ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

Zarepath is one strange place. Had to go in there in high school for a service project. Here we were a catholic high school assisting a group that I can only describe as a cult or biker gang reconstruct a barn. It was something straight out of Ozark.
Zarepath/Pillar of Fire is a legit cult. No other way to describe it.

Griggstown is another one. A census-designated, unincorporated community in Franklin Township. As Seinfeld would ask: "Why is it Griggstown, when it is not a town?"

And WTF is up with Zarephath? Another one in Franklin Township. Was is a zarephath, and how the heck is it pronounced. Driving along 287, there used to be (maybe still are) signs that said "Zarephath". Pre-internet, could not find it on paper maps. Was the worldwide headquarters of Pillar of Fire International--according to Wikipedia. Sounds kind of like a movie place.

Does Franklin Township have the largest collection of unincorporated communities in the State?
Franklin is a weird ass town. Part of it is very urban (next to NB). Part low quality suburban. Part rural with Toll Bros houses. The last section of Franklin is pretty nice and laid back. Sadly, it is overwhelmed by the other parts of town and continues to be run into the ground.

Don't know much about Zarephath, but I had to deal with that neighborhood during my time on the regional flood control commission. It is adjacent to the Lost Valley part of Manville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Yea have family in all of those towns. Brother in South Brunswick, Sister in East and Brother in Princeton (hahaha Somerset). Leadership and public planners in South Brunswick should be shot those guys ruined a great town.
We lived in S Brunswick from 1991-2009 and even in that short span of 18 years the development was ridiculous. Don’t miss it at all and every time we go back to visit relatives I can’t believe how congested it’s gotten. It’s starting to look like Edison with all the strip malls and dollar stores

That Car Shop facility/store is absolutely enormous. We had heard that was the best place to unload a car for highest price versus trading the vehicle in for a new one. Boy what a disappointment that place was. It was beautiful inside. I became highly suspicious when I observed Toto brand commodes in mens room. I remarked to my wife that they were going to lowball us to pay for the toilets. They lowballed us, and we did not even try to negotiate.
Never mind how I know this, but Totos are overrated.

We lived in S Brunswick from 1991-2009 and even in that short span of 18 years the development was ridiculous. Don’t miss it at all and every time we go back to visit relatives I can’t believe how congested it’s gotten. It’s starting to look like Edison with all the strip malls and dollar stores
Great comparison. South Brunswick went from rural farmland suburbia to overgrown sprawl in that time period. I lived in NYC for 15 years and never felt claustrophobic. I drive on that stretch of rt18 and rt1 corridor and feel closed in.

Great comparison. South Brunswick went from rural farmland suburbia to overgrown sprawl in that time period. I lived in NYC for 15 years and never felt claustrophobic. I drive on that stretch of rt18 and rt1 corridor and feel closed in.
This is actually a Rutgers issue. Commuting has become terribly difficult for faculty and staff on the campus. One faculty member told me she based her choice of house entirely on what would give her the shortest commute. The ability of many faculty to work at home helps -- but it's still an issue.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I would have never guessed you to have been a volunteer firefighter. Tip of the cap to you.
Why did you not continue?

For me, once it was in the blood, I continued everywhere I lived. Back where I started in Wall now. I cannot list all of the things that being a volunteer firefighter has "given" to me and my life. From the colleagues, the friendships, the training, the experience, the exposure to situations and people that you will not come across in other walks of life. Most of all the brotherhood (and sisterhood). Aside from that, driving an engine, rescue or ladder lights and sirens to an emergency is an interesting experience and tests the mettle of a driver.
I was able to make it work all through HS and undergrad. However, once I started on my MBA at RU, life just got in the way from making percentage and regularly being available. By the time I settled in Monty, I met the wife to be a few months later and the next chapter of life started (including my career). I quickly got swept into local/county politics, so that became my free time commitment. I was very close to both Monty FDs and our EMS squad throughout my tenure. We/the town started supplying our EMS with first responder vehicles to help them out (since they don't have the power to tax).

I always thought about rejoining once my other service was over, but I'm still active on 4 township boards and a trustee of 2 other private organizations. Regardless, I would probably love to join the FD on the desk/office side! LOL.

@knightfan7 --the thread about "the shore" has been successfully hijacked and T2K's attention has been diverted.
Mission accomplished.
Darn you Northerners!!!

simpsons-shake.gif

This is actually a Rutgers issue. Commuting has become terribly difficult for faculty and staff on the campus. One faculty member told me she based her choice of house entirely on what would give her the shortest commute. The ability of many faculty to work at home helps -- but it's still an issue.

18 & 1 have always been disaster zones. I always thought a lot of professors lived in Highland Park, and the ones who were more suburban oriented down Hamilton Street in Hillsborough or maybe the part of EB along Ryders Lane where you could come into Douglass without getting 1 or 18.

Same thing happened to Monroe. I moved out of there because they just keep building and the roads can’t handle the influx of people.

I always thought about rejoining once my other service was over, but I'm still active on 4 township boards and a trustee of 2 other private organizations. Regardless, I would probably love to join the FD on the desk/office side! LOL.
twin peaks head shake GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

• Haha
Here. It’s quiet. Good meteor shower tonight though. Saw a few good ones
Is that the big one I keep seeing headlines about? Thought it was later in the month, but maybe that's just December flying by!

My wife and her family are from new orleans, i grew up in Princeton and live in Maryland now, her family ALWAYS refers to me as a ‘yankee’. They’ve politely explained that anyone north of the Virginia line is considered a Yankee, despite Maryland being on the southern end of the Mason Dixon line…🤷‍♂️
Yesssir321 is spot on, as usual. As a native of the Old Line State, I can verify that everybody south of Maryland considers us "Yankees". No, wait, "%$^* Yankees." That's why we were so popular in the ACC...

i don't think this is surprising...shore real estate is holding its own and the South Jersey suburbs are typically a bargain by NJ standards
Respectfully, it's very surprising. Generalizations aside, houses in my suburban Philadelphia town have been substantially more valuable than houses in Atlantic City for a very long time...

Respectfully, it's very surprising. Generalizations aside, houses in my suburban Philadelphia town have been substantially more valuable than houses in Atlantic City for a very long time...
I think that depends on which side of the river your suburb is on; those on the Pennsylvania side are almost always more expensive.

I think that depends on which side of the river your suburb is on; those on the Pennsylvania side are almost always more expensive.
Okay, I'll put it a third way. "Statement B" has never been true; therefore, it's surprising that "Statement B" is now true. No generalizations about anything are required (or relevant) for this to be the case...

Yesssir321 is spot on, as usual. As a native of the Old Line State, I can verify that everybody south of Maryland considers us "Yankees". No, wait, "%$^* Yankees." That's why we were so popular in the ACC...
Where are you from? I live in silver spring now but have lived in a few parts of Maryland

Where are you from? I live in silver spring now but have lived in a few parts of Maryland
Hey, Yessir. I am from Bowie, Maryland. A proud PG county boy. My parents still live there, so I go down a lot.

Silver Spring is nice...

Toms River Beaches ( Ortley) just crushed again,,,15 foot cliffs

Shore real estate has just been going up since COVID.

The nicest South Jersey suburbs like Haddonfield and Cherry Hill are expensive by national standards but compared to North Jersey suburbs they are a bargain. A comparable home is probably 100-200k less in South Jersey.

Shore real estate has just been going up since COVID.

The nicest South Jersey suburbs like Haddonfield and Cherry Hill are expensive by national standards but compared to North Jersey suburbs they are a bargain. A comparable home is probably 100-200k less in South Jersey.
Your second paragraph (a generalization) has nothing to do with a comparison between Atlantic City and Washington Township.

Your first point has some relevance, however...

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT