ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

From a bartender I know who gets a large number of fans on Sunday nights, there's a ton of Steeler fans in the area. They're also the most pleasant as a rule. The only other teams that consistently bring out larger than average number of fans are Giants, Cowboys, and Packers.

Thanks for sharing this inside info from your bartender friend. I would have never known there’s a lot of Steelers, Packers and Cowboys fans outside of their respective markets and that NJ is unique in this regard.

Reactions: JawnSzn
Thanks for sharing this inside info from your bartender friend. I would have never known there’s a lot of Steelers, Packers and Cowboys fans outside of their respective markets and that NJ is unique in this regard.

I wonder if he sees a lot of Patriots fans too

There is a reason the *gate is only at the Belmar side and not the Sea Girt end.

* As I little kid I asked my Mom, why is that gate/archway there? She said it was to keep out the barbarians, my dear. LOL
[roll]
That's some motherly truth. In my family's beloved Stone Harbor, we have several miles of marsh and wetlands protecting us from the WW barbarians. Looking to take 3-4 beach day trips in July to Spring Lake. We are good friends with a family that owns in Bradley Beach, which is okay, but SL is more our style.

Did you grow up in SL? Still there?

[roll]
That's some motherly truth. In my family's beloved Stone Harbor, we have several miles of marsh and wetlands protecting us from the WW barbarians. Looking to take 3-4 beach day trips in July to Spring Lake. We are good friends with a family that owns in Bradley Beach, which is okay, but SL is more our style.

Did you grow up in SL? Still there?
A little further inland now, right over Rte. 71 on the “higher” ground (@Knight Shift and @knightfan7 will appreciate that - lol) But did live in Sea Girt. My Parents are still there. Younger years in Middletown. When we lived there we belonged to one of the beach clubs in Sea Bright...the Peninsula House. Great place to grow up and spend your younger summer years at. It burned down while I was at Rutgers and that prompted my Parents to head back down to Avon, Spring Lake and Sea Girt. With Sea Girt eventually winning out. I love Monmouth County.

Bradley Beach has a very cute miniature golf course right on the ocean. And hopefully your friends have told you about Ocean Grove?

Last edited:
A little further inland now, right over Rte. 71 on the “higher” ground (@Knight Shift and @knightfan7 will appreciate that - lol) But did live in Sea Girt. My Parents are still there. Younger years in Middletown. When we lived there we belonged to one of the beach clubs in Sea Bright...the Peninsula House. Great place to grow up and spend your younger summer years at. It burned down while I was at Rutgers and that prompted my Parents to head back down to Avon, Spring Lake and Sea Girt. With Sea Girt eventually winning out. I love Monmouth County.

Bradley Beach has a very cute miniature golf course right on the ocean. And hopefully your friends have told you about Ocean Grove?
Nope, don't know about Ocean Grove. Their house is on Brinley, so we walk straight down the road for the beach. Can't venture too far with 4 young kids between us.

I grew up in East Brunswick, parents still there. Did PP, SH, and LBI all through childhood, HS, and college. Seemed like every year the bennies increased or got more annoying or both. SL seems like one of the few refuges on the northern shore. :)

Nope, don't know about Ocean Grove. Their house is on Brinley, so we walk straight down the road for the beach. Can't venture too far with 4 young kids between us.

I grew up in East Brunswick, parents still there. Did PP, SH, and LBI all through childhood, HS, and college. Seemed like every year the bennies increased or got more annoying or both. SL seems like one of the few refuges on the northern shore. :)
You should spent an afternoon or evening in Ocean Grove.
The Great Auditorium. The tent homes. Days Ice Cream! Highly recommend the restaurant Sea Grass (if it is still open).

We have a RU friend also on Brinley .. About 3 blocks up. an RU guy. We're actually heading there Friday & Saturday this weekend

Reactions: T2Kplus10
We went to Sandy Hook today(bayside) watched the kite boarders/surfers(?)
It was beautiful out. I saw one lady and a child with a mask. Otherwise, I saw a few random kids playing together. Some dude and his dog came to talk to us as he was leaving. I looked at my friend and said is this Match.com? Lol
Of course I tried to go into Quick Check mask-less and a woman was like "Miss.. your mask!!" I responded "Oh, sorry I forgot and BTW thanks for not calling me Ma'am." :Wink:Bwhahaha.

My wife and I were biking in Sandy Hook a couple weeks ago. The dynamics in the parking lot at the nude beach always intrigues me as we ride by. I would expect to see lots of middle age/older men but there are the occasional families with little kids and it seems like everyone is staring at you even when you are on your bike, just riding past.

One of my best friends from RU's parents used to actually run naked vacations and cruises to Europe and lived in a clothing optional place down in FL. I still remember the day we all found out, so funny. To this day he refuses to talk about it but we all quickly realized why he never invited any of us to his parents house in FL.

Reactions: Jm0513
LOL
The nude beach is weird. Yep, some people bring kids. A friend and I ended up there once because every other lot was full. We kept our suits on and kids at home.. haha. It definitely wasn't like Miami..
I thought it was odd cause there was a rope and next to it was the "normal" beach.
Sandy Hook is my least favorite place to go, but sitting by the bay was actually nice. I was w/ a friend who has a 5 and 2.5 yr old. We were able to sit and chat and not worry the kids would be in danger near the ocean.

Some of those bay beaches do look pretty nice w/ all the sandbars, especially if you have little kids. The only time I ever went there on the bay side was when my brother lived in Atlantic Highlands and we would go wind surfing out in the bay. That was 20 plus years ago though.

Reactions: Jm0513
Has anyone been down to wildwood yet? I'm going down to my place this weekend and just wondering if anyone has any in site. Thanks

Some of those bay beaches do look pretty nice w/ all the sandbars, especially if you have little kids. The only time I ever went there on the bay side was when my brother lived in Atlantic Highlands and we would go wind surfing out in the bay. That was 20 plus years ago though.
Just south of Sandy Hook there is a fantastic, unguarded Sea Bright beach. The only problem is there is parking on one or two streets that run off of Ocean Ave. There is a decent (not great) break there for surfing, the beach is uncrowded because of the lack of parknig. Many people from the Highlands walk over the large bridge to this beach.

Reactions: RUshore99
Just south of Sandy Hook there is a fantastic, unguarded Sea Bright beach. The only problem is there is parking on one or two streets that run off of Ocean Ave. There is a decent (not great) break there for surfing, the beach is uncrowded because of the lack of parknig. Many people from the Highlands walk over the large bridge to this beach.

There's a second beach spot like this also towards the southern part. Not much parking so not many people end up there and it is free.

D'Jais f'ing up again. Just sell the place already.
https://www.app.com/story/news/health/2020/06/22/belmars-djais-under-fire-weekend-crowds/3237980001/
Belmar's D'Jais under fire for rambunctious weekend crowds

Colonel Patrick Callahan, the superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, got more specific.
"The fact that asymptomatic and younger populations being key factors in transmitting (COVID-19), to see D'jais and the boardwalks and those large crowds that are not socially distancing and no facial coverings gives us a tremendous cause for concern."

Not the best Colonel the NJSP has ever had, but that's just my opinion up here West of West Point.

There are other things behind this, not just COVID-19 stuff.

Does DJ's still put caps on mixed drinks to keep some from drugging girls ?

Our house on Jupiter Island (Fla) was near the north end's Federal Wildlife Refuge which I found out while walking the beach with Mary Anne had a nude beach.

It/they weren't what I had envisioned in my teen years....:Shocked

Last edited:
Headed to the beach on Friday with 3 kids. Need a location recommendation for Pt. Pleasant or further north location? Just 3 hours on the beach and lunch. Do we need passes? Info appreciated.

It goes back to the days and the Giants couldn't sell out Yankee Stadium so most all home games were blacked out locally. So many including myself latched on to the Cowboys( or Green Bay, SF etc). As a young kid NYC was a far away as any other big city. My father loved football but didn't have a regular team. Each year he would announce his team for the year. Was pretty good at it too. Had the Jets in 1968.

Reactions: knightfan7
Headed to the beach on Friday with 3 kids. Need a location recommendation for Pt. Pleasant or further north location? Just 3 hours on the beach and lunch. Do we need passes? Info appreciated.

Its south of PP but in my opinion Island Beach State Park cant be beat for day trips. Admission is per car load and you can bring your own lunch. Showers and changing area are also available. That was our go to when the kids were little, followed by an evening at PP boards

Reactions: RU Golfer
It goes back to the days and the Giants couldn't sell out Yankee Stadium so most all home games were blacked out locally. So many including myself latched on to the Cowboys( or Green Bay, SF etc). As a young kid NYC was a far away as any other big city. My father loved football but didn't have a regular team. Each year he would announce his team for the year. Was pretty good at it too. Had the Jets in 1968.

Exactly although before that home games were blacked out whether a sell out or not. I'm thinking prior to 1970. Growing up I was a Colts fan because it seemed very often whenever the Giants were blacked out Johnny U and the Colts were playing GB, LA, or SF in the Western Division.

Fun fact: While the rest of the NFL kicked off at 1pm, the Colts home games had a 2pm kick because of pressure from area churches iirc.

Reactions: BuckRU and RUaMoose
Go to Avon every weekend. It has been great on the beach semi crowded but spaced out well.

A few key points. A lot of the towns like Avon , Bradley etc are using an app to get your beach badge if you are wanting to buy daily badges. No buying of badges at the booths. But.... they sell out real early. Can only speak for Avon they sold only 750 daily badges this weekend. They app opens at 7am and they are sold out by 7:30. Doesn't mean you need to be at the beach at that time but you need to have bought your badge by then.

I do feel bad for families that are doing a day trip and drive down not knowing about the app and get there and are out of luck. On top of that they changed parking in the town so you are parking pretty far away if you get there after 10.

I think we will see the amount of badges sold increase over time but for right now I love it. No idiots coming down at noon when the beach is packed and walking all the way towards the water and then sitting on top of you.

We went to Avon today. Despite being unaware of the requirement to purchase only via the app, we were able to get passes (this was around 10am). A great day--lots of space on the beach, didn't feel crowded. Mask use was minimal on the boardwalk.

I would say do Belmar because you can get the badges right at the booth not in advance or an app and they wont sell out, beaches are wide and large.

they have a parking app where you put your info in beforehand and it gsps your car basically so when you get there you open the app and just put it in the time you are going to be there and it charges you.

Reactions: Mr. Gerbz
Has anyone been down to wildwood yet? I'm going down to my place this weekend and just wondering if anyone has any in site. Thanks

We were down in Crest this past weekend and things looked a lot more normal than they did a few weeks ago. Lots of people out and about, most of the restaurants are open for takeout and outdoor dining. Masks are required until you get to your table. Had dinner and some drinks at the Crab House one night. First time in months we were out at a restaurant so it felt nice.

Kids had a blast on the beach, went to Duffer's for ice cream (ordered online for curbside pickup), but we didn't venture anywhere near the boardwalk which we rarely do anyway so I can't speak to that. Spent some time in Cape May and Stone Harbor as well which were equally as lively this time around.

Worse part about that area are all the damn PSU fans.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I wonder if he sees a lot of Patriots fans too
bet there's a whole bunch of bandwagon kids claiming they have been Patriot fans for a long time.. and will be for life. That's why there's so many Steeler fans, Cowboy fans, Miami Hurricane fans (or were in that case). At least the state's Yankee frontrunner fans kinda have a regional claim.

Reactions: knightfan7
Been in Avalon all week.

weather is great. Places are open for takeout and some limited outside dining.

People are doing a great job respecting distance at the beach.

masks are being worn in stores...supermarkets, etc.

great week for my family of 11.

At Surf City earlier this week for a day trip. Can’t think of any issue. Social distancing was good at the beach. BBQ’d with friends. Record time up and down the GSP.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Had plans to go to Donovan's Reef for a Dead cover band but after the screwed the pooch this past weekend it got canceled.

bet there's a whole bunch of bandwagon kids claiming they have been Patriot fans for a long time.. and will be for life. That's why there's so many Steeler fans, Cowboy fans, Miami Hurricane fans (or were in that case). At least the state's Yankee frontrunner fans kinda have a regional claim.

Friend is Steeler Season Ticket, drives from Wall to every Home and close game for years

I was down at Wildwood this weekend and the only thing I can tell you is to bring a tent. The beaches were packed and families would set up right next to you with no regards to social distancing. The boardwalk was even worse with maybe 25% of the people wearing masks. Cape May was a totally different story with over 75% of the people wearing masks, not sure about the beach as I didn't go down but Washington street was much "safer" than the boardwalk in Wildwood.

Reactions: patk89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT