ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

Did your flood insurance go up significantly this year? Mine is going up 15% as did a friend's. It's still only 10% what it was 5 years ago but that's why the house was lifted. It's now increased over 25% since.
My old house had some minor flooding, mainly the crawlspace and all the HVAC ductwork underneath during Sandy, but my insurance actually went down over the years. OC did a lot of proactive things to get it down like building up dunes. I also had my flood cert redone as my flood vents were not being accounted for.

In the new place I'm up on stilts 8 feet high. It makes going to the grocery store fun but flood insurance is only a few hundred per year.

Saw 2 50-60 year old couples walking down Main St (west of 71) Manasquan with red solo cups. It was the middle of the day 1-2 pm. Store owner said be careful that open container are not legal (very kindly). Couples were arrogant and said mind your own business it's legal everywhere. Don't understand the necessity to walk down the street at all times with alcohol. Not against creating zones or certain days where it is legal. But full time anywhere is not good.
You know what if you can now have a CCW in NJ I see no reason why anyone can search my red solo cup for alcohol.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Sure. Cops in places like Camden should be paid more.

Cops in places like Uvalde or elsewhere where they abdicate their duties should be paid less.

YOUR example.
Camden did not pay the cops more. The canned the local union and hired county cops at a lower rate. They got a state grant and hired more cops at a lower rate. Your example.

They reformed the PD. Reform works.
They moved to a county model. Where the surrounding towns saw one town was the real problem in the area. By going to the county model, the surrounding towns could pour more police and resources into patrolling Camden. Thus stopping the criminal element from spreading to their towns. The reform was simply putting more uniforms on the streets in the problem areas. This was not a defund the police reform where they hire more social workers and spend on useless social programs.

Last edited:
My old house had some minor flooding, mainly the crawlspace and all the HVAC ductwork underneath during Sandy, but my insurance actually went down over the years. OC did a lot of proactive things to get it down like building up dunes. I also had my flood cert redone as my flood vents were not being accounted for.

In the new place I'm up on stilts 8 feet high. It makes going to the grocery store fun but flood insurance is only a few hundred per year.
Being elevated like that , do you have any issues with pipes freezing in the winter ?

"state laws legalizing recreational marijuana for adults significantly limited police enforcement power when dealing with underage drinking and pot possession."

Multiple laws and policies under Murphy have handcuffed and demonized law enforcement and will continue to erode quality of life for families.
And improve the quality of life for the rest of us!

Saw 2 50-60 year old couples walking down Main St (west of 71) Manasquan with red solo cups. It was the middle of the day 1-2 pm. Store owner said be careful that open container are not legal (very kindly). Couples were arrogant and said mind your own business it's legal everywhere. Don't understand the necessity to walk down the street at all times with alcohol. Not against creating zones or certain days where it is legal. But full time anywhere is not good.

Manasquan is a great example for a zone. They don't have the hater population in some other towns and it's pretty walkable.

They moved to a county model. Where the surrounding towns saw one town was the real problem in the area. By going to the county model, the surrounding towns could pour more police and resources into patrolling Camden. Thus stopping the criminal element from spreading to their towns. The reform was simply putting more uniforms on the streets in the problem areas. This was not a defund the police reform where they hire more social workers and spend on useless social programs.

I didn't say it was defund. I said it was reform. It worked.

NJ has a lot of models for a lot of national problems. That's just one.

That said, I don't see many places modeling the specials in the shore towns though...

I didn't say it was defund. I said it was reform. It worked.

NJ has a lot of models for a lot of national problems. That's just one.

That said, I don't see many places modeling the specials in the shore towns though...
Because it is fairly unique? What other area of the country has an influx of tourists that significantly balloons the population, when a lot of those tourists are young and sometimes rowdy/inebriated, causing problems for year-round residents? Don't think the Delaware or Virginia beaches have this problem, but have not studied the problem.

Because it is fairly unique? What other area of the country has an influx of tourists that significantly balloons the population, when a lot of those tourists are young and sometimes rowdy/inebriated, causing problems for year-round residents? Don't think the Delaware or Virginia beaches have this problem, but have not studied the problem.

The Hamptons
Cape Cod has places like Provincetown
Newport RI
Dewey Beach DE
Ocean City MD

Not sure about Virginia but Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach would seem to qualify

It's required for me to belittle the Hamptons as a cultural matter, lol. But they're horribly restrictive- they even banned Uber. Though I'm sure Sea Girt has thought about it.
I enjoy the change of pace when I visit my Wife’s side of the family out on the East End.

It’s different, vastly different. But fun to sample for a bit.

I like it here much more. All of it, the good and the bad.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Or have plans. I go every year to Wildwood Crest. My concern is my elderly mother who always goes with us. I know I can leave her home and we wouldn't do anything until later in the season but this is tough.
Are you guys skipping shore trips this year because of the virus? Anyway thanks the information and best wishes.

No, I have not been to the Jersey Shore.

What’s it like?

No, I have not been to the Jersey Shore.

What’s it like?
Quick rundown based on several posters:
Sandy Hook down through LBI just plain sucks. Questionable visitors, hard sand and crappy beaches. Avoid.
South of LBI- long drive, expect to sit 2-12 hours in traffic from North Jersey, and flies like you can't believe.
Nobody goes to the beaches in Jersey anymore- they are too crowded.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Quick rundown based on several posters:
Sandy Hook down through LBI just plain sucks. Questionable visitors, hard sand and crappy beaches. Avoid.
South of LBI- long drive, expect to sit 2-12 hours in traffic from North Jersey, and flies like you can't believe.
Nobody goes to the beaches in Jersey anymore- they are too crowded.
Lol.

Sounds wonderful

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lol.

Sounds wonderful
Like anything else in life, it depends on what you like and what you make of it.
Some like the beaches in Monmouth and Northern Ocean County because they are easier and quicker to get to, but expect crowds and more diverse groups of people.
If you want quieter and less crowded, but a longer drive, head south of LBI, even south of Atlantic City. To many people however, you find your spot in the sand, and if you like, you take a dip in the Ocean, find a place you like to eat, and you go home. For those with kids, there are several beaches with boardwalks, rides and attractions. It's not that complicated. To each their own.

I'll have to find out how much Monmouth Beach paid to get the 44th spot.
Why? It's a nice beach and fairly private. Great for locals. The fact that they have Sea Bright (just north) at #5 is stupid. They seem to penalize towns that don't have a lot of parking. That's a major plus for locals.

And Wildwood at 39 is ridiculous. It is a great beach. They dinged it because it is too wide and too far to walk to the ocean.

Why? It's a nice beach and fairly private. Great for locals. The fact that they have Sea Bright (just north) at #5 is stupid. They seem to penalize towns that don't have a lot of parking. That's a major plus for locals.

And Wildwood at 39 is ridiculous. It is a great beach. They dinged it because it is too wide and too far to walk to the ocean.
I saw that list last year, really stupid. Nothing wrong with WW's beach, just the people at the beach. LOL!

So people won't come. Big issues over the last couple of years with to many people coming. To many cars on the roads, to many cars parking on the streets and to many people leaving trash, changing and even going to the bathroom in people's yards. As a local you almost feel trapped.

So people won't come. Big issues over the last couple of years with to many people coming. To many cars on the roads, to many cars parking on the streets and to many people leaving trash, changing and even going to the bathroom in people's yards. As a local you almost feel trapped.
Yeah, we have seen that at a lot of beaches since the summer of 2020, when people were doing more local vacations/staycations. We have not been to the beach in the summer since 2019, and we go out on our boat instead.

Long Beach township ranked lower for lack of parking too. I know of blocks where people with driveways still park on the street to keep day trippers away lol

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Long Beach township ranked lower for lack of parking too. I know of blocks where people with driveways still park on the street to keep day trippers away lol
Guilty- but not so much to hurt day trippers, but to leave room for family/friends/guests to park and to have to avoid having to pick up visitors' garbage that they leave at the curb after they leave. Do these people do that in front of their own homes? And visitors wonder why the locals don't welcome them all with open arms. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Lavalletions call that North Lavallette! Did the license come from the liquor store there?
No idea. Was surprised to see another “pub” in town. Yes, North Lavallette is a different world than South. I guess the real question is where does North start?

No idea. Was surprised to see another “pub” in town. Yes, North Lavallette is a different world than South. I guess the real question is where does North start?
It's just North Lavallette and the real Lavallette. North starts with the 3 blocks north of Ortley Ave, the end of the Boardwalk. Greatest Ave in the universe, at least when we lived there. Technically "North Lavallette" doesn't exist anymore except for the lifelong residents down there. It was a part of Dover Township AKA Tom's River. There was never a bar there so they acquired one of the very few in Lavallette. Somebody gave it up.

I enjoy the change of pace when I visit my Wife’s side of the family out on the East End.

It’s different, vastly different. But fun to sample for a bit.

I like it here much more. All of it, the good and the bad.

Everything in our area is much less isolated. Even as much as people will run into obstacles, the area isn't trying to keep people out as actively as the Hamptons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT