ADVERTISEMENT

OT -- am retiring from Rutgers

Congratulations CLP from a native but now former South Jerseyite (Merchantville, Haddon Heights, and Haddonfield). I've always enjoyed your posts and hope you continue on the board.

I retired 8 years ago, love it and the time has just flown. Don't miss working one bit. Hope you have a similar experience!

There's still time!

In just a few million years, this lovely piece of real estate, right here, will be the northern Sea of Cortez, with stunning beachfront property on either side.

Saltonseadrainagemap.jpg

No need to wait for geology, when we have global warming and polar ice caps melting. That cabin in Maine that's now at 235 feet will be oceanfront property at an elevation of 5 feet and will have a climate like Savannah's in just 5-10 years. :>)

No need to wait for geology, when we have global warming and polar ice caps melting. That cabin in Maine that's now at 235 feet will be oceanfront property at an elevation of 5 feet and will have a climate like Savannah's in just 5-10 years. :>)

There's an interesting dynamic that science isn't real focused on, at the moment.

Let's say, just for shits and giggles, that the entirety of Antarctica were to melt. All the ice, every last piece of it.

Now, that would take some pretty toasty temperatures, but we're spitballing here, right? So just go with it.

The overall weight of the polar ice pack on the continent itself is enormous. I'd say "incalculable", but I'm certain that some dork has already given it the ol' college try, so there's probably a rough order of magnitude number out there, somewhere.

Take that weight off the continent and you get what amounts to a rebound effect. A certain portion of the continent's bottom end, currently dunked in the mantle by the weight of all that ice, pooches up. This sort of thing is always affects the localized plate structure in a big way, causing various accelerated motions and new rifts - along with the associated seismic and volcanic activity, of course.

The net effect would be greater, overall, than the effect of the sea level rise.

yup....started working for Middlesex County Court House when I was 14! (summers)...and 2 jobs when I was young. I think there are a ton of us knowing that 60+ work week....the deceleration is a factor. I actually going to start a part-time (paid) project for 16 weeks in addition to the jury duty. But you know what...after 4 months now I am not as excited about it. (kinda what other folks said would happen).

CPG....my wife would say you could stop at #2 and gas...excluding the perfect part lol.

Consumer Products Group....Pepsico, Kraft, and Mondelez International (Confections Division)

...oh, and re-join a band (drums)

RU class of 84 and you're 59? I assume you took a few years off to work (I'm the same class and am 55)? lol on CPG - figured it was something like that. Good to hear you and a few others in this thread are enjoying the free time, but keeping busy. Plenty of rockers our age still playing!

There's an interesting dynamic that science isn't real focused on, at the moment.

Let's say, just for shits and giggles, that the entirety of Antarctica were to melt. All the ice, every last piece of it.

Now, that would take some pretty toasty temperatures, but we're spitballing here, right? So just go with it.

The overall weight of the polar ice pack on the continent itself is enormous. I'd say "incalculable", but I'm certain that some dork has already given it the ol' college try, so there's probably a rough order of magnitude number out there, somewhere.

Take that weight off the continent and you get what amounts to a rebound effect. A certain portion of the continent's bottom end, currently dunked in the mantle by the weight of all that ice, pooches up. This sort of thing is always affects the localized plate structure in a big way, causing various accelerated motions and new rifts - along with the associated seismic and volcanic activity, of course.

The net effect would be greater, overall, than the effect of the sea level rise.

Interesting - earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and flooding - dogs and cats living together - it'll be anarchy!

http://www.newsweek.com/nepal-earth...manmade-disaster-climate-change-brings-326017

Interesting - earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and flooding - dogs and cats living together - it'll be anarchy!

http://www.newsweek.com/nepal-earth...manmade-disaster-climate-change-brings-326017

More likely it would be The End.

Major geological events, particularly those associated with mass volcanism, are historically extinction events.

The thing to really worry about in the short term, while everyone is wringing their hands over climate change, is the Yellowstone Caldera. It's overdue. When it goes, it will be curtains.

I initially thought this thread was going to be about another deserter, climbing out of BigFrank’s foxhole.

However, seeing as you are actually retiring from a job, best wishes as you move on to the next stage of your life.

More likely it would be The End.

Major geological events, particularly those associated with mass volcanism, are historically extinction events.

The thing to really worry about in the short term, while everyone is wringing their hands over climate change, is the Yellowstone Caldera. It's overdue. When it goes, it will be curtains.

Probably not the End for everyone, as we all know every major government has disaster plans for the top government/military folks, so I'm guessing at least a few humans will survive, but it could certainly usher in the next mass extinction event. As I'm sure you know, this would be #7, if one counts the current Holocene mass extinction, resulting largely from mankind's impacts on the planet (some think it's already a mass extinction event, given extinctions are occurring at over 1000X the normal background extinction rate, since 1900, while others think it's "just" imminent).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Probably not the End for everyone, as we all know every major government has disaster plans for the top government/military folks, so I'm guessing at least a few humans will survive, but it could certainly usher in the next mass extinction event. As I'm sure you know, this would be #7, if one counts the current Holocene mass extinction, resulting largely from mankind's impacts on the planet (some think it's already a mass extinction event, given extinctions are occurring at over 1000X the normal background extinction rate, since 1900, while others think it's "just" imminent).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Most people don't know it, but New Jersey (sort of) has been a significant contributor to the mass extinction Hot 100.

The geological feature we know as the Newark Basin was formed about 220 million years ago, at the end of the Triassic, by the rifting of Pangea. The resulting volcanism ranks, at the least, #5 on the mass extinction hit parade.

The event is bookmarked by the Palisades Sill and the entire geological story of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge Volcanic Processes is told along the length of Interstate 80 in New Jersey.

Most people don't know it, but New Jersey (sort of) has been a significant contributor to the mass extinction Hot 100.

The geological feature we know as the Newark Basin was formed about 220 million years ago, at the end of the Triassic, by the rifting of Pangea. The resulting volcanism ranks, at the least, #5 on the mass extinction hit parade.

The event is bookmarked by the Palisades Sill and the entire geological story of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge Volcanic Processes is told along the length of Interstate 80 in New Jersey.
Cool stuff, thanks. While not a geologist, I find geology fascinating, and have read some on my own. I have this really cool book by David Harper (a signed copy, given to me as a gift) that I'm guessing is well known in NJ geology circles, called "Roadside Geology of NJ." Loaded with great graphics, pix and descriptions of the geology of NJ. And after you mentioned the Newark Basin I just went back to the book and there's 20+ pages on the Newark Basin.

Maybe there should be a separate thread on this, as we're kind of hijacking camden's thread - I'm about to post a thread about 2017 being the 2nd warmest year on record, not to be alarmist, but just because it's interesting scientifically; unfortunately, there are way too many people on this board who can't talk about climate without it getting politically polarized, so it'll probably get moved to the CE board.

I've decided that 33 years -- half my life -- of being a professor is enough, and that this will be my last semester in the classroom. I just want to do other things with my remaining life.
My 401k has exploded this past year which means I can retire early now. May be joining you soon.

RU class of 84 and you're 59? I assume you took a few years off to work (I'm the same class and am 55)? lol on CPG - figured it was something like that. Good to hear you and a few others in this thread are enjoying the free time, but keeping busy. Plenty of rockers our age still playing!
yes, paid my own way. took some time off and finished part time....actually Dec 83. Original Class of 81.

(or I could lie and say Masters Degree lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
I've decided that 33 years -- half my life -- of being a professor is enough, and that this will be my last semester in the classroom. I just want to do other things with my remaining life.
Congratulations. Now it's time to focus on having fun.

May I suggest hookers and blow?

Cool stuff, thanks. While not a geologist, I find geology fascinating, and have read some on my own. I have this really cool book by David Harper (a signed copy, given to me as a gift) that I'm guessing is well known in NJ geology circles, called "Roadside Geology of NJ." Loaded with great graphics, pix and descriptions of the geology of NJ. And after you mentioned the Newark Basin I just went back to the book and there's 20+ pages on the Newark Basin.

Maybe there should be a separate thread on this, as we're kind of hijacking camden's thread - I'm about to post a thread about 2017 being the 2nd warmest year on record, not to be alarmist, but just because it's interesting scientifically; unfortunately, there are way too many people on this board who can't talk about climate without it getting politically polarized, so it'll probably get moved to the CE board.

CE prediction came true, lol. Anyway, back to Geology. In case you (@RU4Real) hadn't seen this, pretty cool finding was just announced, where a piece of North America was found attached to Australia, from about 1.7 billion years ago, as part of the formation of the original supercontinent Nuna (sounds vaguely familiar to formation of a supergroup in R&R, lol).

https://www.livescience.com/61490-chunk-of-north-america-in-australia.html?utm_source=notification

CE prediction came true, lol. Anyway, back to Geology. In case you (@RU4Real) hadn't seen this, pretty cool finding was just announced, where a piece of North America was found attached to Australia, from about 1.7 billion years ago, as part of the formation of the original supercontinent Nuna (sounds vaguely familiar to formation of a supergroup in R&R, lol).

https://www.livescience.com/61490-chunk-of-north-america-in-australia.html?utm_source=notification

The way the plate tectonics folks move continents around over time can be dizzying. It's definitely hard to keep up with.

One of the long-running debates in structural geology relates to the extent of plate tectonics. Advocates say that virtually all mountain-building can be attributed to tectonic collision. Detractors say, "Not so fast..." The origin of the ancestral Appalachians was, for many years, a prime battleground.

Congratulations, Camden. Good luck in your in next chapter!

My job will end in the next 2-5 years. I think we have plenty of money, but my wife seems to go through it pretty fast and we have a son still in elementary school. I'd be interested in the insight of knowing when to hang it up. Right now, the money is too good and I am still aggressive. That could change as things wind down. How much is enough money? Do you leave the NYC area? What about family and friends? Most of my friends go back to junior high and basketball. Can I realistically expect to make new friends at Del Boca Vista? Is there any ethnic diversity at the Del Boca Vistas of the world or will I be will we be the only ones not working on a tan?

Congratulations Camden, enjoy!
Good-Knight, there are some online retirement calculators out there that run many possible simulations and outcomes against your input. I like firecalc.

Congratulations, wish we could have met while my son was at Camden. He did crew. The coxmen was from TheOSU and was at law schoschool at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT