ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ANNUAL FAVORITE THANKSGIVING FOOD POLL

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving food?

• Total voters
Do yourselves a favor:

Instead if the old “green been casserole” whip up a dish full of Greek Style Green Beans (Fasoulakia) I Finally made them myself last week - for a friendsgiving party, and they were an absolute hit - after years of only slobbering down multiple bowls at holiday parties and gatherings! I love this recipe, and with my mothers advice added both a chicken and a beef bouillon cube. Make with or without the potato:

https://www.olivetomato.com/greek-style-green-beans-fasolakia-lathera/

the next day for your leftovers make some Thanksgiving in a Blanket
take some crescent roll dough and cut apart the triangles
layer:
schemer of mashed potato
stuffing
shredded turkey
cranberry sauce

roll it all up. brush with an egg wash and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

serve with gravy to dip into

We're hosting and my wife, who is a great cook but has become annoyingly healthy about it, tried to substitute Brussels sprouts for green bean casserole and carrots for sweet potatoes. I convinced her on the green beans and had to go behind her back and tell my sister to bring the sweet potatoes.

We're hosting and my wife, who is a great cook but has become annoyingly healthy about it, tried to substitute Brussels sprouts for green bean casserole and carrots for sweet potatoes. I convinced her on the green beans and had to go behind her back and tell my sister to bring the sweet potatoes.

There is a time and a place for those healthy substitutions on the menu and Thanksgiving isn't it!

I'm a big fan of the mashed potatoes but I do them a bit differently than most on Thanksgiving. Instead of boiling them, then draining, etc., we cook them sous vide style. They go into a bag with butter, milk, cream and salt and cook in a water bath for a few hours. Then they get mashed and baked for a bit to get a nice crust on top.

I'm glad the old posts save now. I waiver between stuffing and mashed potatoes as my favorite every year. I wonder if I voted differently in the past.

Reactions: bac2therac
Fowl grosses me out - I don't even like to look at them.
odd.. but totally understandable... for me i prefer lean meats like poultry... to each his own.. thinkin about raising chickens myself, fresh eggs and fresh chicken

odd.. but totally understandable... for me i prefer lean meats like poultry... to each his own.. thinkin about raising chickens myself, fresh eggs and fresh chicken

I don't want to derail this thread but definitely do it! We have 4 chickens, my inlaws have about 15, and a few other friends have between 4 - 25 each. Their care is relatively easy and having nice fresh eggs on a daily basis is great. If you need any tips or resources, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: R1776U
I don't want to derail this thread but definitely do it! We have 4 chickens, my inlaws have about 15, and a few other friends have between 4 - 25 each. Their care is relatively easy and having nice fresh eggs on a daily basis is great. If you need any tips or resources, feel free to PM me.
absolutely... will do!.. the cool thing is that one of my sisters already has chickens and she'd be more than willing to let some of the eggs hatch so i'd be starting out with fresh chicks.. i think she has like 10 right now.. so getting some younglings and a couple a couple grown ones would not be an issue at all

EDIT: also if i do that, i'm prolly gonna start a decent sized garden to grow veggies

We have 50 on our small farm. We sell eggs and I can't keep them in stock. We free range and have Great Pyrenees dogs to protect from hawks. As you have to watch out for them mainly during migrating season They also have a fenced in pen. We made 4" PVC pipe feeders so feeding is once a week.

Best thing they put themselves to bed. Just shut the door on the pen when they're in the coops and open in the morning. Another benefit you'll never have bugs or ticks in your yard again.

Just remember store bought eggs aren't free range like the package says and brown eggs aren't healthier for you. That's just a breed of chicken that lays them. I have all types of colors. And my yolks are actually orangeish not yellow.

Last edited:
Brussels Sprouts, cut in quarters cooked with bacon slowly on the stovetop. Almost has the consistency of Cole slaw. Nice side dish.
Creamed peas and onions or celery. Goes great with stuffing.
Sometimes we have a Waldorf salad as an extra dish. Seems to go with turkey or chicken.

good job...Thanksgiving comes once a year...its a feast, a day to indulge, leave the healthy eating for other days of the week

We have 50 on our small farm. We sell eggs and I can't keep them in stock. We free range and have Great Pyrenees dogs to protect from hawks. As you have to watch out for them mainly during migrating season They also have a fenced in pen. We made 4" PVC pipe feeders so feeding is once a week.

Best thing they put themselves to bed. Just shut the door on the pen when they're in the coops and open in the morning. Another benefit you'll never have bugs or ticks in your yard again.

Just remember store bought eggs aren't free range like the package says and brown eggs aren't healthier for you. That's just a breed of chicken that lays them. I have all types of colors. And my yolks are actually orangeish not yellow.

Nice, are you in NJ? I had one hawk swoop in for my birds, I guess his eyes weren't sharp enough to notice the cage around the side of the coop and he slammed into it. The chickens and hawk made some fun noises during that ordeal lol. The hawk flew and sat on my deck for a few minutes after that, it is easy to forget how big those birds are when they are circling up in the sky. I need to upgrade my pvc feeder a bit. It only holds 2 days worth of feed.

Our yolks tend to be darker yetllow\orange color too. Do you give your birds scraps? Foods high in xanthophylls can lead to those nice orange yolks (leafy greens like nasty kale, spinach, collards, among other things). Nothing beats cracking a nice fresh egg open into a pan for breakfast. You can cheat your way to oranger yolks with corn as well but that is of limited dietary value to your birds.

I've never liked it. Parents used to do it "in bird", and never liked it. Once I got out on my own, I tried it a bunch of times, since all stuffings are different. I never found one I've ever liked. In bird, out of bird, stovetop boxed stuff, you name it. Never had any appetite for it.

My wife loves it, and prepares it outside of the bird. I'm in charge of the turkey, so it doesn't get stuffed - aside from an onion, some celery sticks, and some seasonings (that all basically just drip into the gravy).

My thanksgiving staples are: turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, and cornbread. My wife also makes Stovetop stuffing, but I don't eat it. Other stuff I can take or leave, and will sometimes rotate in and out of the menu by year. (This year, my wife has added in some homemade mac and cheese, sweet and sour meatballs, and cornbread pudding)

Nice, are you in NJ? I had one hawk swoop in for my birds, I guess his eyes weren't sharp enough to notice the cage around the side of the coop and he slammed into it. The chickens and hawk made some fun noises during that ordeal lol. The hawk flew and sat on my deck for a few minutes after that, it is easy to forget how big those birds are when they are circling up in the sky. I need to upgrade my pvc feeder a bit. It only holds 2 days worth of feed.

Our yolks tend to be darker yetllow\orange color too. Do you give your birds scraps? Foods high in xanthophylls can lead to those nice orange yolks (leafy greens like nasty kale, spinach, collards, among other things). Nothing beats cracking a nice fresh egg open into a pan for breakfast. You can cheat your way to oranger yolks with corn as well but that is of limited dietary value to your birds.
Yes our hobby farm is in Howell, We have a fruit orchard with figs, apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, and persimmons. We also do eggs(no meat birds), kune kune pigs(smaller pigs with waddles, good eating) and are about to expand into Miniature Scottish Highland cattle(for sale, or eating very good). Everything sells well.

Our birds and pigs mostly free range. The chickens have access to 3 acres(orchard included they eat dropped fruit). The more wooded area 2 acres is for the pigs and we're in the process of preparing the other 3 acres for the cattle. They get produce from Twin Pond Farms and Battle Creek Orchards(no table scraps). So they get plenty of produce(no corn), everyone hates kale no one will eat it.

We used to have a big problem with Cooper's Hawks. Those bastards are smaller but more maneuverable. They used to fly into the barn and get the hiding chickens. We finally were able to get our Great Pyrenees raised to the age where their instincts took over and guard everyone.(we have fox and coyotes as well in the area) Now they free range all year do to our no fly zone. Go to 4" PVC piping about 3' long with a 60 degree elbow end. We have 6 for feed and 1 for oyster shell. An entire bag of organic feed fits in the pipes.

Believe me I was never a farmer, just married one who graduated from RU with an Animal Science degree. You simply learn by trial and error and tips from others till you find what works best. O and there's no money in this thing, we both have our own jobs. We do it because we love it and love hearing feed back from what great food we provide people.

Reactions: ron313 and ATIOH
Turkey drum stick all the way, I feel like a caveman wielding it's power.

Other than that, I take a little of everything else.

Surprised she didn't go all out and do a Tofu Turkey. Big hit at Frank and Marie Barone's house .(Ray did order a complete Turkey dinner to be delivered)

Love sweet potatoes in general, had some really great ones at a work potluck thing today.

But I'm not sure I need them on Thanksgiving. I'd probably vote stuffing as the thing that makes Thanksgiving what it is. It's not something I really have a desire for most of the year, but if it's not on the table on Thanksgiving, it's definitely missed. Also so many different ways to take it. When my mother was alive, she made stuffing with apples and raisins in it, so that is a personal favorite of mine, and I never see anyone who makes it like that.

There's this corn pudding we discovered a few years back that's heavenly.

The bacon wrapped duck sounds wonderful.

Gravy, you put it on anything and it automatically tastes better.

I cheated this year, and have been ever since moving to Las Vegas and it's just the two of us. Let's just say that my cranberry sauce, ciabatta stuffing and maple-glazed carrots were all better than Martha Stewart's turkey and sides from QVC.

ADVERTISEMENT