ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Anyone ever see Clapton live in concert?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
He has two shows coming up in September at the Garden. Does his live performance live up to the billing? Always been a huge fan of his blues work as well as work from the 60s and early 70s.

Reactions: RUReadyD
I saw him in the mid-80s at Brendan Byrne Arena and he was great. Can't vouch for whether he's still putting on a good show today. Of course at my age today, these shows are more of a nostalgia kick than anything, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

Don't expect to see "Cream" Eric Clapton. Especially since he developed nerve damage in his hands. (peripheral neuropathy) But even a slower-Slowhand is worth the show on technique alone. Besides he's 71 and the way that generation is dropping away you may never get another chance. The revamped Garden is a great place to see shows. The sound system is outstanding. It'll be worth it.

Reactions: RUSK97 and zappaa
Saw him at Shea Shea Stadium many yrs ago.....combined concert with Elton John. Clapton was at the top of his game at that time......great show.

Saw him at Shea Shea Stadium many yrs ago.....combined concert with Elton John. Clapton was at the top of his game at that time......great show.
Also saw him at Shea. Saw him a couple of times at small venues in both NYC and New Orleans. Also at the 9/11 benefit concert. The guy was simply amazing. Not sure how he would be now. As someone stated earlier I heard he has nerve damage that may be slowing him down a little .

I saw him play with Delaney & Bonnie which was kind of interesting as he wasn't the front man, just a guy playing guitar in somebody else's band. He was fun to listen to and was as good as advertised. I never saw him in any of his own bands.

Reactions: HeyHuey
I have seen him twice. 1st 1985 in Richmond, VA the Behind the Sun tour. Was outstanding. Then, at MSG in 1994, where he went all blues. Fan's were screaming for "Cocaine" & other earlier hits and he stopped playing and announced "Tonight is the blues and only the blues." and returned to playing. I was not disappointed; another great show.

Saw him at MSG about 6 years ago with Jeff Beck. Beck was better.
Saw Beck and Clapton in a dive bar in New Orleans 2009ish. Visiting clients in the area and one of the clients was very involved in the music scene. He found out they were jamming at a dive bar in mid city and we took our chances. Beck was better but they are both very talented.

I'm not big on seeing Clapton but Gary Clark is playing with him and he might steal the show (Clapton said Clark made him interested in guitar again). As noted the acoustics are great at MSG

Saw Clapton at MSG two years ago and he was fantastic. I'm usually not into shows at large arenas, but as mentioned above, the sound system was impressive.

I'm not big on seeing Clapton but Gary Clark is playing with him and he might steal the show (Clapton said Clark made him interested in guitar again). As noted the acoustics are great at MSG
Gary Clark Jr is seriously talented. Writing, playing and singing.
Saw Clapton a few times. Not much of a showman. Just plays great music. Go if you can.

Gary Clark Jr is seriously talented. Writing, playing and singing.
Saw Clapton a few times. Not much of a showman. Just plays great music. Go if you can.

Gary Clark jr. has a live double cd out that is my favorite thing to listen to these days. Great stuff.
I've seen Clapton lots of times over the years. His current version of "I Shot The Sheriff" is awesome.
Of course I prefer a young Clapton doing "Crossroads". But then I also prefer a young me. Oh well.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Saw him at the Garden maybe 15 years ago. Had great seats because of a lucky connection. He was brilliant.

There is research into the notion of "old age style" that artists in a number of different fields adopt as they get past 60. Not all artists do, but many accommodate to limited physical skills while at the same time having a vast amount of life experience to draw upon to express themselves.

Fluid intelligence starts declining in the late 20's, but crystallized intelligence does not, and there is evidence that older individuals are better at drawing together diverse experiences into new syntheses.

My sense of Clapton is that he doesn't try to be what he was, but is a different, and in some respects, more interesting Clapton than he was as a kid. Of course, he's always been great.

BTW, "fluid intelligence" has been defined as "what we do when we don't know what we are doing." It is the ability to invent new solutions or approaches to solving problems. It's what great mathematicians and physicists do a lot. "Crystallized intelligene", on the other hand, is how well we do the things we know how to do. More mundane, and more related to accumulated knowledge.

Beck has always been the better ax man.
Clapton is still tremendous.
Saw Beck when Tal Wilkenfeld was good to look at.

I was there too. August 1992. Amazing show.

Elton John gave a little speech about a friend he had just lost to AIDS, launched into "The Show Must Go On" and had to walk off because he was crying too hard to finish the song.

Beck has always been the better ax man.
Clapton is still tremendous.
Saw Beck when Tal Wilkenfeld was good to look at.

I nearly fell asleep at a Jeff Beck show. Always found him boring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT