ADVERTISEMENT

OT -- am retiring from Rutgers

2 more years for me. I want to travel more. I Like my current job, not my immediate manager.

Reactions: hankee18

Well, I'm not entirely in agreement that it's as dire as you suggest.

You definitely have to spend money to fix the boat. But if you bought a vacation house on a lake somewhere, you'd have to spend money to fix that, too. So for me, it's a wash.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Well, I'm not entirely in agreement that it's as dire as you suggest.

You definitely have to spend money to fix the boat. But if you bought a vacation house on a lake somewhere, you'd have to spend money to fix that, too. So for me, it's a wash.
I will admit it is tough to see the world from the back deck of a lake house, so the boat definitely has that going for it.

I've decided that 33 years -- half my life -- of being a professor is enough, and that this will be my last semester in the classroom. I just want to do other things with my remaining life.
Camden, the best to you. Are you planning on staying on the east cost or coming back to California?

I've always enjoyed our correspondences here on the ACADEMIC board, and I hope you continue to do so. I've always admired your points of view. Anyway, best of luck to you.

Congratulations. Thank you for your service to RU and good luck in your next adventure.

Congrats!

I am jealous. I am at least a decade away from retirement but I am already looking forward to it. :D

I've decided that 33 years -- half my life -- of being a professor is enough, and that this will be my last semester in the classroom. I just want to do other things with my remaining life.
Good luck! 33 years is a long time, and you must have enjoyed being a law professor. You made it through some lean years starting in 2008.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and best wishes for enjoying your newly found free time by living your life to the fullest. Hope to see you continue posting on these boards.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Finster Baby
My dad retired from Rutgers two years ago. Was teaching there for 45 years. Congratulations.

Two words, Camden: New Zealand

Seriously, congratulations on your decision! And please do consider New Zealand as a stop on your world tour.

You are way older than I had you pictured (not as old as me, but I figured you were about 40!).

I think about retirement. Moms Skillethead is backing down to .35 soon and she is five years younger than me. But I still like doing what I'm doing and the University seems to appreciate my contributions!

My older brother retired from Kent State about 4 years ago. He'd been editor of the Akron Beacon Journal before becoming a prof about 25 years ago. He stayed retired for about 3 years and now he's the Public Defender for a county near Kent State. Didn't like the retired life!

Sounds like you are looking for something else do other than being a world traveler bum! It's all out there. Have a great time exploring options. My brother is loving defending people who have no other option for counsel, and he is super good at it.

Me? I'm actually writing from a resort lounge in Moorea right now (part of Tahiti -- where the Bali Hai mountain is). Pretty nice, but I'm not really a sun and sand guy.

2rdetnc.jpg

May I ask your name? I graduated from Rutgers-Camden in 1987. Perhaps you were one of my professors.

Congrats - I retired from RU 14 years ago thanks to early out from Gov. McSleazy

Congrats!! You'll have to tell us how you like it. I'm about 75% sure I'm going to take a package this year and retire, also, after 30 years. I still like my job and my boss, but I've been thinking that I want to enjoy some years where I'm (hopefully) still fairly healthy - especially having had a few close friends die in the past year or two at my age or younger. The old saying probably applies: nobody ever was on their death bed wishing they had worked more.

Reactions: RUpop
Congrats. Bac's 100,000 post standard can be a new bucket list goal for you now.

Reactions: ATIOH
ADVERTISEMENT