ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Angus Gillespie

I didn't even know he was still around. He was co-author, many years ago, of a book about the NJ Turnpike. When I was at RU I interviewed him as a source for a term paper I wrote about the Pine Barrens. Great guy and a genuine New Jersey treasure.

He spoke at a luncheon for RU retirees a few years back - gave out free copies of his book, Twin Towers about the building of the WTC. Interesting speaker.

Had him for multiple classes...he and Michael Rockland both stars of that department. Good guy, glad he is still doing his thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
I picked a random elective freshman year, to fill out my schedule. It was one of Gillespie's courses. Sophomore year I made sure to select another one of his classes out of pure enjoyment of his lectures.

It was very comforting to me to see him on television interviews right after 9-11. About as apolitical yet fully knowledgeable a source as you could get on the subject, with the right balance of passion and Mister Rogers in his delivery.

Great central casting name for a professor.

And as mentioned, Rockland and him were some act.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
I didn't even know he was still around. He was co-author, many years ago, of a book about the NJ Turnpike. When I was at RU I interviewed him as a source for a term paper I wrote about the Pine Barrens. Great guy and a genuine New Jersey treasure.
Did your paper include a paragraph about the jersey devil, or piney power., or was it more ecology based? What class did this guy teach?

Did your paper include a paragraph about the jersey devil, or piney power., or was it more ecology based? What class did this guy teach?

I don't remember what class he taught, I didn't actually take any of his classes.

My paper, as I recall (it was 30 years ago) was much more focused on Pinelands ecology, for which I used John McPhee's book "Pine Barrens" as core material. There was a fair bit of folklore in it as well, since I was really trying to pay homage to McPhee's style, which is very much "science and history through anthropology".

Reactions: RutHut
Took his Jerseyana class based on nothing other than it seemed pretty interesting, fit into my schedule, and credits counted towards what I needed. Ended up being one of my lasting RU memories. Great professor!

Reactions: rurichdog

I took "American Folk Songs & Ballads" with him. He was in the American Studies department, if I remember correctly. It was a great class and he seemed like a good guy.

I read it decades ago, but I enjoyed "Looking for America on the NJ Turnpike".

He's one of the reasons I wish I could have a do-over on electives. It never occurred to me to take an American Studies class. His "Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike" is a terrific book and a very easy read. Makes you appreciate the road's place in history and what it symbolizes about post-war culture. And it was fun, too.
McPhee's book is an NJ classic. Wish more people in the state would take an interest in such work.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT