ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Antonio Alfano Alabama, Enters transfer portal

Heavy contact with PSU. He’s either going to redshirt at Alabama or potentially end up in Happy Valley.

RU not in play. Kid is possibly a first round pick in three years but some of you are going to pass on him- yeaahhhh ok.
No surprise but still awfully disappointing...NFL-caliber recruits don't want to play for Ash. Schiano would have a shot with a guy at that talent level.

Heavy contact with PSU. He’s either going to redshirt at Alabama or potentially end up in Happy Valley.

RU not in play. Kid is possibly a first round pick in three years but some of you are going to pass on him- yeaahhhh ok.
Penn State will not touch that kid, trust me. State is at a point where they don’t need transfers like him.

To say we shouldn’t take this guy because Nate Robinson didn’t work out is by far the worst reason ever. That’s like saying we shouldn’t take a QB from Jackson HS because Tom Tarver had a bad year

If the best freshman in the country wants to come you take him unless he raped or killed someone
Agreed. Nate did play here and while not spectacular he did get on the field and contribute. I do not recall him getting into trouble but I could be wrong. It was a number of years ago.

My real question is if this kid has true 5 star talent...next question, where is his head at?

The 2nd part of the question carries a lot of red flags but since we have no idea being this outside...I would let player and coach work that out.
And only allow that to possibly happen if number one is true.

All of us love and care about our grandmothers, past and present.

But skipping classes and practices at Alabama over it? Why not just come home for some personal time with her before returning to school? I don’t get it.

Maybe he comes back to this area if his grandmothers health remains a concern. In that case I take him if available to RU.

From these two interviews it seems like Alfano is a well-adjusted kid, with a strong desire to be the best. In the NJ.com article he explains why he transferred from Bergen Catholic to Rahway and in the video why he committed to Alabama.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/08/exclusive_antonio_alfano_njs_top_2019_recruit_talk.html

He’s still a kid, with a ton of pressure on him - top recruit on the #2 ranked team, starting college, moving from NJ to Alabama, grandmother he lived with on life support. That’s a lot for an 18 year-old to handle.

psu would not take his committment in the spring of 18 . He supposedly had to meet an unspecified criteria by the end of summer '18. He chose to look elsewhere and committed to bama instead. Not sure what the psu relationship is today but usually those type of things don't circle back around.

Reactions: dontestrond
psu would not take his committment in the spring of 18 . He supposedly had to meet an unspecified criteria by the end of summer '18. He chose to look elsewhere and committed to bama instead. Not sure what the psu relationship is today but usually those type of things don't circle back around.
He not only didn’t meet the criteria, he gave them the bird while doing it.

He kinda looks like garay from rahway that played in the nfl .

I used to play basketball against Garays dad (who played for the Rams) in Rahway on Monday nights at one of their schools. Dude was 20 years older than me but his elbow and my nose were best friends. Took all my strength to try to stop him from backing me down.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I used to play basketball against Garays dad in Rahway on Monday nights at one of their schools. Dude was 20 years older than me but his elbow and my nose were best friends. Took all my strength to try to stop him from backing me down.

Yes, always great athletes . Lots of them were good in sports.

Reactions: RU_DIO
Two years ago I would have said “no f’ing way”.

Today I would drive down to Alabama to pick him up to bring up to P’way. Might even stop and get him a meal at every Chick-Fil-A along the way back up...

Two years ago I would have said “no f’ing way”.

Today I would drive down to Alabama to pick him up to bring up to P’way. Might even stop and get him a meal at every Chick-Fil-A along the way back up...

And the Star Ledger's headlinre would read:

"Rutger's Violates NCAA Recruiting Rules in Attempt to Steal Alabama Recruit"

All of us love and care about our grandmothers, past and present.

But skipping classes and practices at Alabama over it? Why not just come home for some personal time with her before returning to school? I don’t get it.

Maybe he comes back to this area if his grandmothers health remains a concern. In that case I take him if available to RU.
Do you know where he is? How do you not know he has been home. A loss of a love one can trigger many things including depression. Which could very well cause him to isolate himself from friends and family.

New article on N.J.com seems like the bridge between him and Alfano may not have been burned, but Saban is saying he basically quit on them. I don’t know the kid, but it seems like he needs some time away from school and football.

Does his family live in Bound Brook or CNJ? Sounds like he’s got a case of freshman homesickness.

Get him started in classes right away at RU and the support he needs close to home.

If he doesn't have displaary problems of a crimminal nature, he's worth bringing in the program with the hope he'll be the type of player RU needs and he'll find the type of support to help him succeed as a player and student.

If not, his talent made it worth the try and better that than not trying to improve the talent on roster

If he can't stay on the straight and narrow in Alabama(where everyone looks the other way) then how can he survive at RU where people are looking to take down the program at any turn(see the Star Ledger).

Reactions: lakejj
giphy.gif

Do we need this headache?
Ability seems excellent, but....
Don't worry Ash is doing a great job of recruiting D-linemen. :Wink: Until Ash does a better job recruiting, beggars can't be choosers/choosey. How often does a recruit above 2 stars potentially fall into your lap at Rutgers?

Reactions: chrisru99
It certainly would be nice to add a Colonia H.S. kid who was rated so high. I could see where he could have been home sick as Alabama certainly is much different than Woodbridge, NJ.

I know this guy who has a track record of being able to handle problem child's like this. I wonder if our Athletic Department still has his number?

Reactions: B0ski
I know this guy who has a track record of being able to handle problem child's like this. I wonder if our Athletic Department still has his number?

Scott Goodale ? He did a great job with Richie Lewis. :Sly:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT