ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another freezing rain threat tomorrow morning (1/9)...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Advisories are up for the potential for a light glaze of freezing rain for most counties in PA/NJ along and NE of 95 (counties in blue on the map) and up to 0.1" of ice for far NW NJ and the Poconos. We saw last week what even a lilght glaze can do, so be careful out on the roads tomorrow morning (7 am to about 1 pm).

phi.png

Reactions: goru1869
Well that ruins my ski day up at Hunter. No way I am driving in ice on the Thruway. For those that know the roads to Hunter, ice is no fun going through the mountain pass.

Reactions: hankee18
I do not see it happening in Philly. By the time it moves here it will well above freezing.

I do not see it happening in Philly. By the time it moves here it will well above freezing.
Well, most didn't see it happening in Philly, South Brunswick, NYC and areas NW of the 95 corridor (and even SE of it in NJ) on Wednesday, probably because we often get advisories for the risk of freezing rain which don't pan out at all, but the risk is there and people should check temps/precip before heading out tomorrow to be sure.

Also, the wording from the NWS is fairly concerning...

Unlike most warming winter precipitation events in our area, this
one will begin from the deep freeze. This means that the impacts of
freezing rain will likely be virtually immediate. Hazardous travel
may develop very quickly once precipitation begins, which will be
important to message for this event. Additionally, did expand the
advisory to New Castle County (despite lower confidence on icing
this far south), given the potential quick impacts to travel on the
I-95 corridor in northern Delaware should freezing rain occur.

Ice accumulations will likely range from a few hundredths of an inch
to a tenth or two in the advisory area. Locally higher amounts are
possible in the Poconos, where temperatures may not reach freezing
even by late afternoon. Precipitation may become drizzle by
afternoon, which will not impede ice accretion. However, a
changeover to pure drizzle and/or very light snow/flurries is
probable late in the day as stronger cooling aloft begins while
temperatures approach freezing near the surface. Temperatures in the
rest of the area should climb safely above freezing by mid
afternoon, with plain rain expected thereafter.

Well, most didn't see it happening in Philly, South Brunswick, NYC and areas NW of the 95 corridor (and even SE of it in NJ) on Wednesday, probably because we often get advisories for the risk of freezing rain which don't pan out at all, but the risk is there and people should check temps/precip before heading out tomorrow to be sure.
No it was more they ignored it because of the upcoming snow storm. Snow storms get eyeballs. Ice isn't sexy enough.

No it was more they ignored it because of the upcoming snow storm. Snow storms get eyeballs. Ice isn't sexy enough.
Not sure who "they" is, but I started posting about Wednesday's event 2 days in advance and after my thread got folded into someone else's, I started a new one on Tuesday, plus the NWS put the advisory out about 24 hours in advance when it became clear there was a risk - what more did you want done?

The city a
Not sure who "they" is, but I started posting about Wednesday's event 2 days in advance and after my thread got folded into someone else's, I started a new one on Tuesday, plus the NWS put the advisory out about 24 hours in advance when it became clear there was a risk - what more did you want done?
The city and the state did nothing before the storm. No salt no brine. I posted this in another thread and you commented on.

Advisories are up for the potential for a light glaze of freezing rain for most counties in PA/NJ along and NE of 95 (counties in blue on the map) and up to 0.1" of ice for far NW NJ and the Poconos. We saw last week what even a lilght glaze can do, so be careful out on the roads tomorrow morning (7 am to about 1 pm).

phi.png
Blue? Looks purple to me.

The city a

The city and the state did nothing before the storm. No salt no brine. I posted this in another thread and you commented on.
ok, thought you were talking about the forecasters/media (you mentioned eyeballs). Agree that pretreating highways and important secondary roads would have been good and should strongly be considered for tomorrow.

36 degrees in Philly at 7:30am. Philadelphia removed from warning. System won't hit Philly until 1pm ish and temps in the low 40s. Most of us are only getting rain.

36 degrees in Philly at 7:30am. Philadelphia removed from warning. System won't hit Philly until 1pm ish and temps in the low 40s. Most of us are only getting rain.
Advisories (not warnings) were also dropped for Delaware County and Mercer/Middelsex, with temps already above 32F. The advisories were kept for the next tier of counties, including Bucks, NW Montco and Hunterdon/Somerset until noon, where temps are still mostly at or below 32F and the rain is just entering Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex and is in NEPA, so it's going to get icy in NW areas this morning

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Just rain in Hamilton, it just started. That's a good thing freezing rain sucks!

1030 am: The attached image is our current winter weather advisory area with blue dots representing mPing reports of freezing rain/drizzle in the past six hours (as of 10:30 am). Lots of icing out there, particularly in the Poconos, Lehigh Valley, northwest NJ, and Berks County!

269730268_299784825507622_5551823724823564506_n.jpg

Pretty icy on the driveway and front walks where I am in Morris County. ( a 35 min drive from Rutgers Stadium) . Very liitle vehicle traffic out on the roads in my area this morning
No Bust here

Amazing how these storms seem to know where I-95 is
My Dad used say something similar about all those panther crossing signs in Florida…

“How do they know to cross here?”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT