ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

Strong undertow in Longport today. Was out just past the breakers with my wife and kids(15&21). Had a string of big waves come in and then suddenly I feel us all starting to getting pulled out deeper. I told everyone to head for shallower water. I grabbed by wife and son(15) and got them in far enough and then realized my daughter was still about 10-15 ft further out and headed deeper, she kept her wits about her and swam diagonally back towards the beach vs directly against the current. At this point the lifeguard whistles were going off, but I was able to meet my daughter halfway(where I could get my feet under me cause I'm almost a foot taller than her) and pull her the rest of the way. We decided we had enough of the water for a while at that point and headed up to our chairs. Lifeguards gave us a thumbs-up on the way past the stand.

With all of that, we only saw one rescue all day. Weren't that many people in the water though.

I feel so bad. Yes, I could save swimmers back in the day.
Yes, I was drown proofed schooled in the NJSP at the AP YMCA pool.

Now I'm just floating in our pool.

4 foot deep above ground pool ? I think NOT.

It's a 4 foot WIDE splash pool.

I can remember being taught by Dad in the Vanderbilt indoor pool how to swim. When he punched out the Head Coach at Vandy, that turned out to be a career changing event and we moved back to NJ.
Then walking from the South end snack bar in Spring Lake up to the South Pavilion for my swim lessons. Walking carefully to reduce the splinters you would get from the old wood boardwalk. Getting there as the pool was filled with that COLD ocean sea water.
Anybody here use Silton Swim School in Wall for their swim school ? All 3 of our Sons went there, but they were not happy with how cold the water was for the early lessons.

4 foot deep above ground pool ? I think NOT.

It's a 4 foot WIDE splash pool.

I can remember being taught by Dad in the Vanderbilt indoor pool how to swim. When he punched out the Head Coach at Vandy, that turned out to be a career changing event and we moved back to NJ.
Then walking from the South end snack bar in Spring Lake up to the South Pavilion for my swim lessons. Walking carefully to reduce the splinters you would get from the old wood boardwalk. Getting there as the pool was filled with that COLD ocean sea water.
Anybody here use Silton Swim School in Wall for their swim school ? All 3 of our Sons went there, but they were not happy with how cold the water was for the early lessons.

Never sent the kids to Silton. My daughter was never interested in camps. My son did camp at the Atlantic Club including 3 years at the Bobby Hurley Basketball camp.

I remember one year a number of RU players were counselors. Really funny to see Herve walking by with kids who didn't come up to his waist surrounding him.

The last year my son attended (8th? grade) he was picked to play in a game against a group of kids who played for St Anthony's. Lost something like 50-6. He was all excited that he had 2 of the points.

Last edited:
Never sent the kids to Silton. My daughter was never interested in camps. My son did camp at the Atlantic Club including 3 years at the Bobby Hurley Basketball camp.
Did it for both boys. Worked out well and gave my wife and I great piece of mind on vacations with a pool.

And when they were old enough jr guards in Spring Lake every Summer until 9th grade.

The complaint I heard about the basketball camp was the dad showed up the first day and never again.

Last edited:
Did it for both boys. Worked out well and gave my wife and I great piece of mind in vacations with a pool.

And when they were old enough jr guards in Spring Lake every Summer until 9th grade.

The complaint I heard about the basketball camp was the dad showed up the first day and never again.

Couldn't say about the dad. Bobby and Danny were there IIRC. The counselors were mainly college guys who were playing in the JSBL. I remember one counselor he had was Carlos Cuerto who was a PG for Richmond.

The year Herve was there was prior to his Frosh year at RU. He played on a team in the JSBL that included Sherrod along with Barrett, Toney-El, and Griffin from SHU.

Original member of Atlantic Club, Mary Anne was on their tennis team for many years.

Back in the day a few games of racquette ball and some beers upstairs.
Or some beers by the outdoor pool.

By the time we moved to Florida my monthly bill there was larger than my home mortgage.

Some beers seem to be in my memory bank from my 'workouts' there.

Sand storm on Sunday afternoon and now a big storm to wash out Tuesday and Wednesday. Not a great week for the shore.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Looking to take the kids 8, 6, 4 later next week, want to head down to LBI. Any recommendations on which beach?

we usually stay north, long branch, point pleasant but want to go further and somewhere new.

Beaches lost a good amount of sand to the storm. Hope some of it comes back.

I love L
Looking to take the kids 8, 6, 4 later next week, want to head down to LBI. Any recommendations on which beach?

we usually stay north, long branch, point pleasant but want to go further and somewhere new.

I love LBI and especially Beach Haven. Less crowded, less day-trippers, and more family oriented. Check on badges, though, as mentioned above.

Weird weather at the shore. Dense fog over the water and a crazy thunderstorm over the bay. Still people on the beach. It feels like 70 degrees with the wind.

Weird weather at the shore. Dense fog over the water and a crazy thunderstorm over the bay. Still people on the beach. It feels like 70 degrees with the wind.

Yeah it looked really foggy looking toward AP. It was sunny with a nice breeze here earlier. Storms have moved in now.

I love L

I love LBI and especially Beach Haven. Less crowded, less day-trippers, and more family oriented. Check on badges, though, as mentioned above.
I don't think you can go wrong anywhere on LBI. The outskirts of beach haven in either direction would be great for a younger family.

Plenty of solutions to the beach badge issue if your rental doesn't offer them (they should). You could buy weekly badges, you could tell them you left them home and someone went to get them or you can dig in a beach bag for a few minutes and shake any bag, envelope or container at them and they'll walk away. All tried and true methods. Good luck.

I don't think you can go wrong anywhere on LBI. The outskirts of beach haven in either direction would be great for a younger family.

Plenty of solutions to the beach badge issue if your rental doesn't offer them (they should). You could buy weekly badges, you could tell them you left them home and someone went to get them or you can dig in a beach bag for a few minutes and shake any bag, envelope or container at them and they'll walk away. All tried and true methods. Good luck.

My strongest memory of LBI is the flies.

Damn, this sucks. @e5fdny , @knightfan7
Clancy's the sister operation of Kelly's is closing.

Love the quote by the Clancy owner Kelly in that story: "We have enough work to go around"... which I took to mean his first thought was finding work for his workers.. back at Kellys. Good man.. good Irishman.. good family.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Been there a few times when doing jobs in Ocean Grove, Kelly's East we called it. Bradley Beach jobs we stop at Darcy's, Belmar/Wall-Boathouse, Sea Girt/Spring Lake- Harrigan's, Farmingdale area-Mulligan's. Manasquan- well we pack a lunch. 🤪

Last edited:
I like Harrigan's too.
I don't drink but my guys like to have a beer with lunch so I oblige their request. Me I like to sample some of the finer cuisine at some of our local watering holes. So while they're getting burgers, I'll have the filet mignon steak please.

Reactions: knightfan7
ADVERTISEMENT