ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any career changers out there?

Getting into education is going to be very difficult the next 3-5 years because of the impending budget issues. I have personally seen a number of people try it out directly from finance and most have failed miserably.

Nothing wrong with changing careers, just make sure you’re willing to accept the worst case. You may end up with more student loans and still have a lengthy commute. The first 1-3 years teaching can be very difficult and time consuming.

Good luck!!

Because of the current economic downturn, I have heard that over 200,000 teachers nationwide will likely lose their jobs. Districts are losing state aide and are not sure how much more will be lost. This federal government has not shown a willingness to help public education as well. If you pursue education, you must be prepared for a huge paycut. What makes new teachers attractive is their ability to start at the bottom of the payscale. When you hear of teaching shortages, it typically is in urban districts, or ones with issues. If you want to teach in a nice suburban district that pays well and has great facilities, you will have a ton of competition. The majority of jobs are not really open - they are going to former graduates, someone who knows someone in the district, substitute or student teachers from the district. A big exception is if you can teach college level physics or calculus - generally those positions are difficult to fill for most districts.The more flexible you are, the more likely you will be hired. (Flexible not only in grade level, but topic and distance from home).

I have never seen a shortage of jobs for Math and/or Science Teachers.
Teachers willing to teach in Urban areas are seldom not hired. (TeachAmerica ((still around ??)), was the largest employed in the US for recent grads at one point.). Special Ed is a job always hiring.

Private schools sometimes will hire just about anyone. Mary Anne's friend taught Latin at a local Monmouth Co well thought of Private School. Her qualifications ? She was Italian from Brooklyn Heights !

2 Sisters taught school, Dad taught school and coached.

Not to hijack the thread. I can easily relate to the feelings of the OP, although some differences and also find myself at a cross road in life.

I'm 57 and was just let go from my company which was a good thing as I've requested to be let go for the past year on numerous occasions. I've come to hate my profession of which I've been in for the past 31 years. All my jobs have been the same and over time the companies I've worked for seem to get worse and worse, creating a huge amount of stress and frustration for me. My roles have become more tactical, pushing paper with very little value add, and was so relieved to finally be let go.

In addition, my wife who is a year older is taking a voluntary package in November. Through good pay over the years, hard work, a somewhat frugal lifestyle and smart investing, we're in a position to retire and live within our means for the rest of our lives without taking these types of corporate positions again. Moving down south at this time is not an option because our younger daughter just graduated college and we're giving her some time to get on her feet before taking off for lower cost of living and tax situation.

My issue is at 57 years old, I emotionally feel too young to retire and have no idea what I'm going to do with myself. I don't feel ready to retire, head back to school and learn, while doing volunteer work. I also don't want to put in the effort and time to change a career, start new and at the first step of the ladder. Going back with a different company to do the same job over and over again, makes me sick.

I've been keeping busy with home projects. In addition, I have a good amount of money in my Retirement Accounts currently sitting on the sidelines, thus, I'm putting together an investment plan, tracking the Equities Market and events surrounding it on a daily basis, as well as, doing a significant amount of research on a list of companies that present potential investment opportunities (including continuing to research and stay up-to-date on companies that I currently have an equity interest in). I enjoy continuing to learn about the Equities Market and different industries/companies.

With no idea of what you actually do; Consulting an option ? Put together a Professionally done Resume and get it out to everyone you know in yur industry and every friend you have. People ARE nice and like this board like to help.

Second have a discussion with your Daughter, give her some choices as well, she may surprise you.

John's now Wife, then aimless RU grad that was living in NJ commuting to NYC to a job her Dad found for her with his friend, summers at the Shore. Saw John in Manasquan on a weekend. Next week sublet her apt, quit her job (thereby POed her Dad and his friend) and moved to Annapolis. 12 years ago, now they're married with 2 kids, have moved 6 + times and now find themselves in Conn next month with IBM. So you never know when lighting strikes will happen.

Reactions: RURM85
With no idea of what you actually do; Consulting an option ? Put together a Professionally done Resume and get it out to everyone you know in yur industry and every friend you have. People ARE nice and like this board like to help.

Second have a discussion with your Daughter, give her some choices as well, she may surprise you.

John's now Wife, then aimless RU grad that was living in NJ commuting to NYC to a job her Dad found for her with his friend, summers at the Shore. Saw John in Manasquan on a weekend. Next week sublet her apt, quit her job (thereby POed her Dad and his friend) and moved to Annapolis. 12 years ago, now they're married with 2 kids, have moved 6 + times and now find themselves in Conn next month with IBM. So you never know when lighting strikes will happen.

Thanks. Consulting opportunities is a good question and will need to look into. My field is IT Sourcing with a specialization in software licensing. I started off after MBA school, working for Hewlett-Packard, sourcing hardware components for their server division. Over time, I progressed to sourcing all IT products/services including telecom and professional services with roles is Procurement Management. However, my area is really software licensing. I would think most companies keep their Sourcing roles internal, however, I'll have to research if there are either consulting and/or freelance opportunities for sourcing projects.

My Sister who was biggie at Saks and American Girl Place and others has gone into Consulting for start up Retail Stores and new Celebrity 'brands'.
She is as busy as she wants.

Don't know if you have a 7 yr old or how old you are. Let me assure you that baseball game, and having his Dad there, is more important to that 7 yr old than how big his Dad's paycheck is.
Remember the saying "No one ever said on their death bed: Gee I wish I'd spent more time at work".
When work becomes more important than your family it's probably time to step back and take a good hard look at yourself!
I get your point. I have two sons and was just alluding to the fact that those baseball games when they're that little, while important, are not as important as some parents think. It's just about quality time with your kid and can really depend on the kid. Didn't mean to come off as an a-hole.

The OP is in a position where his time is valuable and he is working long hours probably because he is in much demand. I know plenty of 40 year olds, I would dare say more than half in my business, who become disenchanted from thier jobs because they are effective and are being worked to hell. Many 40 year olds are passed over for promotions due to the simple fact that someone else has more years in. It doesn't mean that they are not on a good path. Sometimes patience pays off. The OP mentioned that his job is "interesting" and talks of "climbing the corporate ladder". To that I say stick it out; it's not easy and not uncommon to doubt during those years working hard and with little ones. I've been there and it can get better.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I repeat my mantra of looking for jobs with friends or known associates that know of your good and bad qualities.

Sometimes the easiest way to climb the 'corporate' ladder is to change ladders.

I've had just one job that I didn't get from either somebody knowing me and hiring me or telling someone about me.

The NFL. ...and even there you could say Coach Ben Schwartzwalder most likely spoke well of me....

Reactions: beaced
I've been working a corporate job for 17 years (commuting into NYC for all of it) and one thing I've come to learn is that I really don't like it. I've done well, work in an interesting field, and have made some great friends, but at the same time, this pandemic has helped me realize that there's more to life. I regret all the time I've missed with my kids. My marriage is stressed. I've missed coaching little league, leading scouts, and in general just being around my community, my neighbors and my family. I work a TON, and I've never been afraid of hard work, but I just don't see myself doing this until I'm 65. Not to mention, my industry is changing very rapidly, and my job may not exist as it does now in the next even 5-10 years.

With all that being said, has anyone ever dramatically changed careers? I just turned 40, and am the lone breadwinner, so there are stakes involved. However, I have a college degree (RU) and a MBA (Fordham). (my youngest is two years from being in school full time, so at that point, my wife could go back to work, theoretically, which could lessen the financial burden.

As a total change of pace, I've really been looking at teaching and counseling. Is that crazy? Am I so far off from a meaningful career in either that there's no point in starting now?

PS, I'm not drunk... or on the verge of a breakdown. I've just found this board to be so unbelievably useful, so thought I could get some real life examples.
Yes I've done it, twice. The first time because I wanted to. I was younger, no wife and kids. I went back to school, and so on. The second time because I had to....financial crises of 2008. People always ask me how I 'got the guts to quit my job and start my own company'. LOL. It definitely had nothing to do with guts. I didn't quit my job, my job quit me...and no one else was gonna hire me. That was very clear. I was scared s****tless. I had a young child. I was lucky enough to find another fellow traveler in the exact same situation who I could trust and we started our own business together. I'm happy to offer whatever advice I can, but in general, change is hard, but if you don't do it, you may always regret. And when you find the thing that you are good at and you like, man, you know it, like *really* know it.

Last edited:
I left a high paying corporate marketing job after 25 years to teach middle school math/science. Never taught a day in my life when I began. Eventually, became principal and recently retired after 15 years. Best move I ever made. Loved it. But my advice - move cautiously. My wife is very supportive, loved her career and made good money. We also had no children. As a father your financial responsibilities are much different. My advice for now:

1). Look for work closer to home, so you can spend more time with your kids
2). Do some volunteer work involving youth to gauge your passion for teaching.

3). Fully research and understand the credentials needed to teach or counsel in your area. You may need several more years of education. For me, a BS and MS degree from RU was enough.

4). Explore the different teaching/counseling opportunities available today. Recognize that schools vary widely in their philosophy, management style, size, staff cohesion, and economics. Read about schools and speak to teachers to understand the differences. Ask yourself in what type of environment would you like to teach. I chose a small, private Catholic elementary school (pre K - 8), with a highly autonomous management style that I fully supported and believed in; education was valued and parental expectations were high.

Believe me, you are still very young with a bright, long career ahead. Value your current employment while exploring other opportunities for which you may be more passionate. Move to another position only when you are financially ready and positive about your passion. Know precisely where you hope to land. I waited for nearly 10 years before making my career change at age 50. My colleagues and friends thought I'd lost my mind. I wish you well and let me know if I can help.

I've kept my last NJSP paycheck deduction stub in my briefcase all these years.

Checking it never failed to make my happy that I left. (not to mention my BP dropping 10 points on both numbers.).

When I left I knew my monthly nut. I had eliminated EVERY debt except my house mortgage and property tax. I made 5 times my $ nut my first month and never looked back again....and....we were blessed with our two younger Sons.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I've been working a corporate job for 17 years (commuting into NYC for all of it) and one thing I've come to learn is that I really don't like it. I've done well, work in an interesting field, and have made some great friends, but at the same time, this pandemic has helped me realize that there's more to life. I regret all the time I've missed with my kids. My marriage is stressed. I've missed coaching little league, leading scouts, and in general just being around my community, my neighbors and my family. I work a TON, and I've never been afraid of hard work, but I just don't see myself doing this until I'm 65. Not to mention, my industry is changing very rapidly, and my job may not exist as it does now in the next even 5-10 years.

With all that being said, has anyone ever dramatically changed careers? I just turned 40, and am the lone breadwinner, so there are stakes involved. However, I have a college degree (RU) and a MBA (Fordham). (my youngest is two years from being in school full time, so at that point, my wife could go back to work, theoretically, which could lessen the financial burden.

As a total change of pace, I've really been looking at teaching and counseling. Is that crazy? Am I so far off from a meaningful career in either that there's no point in starting now?

PS, I'm not drunk... or on the verge of a breakdown. I've just found this board to be so unbelievably useful, so thought I could get some real life examples.
Is there any way you could get a job that does not involve commuting to NYC? The commute be contributing to half or more of your stress. My second job out of law school was in NYC. I lasted less than a year, taking a large pay cut to go in house in Western, NY. Ultimately opened an office with a couple of other like-minded people, and have never looked back. I had the benefit of being able to coach both of my sons' soccer and baseball teams when they were young, attend their soccer and/or baseball games in middle school. My sons, one a freshman in college, and another, a junior in high school, have said several times that they appreciated the time I spent with them on their sports and other activities, such as taking them fishing/crabbing in our small boat we had.

Don't know if your field is the type of field where you can consult, at least part time, but maybe you could pursue teaching, or even real estate, while consulting part-time in your field?

So much good info here, this board always comes through. To provide a little more info, I work in the TV biz with little opportunity outside of NYC so commuting is part of the deal. Also, I work in the linear side of TV which we all know is changing so in a way I'm seeing the writing on the wall. At this point, I know I want something different. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I don't hate my job, I've done well and am on a growth track. It's all come at a cost, though. I'm willing to put in the work (in fact, i'm typing this on a break from writing a deck for work), but I want something smaller, more connected to a community, and allows more time to pursue different things and advance in different ways.

Again, everyone here is spot on, my kids don't care what I do (just the other day my oldest said, I don't really care what job you have, just that you have a job), and yes, they won't remember my paychecks, but they will remember a trip to Disney (they're prime Disney age), not being self conscious about their bikes, and not seeing mom and dad stressed about making ends meet. That's the primary reason I'm not walking away tomorrow.

@ruclass76, your story is an inspiration. I have my early eye on middle school, would love to coach baseball, football, chair clubs and make connections and differences in kids lives, not just make my boss look good.

@everyone else, thank you again. your advice will stay with me as i figure out my second act.

I been through what you are going through now. 30 years in the Mortgage bond business and wholesale lending. The first 25 years, for the most part, was great. Little travel to conventions every once in awhile. No commute. Good pay. Hours high at times. Great people. Down side was stress by putting the company at risk for every trade you did or didn't make. Than 2008 came around and it all changed dramatically. The downsize in economy wasn't an issue. It was the new regulations and requirements placed across the board. Most not thought out at all. After 5 years of that mess, hating my job, I had an opportunity to get into the beer business and I made the leap but took a big pay cut. It paid off big time in my quality of life. Over 6 years later now with great pay, crazy good benefits (union) and still love what I do everyday.

Good thread and appropriate for the times. Many people are thinking YOLO.

To the OP, consider that the pandemic is kinda surreal and has many of us out of our routines. You talk about money, so consider that closely. It's not everything, but sure makes life a hell of a lot easier. Take a look at your industry; are people who are older really working as hard as you? In a lot of fields, I believe it is the mid-level employees (10-20 years experience) who carry the load. Can you move into a position to "teach and council" in the field that you spent 17 years building experience?

Does the wife want to go back to work? Older kids can use a parent at home also, to run errands, and make sure that the home life is stable.

Not saying to not go for it, but be a realist and consider the risks. Just a counter view point.
Insightful post. We have three kids all older. 15, 18, 20. My wife never went back to work after we had our second and if she had I don’t know how we would have managed this household for the past 10 years. God knows how many times she was running them around to dance, football, field hockey, piano lessons etc. Just because a child is old enough to go to school doesn’t mean having a parent at home is a bad thing.

Going through these same discussions right now. I own a business and my wife hasn't really worked in about 15 years except part time at our business. Oldest is in HS and youngest going into middle school. This whole Covid experience has taught me I don't need or want the stress of 15 employees and tons of moving parts. I'm looking into selling a few "parts" of my company which would reduce my stress a great deal. My wife also applied for a few teaching jobs. She doesn't have a teaching certificate but was told she could do alternate route. She holds multiple science degrees and speaks 4 languages, apparently that's intriguing to schools. The main drive behind her getting a job would be to drop the 30k a year expense of buying crappy health insurance. If she could make enough to cover our housing costs(no mortgage but 30k property taxes) plus insurance it would be a home run. We've lived below our means for our entire professional lives and If I don't save another dollar, I could retire at 50 and not change our lifestyle while paying for 3 college degrees. Right now, we would just need to earn "enough" to cover our monthly nut for the next 5 years. That being said, I've never had a job, started my company day 1, and am used to being the boss. While I am "done" with the stress and huge payroll, I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to just become a good soldier.

Outsourcing is a gutless way to do business

It’s a way of life. Company sold my division to a hedge fund, and My previous job was outsourced to India, and they replaced me with three people. They canned me right after I finished the development of a state of the art FOREX trade processing system. They gave me a great package, and more bonus than I was entitled to, but still feel somewhat bitter because I put my heart and soul into that system. It’s every man for himself these days.

Going through these same discussions right now. I own a business and my wife hasn't really worked in about 15 years except part time at our business. Oldest is in HS and youngest going into middle school. This whole Covid experience has taught me I don't need or want the stress of 15 employees and tons of moving parts. I'm looking into selling a few "parts" of my company which would reduce my stress a great deal. My wife also applied for a few teaching jobs. She doesn't have a teaching certificate but was told she could do alternate route. She holds multiple science degrees and speaks 4 languages, apparently that's intriguing to schools. The main drive behind her getting a job would be to drop the 30k a year expense of buying crappy health insurance. If she could make enough to cover our housing costs(no mortgage but 30k property taxes) plus insurance it would be a home run. We've lived below our means for our entire professional lives and If I don't save another dollar, I could retire at 50 and not change our lifestyle while paying for 3 college degrees. Right now, we would just need to earn "enough" to cover our monthly nut for the next 5 years. That being said, I've never had a job, started my company day 1, and am used to being the boss. While I am "done" with the stress and huge payroll, I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to just become a good soldier.

benefits in North Jersey school systems are top notch. Sounds like a good plan. I’d suggest working in a rich school district like Tenafly, if possible.

Somewhat in the same boat, but my kids are older. I had been trending towards winding down, but the pandemic and working from home has re-energized me. As of now, I want to work to have more to help my sons out should they decide to get involved in a startup or start a startup business, or help them with advanced degrees if that is what they choose to do. Also looking to save more money for charity and gifting.

Give your Wife a title or revamp the TO and give her a BIG raise in salary. Max out her IRA/401. Get everyone company cars and the company pays the car insurance. Give everyone in your company health insurance, any money left over go to profit sharing.

Find the best person to run your company and loan him the money to buy you out with deferred buyout on a payment schedule.

Somewhat in the same boat, but my kids are older. I had been trending towards winding down, but the pandemic and working from home has re-energized me. As of now, I want to work to have more to help my sons out should they decide to get involved in a startup or start a startup business, or help them with advanced degrees if that is what they choose to do. Also looking to save more money for charity and gifting.

Do what our guy in Omaha is doing for his Son, nothing, other than a million or so...

Set up trusts with someone, age the trust up to say 35.
Give them the max $ allowed per year.
Buy them a home in your/wife's name and have them pay "market" rent.
New furniture is delivered to your home.

Reactions: LC-88
Give your Wife a title or revamp the TO and give her a BIG raise in salary. Max out her IRA/401. Get everyone company cars and the company pays the car insurance. Give everyone in your company health insurance, any money left over go to profit sharing.

Find the best person to run your company and loan him the money to buy you out with deferred buyout on a payment schedule.
already has a nice salary, increasing her salary won't help with my desire to lower the monthly nut.
already maxes our 401k
can't justify company cars for our type of work.
everyone who doesn't have health insurance from a spouse gets it
also offer profit sharing.
Your last point is what I'm hoping to do with two divisions of the company. 99% sure an existing employee is going to buy one piece. About half upfront the rest over 7 years.

already has a nice salary, increasing her salary won't help with my desire to lower the monthly nut.
already maxes our 401k
can't justify company cars for our type of work.
everyone who doesn't have health insurance from a spouse gets it
also offer profit sharing.
Your last point is what I'm hoping to do with two divisions of the company. 99% sure an existing employee is going to buy one piece. About half upfront the rest over 7 years.

Fire her and let her take unemployment.

Great thread, thank you! There is so much useful information here. If we talk about me, I really want to change my job. During the quarantine, our salaries were reduced, so I lost interest in my work. I got into a difficult financial situation and lost the ability to pay for loans. A friend advised me to take courses and learn information technology. If you can advise me on good courses, then I will be glad. I've already found guys who can help me get Cisco Certifications. But I want to master this skill in order to get a good remote job and not depend on circumstances.

Last edited:
I repeat my mantra of looking for jobs with friends or known associates that know of your good and bad qualities.

I've had just one job that I didn't get from either somebody knowing me and hiring me or telling someone about me.

The NFL. ...and even there you could say Coach Ben Schwartzwalder most likely spoke well of me....
Ben Schwartzwalder — Muhlenberg College Athletics Hall of Famer.

https://muhlenbergsports.com/hof.aspx?hof=150

Coach Ben. Jumped into France on D-Day.

We're playing Wisconsin up there in Wisky and kicking the Badger poop out of them. Their AD askes Ben not to kick PAT if we score again as they are having riots over the football in the stands. Sure enough our last string scores and so we go for 2 and make it ! Nobody else knows that their AD had asked us not to kick.

Wisky players start a fight on field. Benches clear and we are heading across the field for the fight. I'm right next to Ben and he's in his late 60's/70+ and he's running and taking off his glasses and telling me "let's get those Bastards !"

We WON the fight too !

Man...this thread speaks to me.

As i mentioned in the 'Town Recommendations' thread, my company will ultimately move us from Boston to NYC. While the move doesn't bother me since i grew up and have family in NJ, the commute is not interesting at all and the goodwill I have with the company and my industry is largely done. I'm 42 with a 7 month old girl. We've saved enough where I don't need to make the same amount as I have the last few years (if I scale my lifestyle properly), but I want something different.

Maybe @JMORC2003 and I should buy a business together...perhaps from @vkj91 ? The idea of owning something and being responsible for something really tangible (vs. financial services) is appealing. I'm not afraid of the hours or the work, but I want the fulfillment as well.

I told my wife the other day...if we do the move to NJ and commute to NYC, we have to do it with a plan of being in a position in a few years of not needing to do it. If we keep moving and upping our lifestyle, we'll always be dependent on a job that may or may not be there in a few months or years.

Would love to hear more about @RUinBoston experience as well...maybe over a beer sometime!

I made a career change seven years ago after spending 16.5 years at my former employer. My department was relocated to Texas and my wife and I decided we'd rather not move there, so we took our chances on staying put. After around a year, I landed a position six miles from home in a different industry. I am now well-established in my new role. I make less than I would've made if I moved but more than enough for what we need.

I cannot imagine how anyone puts up with commutes that are 60-90+ minutes each way every day. Unless that was the only way to support my family, I would never choose that. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone so plan for the future while still enjoying today.

I made a career change seven years ago after spending 16.5 years at my former employer. My department was relocated to Texas and my wife and I decided we'd rather not move there, so we took our chances on staying put. After around a year, I landed a position six miles from home in a different industry. I am now well-established in my new role. I make less than I would've made if I moved but more than enough for what we need.

I cannot imagine how anyone puts up with commutes that are 60-90+ minutes each way every day. Unless that was the only way to support my family, I would never choose that. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone so plan for the future while still enjoying today.

Which industry from where?

BW,I had a friend who played CENTER at 'Cuse wh en that position was facing into the backfield.Mid to late 19 forties.I don't remember who the HC was at that time.After a couple of years it was dis-allowed.

Man...this thread speaks to me.

As i mentioned in the 'Town Recommendations' thread, my company will ultimately move us from Boston to NYC. While the move doesn't bother me since i grew up and have family in NJ, the commute is not interesting at all and the goodwill I have with the company and my industry is largely done. I'm 42 with a 7 month old girl. We've saved enough where I don't need to make the same amount as I have the last few years (if I scale my lifestyle properly), but I want something different.

Maybe @JMORC2003 and I should buy a business together...perhaps from @vkj91 ? The idea of owning something and being responsible for something really tangible (vs. financial services) is appealing. I'm not afraid of the hours or the work, but I want the fulfillment as well.

I told my wife the other day...if we do the move to NJ and commute to NYC, we have to do it with a plan of being in a position in a few years of not needing to do it. If we keep moving and upping our lifestyle, we'll always be dependent on a job that may or may not be there in a few months or years.

Would love to hear more about @RUinBoston experience as well...maybe over a beer sometime!
Let’s do it, man. I’ve got some ideas for businesses although most of which I have no business getting into haha.
You touched on a very good point though when you mention tangible results. I am not afraid of work, at all. Oftentimes when I’m signing on after hours it’s because I want to do something better or get ahead or go an extra mile. That’s just how I’m wired. But in my role all that gets me aside from my own satisfaction is a pat on the back, a good reputation, and best case scenario if the climate is right (which right now, it’s not), eventually a promotion and more money. I want something where if I kick ass, I reap the benefits directly.

Corporate job for 12 years out of college. Same situation...great experiences, met awesome people, saved/invested, etc. However, went into education 6 years ago and never looked back. Quality of life much better and even looking into some entrepreneurial endeavors within the new field.

Thanks. Consulting opportunities is a good question and will need to look into. My field is IT Sourcing with a specialization in software licensing. I started off after MBA school, working for Hewlett-Packard, sourcing hardware components for their server division. Over time, I progressed to sourcing all IT products/services including telecom and professional services with roles is Procurement Management. However, my area is really software licensing. I would think most companies keep their Sourcing roles internal, however, I'll have to research if there are either consulting and/or freelance opportunities for sourcing projects.

I know for a fact that people make a good living doing this as consulting (look at alt assets, hedge funds, private equity, family offices). These are mostly smaller shops who have bigger infrastructure/licensing needs and less staff.

That said, working with alt assets firms isn't generally a path to a better QoL and it's tough to get business if you're not already on the inside with contacts.

Best of luck.

Reactions: RURM85
Corporate job for 12 years out of college. Same situation...great experiences, met awesome people, saved/invested, etc. However, went into education 6 years ago and never looked back. Quality of life much better and even looking into some entrepreneurial endeavors within the new field.
Education as in being a teacher??Curious to know if there are option outside of being in the classroom (not that I’d be opposed to that, just curious).

Reactions: BoogieKnight

Most people commute 30+ minutes to their work. Everyone always makes it sound like they can walk to work in 5 min. I would take 1 hr on a train than 30 min driving.

Most people commute 30+ minutes to their work. Everyone always makes it sound like they can walk to work in 5 min. I would take 1 hr on a train than 30 min driving.
30 min each way = 1 hr/day = 5 hrs/week commuting.
60 min each way = 2 hrs/day = 10 hrs/week commuting.
90 min each way = 3 hrs/day = 15 hrs/week commuting.

Assume someone makes that commute 50 wks/year for nice round numbers. That's an additional 250 or 500 hrs of your life per year spent commuting rather than living your life. Different strokes for different folks, I know, but that is a lot of time.

Reactions: jtung230
30 min each way = 1 hr/day = 5 hrs/week commuting.
60 min each way = 2 hrs/day = 10 hrs/week commuting.
90 min each way = 3 hrs/day = 15 hrs/week commuting.

Assume someone makes that commute 50 wks/year for nice round numbers. That's an additional 250 or 500 hrs of your life per year spent commuting rather than living your life. Different strokes for different folks, I know, but that is a lot of time.
I hear you on the math but your assuming people don't waste time doing other stuff. Maybe they can get their social media stuff out of the way on the train so they don't need to do it at home.

Bro, your life was my life. I left a Big 4 partnership after 9/11 because I was traveling so much I wouldn’t see my kids for days on end. I didn’t want to be a dad that found out from my wife how they did on tests or if they had a good game. And even when I was home, the stress was there. So, I went to a smaller company and I was home a lot more and really was a part of my kids lives. I traveled the country with my daughter for soccer trips, coached LL for my son’s team, and was there for my wife. It was all worth it. You can’t understand how important it was for my kids. I have close relationships with both kids and we are still a close family. Don’t know how it would have been if I was on the road 4 days a week and stressed out all the time. Money will always be there, but your family will not.

Hello Beancounter88,
Is there a way I can direct message you? I haven't gone on this site since they cancelled the Big Ten Tournament and was too devastated to read up on Rutgers sports. This is the first time back on the site and the first thread I started to look at was about career changing. Since you mentioned working for a Big 4 company and by your screen name I imagine you are an accountant of some sort. I'm actually doing a career shift and maybe have some questions for you. Is there even a way to send you a message through this rivals website? Thanks.
GFlip01.

Hello Beancounter88,
Is there a way I can direct message you? I haven't gone on this site since they cancelled the Big Ten Tournament and was too devastated to read up on Rutgers sports. This is the first time back on the site and the first thread I started to look at was about career changing. Since you mentioned working for a Big 4 company and by your screen name I imagine you are an accountant of some sort. I'm actually doing a career shift and maybe have some questions for you. Is there even a way to send you a message through this rivals website? Thanks.
GFlip01.
Upper right hand corner of your screen - the envelope icon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT