ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Announcer's Pronunciation Of Rutgers: Plural / Possessive

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I'm tired of hearing announcers inadvertently (probably most of the time) or deliberately(e.g. Matt Millen...a whirling dervish of malaprops / biased misinformation) disrespecting Rutgers.

Possessive (also see Plurals and Possessives on page 26): a. Use an apostrophe only with the word “Rutgers.” Do not add an extra “s.”
Example: Rutgers' chess team was founded in 1768. b. When used as a possessive, i.e., with an apostrophe after the “s,” the word “Rutgers' ” is never preceded by “the.”

I also liked in the example above the admonition that Rutgers is never preceded by the "the".

R U listening Ohio State...?

MO

I'm tired of hearing announcers inadvertently (probably most of the time) or deliberately(e.g. Matt Millen...a whirling dervish of malaprops / biased misinformation) disrespecting Rutgers.

Possessive (also see Plurals and Possessives on page 26): a. Use an apostrophe only with the word “Rutgers.” Do not add an extra “s.”
Example: Rutgers' chess team was founded in 1768. b. When used as a possessive, i.e., with an apostrophe after the “s,” the word “Rutgers' ” is never preceded by “the.”

I also liked in the example above the admonition that Rutgers is never preceded by the "the".

R U listening Ohio State...?

MO
It's forgivable because in other parts of speech, proper names ending with the letter s are given an apostrophe and an s. Example: "After walking through the Sinai and up and down the mountain, Moses's legs were probably tired." So it is with Colonel Rutgers: "Henry Rutgers's donation to the university was its saving grace, and eventually led to the re-hiring of Greg Schiano." The rule is ordinarily that the terminal letter of one's name is irrelevant as to whether an apostrophe and an s are added, so when applied to what may seem in certain contexts to be a collective noun, such as Rutgers, it can be a bit confusing.

When talking about "Maryland's offensive line," the apostrophe and s are appropriate, so I would apply the same rule to Rutgers--hence, "Rutgers's offensive line." But we are so accustomed to inserting the definite article when making a point that the formality disappears; it thus becomes "...the Maryland offensive line" and "...the Rutgers offensive line,' so even though your original point is correct, the confusion is understandable and even tolerable, more tolerable than Millen's homerism.

Reactions: RUnTeX
In the 19th century, it wasn't uncommon to see Rutgers written as "Rutger's" when using the possessive form. I don't know if that was deliberate or not, just that it occurred with some frequency. In fact, here's how a Jersey City newspaper reported the box score of the November 6, 1869 inaugural football game between Rutgers and Princeton:

Innings

Rutger’s 1st 3rd 5th 6th 9th 10th

Princeton 2nd 4th 7th 8th

It's forgivable because in other parts of speech, proper names ending with the letter s are given an apostrophe and an s. Example: "After walking through the Sinai and up and down the mountain, Moses's legs were probably tired." So it is with Colonel Rutgers: "Henry Rutgers's donation to the university was its saving grace, and eventually led to the re-hiring of Greg Schiano." The rule is ordinarily that the terminal letter of one's name is irrelevant as to whether an apostrophe and an s are added, so when applied to what may seem in certain contexts to be a collective noun, such as Rutgers, it can be a bit confusing.

When talking about "Maryland's offensive line," the apostrophe and s are appropriate, so I would apply the same rule to Rutgers--hence, "Rutgers's offensive line." But we are so accustomed to inserting the definite article when making a point that the formality disappears; it thus becomes "...the Maryland offensive line" and "...the Rutgers offensive line,' so even though your original point is correct, the confusion is understandable and even tolerable, more tolerable than Millen's homerism.
I agree with everything except your premise...and Millen's homerism, lack of professionalism and open contempt of Rutgers thus magnifying his beloved Penn State (e.g. re.: Vedral " he runs like a girl").

Stated another way: No!

MO

In the 19th century, it wasn't uncommon to see Rutgers written as "Rutger's" when using the possessive form. I don't know if that was deliberate or not, just that it occurred with some frequency. In fact, here's how a Jersey City newspaper reported the box score of the November 6, 1869 inaugural football game between Rutgers and Princeton:

Innings

Rutger’s 1st 3rd 5th 6th 9th 10th

Princeton 2nd 4th 7th 8th

So you're saying if we dropped the "s" and added an apostrophe then the "s" our overall record would be different...and we'd be treated with R E S P E C T ?

MO

I agree with everything except your premise...and Millen's homerism, lack of professionalism and open contempt of Rutgers thus magnifying his beloved Penn State (e.g. re.: Vedral " he runs like a girl").

Stated another way: No!

MO
Well since you put it that way.... :-)

Reactions: RutgersMO
THE Rutgers University. Why should the poisonous nuts be the only ones to over emphasize this definite article...

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Rutgers possessive is properly Rutgers’s
NYT style book has a big thing about words ending in a a while back.

Rutgers possessive is properly Rutgers’s
NYT style book has a big thing about words ending in a a while back.

If you like music or play an instrument you'll get this: it sounds wrong...thru usage words are incorporated into our lexicon (e.g. Google) and grammar is modified.

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT