ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone Else Going To See Jewel At the Wellmont Tuesday Night?

Zap, Jm0513’s comments are spot on. Jewel’s voice is still extremely powerful, and the show was the most unique I’d ever seen due to the variety of sentiments evoked and themes displayed.

Christmas songs were beautiful (which surprised me, as I thought they would be boring). Her classics, such as “Life Uncommon, “Hands,” and “Standing Still,” were beautiful and inspiring and brought me a sense of nostalgia. I didn’t know that some of the cast of the Alaska TV show about her family would be performing with her, so it was also partly a family-themed concert. There were also pictures and old-time video of her family life while she was growing up, which was intriguing, to say the least. I’d read her book a couple of years ago and I marveled at Jewel’s ability and willingness to forgive her father, and that was among the sentiments that spoke loudly to me when they performed together.

All in all there was a lot to take in, as the show was very different from the one I’d seen her do at PNC about 15 years ago. Jewel can (and was) very funny at times with her stories, and her speaking voice is mesmerizingly beautiful. So on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I give it an 8.5.

Reactions: Jm0513
Overall fantastic show. I liked that it was a smaller, intimate gathering. Amazing vocals still at 44.(?) I was skeptical because a lot of singers sound different from how they sounded 20years ago. She sounded basically the same. My only negative comment was Jewel had her brother join in on the one song I was really looking forward to hearing. His voice was eh. Otherwise a really great show. [thumb2] This was my first concert at the Wellmont and besides the fact it was extremely cold inside I would definitely return. (I was on the balcony near a door and there was a draft.)
Lol-
There’s something about the intimacy of the Wellmont that makes the headliners feel comfortable about including family members in the show.
I saw Tony Bennett there a few years ago and he introduced his daughter or granddaughter, can’t remember which.
She was absolutely awful, the audience was kind and respectful because that’s the kind of fan he draws... but it was very awkward.

Lol-
There’s something about the intimacy of the Wellmont that makes the headliners feel comfortable about including family members in the show.
I saw Tony Bennett there a few years ago and he introduced his daughter or granddaughter, can’t remember which.
She was absolutely awful, the audience was kind and respectful because that’s the kind of fan he draws... but it was very awkward.
----
I was at that show also......he remarked about the excellent acoustics of the Wellmont and sang a song acapella to demonstrate

For an old dude he can still project

There seemed to be a bar next to the Wellmont, is this new? I'm often in Montclair, but I hadn't noticed it before last night.

Bottom line is when the popularity of headline acts are reduced to small intimate theatres like this, their shows often reflect the downgrade of their career.
My wife saw Blues Traveler a few weeks ago at the Wellmont, the show was so bad she had to leave to escape the awfulnes.

Not all, but many.

Last edited:
I saw Govt. Mule at the Wellmont about 5 years ago. I guess they were on their up or near their current status, thought the show was very good, and acoustics good. Stood in front with the rest of the young whippersnappers, lol.

When my son was about 14, about 7 years ago, took him to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band, "Get the Led Out', and they were terrific, and sound was excellent.

It's nice you can buy a beer at the back bar.

I saw Govt. Mule at the Wellmont about 5 years ago. I guess they were on their up or near their current status, thought the show was very good, and acoustics good. Stood in front with the rest of the young whippersnappers, lol.

When my son was about 14, about 7 years ago, took him to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band, "Get the Led Out', and they were terrific, and sound was excellent.

It's nice you can buy a beer at the back bar.
You never gonna wrong with Warren Haynes.
Tribute bands are generally great.
If Axel Rose shows up, don’t bother

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Bottom line is when the popularity of headline acts are reduced to small intimate theatres like this, their shows often reflect the downgrade of their career.
My wife saw Blues Traveler a few weeks ago at the Wellmont, the show was so bad she had to leave to escape the awfulnes.

Not all, but many.
Buddy Guy still brings it at 82 years old. See him before he is gone. Guy is happy to be alive and playing for the people. Very entertaining show.

Daughter of Atz Kilcher of Alaska the Last Frontier on the Discovery channel.She was married to a rodeo champ for 4 years. The news cycle of stardom is way too rigid . Her best days were in the 90's but she is still beautiful and talented .
eNJoyed watching such when I had access to cable. Jewel is a real (mountain) cowgirl.

Saw her at PNC. An early season show and the place (even the 100 section) was half empty. Enjoyed but not a big memorable show. What I do remember was that there was a female Swedish duo that opened up and I think they were checking me out!

I had bad luck "also" with Sheryl Crow at PNC. She was in a really p*ssy mood. A band I had never seen "Wilco" opened up and was her equal (and I like Sheryl Crow).

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Jewel has an amazing voice and some very good songs. Would like to see her someday. Love the Wellmont - have seen Gaslight Anthem and the Decemberists there - both excellent shows, as there truly isn't a bad seat in the house. Love venues like this. If folks haven't been, my new favorite is White Eagle Hall in JC - maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the Wellmont in a gorgeous, restored old building.

Maybe I will go back for the Chippendales show at the Wellmont. Hahahaha kidding:D

Reactions: zappaa
Jewel has an amazing voice and some very good songs. Would like to see her someday. Love the Wellmont - have seen Gaslight Anthem and the Decemberists there - both excellent shows, as there truly isn't a bad seat in the house. Love venues like this. If folks haven't been, my new favorite is White Eagle Hall in JC - maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the Wellmont in a gorgeous, restored old building.

Haven't been to the Wellmont in about 5 years when I saw Cake there. Pretty good venue and show.

Buddy Guy still brings it at 82 years old. See him before he is gone. Guy is happy to be alive and playing for the people. Very entertaining show.
Aw, he’s great. Was at his club (Legends) for dinner in the Southside of Chicago. The scheduled act canceled last minute and we were treated to an impromptu jam session featuring him and the house band. The best unexpected show.

There seemed to be a bar next to the Wellmont, is this new? I'm often in Montclair, but I hadn't noticed it before last night.

The bar has been there for a good length of time. Of course it gets crowded the night of most shows. Bad Chardonnay says the wife

There is an entrance from the back of the bar into the
Wellmont theatre, so you don’t even have to go outside the building... Kind of unusual

The bar has been there for a good length of time. Of course it gets crowded the night of most shows. Bad Chardonnay says the wife

There is an entrance from the back of the bar into the
Wellmont theatre, so you don’t even have to go outside the building... Kind of unusual
Thanks, I never noticed the bar before...Yes, that is an odd setup and I'll note no Chardonnay. Lol

Wellmont is my rock place...saw Slash a while back

Mayo is my softer place...see a bunch there

great venues for all kinds of music and love that Mo Town and Montclair are really nice NJ places...near where I grew up so nice to still have a reason to get back in that area...still love going to live shows

will even do the Eddie Trunk thing in Clifton next week...like that Metal show

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT