ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Razor Thread

Nice. The Braun Series 9 looks amazing. My only concern is that I'm a daily shaver and how often I need to change the heads (which are expensive). I don't have very facial hair so that should help.

Does the shave with these electric razors get somewhat as close a Mach 3 type razor?
I don't intend to use it in the shower. I just don't see the point of doing that. You can't wash and shave
at the same time anyway. Since I just bought the S9 a few weeks ago I have no idea how long the heads last.
I do clean off my shaver every day or so and will do so with the S9.
The S9 replaced a S7 which I had changed the head twice since I bought it years ago. The last time I replaced the
head was August 2013. And I'm still using it on my drive to the gym a few times a week.

I hear this Harry's Razors advertised on Sirius. Have not tried it. But like the advertisement - two guys sick of being ripped off by the big companies (read Gillette) with their "latest and greatest" and decide to buy their own factory in Germany and sell quality razors at affordable prices over the internet.

As far as I am concerned, Gillette and the other two or three major players can stuff it. Seems like they monoplize shelf distribution in the retail outlets and jack up the prices year after year for ridiculous "innovations" nobody wants. (E.g, 7 blade titanium gel strip blah, blah, blah). Totally BS. DofJ should investigate for illegal collusion and price fixing. Where there is smoke, there probably is fire. IMHO. (I think Buffett owns Gillette- which makes sense since it is a cash cow).

How ya doin'?

Last edited:
Merkur safety razor. I sometimes miss the ease and convience of disposables but Once you get used to the single blade there are no issues. The build quality is top notch and blades are dirt cheap. You will save money over time.

I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger for years. Mach 3 cartridges were expensive and didn't last very long before my face would get irritated.

It took some time and experimentation before I found that Personna reds worked really well for me. They're not the cheapest blades, but the low-end brands (Astra, Wilkinson) were pretty rough going. I bought them by the 100's for next to nothing years ago and haven't spent any more money since.

Safety razor against the grain every other day when I'm at home.

Mach 3 when I travel.

currently a fusion razor guy...but those things are expensive and they seem not too last. Is there a cheaper alternative? I was looking at the mach 3, which is a bit cheaper. Looking for a durable razor blade that works well and won't cut my face like i'm bleeding scarlet red.

Love this...

s3_image.

With this...

smg_2b_soc_ash.jpg

And I’m fine with any type blade.

currently a fusion razor guy...but those things are expensive and they seem not too last. Is there a cheaper alternative? I was looking at the mach 3, which is a bit cheaper. Looking for a durable razor blade that works well and won't cut my face like i'm bleeding scarlet red.

Don't last? Razors get dull because the blades oxidize. After shaving, I clean the stubble from between the blades with an old toothbrush and then store the razor in a glass of water. I typically get 6 months to a year from a blade. Another option is to dry the blades after you've cleaned them.

Go back and forth between Harry's and Dollar shave club. I use soap and very hot water. Either works well.

This could have been written by me 6 months ago. Mach 3 is the best blade for the money, but those fusion blades are awful nice. I currently get both, probably use Mach 3 60% of the time, and then treat myself to a fusion. (Need to shave every day)

Reactions: FMT

0.12 per blade....single blade better than 3-4 blades ripping your skin

61Y2BLF6HFL._SX522_.jpg

Don't last? Razors get dull because the blades oxidize. After shaving, I clean the stubble from between the blades with an old toothbrush and then store the razor in a glass of water. I typically get 6 months to a year from a blade. Another option is to dry the blades after you've cleaned them.

I fully rinse out and then dry the blade surfaces with a towel (have never thought about storing in water but may try it out) but still don't get close to 6-12 months, more like 1-2 months.

My bigger issue is that the lubrication strip wears out after only 2-3 weeks (8-10 shaves) and it's a noticeable before/after difference in the glide across my skin once it's completely gone so I then switch out for a new blade.

Reactions: sherrane
I fully rinse out and then dry the blade surfaces with a towel (have never thought about storing in water but may try it out) but still don't get close to 6-12 months, more like 1-2 months.

My bigger issue is that the lubrication strip wears out after only 2-3 weeks (8-10 shaves) and it's a noticeable before/after difference in the glide across my skin once it's completely gone so I then switch out for a new blade.
+1. The helpful lubrication strips on Fusion razors wear out before the blades seriously dull. Unfortunately, I think that storing them in water would only makes things worse. But, it does seem like a good idea for standard blades. Maybe substitute rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide for water? I would think that the water and/or cup would get funky with just tap water.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I use them too and they last me a week to 2 weeks and I shave every day. I thank everyone who uses other cheaper brands because P&G has to compete I've actually noticed the price come down lately. Usually buy those big packs at Costco, use to be in the 40s-50s for them I think mid 30s now.

If I were to try an alternative Harry's (I use their body wash) looks good, made in Germany too.

I used dollar shave club until othe handle broke and went back to the bic slim twin disposables I used as a younger, poorer man. I’ll tell ya, the blades don’t get as close but the skinny head is way better at getting into the nooks and crannies. I get, maybe 3-4 shaves out of each one but a pack of a dozen costs about $6 bucks so who cares

Yes, the lubrication strip wears out much more quickly than the blades do. I started shaving before they were put on razors, so it doesn't bother me very much when they wear off. With that said, my last blade lasted 13 months and it was a noticeably better shave when I replaced it. You will likely replace your blades much more quickly than I do if you have sensitive skin.

I actually had a problem with my skin breaking out using a multi-blade type of razor. I thought it was caused by diet, like eating to many sugary food types or something. I told our family doctor about this on a visit years ago and he said not diet, switch to an electric razor. My skin cleared up in two days.

Are the Costco ones the same or some sub quality version that Costco gets in bulk.

Not knocking Costco, just I know they get things in bulk that are custom...great store btw

Are the Costco ones the same or some sub quality version that Costco gets in bulk.

Not knocking Costco, just I know they get things in bulk that are custom...great store btw
As far as I know they're the same. This is the one and actually the price shown has gone back to 55 bucks with 10 bucks off to 45 bucks. The last couple times I was in store though it was 35 or so not sure why it's been raised or if this is an online price or what. It's a 16 pack.

BTW a couple years ago bought a Samsung 65" KS8000 (it was slightly different model number but the same product) tv from Costco online, no issues and very happy with it. Just to give you an idea of a big ticket purchase let alone small things like this. The model numbers are different for some products but it's essentially the same thing as anywhere else. Manufacturers aren't specifically designing a different product for Costco or other clubs, they're just slapping a different model number on things.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100220107.html

EDIT: just saw this disclaimer and maybe that's why it's cheaper in store.

Item may be available in your local warehouse for a lower, non-delivered price.

Last edited:
I used dollar shave club until the handle broke ...
I had this happen a few times, but stuck with them because it was still a better shave than the Mach 3 I had been using for years. But they seem to have gotten the handle problem under control because I've been using the same one for a few years now and it's fine. I was breaking one every few months before that.

Dollar Shave Club. Shave twice a week.
You can buy the same blade from a store brand (like CVS brand) for less than the Dollar Shave Club. Just look for blades made in Korea ... they're the same ones made by Dorco (at least until Unilever decides to change suppliers).

You can buy the same blade from a store brand (like CVS brand) for less than the Dollar Shave Club. Just look for blades made in Korea ... they're the same ones made by Dorco (at least until Unilever decides to change suppliers).

Sounds like more work than just finding them in the mailbox. But thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT