ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any amateur historians out there?

Awesome find. I have a metal detector but I have never found something that cool. I consider myself an amateur historian and here is my take:

1. DO NOT CLEAN IT. To me, It looks to be late 1700's. The shape of the loop at the top leads me to believe it was hand made and from that time period. If so, it is in great shape. It looks like a family crest of sorts. It doesn't look like a military piece to me, but I could be wrong.

2. How did you find it? How deep was it?
3. Do you know anything about the history of the property? Who lived there?
4. I would make a post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/
those people know everything about this kinda stuff.

5. If online identification doesn't work, Take it to the local historical society. I would not tell anyone where you found it until you trust them. Next thing you know there will be amateur treasure hunters begging to search your yard.

Keep us posted!

Be there tomorrow

giphy.gif

A small metal badge was found in my yard. It depicts a coat of arms and looks pretty old and handcrafted.

My house is pretty old dating back to the 1700s and its on the route the British took to sandy hook after the battle of monmouth.

Anybody have any idea what this might be?

Been looking for that for a couple of days - glad you found it - will swing by to pick it up later...

A small metal badge was found in my yard. It depicts a coat of arms and looks pretty old and handcrafted.

My house is pretty old dating back to the 1700s and its on the route the British took to sandy hook after the battle of monmouth.

After some more research, I think there is a pretty good chance what you have is a Hessian pendant. Specifically, from the 8th Hessian Infantry. "The Regiment was commanded by von Trumbach until 1778 when Major General C. von Bose became the commander. Von Bose came from the German State of Hesse-Kassel and began their march from Hofgeismar on 13 February 1776 to the port city of Bremerlehe in the north. They then set sail on 23 March to New York on August 15th 1776. The Regiment arrived at Sandy Hook, New Jersey as part of a large fleet of troop transports with other Hessian units." --- LINK to source

Take a look at a cartridge box plate from that unit
964014_orig.jpg

Looks to me like it is the same Lion on your relic. The same lion appears on many Hessian mitre caps.

The double eagle was also common in many Eurpean countries, including Germany in the 1700's.

Take it to Monmouth Battlefield State Park Museum. Someone there will be able to idenitfy it.

It's clearly the crest for the 10th great house of westeros, House Schiano, which is rising from the ashes.

After some more research, I think there is a pretty good chance what you have is a Hessian pendant. Specifically, from the 8th Hessian Infantry. "The Regiment was commanded by von Trumbach until 1778 when Major General C. von Bose became the commander. Von Bose came from the German State of Hesse-Kassel and began their march from Hofgeismar on 13 February 1776 to the port city of Bremerlehe in the north. They then set sail on 23 March to New York on August 15th 1776. The Regiment arrived at Sandy Hook, New Jersey as part of a large fleet of troop transports with other Hessian units." --- LINK to source

964014_orig.jpg

Looks to me like it is the same Lion on your relic. The same lion appears on many Hessian mitre caps.

The double eagle was also common in many Eurpean countries, including Germany in the 1700's.

Take it to Monmouth Battlefield State Park Museum. Someone there will be able to idenitfy it.

good call! or the Whitall House / Red Bank Battlefield... here's their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/whitallhouse/

964014_orig.jpg

That would be a wild find.

I’m going join in the hessian theme

I think it might be from a hessian headgear (pointy helmet-like). Some of the pictures I’ve seen have had them as layered with plates on either the front or sides.

here’s one from the Museum of the American Revolution site
https://www.amrevmuseum.org/collection/hessian-headgear

others via google link
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j33i22i29i30.oIJH6YJNt3Q#imgrc=knz8vo54TgyvtM:

Last edited:
I originally thought it was a part of the headgear, but the loop at the top tells me that it was hanging from something. As far as I know, they did not have things dangling off their headgear. It makes me believe it was a pendant or even something from an officer's sword that hung off of the sheath.

Try emailing the American Museum of the Revolution in Philly:
Curatorial | curators@amrevmuseum.org

Education | education@amrevmuseum.org

Exhibitions | exhibits@amrevmuseum.org

Please keep us updated! This is really interesting stuff.

I’m going join in the hessian theme

I think it might be from a hessian headgear (pointy helmet-like). Some of the pictures I’ve seen have had them as layered with plates on either the front or sides.

here’s one from the Museum of the American Revolution site
https://www.amrevmuseum.org/collection/hessian-headgear

others via google link
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j33i22i29i30.oIJH6YJNt3Q#imgrc=knz8vo54TgyvtM:

Very cool. Another vote here that it is likely Hessian. The region/state of Hesse has used a similar looking standing lion in medals, coins, crests, statues, etc. since at least the 1400's. Would not be a surprise to find that symbol on an artifact in NJ. Search "Hesse lion" and you'll see how it is the most identifiable symbol for that region. Here's the current Hessen flag:

1603r.jpg

How did you find this? I assume it must have been buried. If it’s really 240 years old it would not be lying on the surface. So please give us more info about how you found this.

It is most definitely Hessian - the knight head with a crown on top is the give away - clear Hessian symbol (search "Hessian Coat of Arms"). If so that is a revolutionary find and you can help pay for the new football facility

Reactions: RU205
It was found by a friend of mine who is an Amateur archaeolgists so to speak. Knowing I had bought an old house he came over w a metal detector and found it along w some old lead toys from the early 1900s

Reactions: Ruthinking
It's about 3X4 you said, correct? How heavy is it? It looks too finely crafted for stuff I've seen pulled out of Monmouth Battleground. Copper or bronze pits a lot more than that over 200 years.

Be VERY Careful cleaning it. Do not polish anything old. Just try to get the dirt off then have it looked at. You never want to "restore" or polish old stuff.

And I can't see the picture.
this and @RobertG don't use that metal cleaning shit... cuz that stuff can eat away at pennies(i've tried it).. be very careful with it .. best way to clean it imo is that high pressure thing that the dentist would use to clean the gum line area.. high pressure but not enough to eat away at anything(no pun intended)... you have a nice piece of history, don't fk it up

It was found by a friend of mine who is an Amateur archaeolgists so to speak. Knowing I had bought an old house he came over w a metal detector and found it along w some old lead toys from the early 1900s
What steps are you taking next.

we want answers!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT