Because the last 2 big QB transfers worked out so well. It's got to work out eventually? Is that the theory?
On top of that do you think it would be a great idea to bring in a drop back passer for a offense that features a mobile qb? For that reason I doubt Barnett even gives Rutgers a look.

Maybe this Blake will really have "it" this time. :rolleyes:

RU seems to have a long history of not getting or developing decent QB's. Looks like we are not too great at getting kickers either.

A nnnnn

And kick Oden and Lewis to the curb? At some point we just have to develop the talent we get. But I'm all for a RU women's surfing team.

We should have Rettig, a former 4 star California QB transfer, recruit him.
On second though....

Realistically, he and his fiance probably met in California. He'll probably go to college out there. That being said, I'm sure Ash and co will give him a call.

Last edited:
For people saying we failed with transfers in the past so dont try again that is absurd. Should we stop recruiting Florida too because a lot of them transfer? I am sure the presense of Rettig who does not fit this offense wont deter Ash in he wants him. I guess other schools didnt get the memo that you dont take qb transfers. We need talent at all positions period.

While I usually agree with transfers not panning out. This kid was a 5 star. He started the first game this year but Bama's true freshmen is a stud. Wherever he will be the starter.

The last thing we need is another QB on our roster who can't properly run our offense so, unless he ran a spread or power option - whatever you want to call it - in high school, then this is a "pass" IMHO.

Just love these threads. Every transfer, every time should come to Rutgers. Laughable. And sad at the same time.

Reactions: drewbagel423
ADVERTISEMENT