ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

I think that was just an advertising sign.

On the right was I B Kirsch's property. Kiddie Rides, eats, arcade, a shop or two, and another eatery. It's all condos now (across from Leggetts).

In the early 60's my parents would rent a house from Kirsch a couple doors down from Leggetts. I can still hear calliope music coming from the rides.

I think that was just an advertising sign.

On the right was I B Kirsch's property. Kiddie Rides, eats, arcade, a shop or two, and another eatery. It's all condos now (across from Leggetts).

In the early 60's my parents would rent a house from Kirsch a couple doors down from Leggetts. I can still hear calliope music coming from the rides.
Has to be advertising. Kiddie rides were gone when I started polluting Squan beach with my presence. But remember Kirsch's food and arcades, and think we have covered the awesome water slide that was where the George Lu sign was in the 1980's--remember the summer (1982?) WAPP radio station debuted, they used to play that station over the water slide loudspeaker.

Has to be advertising. Kiddie rides were gone when I started polluting Squan beach with my presence. But remember Kirsch's food and arcades, and think we have covered the awesome water slide that was where the George Lu sign was in the 1980's--remember the summer (1982?) WAPP radio station debuted, they used to play that station over the water slide loudspeaker.
I think that was 1983.

And we didn’t come this far south until after college as my family at that point was doing Avon when we were really little and then the Sea Bright beach club scene (Peninsula House) until it burned down while I was at Rutgers.

Tonight's house parties will be hopping I'm sure, lots of people want to unleash built up stress and anxiety in a fun manner.

I decided to skip tonight and roll into Belmar tomorrow, early afternoon for some grilling and day drinking out back and on the front porch.

Today is a serious lifting day with lots of powerade and water, and manscaping

Have a fun and safe weekend and celebrate your independence!!

Tonight's house parties will be hopping I'm sure, lots of people want to unleash built up stress and anxiety in a fun manner.

I decided to skip tonight and roll into Belmar tomorrow, early afternoon for some grilling and day drinking out back and on the front porch.

I've seen a number of house parties every Friday and Saturday so far but expect this weekend to be a bit more intense and wide spread.

Have fun Bud. Make friends with more than just the vodka bottle:Wink:

I wish was in the Dakotas this weekend, should be a great celebration

When I was about 12 I spent a summer in S. Dakota and it was awesome. My sister was working as a nurse practitioner at the Rosebud Indian Reservation for many years and my younger sister and I spent a good 5-6 weeks there on and off the res. We panned for gold, went caving in Wind Cave, visited Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments, camped under the stars, rock climbed and learned how to repel. We were also very fortunate to see an actual Sundance at the reservation and the only reason they let us in was because of my sister and how long she had known them. They did make us leave for the part where they are tethered to the pole though and not sure I would have wanted to see that anyway. Mt Rushmore was very cool though and I would recommend to anyone who has not been, its worth the trip and just driving in the Black Hills is awe inspiring.

Reactions: fsg2 and bac2therac

Did we need to know you will be manscaping today, lol

Reactions: fsg2
Did we need to know you will be manscaping today, lol
FHamaF1uMSYT32QVAAJi_SnHwkTLAOMSi21y6lJQHWQK0RKvF7dDitbZY0_My9G-qjsK8XUz1j21tJP3gf6F5GgXu5pIWM-NLwJS5BivGDUaWfkojsq51IM9nPndVf2wcID8sr9PjQ

When I was about 12 I spent a summer in S. Dakota and it was awesome. My sister was working as a nurse practitioner at the Rosebud Indian Reservation for many years and my younger sister and I spent a good 5-6 weeks there on and off the res. We panned for gold, went caving in Wind Cave, visited Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments, camped under the stars, rock climbed and learned how to repel. We were also very fortunate to see an actual Sundance at the reservation and the only reason they let us in was because of my sister and how long she had known them. They did make us leave for the part where they are tethered to the pole though and not sure I would have wanted to see that anyway. Mt Rushmore was very cool though and I would recommend to anyone who has not been, its worth the trip and just driving in the Black Hills is awe inspiring.

Ex Trooper friend moved from Montana to S Dak, He recently FB'ed a picture of him holding up an about 8 foot long snake with some snake holding tool. He said the snake was not poisonous, I told him that wasn't the issue.
The issue was why did he have that tool available in his garage, in the first place ?

Ex Trooper friend moved from Montana to S Dak, He recently FB'ed a picture of him holding up an about 8 foot long snake with some snake holding tool. He said the snake was not poisonous, I told him that wasn't the issue.
The issue was why did he have that tool available in his garage, in the first place ?

It's a handy thing to have when you need it. Tried catching a snake that got into my neighbor's garage (snakes turn him into a fearful little girl) and it was damn near impossible as it kept slithering behind stuff, below shelves, etc. Definitely needed a proper grabber I lacked. Eventually just left the door open and let it see itself out.

Also watched a six-footer slither its way across the vertical rock wall in my yard. Freaky.

I've come across bears and gators but the time I saw a 3? ft Water Moc from about 20 ft away sunning itself on the green of a SC golf course really freaked me out. That's about as close as I ever want to be.

Snakes....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've come across bears and gators but the time I saw a 3 ft Water Moc from about 20 ft away sunning itself on the green of a SC golf course really freaked me out. That's about as close as I ever want to be.

Snakes....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lots of snakes up here, they keep the field mice population down, along with the foxes and hawks

Just have a feeling We'll see some of the biggest crowds ever on The Jersey Shore this weekend...Add to it the crazy amount of PA and NY residents visiting, and the opening of rides and Arcades..Along with the Hot forecast this weekend is going to be epic!

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
@e5fdny and @knightfan7

Spent a nice afternoon in Spring Lake today with the family. Beautiful weather, easy parking, good crowd at the beach, but it was a nice, comfortable atmosphere with no problems keeping distance. My daughter was in the water for a good 90 mins, which was surprisingly warm (perhaps not warm, but comfortable). Quality place with quality clientele. :)

As mentioned before, the beach is split into 6 sections. We went for #1 which is the closest to Sea Girt. They had 4 temporary individual bathrooms set-up at the end of the boardwalk, which was perfect (one of those trailers).

Picked up Hoffman's on the way out. Excellent, but not as good as Springer's in SH! Will return in a week or two.

@e5fdny and @knightfan7

Spent a nice afternoon in Spring Lake today with the family. Beautiful weather, easy parking, good crowd at the beach, but it was a nice, comfortable atmosphere with no problems keeping distance. My daughter was in the water for a good 90 mins, which was surprisingly warm (perhaps not warm, but comfortable). Quality place with quality clientele. :)

As mentioned before, the beach is split into 6 sections. We went for #1 which is the closest to Sea Girt. They had 4 temporary individual bathrooms set-up at the end of the boardwalk, which was perfect (one of those trailers).

Picked up Hoffman's on the way out. Excellent, but not as good as Springer's in SH! Will return in a week or two.
That bathroom was re-installed after Sandy. Before, there was even a little concession stand in the same area. Don't know why it never came back.

Glad you liked and hope you drove around a little bit to see the sites. Btw, Sundae Times was basically in walking distance.

I was in the water on Wednesday and it was kinda rough but not cold. Like you said...very comfortable.

Not sure if noticed the big structure on the beach to your north. That's the South Pavilion. Built during the Depression as a WPA project like Rutgers Stadium. It has lockers, a big saltwater pool (and kiddie pool), bathrooms, an upstairs where you can eat whatever you bring with a wonderful view. It has the snack bar with the concession stand I mentioned in a previous post.

It's soon to be redone like the North one (where I am) was a few years ago.

Again, any questions...feel free to ask.

@e5fdny and @knightfan7

That bathroom was re-installed after Sandy. Before, there was even a little concession stand in the same area. Don't know why it never came back.

Glad you liked and hope you drove around a little bit to see the sites. Btw, Sundae Times was basically in walking distance.

I was in the water on Wednesday and it was kinda rough but not cold. Like you said...very comfortable.

Not sure if noticed the big structure on the beach to your north. That's the South Pavilion. Built during the Depression as a WPA project like Rutgers Stadium. It has lockers, a big saltwater pool (and kiddie pool), bathrooms, an upstairs where you can eat whatever you bring with a wonderful view. It has the snack bar with the concession stand I mentioned in a previous post.

There's water at the beach? I guess that's the pounding I hear over and over. I plop my butt on the chair not moving till it's time to leave.

The gang I sit with kidded me about going in the water for years. Finally Labor Day 2 years ago I stood up and announced I was going in the water. With everyone in shocked disbelief and forgetting I was 68, not 18 I ran down and tried to do a 360 flip into the water. Only made about 220. OUCH. I stood up as straight as I could to cheers from my friends. I took a bow and immediately got wiped out by the next wave.

Despite the pleading every time we're up there, I haven't been in the water since.

Thanks, we will check out that ice cream shop next time. We parked on York, so only 3 blocks away. We saw the pavilion in the distance, but didn't need to go over to it since we had the other bathrooms available.

Yeah, a concession stand would be nice. The only whine from our daughter was the lack of a "snack shake". She is use to one in SH. Thinking about our next visit, any good restaurants to check out? Our daughter likes all kinds of places.

Prior to the little one, we have been to SL a few times. Good buddy of mine got married at Breakers (@Rhuarc ). We drove around a bit today, very nice town. Interesting that is doesn't feel like a quintessential beach town until a few blocks away from the ocean (as compared to a barrier island town). Still, very impressive and clearly the crown jewel of the northern shore!

Reactions: Scarlet1984
There's water at the beach? I guess that's the pounding I hear over and over. I plop my butt on the chair not moving till it's time to leave.

The gang I sit with kidded me about going in the water for years. Finally Labor Day 2 years ago I stood up and announced I was going in the water. With everyone in shocked disbelief and forgetting I was 68, not 18 I ran down and tried to do a 360 flip into the water. Only made about 220. OUCH. I stood up as straight as I could to cheers from my friends. I took a bow and immediately got wiped out by the next wave.

Despite the pleading every time we're up there, I haven't been in the water since.
1. You old
2. I couldn't flip into the water when I was a college kid! On the other hand, our daughter can do a full flip off a diving board (years of swim lessons and gymnasitcs!).
3. Never let your guard down while in the ocean, the next wave is always just a few seconds away. :)

Reactions: Jm0513
Thanks, we will check out that ice cream shop next time. We parked on York, so only 3 blocks away. We saw the pavilion in the distance, but didn't need to go over to it since we had the other bathrooms available.

Yeah, a concession stand would be nice. The only whine from our daughter was the lack of a "snack shake". She is use to one in SH. Thinking about our next visit, any good restaurants to check out? Our daughter likes all kinds of places.

Prior to the little one, we have been to SL a few times. Good buddy of mine got married at Breakers (@Rhuarc ). We drove around a bit today, very nice town. Interesting that is doesn't feel like a quintessential beach town until a few blocks away from the ocean (as compared to a barrier island town). Still, very impressive and clearly the crown jewel of the northern shore!
This is what the area were you were used to look like...

The Monmouth (the actual Spring Lake is in the upper right of the pic)

755a5b5e47434ff7c32ed0b1daabb558.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/03/14/archives/era-vanishes-with-monmouth-hotel.html

The Warren (known to locals as The Pool Bar)

8137f21164b8b6053e8f2f204ef81c80.jpg

https://www.calypsointhecountry.com/2011/01/jersey-shore-nostalgia.html

The Essex and Sussex (only one still standing)

header.jpg

https://www.essexandsussexevents.com/about

Check out the date on this article and the home prices (then)...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...e-shore/a9528734-b253-4638-8bbb-e404b6e2a448/

@e5fdny and @knightfan7

#1? They should name that beach #2 based on the number of times the southern-most beach is closed due to high fecal bacteria levels. No wonder the water is so warm.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/barneg...es-shut-under-advisory-aug-bacteria-discharge

https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointpleasant/17-nj-beaches-risk-closing-due-fecal-bacteria-dep-says

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/34878985/feces-laden-water-forces-closure-of-some-nj-beaches

Reactions: rutgersdave
Water has warmed up nicely the last couple days. I went up yesterday and unfortunately they decided to start beach replenishment on my street yesterday so we had 2 blocks of beach closed along with high tide; I have never seen the beach that crowded

Water has warmed up nicely the last couple days. I went up yesterday and unfortunately they decided to start beach replenishment on my street yesterday so we had 2 blocks of beach closed along with high tide; I have never seen the beach that crowded
With no vacations in Europe or probably Asia, they are all going down to the shore.

Reactions: knightfan7
Off to Manasquan with my wife and two little ones shortly. Have had 4 gorgeous beach days so far this season and will make today a 5th!

As I'm sure you know as long as you steer clear of Main Beach and on the busiest days, Brielle Rd beach, there's plenty of room to distance as long as you don't want to sit along the water line.

The BIG issue for people is finding somewhere to park unless you get here very early or have a season permit.

As I'm sure you know as long as you steer clear of Main Beach and on the busiest days, Brielle Rd beach, there's plenty of room to distance as long as you don't want to sit along the water line.

The BIG issue for people is finding somewhere to park unless you get here very early or have a season permit.
What's your address again, and how many spots are available in your driveway?

We park in the lot near the baseball fields and roller hockey rink. Then use the beach access that takes us out onto Potters Beach off Stockton St. North end of the beach.

Last edited:
We park in the lot near the baseball fields and roller hockey rink. Then use the beach access that takes us out onto Brothers? Beach. North end of the beach.

Nice. Had friends who lived on beachfront up there. It was like their own private beach as at least back then it was never crowded.

We park in the lot near the baseball fields and roller hockey rink. Then use the beach access that takes us out onto Brothers? Beach. North end of the beach.
That is were my Sons and a lot of kids in the area get their start/taste of hockey.
Ha. I'm kinda hoping everyone who "may" show doesn't. Too much jockeying.
Used to drive my father in law crazy when family wouldn’t do the jockeying right at their beachfront rental. LOL
Nice. Had friends who lived on beachfront up there. It was like their own private beach as at least back then it was never crowded.
Hopefully not the one who complained about the “noise” from the rink. She was very annoying.

That is were my Sons and a lot of kids in the area get their start/taste of hockey.

Used to drive my father in law crazy when family wouldn’t do the jockeying right at their beachfront rental. LOL
Hopefully not the one who complained about the “noise” from the rink. She was very annoying.

Doesn't that lady life across the street on 2nd? These folks were on beachfront.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/03/14/archives/era-vanishes-with-monmouth-hotel.html

header.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...e-shore/a9528734-b253-4638-8bbb-e404b6e2a448/

Nice pics. I had my wedding reception at the Warren in the late ‘80s.

I am heading down shortly from “up north” (as the locals say), but I am dreading the traffic.

I made it into the water a couple of times this week. The published temp has to start with a “7” for me to even think about it.

Reactions: Jm0513

header.jpg

Nice! Great history. Thanks for posting.

We got there at 8:45am and there were 3 or 4 kids already out there playing. Nice little park.
Not sure if you noticed but there are lights for the rink. My boys would have practice at night and sometimes the lights were covered by the mist and fog from the Atlantic.

It was very cool to approach from the distance and watch the lights appear thru the fog. And when that happened this is what Dad always played...

Pretty good crowd in Seaside Heights today..8 Water rescues all before 1pm, When the tide started coming back in things calmed down.
106986746_10224213042220147_2997579013881008501_n.jpg

106282793_10224213032499904_6672131465907511890_n.jpg

83322628_10224214792343899_4718269974709234362_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT