ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone Else Going To See Jewel At the Wellmont Tuesday Night?

@zappaa The last time I was there was after high school. My boyfriend at the time took me to see a movie that wasn't playing in the other theatres. They always played the eccentric movies there.

Reactions: zappaa
I don’t think you red to be premium to send PMs. I just sent you a PM and gave you my cell, so we should be good to go.
Unfortunately you have to be premium to start a PM - very stupid feature of this software.

Jewel would save my soul.
Nicely done!! As an side, that was the song that caught Bob Dylan's attention, and there was an occasion in which he and Jewel were performing together (pretty sure she was opening for him), and though the opening acts and headliners frequently don't interact, after the show Dylan sent somebody to get her and bring her to his backstage room. She was starstruck, of course, because she was early in her career, and he asked her where she'd gotten the lyrics for that song. She had written it herself, and he proceeded to give her advice about her career and songwriting, which essentially amounted to, "Don't let the industry change you, not for radio, not for anything." She acceded to the advice (probably would have done it her own way anyway, but it didn't hurt to have Dylan encourage her in that direction).

Nicely done!! As an side, that was the song that caught Bob Dylan's attention, and there was an occasion in which he and Jewel were performing together (pretty sure she was opening for him), and though the opening acts and headliners frequently don't interact, after the show Dylan sent somebody to get her and bring her to his backstage room. She was starstruck, of course, because she was early in her career, and he asked her where she'd gotten the lyrics for that song. She had written it herself, and he proceeded to give her advice about her career and songwriting, which essentially amounted to, "Don't let the industry change you, not for radio, not for anything." She acceded to the advice (probably would have done it her own way anyway, but it didn't hurt to have Dylan encourage her in that direction).

Was that before or after this gem of a lyric?

I got my eggs, I got my pancakes too
I got my maple syrup, everything but you

I break the yolks and make a smiley face
I kinda like it in my brand new place

Hope it's a good show. Heard her shows can be hit or miss and sometimes very self-indulgent.

Was that before or after this gem of a lyric?

I got my eggs, I got my pancakes too
I got my maple syrup, everything but you

I break the yolks and make a smiley face
I kinda like it in my brand new place

Hope it's a good show. Heard her shows can be hit or miss and sometimes very self-indulgent.
Not sure about the chronology of the various lyrics. As for her being self-indulgent, I'm there to help her through any self-indulgent time she may be going through. It's how I roll.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not sure about the chronology of the various lyrics. As for her being self-indulgent, I'm there to help her through any self-indulgent time she may be going through. It's how I roll.
Very magnanimous of you. Interested in your review. If the show was at Count Basie in Red Bank, would probably go to check it out.

Very magnanimous of you. Interested in your review. If the show was at Count Basie in Red Bank, would probably go to check it out.
I've yet to see a show at the Basie, but it's on my list. Didn't they renovate it about 15 years ago?

Yes, and more renovations on the way. Great, intimate place to see a show. Don't like the balcony there, though. Most recent show we saw there was Buddy Guy/Johnny Lang. Fabulous.
I’m the future you’re not permitted to come to Montclair without a DM to me first, and a drink on me!

I am going with my cousin. Very excited. And now you can tell everyone I'm not a "catfish." Hahahah:joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Axe men, Robin Trower and Rick Derringer are coming to the Wellmont.
Two excellent musicians
Big fan of Robin Trower since all the way back when he was in Procol Harum.
Seen him many times. One of my favorite guitarists.
Haven't been to the Wellmont in years. I try to stay out of Montclair though....too many Trumpanzees.:eek::eek:

I think that RutgersRaRa and Jm0513 should go together to the show. Can talk about Rutgers football.
We can talk about how great the team is doing, right? How you guys want Schiano back and loathe Ash?.. Spare me..please! I hear it enough from my man. Lol

Last edited:
We can talk about how great the team is doing, right? How you guys want Schiano back and loathe Ash?.. Spare me..please! I hear it enough from my man. Lol
My convos about RU athletics with other RU fans now last all of about ten seconds, and follow a variation of the following script: "Ugh, it's brutal. I even took the magnets off my car after the seventh game, then put them back on when basketball started. Any news on when NASA says the asteroid is hitting?"

Reactions: Jm0513 and BlockR
Who will save Greg's soul when it comes to who is in the mix?
Who will save Greg's soul after all the staff that he took to Tampa, boy?
Who will save the rock solid foundation if Greg won't save Ohio State?

For the record, I just met jm0513 and she is legit—no catfishing involved. Beautiful, friendly, and got to the theater on a moment’s notice. #factsarefacts

Reactions: Jm0513
Yes, and more renovations on the way. Great, intimate place to see a show. Don't like the balcony there, though. Most recent show we saw there was Buddy Guy/Johnny Lang. Fabulous.
I love the Count Basie, but I have to agree with you about the balcony. The sound board is in the back of the theater underneath the balcony, and I doubt the sound engineer ever walks upstairs to listen because the sound up there is awful. But it is a wonderful old theater and they have some great shows.

I have seen many a show at the Wellmont over the past couple of years......because of this, they
sometimes offer me free tickets for a show when
it gets close and possibly ticket sales are lagging

I recently got free tickets for "Clairvoyant Christmas"
an act that came in second on one of these
talent shows on tv

anyway, I did get a notice for a chance of a free ticket for Jewel, which led me to believe that
ticket sales were not solid....not a pure give away, but some did get tickets that way

sounds like she has plenty of fans here

Last edited:
I have seen many a show at the Wellmont over the past couple of years......because of this, they
sometimes offer me free tickets for a show when
it gets close and possibly ticket sales are lagging

I recently went to see "Clairvoyant Christmas"
an act that came in second on one of these
talent shows on tv

anyway, I did get a notice for a chance of a free ticket for Jewel, which led me to believe that
ticket sales were not solid....not a pure give away, but some did get tickets that way

sounds like she has plenty of fans here
My guess is there were about 1,000 people, thought I didn't see the balcony section so the number might be a little higher. There were empty seats, but not a lot, and they weren't necessarily inexpensive (mine was $100 from the box office, so no additional markup). She has a solid fanbase, and she is definitely different--you don't know what you're gonna get, but she yodeled, among other things.

Reactions: wheezer
Balcony was pretty full(I was lower balcony) I looked around for tickets on a few sites and there were some pricey ones. We spent $50each. I enjoyed the show. I wasn't sure how she would be, but she definitely didn't disappoint.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
did she sing Intuition
Don’t recall her singing it. She opened with about five Christmas songs, then sang about eight of her classics and not-so-classics, then closed with about five Christmas songs. Her father, brother, nephew, and a few others performed with her, which was touching.

Don’t recall her singing it. She opened with about five Christmas songs, then sang about eight of her classics and not-so-classics, then closed with about five Christmas songs. Her father, brother, nephew, and a few others performed with her, which was touching.
Any good football talk?

Well Jm0513 and Ra Ra.
Give us your grade on the show?
Be critical...
Overall fantastic show. I liked that it was a smaller, intimate gathering. Amazing vocals still at 44.(?) I was skeptical because a lot of singers sound different from how they sounded 20years ago. She sounded basically the same. My only negative comment was Jewel had her brother join in on the one song I was really looking forward to hearing. His voice was eh. Otherwise a really great show. [thumb2] This was my first concert at the Wellmont and besides the fact it was extremely cold inside I would definitely return. (I was on the balcony near a door and there was a draft.)

Are balcony seats decent? I don't want to spend more than 50.
Was there last week for a show. Acoustics on the balcony are not so good. Better off in general admission on the floor or back by the bar downstairs.

For a view, there's no bad seats in the place. It's small.

ADVERTISEMENT