ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

Ortley was as crowded as I've ever seen it.

Go to Avon every weekend. It has been great on the beach semi crowded but spaced out well.

A few key points. A lot of the towns like Avon , Bradley etc are using an app to get your beach badge if you are wanting to buy daily badges. No buying of badges at the booths. But.... they sell out real early. Can only speak for Avon they sold only 750 daily badges this weekend. They app opens at 7am and they are sold out by 7:30. Doesn't mean you need to be at the beach at that time but you need to have bought your badge by then.

I do feel bad for families that are doing a day trip and drive down not knowing about the app and get there and are out of luck. On top of that they changed parking in the town so you are parking pretty far away if you get there after 10.

I think we will see the amount of badges sold increase over time but for right now I love it. No idiots coming down at noon when the beach is packed and walking all the way towards the water and then sitting on top of you.
What did they change in Avon for parking? I know in other towns pre-Memorial Day they limited it to no parking on the street. But that seems to have changed. Some places though are still doing the every other space on Ocean Ave.

And if the beach is really crowded or if it's realty hot people (especially that part) will migrate to the waters edge now matter how packed it already is.

A lot of people avoid Spring Lake because of limited food options and no food allowed on the beach. That said, sounds like a safer beach for social distancing.

Daily badges were sold out both days too.

I think they are definitely selling less badges per square foot of beach than Belmar.

It was very hard to get a season pass as well. At least after they were on sale for a couple of days, there was a waiting list for season passes but residents could get 5 for $1,350 - which includes access to the pool and a locker (but the pools aren’t open and the lockers have a pretty limited usefulness).

I think they are definitely selling less badges per square foot of beach than Belmar.

It was very hard to get a season pass as well. At least after they were on sale for a couple of days, there was a waiting list for season passes but residents could get 5 for $1,350 - which includes access to the pool and a locker (but the pools aren’t open and the lockers have a pretty limited usefulness).
The full size lockers are nice, especially at the South End where you can change while your stuff is still inside with you. The half ones at the North End are functional if you don't have lots of stuff. But they have full ones too, just not as big as the South ones.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
A lot of people avoid Spring Lake because of limited food options and no food allowed on the beach. That said, sounds like a safer beach for social distancing.
+1
Certain shore towns keep options limited and avoid other attractions that would make the town more crowded. This is why we go down to Stone Harbor. The town/island is never crowded, family focused, and chill. However, it is close to WW for the boardwalk/rides and CM. SL has the same vibe.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
What did they change in Avon for parking? I know in other towns pre-Memorial Day they limited it to no parking on the street. But that seems to have changed. Some places though are still doing the every other space on Ocean Ave.

And if the beach is really crowded or if it's realty hot people (especially that part) will migrate to the waters edge now matter how packed it already is.

THEY ARE SOCIAL DISTANCING CARS PARKING??????????????????

Reactions: newell138

There is no parking on Ocean Ave and all other streets are parallel parking taking away the angle parking. So I gather every car parking is taking away 2-3 spots they had last year.

As for people coming late and plopping down on your lap, I have a major issue with that. I am there at 6am and save a few spaces for my friends that come around 8. I am very aware of the tide line and situate my chairs accordingly. Nothing worse then the people that come at noon walk through everybody and plant their chairs right on top of you and then you have the ones that have no clue that there are tides and see open sand and put their seats there only to start inching back into you when the tide comes in.

Last edited:
There is no parking on Ocean Ave and all other streets are parallel parking taking away the angle parking. So I gather every car parking is taking away 2-3 spots they had last year.

As for people coming late and plopping down on your lap, I have a major issue with that. I am there at 6am and save a few spaces for my friends that come around 8. I am very aware of the tide line and situate my chairs accordingly. Nothing worse then the people that come at noon walk through everybody and plant their chairs right on top of you and then you have the ones that have no clue that their are tides and see open sand and put their seats there only to start inching back into you when the tide comes in.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Summer at the Jersey Shore!

:ThumbsDown
Bad advice. Grew up in EB and did all the northern shore towns (down to LBI). Compared to south of AC, they are meh at best. Too crowded and full of bennies (who don't go south of LBI).

Besides Ocean City I don't really like any of them. I'd rather the New Yorkers than the Pennsylvania hill people.

It was a way to keep the crowds down in normally packed areas. Until this past Saturday Manasquan had every other space parking in certain locations. As of Saturday they went back to normal.

Besides Ocean City I don't really like any of them. I'd rather the New Yorkers than the Pennsylvania hill people.
They are both annoying in unique ways. However, PA nuts leave the shore in early/mid Aug because many PA schools start before Labor Day. Our Stone Harbor vacations are in Aug anyway, so we get to enjoy this dynamic!

Manasquan initially said they were going to limit season badges ($85) and discontinue day badges for an undetermined time while they evaluated the situation. In two weeks last month they sold 17,000 season badges, a 5,000 badge increase over 2019. After 2 weeks of evaluation (cough, cough), this past weekend they started selling more season passes and reopened day badge sales.

A cynic could say they saw restrictions imposed by surrounding towns and went for the $ grab. They already had to close one stretch of beach on a Saturday because it was so crowded distancing became impossible.

They are both annoying in unique ways. However, PA nuts leave the shore in early/mid Aug because many PA schools start before Labor Day. Our Stone Harbor vacations are in Aug anyway, so we get to enjoy this dynamic!

Once you go south of AC, the Pen St gear worn by the flocks is quite nauseating

I rarely visit anywhere other than Belmar/SL/Squan or AC

Sometimes Jenks late night, a few recent trips to AP for the biergarten during the afternoon hours

And SSH when my buddies are meeting up with friends

Last edited:
Once you go south of AC, the Pen St gear worn by the flocks is quite nauseating

I rarely visit anywhere other than Belmar/SL/Squan or AC

Sometimes Jenks late night, a few recent trips to AP for the biergarten during the afternoon hours
Down in SH, you see some Phillies or Eagles stuff, but rarely PSU. Not sure if it is due to the tarnished reputation of the school or just a different type of demo goes to SH. The PSU riff-raff probably go to Wildwood!
:)

Have had a lot of space here in Asbury on the beach on the weekends. School is ending this week so I will have a lot more time during the week and expect tons of room to spread out.

Only thing we have noticed are how Ill informed people are about the restrictions. Have heard numerous people come to the entrance and harrass the 15 year old badge checkers that tell them the badges are sold out.

If I was visiting somewhere I think I would check out the rules, etc.. especially at this time.

Also motorcycles, bicycles, skateboards, big wheels,mopeds, dune buggy’s, scooters, motorized bicycles, skateboards that have the stick you hold, and those hoppy things

I'm holding out til the bars are open to get the true experience I'm used to
that's what I want to know. Looking to take a day trip over but I am not a beach lover. Just want to walk the boards, grab some food, or at least a drink. Places are still all closed for outside consumption, correct?

I think the actual virus is called COVID-19. Wuhan virus is just what the racists call it.
Virtue-signaling-meme.jpg

You mean the actual Chinese, who historically are the most racist people in the World, what they called it until they figured out they were getting bad publicity.

You got to realize that 2014 is a sherriff in the Thought Police

He decides what's acceptable or unacceptable based on his opinion.

He has a large force of deputies that reside in Left City, USA.

I say we defund the Thought Police and replace them with Free Thinking Marshalls

***To be crystal clear, I'm not referring to Rich or the mods as the deputies

Last edited:
that's what I want to know. Looking to take a day trip over but I am not a beach lover. Just want to walk the boards, grab some food, or at least a drink. Places are still all closed for outside consumption, correct?
1984, no you can eat outside.

In Spring Lake it is mandated for the public bathrooms and for the locker area to get your stuff. I think you need one for the snack bar in the pavilions too, although not sure.
Yes you must wear a mask when going into the Pavilion snack bar. Was just there yesterday at South end! Sundae times ice cream also requires a mask.

In over 70 years I have never seen the SL beach crowded, as long as you were willing to move away from the 2 pavilions.

Dad used to operate the food/ice cream stand at the South end of the SL boardwalk, or I should say my Sisters and my Mom, as Dad was either life guarding or working on his tan...(Johnson Johnson Baby oil mixed with a few drops of Iodine.

People do seem to be spacing much better on the beach this year, presumably due to Covid. But Saturday was the first really hot day, once it gets hotter they will cram closer to the water. I do wish there was a way to enforce a policy of arrival time corresponding to allowed locations to setup shop. It would be almost impossible to enforce unfortunately.

I also went to Squan on Thursday and it seemed very crowded for a weekday before school dismissals. I was theorizing that perhaps a fair amount of renters are down more often/earlier due to being laid off or work from home.

ADVERTISEMENT