ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone go to the gym today?

I've never been a gym guy, nor a homework out guy, it's been either sports or nothing. But I've just recently started going to physical therapy, and am thinking this will inspire me to working out going forward.

And I think I want to go to the gym to do so because I will not have the discipline to consistently workout at home.

Since my physical therapy is costing me a $70 copay, for very minimal oversight, I may turn in that direction pretty soon.

When the gyms were open, I was working out 6 or 7 days a week. After they closed, I developed a nice home workout regimen which I was faithful to in the beginning but I got lazier and lazier as time wore on. Pretty soon workout time became happy hour. I now have 15 pounds to lose.

Reactions: RU-05
When the gyms were open, I was working out 6 or 7 days a week. After they closed, I developed a nice home workout regimen which I was faithful to in the beginning but I got lazier and lazier as time wore on. Pretty soon workout time became happy hour. I now have 15 pounds to lose.
My plan is to join the gym, and do the classes to keep a regiment. Then work out around those classes. Hoping that keeps me in line.

My plan is to join the gym, and do the classes to keep a regiment. Then work out around those classes. Hoping that keeps me in line.

Good move! They are conducted by trained instructors who will help you exercise correctly and safely. There’s also motivation on a group level which creates peer pressure to keep up and surpass. Best of luck!

Reactions: RU-05
Good move! They are conducted by trained instructors who will help you exercise correctly and safely. There’s also motivation on a group level which creates peer pressure to keep up and surpass. Best of luck!
As I posted above, I had the opposite experience about exercising correctly and safely. I developed ankle issues working out at the gym I belonged to. Both ankles are fine now that I have been working out at home an riding my bike. The gym was a cross-fit type gym with a lot of kettlebell work, box jumps, lunges, etc. I never had any injury issues prior to belonging to this gym. I miss the gym community, but doubt I will go back. For me, diet has a bigger impact on weight loss and maintenance than exercise, but I exercise enough at home to stay conditioned.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
As I posted above, I had the opposite experience about exercising correctly and safely. I developed ankle issues working out at the gym I belonged to. Both ankles are fine now that I have been working out at home an riding my bike. The gym was a cross-fit type gym with a lot of kettlebell work, box jumps, lunges, etc. I never had any injury issues prior to belonging to this gym. I miss the gym community, but doubt I will go back. For me, diet has a bigger impact on weight loss and maintenance than exercise, but I exercise enough at home to stay conditioned.

I developed Achilles tendinitis in my left ankle from over doing it in my gym’s spin class. It took 6 months and several weeks of physical therapy to heal it. Sometimes it’s just a matter of using common sense to avoid injuries. I agree that diet is extremely important because you will never outwork poor eating habits.

+1
It's just a numbers game. You can't burn off a bad diet. Someone can easily over eat by 1,000 calories, very easily. Seriously, what do you need to do everyday to burn off that excess amount of calories? Hours and hours of hardcore cardio and that's just to not gain weight. Hell, burning 500 calories is way too much for most people.

Cardio and exercise are important for overall health, but definitely not weight loss unless you are training to become a Navy Seal or for an Iron Man.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I developed Achilles tendinitis in my left ankle from over doing it in my gym’s spin class. It took 6 months and several weeks of physical therapy to heal it. Sometimes it’s just a matter of using common sense to avoid injuries. I agree that diet is extremely important because you will never outwork poor eating habits.
People need to be very careful about working out when over 35-ish. The body doesn't respond to injuries well any more.

I stopped in at Retro Fitness in Belleville today.They allowed me to freeze my membership until October 13th,after which they would charge my credit card.What they don't know is the credit card that they have on file-as Ron Ziegler would say-inoperative.

I told them that I signed up for a gym that had lockers and showers,not some Huxley hell.

All I'm asking for is for them to freeze my membership at no cost until The Ides of March world is restored-at least most of those conditions.
Good move. My kids went there and was a nightmare to get out of. They wanted in writing to their corporate office and then they continued charging cc

+1
It's just a numbers game. You can't burn off a bad diet. Someone can easily over eat by 1,000 calories, very easily. Seriously, what do you need to do everyday to burn off that excess amount of calories? Hours and hours of hardcore cardio and that's just to not gain weight. Hell, burning 500 calories is way too much for most people.

Cardio and exercise are important for overall health, but definitely not weight loss unless you are training to become a Navy Seal or for an Iron Man.
We have gone back and forth and generally disagreed on the calories in, calories out theory (CICO). While CICO works for quite a few people, it is not necessarily the correct approach for all people, especially those prone to diabetes and who are insulin resistant. For those people (like me), you have to watch your bad carbohydrate and processed food intake. But maybe in the end, it is the same thing. For insulin resistant people (and some others), eating highly processed foods (a lot of these are labeled "low fat" and "healthy" but pack with bad carbohydrates) literally starts a feeding frenzy in the body, and people get hunger pangs and tend to consume more food to satisfy the hunger pangs. When I switched to a keto diet that his heavy on protein and low on carbs, I no longer have food cravings after dinner or during the day. Intermittent fasting is quiet easy--which, in the end leads to a consumption of fewer calories. So, in the end, there is some overlap, but for many people avoiding the bad carbs and processed foods is key to accomplish weight loss and health goals.

As for cardio, if you find something you like- swimming, hiking or bike riding, you can burn a lot of calories and have fun too. I mountain bike ride 2 or3 times a week, and usually burn 2500-3500 calories per ride.

• Love
Reactions: scripts
We have gone back and forth and generally disagreed on the calories in, calories out theory (CICO). While CICO works for quite a few people, it is not necessarily the correct approach for all people, especially those prone to diabetes and who are insulin resistant. For those people (like me), you have to watch your bad carbohydrate and processed food intake. But maybe in the end, it is the same thing. For insulin resistant people (and some others), eating highly processed foods (a lot of these are labeled "low fat" and "healthy" but pack with bad carbohydrates) literally starts a feeding frenzy in the body, and people get hunger pangs and tend to consume more food to satisfy the hunger pangs. When I switched to a keto diet that his heavy on protein and low on carbs, I no longer have food cravings after dinner or during the day. Intermittent fasting is quiet easy--which, in the end leads to a consumption of fewer calories. So, in the end, there is some overlap, but for many people avoiding the bad carbs and processed foods is key to accomplish weight loss and health goals.

As for cardio, if you find something you like- swimming, hiking or bike riding, you can burn a lot of calories and have fun too. I mountain bike ride 2 or3 times a week, and usually burn 2500-3500 calories per ride.
To summarize your first paragraph, you are eating less/consuming less calories and eating the right foods to help you do that (i.e., avoid food cravings during certain times of day). 😀

Seriously, we are saying the same thing, but you are just saying it in a fancier way!

As for burning calories via exercise, most people can't go mountain biking for 2-3 hours. Also, the bigger you are the more calories you burn during exercising. Those calories per ride/session are unrealistic to most people.

To summarize your first paragraph, you are eating less/consuming less calories and eating the right foods to help you do that (i.e., avoid food cravings during certain times of day). 😀

Seriously, we are saying the same thing, but you are just saying it in a fancier way!

As for burning calories via exercise, most people can't go mountain biking for 2-3 hours. Also, the bigger you are the more calories you burn during exercising. Those calories per ride/session are unrealistic to most people.
I'm not that big. I ride a lots of hill and steep inclines in my rides, and usually 80-85% of my rides are in plus 80% of maximum heart rate. I don't aim for this heart rate, but just ride the trails I like and enjoy challenging myself to get to the top of certain hills in certain times.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
And I think I want to go to the gym to do so because I will not have the discipline to consistently workout at home.

Yes, I understand this well. I have some exercise equipment that goes unused.

Somehow going to a gym several times a week is a routine that works for me.

It would be great to save on membership fees and do it at home, but I would not stick with a home workout

I just ordered the UA mask...should be here tomorrow. How do you like it?

My LIfetime gym has been a ghost town. I am there at 6am and it's always pretty busy. Yesterday there were 2 of us on the almost 100 cardio machines. One of the trainers told me that only 3 trainers have returned and that the majority of members have put their membership on freeze until January. The ladies locker room has 450 lockers...I was the only person in there yesterday.

they have done a great job "social distancing" everything.....

lockers with the stickers can't be used
QdAJF8S.jpg

every other sink

wHazydZ.jpg

every other cardio machine can be used

h1MstyH.jpg

basketball court taken over by spin class in order to maintain the 200 square feet per person

vk7JZek.jpg

Interested to hear how the UA mask is too...

Interested to hear how the UA mask is too...

I used it on the treadmill this AM...not a fan. While it's comfortable to wear on your face it's very thick. I found it hot. I ended up taking it off and putting my cloth mask on.

I will try again tomorrow

Went today to the gym and there was only 3 people there. Everybody was about 30-50 feet apart. They won’t reach the 25% limit because people are still scared to go to the gym. More gyms will be going under soon.
Not scared, just not willing to wear a mask to work out.
Same will apply to restaurants with indoor dining.

Everyone always blames the lockdowns for the economic downturn....turns out pandemics are just bad for some businesses.
It’s a little of both.

Is football no longer to dangerous to play?
Not scared, just not willing to wear a mask to work out.
It’s a little of both.

It's a combination :
1. scared for sure. 4 people at work have decided not to return to the gym because they are afraid. I still have friends who have barely left their house since March.
2. don't want to work out with a mask...yep. it sucks. I'm still working on finding the right mask for me
3. now that kids are "back to school" ..but are really home there's going to be less time for people to get to the gym because their kids are home with them and not in school.

It's a combination :
1. scared for sure. 4 people at work have decided not to return to the gym because they are afraid. I still have friends who have barely left their house since March.
2. don't want to work out with a mask...yep. it sucks. I'm still working on finding the right mask for me
3. now that kids are "back to school" ..but are really home there's going to be less time for people to get to the gym because their kids are home with them and not in school.
1. It’s all about the mask for me
2. See #1
3. That’s why we need to get out. LOL

And 4. The view. Not gonna lie. LOL

Last edited:
I went to my gym today, workout with a dumbbell, I feel vigorous!

You seem to be an expert in so many different things. The people around you are so lucky. You seem to be really good at telling people how to do and what to do about just about everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10 and fsg2
It was tough going using an elliptical bike or treadmill wearing a mask, and if you are properly wearing the mask.

A bit less trouble with the weights or weight machines

Still seeing a lot of Cheaters at the club I am at now. Can understand why

You seem to be an expert in so many different things. The people around you are so lucky. You seem to be really good at telling people how to do and what to do about just about everything.
Your obsession with some of the members here is weird.

It was tough going using an elliptical bike or treadmill wearing a mask, and if you are properly wearing the mask.

A bit less trouble with the weights or weight machines

Still seeing a lot of Cheaters at the club I am at now. Can understand why
I'm just doing weights for now at my gym, I'll take my cardio outside.

Reactions: wheezer
Your obsession with some of the members here is weird.
No obsession at all. In the 15 to 30 min I allow myself to be on the boards some posters appear to be all over them and giving opinions on every subject. I was just complementing him Ron. No football news oh well have a great day.

People need to be very careful about working out when over 35-ish. The body doesn't respond to injuries well any more.
What? I started going to the gym when I was OVER 35 and been going ever since. My gym locker lock has 36 years of good service. I did 40 minutes of cardio this morning on my 2nd visit to the gym since reopening. Hope to get to the machines and dumbbells next week. I never have and never will take any of those classes they have now. I've done my own thing the entire time.

Reactions: wheezer
I just informed the governor. He will be stepping up enforcement as a result.
How do you know what a regular night is like in his gym? I've been to plenty of gyms that would have no problem opening up like usual with the strict guidelines put forth from the virus, my gym a crowded night is irregular, not regular.

How do you know what a regular night is like in his gym? I've been to plenty of gyms that would have no problem opening up like usual with the strict guidelines put forth from the virus, my gym a crowded night is irregular, not regular.
the great people in law enforcement can make that determination.

Who is going to go to a gym in the winter if you can't bring a coat and place it in a locker?Dan Aykroyd would say that a lot of these places are going to go belly up by that time.

My gym is still a ghost town, pretty awesome.
Usually I hate empty gyms because I thrive on the energy, when they're empty I tend to drift and take my time or worse pay to much attention to my phone, what I've done to combat it from happening now is leave my phone in the car, that's my worst enemy at the gym.

Reactions: Jm0513
Haven't been back since March and i'm itching to get back! Honestly scared of the unknown but reading the thread it seems like the blue paper mask is the way to go. I haven't heard of any mask restrictions in Delaware so i'll see. Would also like to get a pair of gloves that cover my whole hand.

Who is going to go to a gym in the winter if you can't bring a coat and place it in a locker?Dan Aykroyd would say that a lot of these places are going to go belly up by that time.

Who says you can't use the lockers? There is nothing in the executive order about lockers. My gym has lockers open.. Limited number but they are open.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT