ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Antonio Alfano Alabama, Enters transfer portal

The rest of this country is not like New Jersey.

This brought a smile to my face. Certainly, a lot of the rest of the country would agree with you.
I just don' know if this program needs to add what may well be a cancer to the program with all of the rest of our problems. Talent aside, you also need good chemistry.

This brought a smile to my face. Certainly, a lot of the rest of the country would agree with you.
I just don' know if this program needs to add what may well be a cancer to the program with all of the rest of our problems. Talent aside, you also need good chemistry.
Agreed. Funny thing is I see people on this board say we need to bring in the top players / choir boys or not. The top players often have baggage. When there is a chance to bring them here, they turn their noses up. If people on here say he's a bad dude, I would pass but at least hear the kid out.

I know nothing about his issues, but flat-out refusing to consider the 5th rated player in a recruiting class sounds like a mistake. Must do due diligence before you would take him in and set ground rules, but unless there are criminal issues, how do you not listen? Maybe he grows up in a year or two and becomes a stud for us.

100% you take him here. Antonio has been going to Rutgers games for many years. From what I know his father is also a fan of Rutgers. You can’t fault a top 5 player in the country for choosing Alabama but it didn’t work out there. If he wants to come back home, you welcome him with open arms. Obviously he has to do everything expected of him but it’s a no brainer.

100% you take him here. Antonio has been going to Rutgers games for many years. From what I know his father is also a fan of Rutgers. You can’t fault a top 5 player in the country for choosing Alabama but it didn’t work out there. If he wants to come back home, you welcome him with open arms. Obviously he has to do everything expected of him but it’s a no brainer.

How do you explain multiple high schools?

Agreed. Funny thing is I see people on this board say we need to bring in the top players / choir boys or not. The top players often have baggage. When there is a chance to bring them here, they turn their noses up. If people on here say he's a bad dude, I would pass but at least hear the kid out.
This^^^^^ Not only players but coaches too! I like Chris Ash, but the fact of the matter is so far(seasons not over yet) he has not been getting it done at Rutgers. If he is let go I am all for looking at Lance Leipold of the Buffalo Bulls. He has been a program builder and winner at every stop he has been in his coaching career. But we have a few asshats on this board who think we are going to be able to get and pay for an Urban Meyer caliber coach. I don't think that is happening until Rutgers has had many seasons of success on the field and Lance Leipold may be our best hope for that type of coach!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
How do you explain multiple high schools?
Many top players move high schools. I assume you are suggesting that he was kicked out. I’m not saying he is 100% innocent and it’s everyone else’s fault. But the kid as broken zero laws and never did anything Ethically wrong. So what is big deal? If he was a constant criminal, I would want noting to do with him. He missed class, according to his family, because of a sick grandmother. I dont care of that’s true or false. It’s not a big deal.

Many top players move high schools. I assume you are suggesting that he was kicked out. I’m not saying he is 100% innocent and it’s everyone else’s fault. But the kid as broken zero laws and never did anything Ethically wrong. So what is big deal? If he was a constant criminal, I would want noting to do with him. He missed class, according to his family, because of a sick grandmother. I dont care of that’s true or false. It’s not a big deal.

No. I was truly asking why. Difficulties with the coaches? Grades? Also, I posted before his father revealed his grandmother's illness so that clearly accounts for part of what's currently going on.

No. I was truly asking why. Difficulties with the coaches? Grades? Also, I posted before his father revealed his grandmother's illness so that clearly accounts for part of what's currently going on.
I don’t know him or his dad. I met them a few times through friends but very casually. The people I know believe he is a really good kid. That’s all I need.

Reactions: thegock
All you people so in the know....tell us what he has done without getting into details. Criminal activity? Harassment? Academics?

Imho, unless its criminal or legal stuff you don't shut this door. If so, that's a different story.

What the hell is he doing if he isn't going to classes or to practice?

lmfao has this ever worked out for us? how many castaways with character issues you gonna take before you smarten up?
This is a classic risk reward scenario. If it doesnt workout you move on. The worse result if doesnt work is some negative press from already negative press

If he did not commit a major crime, there will be a lot of blue blood programs looking to add him. What makes us think that he will join Rutgers?

From what I saw on his Rivals profile, both coaches who recruited him to Alabama are no longer at Alabama (Josh Gattis - Michigan OC and Craig Kuligowski - unemployed). Not sure of the recruiting coaches matter as much in football as basketball, but it could be part of the situation.

Didn't Nate Jones run back the opening kickoff against Tennessee and play for the Dallas Cowboys. ?

Nate was a very good player and seemingly a nice person from my interactions. Get his name out of this thread

Reactions: thegock
Pass. You don't sign up as a freshman at RU go transfer back to Temple. If the team doesn't hold the line on this crap kids are always going to go elsewhere and see if they can make it knowing they can always transfer back. F him.

D. Hester worked out pretty well for Rutgers football, as did Dill, the offensive tackle from Maryland that we had for a year under the previous coach.

I have a question for all the posters that said no. Did you watch the Iowa game? Did you see the 7 yard QB sneaks? If Chris Ash is not fired by the end of this year, he will probably be on the hot seat next year as well. Once again, I would work really hard to get this kid if I were in Ash's position (unless the kid committed a crime).

take him and roll the dice. Even if it’s another ahmirr Mitchell chances are the damage won’t be catastrophic.

I know nothing about his issues, but flat-out refusing to consider the 5th rated player in a recruiting class sounds like a mistake. Must do due diligence before you would take him in and set ground rules, but unless there are criminal issues, how do you not listen? Maybe he grows up in a year or two and becomes a stud for us.
I'm with you. Risky, but we need to take a chance.

Sounds like the only prayer we’d have of him coming here would be the desire to stay close to home. If he was really that shaken by his grandmother’s illness he may want to be close.

ADVERTISEMENT